Support for Burge (1 Viewer)

steve82

Had the team been announced at the end of the season, he may have got it. Accrington have conceded 2 less than us, but that was before we went and conceded 6 on Monday and voting obviously had been by then.

It does seem that every other week, our GK, be it Burge or LOB, seems to pull off a really good save. Despite the mistakes, I think our goalkeepers have been mostly good. On another thread, we worked out our goalkeepers have ‘only’ cost us 4-6pts. But, in the bigger picture, that’s over 40 games. Even premier league GKs make mistakes. I’m sure most teams have had similar experiences — both Forde and Stech were arguably culperable for at least 1 of our goals. In fact, I just watched the YouTube highlights of the game on Cambridge’s channel and seen the following comments ‘Forde out’, with someone replying to that saying ‘he’s been shit for about 4 straight matches’. As an ex-GK myself, you receive a lot of undue blame for the goals the team conceded and not enough credit for making a good save. Everyone is a self-professed expert on what a ‘keeper should or shouldn’t have done in a given scenario... that is, until they’re the ones between the sticks.

I find it bizarre they’ve called this at this stage of the season, in 4 weeks time would of been right. Still so much to play for and big games to be played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malaka

I think that he has definitely improved this season and will continue to improve. He has definitely gained us more points than he has cost us. As for last season, our defence was piss poor and he cant be faulted for all of the howlers.

stevefloyd

Burge is a good shot stopper but time after time his decision making is very poor, getting under crosses coming out to clear he has cost us a few points this season alone, when he is good you always expect some dopey mistake to happen, and yes I am also an ex goalkeeper but I could catch it, I don't ever remember dropping a cross but it was a long time ago so maybe I did, when I was 11 I let one through my legs...it never happened again, I made sure of that so why can't a professional goalkeeper catch the fucking ball????????????

Mucca Mad Boys

For those slating him

League 2 goalkeeper of the year as voted by the other professional football managers!! What a bunch you lot are

What do the other managers of the league know? We've got a few ex-GKs who maybe played a god-awful standard on the odd-Sunday who now it all!

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah, only an ex-Ireland international in Forde, and a former championship and Czech international in Stech.

#BurgeOut

Conceding the fewest goals isn't necessarily down to the keeper. In our case, I think we've benefitted from having not 2 but 4 solid centre backs and some dreadful opposition finishing. I can't remember many displays where I didn't call out 'what the hell is he doing' because of some bizarre decision making at one point or another. Last season we should've gone for a wise head between the sticks. In the summer, again we should have gone for that but went with another young keeper with even less first team experience. IMO that is one of Robins' only recruitment errors thus far and we need a senior keeper in pronto.

Also something to be said for Oggy's pre-match warm ups. It seems to always consist of catching crosses under no pressure followed by 1 on 1 shot stopping. Which may explain why we have 2 keepers whose shot stopping is very good but who make elementary mistakes at coming for crosses or rushing out.

Adge

He was part of the 17th best defence in L1 last season so how do you work that one out? We didn’t go down because of our defence we went down because we scored the second least amount of goals something you fail to grasp or more likely don’t want to
Squire, I want to put last season firmly under lock and key and never here or speak of it or the halfwits that “represented us” ever again.

Grendel

For those slating him

League 2 goalkeeper of the year as voted by the other professional football managers!! What a bunch you lot are

Last years winner is a reserve in league one isn’t he?

SlowerThanPlatt

It’s team of the season not team of one game otherwise Biamou would be in it. You could also post McNulty’s early season form where he scored 1 in 15 and you said he isn’t good enough for L2

It’s no surprise you refute professional managers votes anyway. You did say Rotherham’s manager lied about bidding for Jordan Willis

Johhny Blue

I have moved about a lot. I still love playing. Always play for who my mates play for. Not bothered if Saturday, Sunday or just a pub side. Only interested in it for the fun. Have had a secure job for years and have never wanted to pack my job in.
Peter Vincenti is that you?

Am I wrong to want to play for fun only?
Peter Vincenti is that you

Adge

It’s team of the season not team of one game otherwise Biamou would be in it. You could also post McNulty’s early season form where he scored 1 in 15 and you said he isn’t good enough for L2

It’s no surprise you refute professional managers votes anyway. You did say Rotherham’s manager lied about bidding for Jordan Willis
Step forward the apologist for every player who people dare to criticise.
Just me was it then?

Astute

You’ve got a high opinion of yourself.....
Why is that?

I worked hard to train for my job. It took me years of studying whilst also working to qualify. I am 50 next week. Through hard work and saving I have reached the stage where I could retire. I might have 5 cars but the newest is a 2008. The next 2 newest are 2003. I don't rent a new car for 3 years and call it mine. If I didn't have 2 young kids still I would be retired.

And yes I can catch a football. I can kick a football. I can organise a defence. And I make saves. Am I supposed to say I am shit to keep you happy?

Maybe the difference is that when I qas younger a GK had to learn how to deal with the ball when opponents were allowed to come flying in at you and make full contact until you had control of the ball. You made sure that if you went fir the ball that you would get it before the other players got you. The game has now gone soft. It used to be a mans game. Now some players trip over their own shadow and expect to get a penalty.

Astute

For those slating him

Is it slating or is it being truthful?

Is GK now a position that you are not allowed to make a comment about the shortfalls of the player?

Nobody has said that his saving of shots is questionable.

Are you saying that he is good at coming for the ball and collecting it? Are you saying that his distribution is any good?

They are the valid points being made.

Astute

That is a bit strong.

You will see that many who point out about his weaknesses also point out that he is Division 4 quality. And that if he could catch the ball and find one of our players with his kicking or throwing.....maybe if he could at least keep the ball on the pitch.......that he would be playing at a higher level.

OK you win. We are a Division 4 side. We should be happy with having Division 4 quality players and be happy to stay in Division 4.

And BTW I well remember that Exeter game. I well remember the drive home. It took me nearly 7 hours. Nearly 7 hours of contemplating another defeat or dropped points because of yet another mistake. There is nothing as lonely as sitting in a car by yourself after a game like that trying nit ti think about it. And it seems to happen in about half the games.

Grendel

torchomatic

For those slating him

They remember him fondly for all the points he's gifted their teams.

Sky Blue Pete

Is it slating or is it being truthful?

Is GK now a position that you are not allowed to make a comment about the shortfalls of the player?

Nobody has said that his saving of shots is questionable.

Are you saying that he is good at coming for the ball and collecting it? Are you saying that his distribution is any good?

They are the valid points being made.
Kicking improved and throwing too. I can’t explain his catching error against Yeovil. It is only 1 facet of his game and it needs improving. Every error he makes is maximised by the position he plays. The flak he gets on here goes way further thsn he has areas of his game to work on. Some think he’s unworthy of a professional contract others say he has areas to work on.

League 2 managers seem to agree with those who think he has areas to work on

skybluesam66

Kicking improved and throwing too. I can’t explain his catching error against Yeovil. It is only 1 facet of his game and it needs improving. Every error he makes is maximised by the position he plays. The flak he gets on here goes way further thsn he has areas of his game to work on. Some think he’s unworthy of a professional contract others say he has areas to work on.

I also agree he has areas to work on

The 2 penalty areas

covcity4life

they say you cannot polish a turd but we have with burge

he was utter shite. now less so. but hes still poo sometimes.

Astute

He has more defend him than have a go for no reason.

So defenders don't get noticed as much?

His distribution needs to improve still. Each time he gives it away our opponents come straight back at us.

Grendel

How many league managers? In theory it could be 2 couldn’t it?

Users who are viewing this thread