Support for Burge (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
I don't get who judges this, this apparently makes him the best goalkeeper in the football league?

Is there something I am missing that makes him that?

steve82

Feel sorry for the lad though. He has made some outstanding saves. Saves i will never forget. Last minute of checkatrade final. And recently away at Newport. And many others. Hes a good shot stopper But everything else that a keeper has to do needs much improving.

But we need to get behind him till the end of the season.

Yep, excellent shotstopper, but of course there is so much more to a keeper's game than that.

1. Decision making
2. Command of the area
3. Distribution
4. Organising of the back four

Of course we should fully back him and I have never sarcastically cheered when he has caught the ball after a mistake and have never got on his back during a game. I save all my critique for on here.

This is where the question comes has he improved from the weak figure we seen last season. The answer for me is no.

As we’ve stated he’s a great at shot stopping and reaction saves which we’ve all applauded and gave due praise for. However as Otis points out 4 key areas of a keepers game have shown no improvement of sorts. It’s been masked by the early form of the defensive unit.

Now that defensive unit is struggling he’s looking exposed to the 4 key areas he’s struggling with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PVA

If you watch the highlight of League 2 games, almost every other goal is a keeper error.

Burge is fine for this level and in fact is one of the best in the league.

Is he a great keeper? Obviously not. Is he good enough for League 2, definitely.

I'm sure some people seem to forget that we are in division 4 when rating some of our players.

Johhny Blue

I'm a GK. It is all about confidence. I am always confident. It is about organising the defence. Players need to be able to hear me. It is about distribution. I can kick to the other area. I can throw the ball into the other half putting spin on the ball and curl the ball from centre of pitch to the wing and set a player running. My players know what I will do and are ready for it.

When Burge saves well I say so. So do many others. But when he makes another schoolboy error we have the right to say so. He isn't above criticism. If he can't handle it he should take up knitting. Or he should man up.
You're the MAN

Brighton Sky Blue

Although I do agree with the Oggy needs to take note and the lack of improvement from ANY keeper under his watch is just shocking.
You do however have to understand that Monday to Friday at Ryton is the time to TRAIN keepers.
i.e strength training, crosses under pressure etc etc. At 2.30 on a Saturday isn't for training or for show for the fans, it is purely and simply there to stretch and warm the players up. Imagine both Biamou and Burge get injured at 2.45 over doing the warm up. What then?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I know that-but the warm-ups give you a bit of an insight into what they get up to during the week and what they prefer to focus on. Of course I could be totally wrong and they might work on that stuff a lot in training-doesn't look like it though.

pastythegreat

I know that-but the warm-ups give you a bit of an insight into what they get up to during the week and what they prefer to focus on. Of course I could be totally wrong and they might work on that stuff a lot in training-doesn't look like it though.
Like I said, they don't warm up before games as a show for the fans. It's purely 100% to warm and stretch to avoid injury.
What they do in training is train.
What they do on the warm up is warm up. They're two completely different things for two completely different reasons.
What you want to see is irrelevant to what they need to do.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Liquid Gold

Typical Burge performance today. Decent save from a shot in the first half. Flapped and dropped a cross and gave away a penalty.

Irish Sky Blue

Which team have you seen this season who warm up their goalkeepers in a different way? It seem to be the same for all teams from what I have seen.

Users who are viewing this thread