The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (21 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stupot07

Brilliant, Australian deal is expected to add a whopping 0.01-0.02% to our GDP over 15 years.

We need 2000 similar Australian trade deals to compensate for what we've lost being in the single market.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PVA

Our government unwilling to give any details about the deal, because it's a fucking awful one for the UK, but the Australian government have released all the details because it's so great for them.

We basically did the worst deal imaginable just so we could say we've done a deal.

skybluetony176

Our government unwilling to give any details about the deal, because it's a fucking awful one for the UK, but the Australian government have released all the details because it's so great for them.

We basically did the worst deal imaginable just so we could say we've done a deal.
#WEHOLDALLTHECARDS!!

skybluetony176

What will be interesting is seeing how the EU/Australia trade talks conclude. I guarantee there deal would have been better for the U.K. had we remained.

skybluetony176

A country that’s not even part of the G7 tore us a new A hole in trade negotiations and are gloating about it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Liz Truss even knows what she’s signed if the Northern Ireland protocol is anything to go by. At this rate we’ll have to rejoin just to undo this government’s heavily backed against us trade deals.

CCFCSteve

I don’t know enough about the trade deal yet to comment (not sure Haggis does either) but there’s noises about the fact this is potentially a breakthrough trade deal in relation to services (trade deals are usually focussed on goods) and could also lead way to joining Trans-Pacific partnership

The standard is no fan of Brexit yet appears to be alluding to that fact as well.

Also from the FT
Subscribe to read | Financial Times

‘The City also welcomed the deal. Miles Celic, chief executive of TheCityUK lobby group, described the agreement as a “substantial achievement”, adding that it showed “the UK has the ambition and expertise to negotiate real commercial benefits through an independent trade and investment policy”.

Liz Truss, international trade secretary, said on Tuesday it paved the way for the UK to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Trans-Pacific Partnership, a group of 11 countries’

skybluetony176

I don’t know enough about the trade deal yet to comment (not sure Haggis does either) but there’s noises about the fact this is potentially a breakthrough trade deal in relation to services (trade deals are usually focussed on goods) and could also lead way to joining Trans-Pacific partnership

The standard is no fan of Brexit yet appears to be alluding to that fact as well.

Also from the FT
Subscribe to read | Financial Times

‘The City also welcomed the deal. Miles Celic, chief executive of TheCityUK lobby group, described the agreement as a “substantial achievement”, adding that it showed “the UK has the ambition and expertise to negotiate real commercial benefits through an independent trade and investment policy”.

Liz Truss, international trade secretary, said on Tuesday it paved the way for the UK to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Trans-Pacific Partnership, a group of 11 countries’
For me the telling thing is if it was any good the government would be shouting about it from the rooftops. They ain’t. If anything they’re trying to bury it in the cellar. That on its own speaks volumes.

chiefdave

If we've done a deal with Australia what is the advantage to them to allow us into the CPTPP to compete with them?

skybluetony176

If we've done a deal with Australia what is the advantage to them to allow us into the CPTPP to compete with them?
We also have already virtually mirrored the EU/Japan trade deal. I think I read somewhere that NZ want the same deal as Australia or forget it. We’ve already signed a rollover deal with Canada IIRC. I think we did the same with Mexico. Who’s left?

Sounds like they’re using the Comprehensive and Progressive Trans-Pacific Partnership as cloth to polish a turd of a trade deal with Australia.

CCFCSteve

For me the telling thing is if it was any good the government would be shouting about it from the rooftops. They ain’t. If anything they’re trying to bury it in the cellar. That on its own speaks volumes.

If that was the case then why even do it ?! The devil will be in the detail as with all these things. Some good, some bad but both FT and Standard (remain leaning) at least highlighted some positive stuff

skybluetony176

If that was the case then why even do it ?! The devil will be in the detail as with all these things. Some good, some bad but both FT and Standard (remain leaning) at least highlighted some positive stuff
That is true. But here’s the problem. The positives don’t only have to out weigh the negatives within the trade deal itself it also has to out weigh the negatives of leaving the EU to obtain the trade deal with Australia. We have the Australian government saying there are no negatives for them only positives. It’s been muted that we need 2000 of these trade deals to equal being in the EU. And most telling our own government aren’t out selling the positives, even to them it seems an anti climax and they haven’t even disputed the 2000 trade deal claim to my knowledge. That also begs the question. Are there actually 2000 trade deals to be done in the world? I think that there’s only 195 member states of the UN isn’t there? Where’s the other 1804 trade deals coming from exactly?

(edit) just to add. I’ve already mentioned it but the EU and Australia are also deep in trade talks. We’ve also got to measure it against the deal we could have had had we remained in the EU. Should that deal happen of course. I think it’s pretty close to be completed though last I read on it.

Last edited:

PVA

Because the majority don't care about the detail, so the government just have to crow about a trade deal with Australia, call it a Brexit win, and the majority lap it up with 'great job Boris/Liz!'.

skybluetony176

Because the majority don't care about the detail, so the government just have to crow about a trade deal with Australia, call it a Brexit win, and the majority lap it up with 'great job Boris/Liz!'.
Even the Brexit press don’t seem to be waving the flags on this that much.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

A country that’s not even part of the G7 tore us a new A hole in trade negotiations and are gloating about it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Liz Truss even knows what she’s signed if the Northern Ireland protocol is anything to go by. At this rate we’ll have to rejoin just to undo this government’s heavily backed against us trade deals.

Well if the Brexit agreement is anything to go by in 12 months they'll be trying to worm their way out of it and blaming Australia for not playing fair (by which they'll mean they're sticking to the terms of the agreement)

PVA

f1e.png

Sick Boy

What's going on with the EU and AstraZeneca these days?
Different countries have different policies.
They were giving it out to anyone over 18 here if they wanted it but have put it back to over 60s after an 18 year old died from a blood clot.
The majority of vaccines in the EU are Pfizer and Moderna though.

shmmeee

Bloody foreigners stealing our jobs.

If only we had some common way to transmit and store value that could be used as compensation to encourage people to do jobs that aren’t popular. God damn this government and their maximum wage for agriculture/care work/hospitality!!

Evo1883

Here's an idea , wild one as i work in this industry .

Pay them good money and put them on contracts to protect them , instead of trying to get them all on agencies as LTD drivers , and stop trying to squeeze every possible hour from them whilst bending the law in the process .

Simple really

Nobody wants to do the job anymore , this has been happening slowly for years , before brexit infact , less people want to sleep in their cabs ..not a shock
Screenshot_20210619-100102_Chrome.jpg

skybluetony176

Pay them good money and put them on contracts to protect them , instead of trying to get them all on agencies as LTD drivers , and stop trying to squeeze every possible hour from them whilst bending the law in the process .

Simple really

Nobody wants to do the job anymore , this has been happening slowly for years , before brexit infact , less people want to sleep in their cabs ..not a shock
View attachment 20493
Spoken like a true Marxist. Improving working conditions, whatever next. Welcome to the club.

skybluetony176

There is the small point though that we have a complete shortage of workers, not just HGV drivers. Coming over all Marxist and improving working conditions for drivers isn’t going to cure the bigger issue. It just means a small amount of people might say that actually being a lorry driver isn’t that bad after all and give it a go. Not enough British people want to do the jobs where there’s shortages and so long as there’s enough jobs going around that they have the choice not to do them they won’t. It’s as simple as that. EU membership allowed us to fill those gaps and grow the economy to boot. Labour shortages may just yet prove to be the biggest factor in a stalling recovery.

Evo1883

There is the small point though that we have a complete shortage of workers, not just HGV drivers. Coming over all Marxist and improving working conditions for drivers isn’t going to cure the bigger issue. It just means a small amount of people might say that actually being a lorry driver isn’t that bad after all and give it a go. Not enough British people want to do the jobs where there’s shortages and so long as there’s enough jobs going around that they have the choice not to do them they won’t. It’s as simple as that. EU membership allowed us to fill those gaps and grow the economy to boot. Labour shortages may just yet prove to be the biggest factor in a stalling recovery.

Take me for example , moved away from lorry driving because of the hours , lack of time at home and the pay often didn't make it worth the bother .

So I moved into different work , I think the assumption that people want to come from Europe just to drive lorries isn't quite true , Many migrants also just want a healthy work life balance.

The only reason I went back into hgv driving recently is its driving for the council on the bins , 4 days a week and no more than 37.5 hours per week , they also have a strong union .

The amount of people wanting to drive long distance , sleep in their cab for 20 pound a night and only see their family on a weekend is declining rapidly .

In 2018 Europe as a whole was suffering a shortage Screenshot_20210619-105038_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Evo1883

And I think it stems from youngsters , all over the world, getting higher education and aspiring to be more .

Nobody wants to be lonely 5 days a week for 35k a year

shmmeee

Simple really

View attachment 20493

Laughs in employer.

Users who are viewing this thread