Support for Burge (2 Viewers)

87mint

Oh come on, I am right 90% of the time! So I get the odd one wrong like Maddison who has really progressed with a better set up, coaching and players in the Norwich squad.
You can file Burge in the 90% if you like which is what the thread is about after all.:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
OMG did you not rate Madders?!?!?!

Adge

OMG did you not rate Madders?!?!?!
Not really-couldn't get on with him firing himself on the ground at every opportunity and didn't really believe in the hype. But fair play, he's certainly proved me wrong.

Mucca Mad Boys

Conceding the fewest goals isn't necessarily down to the keeper. In our case, I think we've benefitted from having not 2 but 4 solid centre backs and some dreadful opposition finishing. I can't remember many displays where I didn't call out 'what the hell is he doing' because of some bizarre decision making at one point or another. Last season we should've gone for a wise head between the sticks. In the summer, again we should have gone for that but went with another young keeper with even less first team experience. IMO that is one of Robins' only recruitment errors thus far and we need a senior keeper in pronto.

Also something to be said for Oggy's pre-match warm ups. It seems to always consist of catching crosses under no pressure followed by 1 on 1 shot stopping. Which may explain why we have 2 keepers whose shot stopping is very good but who make elementary mistakes at coming for crosses or rushing out.

‘one of Robins' only recruitment errors thus far and we need a senior keeper in pronto’

We’re in a league with an abundance of ‘senior keepers’, yet our GK has been judged by fellow football managers, not statistics, to be the best in the league.
He’s made 3 howlers which he has directly led to a goal being scored (4 with Luton, but JCH lost his marker, so it’s not 100% down to Burge, but a 50/50). In a 46 game season, that’s a mistake every 10-15 games. Over that many games, you’re bound to make a few mistakes. As I’ve noted, even Cambridge fans were moaning about their GK, also rated in the Top 3 GKs, saying ‘Forde out’, ‘he’s been shit for 4 straight games now’. Yet, us Cov fans on here speak positively of him. I’m sure there have been opposition fans who’ve come away from playing us highly rating Burge — he seems to make a lot of v good saves.

With all due respect, signing a GK is literally one of our lowest priorities. I think we’d need 4-5 players and then a top-end L1 to lower level Champ GK becoming available to us to even consider signing a GK.

Also, we’ve had the best defence in the league for most of the games this season. The goalkeeper and his defence is a unit. Burge and the defence has done very well over the course of the season. Take his ‘world class’ (term branded about way too often for my liking) save v Newport, kept us in a game we’re ended up drawing. To Yeovil, which his mistake was followed up by a catalogue of mistakes elsewhere. From abject defending to missing clear cut chances — can hardly lay the blame for that loss on him or other people’s mistakes.

One last point, I think Burge, Haynes and Willis (to a lesser extent) are tainted with the failures of past Cov teams. People seemingly had rose tinted glasses for McDonald, suggesting we could even sell Willis! Over the season, however, it has become increasingly clear he is our undisputed best CB. Stokes hasn’t been the same for a long time, but Haynes takes a lot of undue stock imo. The most recent example is Monday, he was the only defender not to be directly culperable for a goal (no achievement because he played badly anyway). Yet, by the way a few people harked on, you’d have thought he was responsible for most of the goals.

Mucca Mad Boys

Not really-couldn't get on with him firing himself on the ground at every opportunity and didn't really believe in the hype. But fair play, he's certainly proved me wrong.

Oh, and Bayliss. A significant of people seen your twitter antics on that!

Pick your next youngster to pick on, he’ll probably end up being a superstar too!

Brighton Sky Blue

‘one of Robins' only recruitment errors thus far and we need a senior keeper in pronto’

We’re in a league with an abundance of ‘senior keepers’, yet our GK has been judged by fellow football managers, not statistics, to be the best in the league.
He’s made 3 howlers which he has directly led to a goal being scored (4 with Luton, but JCH lost his marker, so it’s not 100% down to Burge, but a 50/50). In a 46 game season, that’s a mistake every 10-15 games. Over that many games, you’re bound to make a few mistakes. As I’ve noted, even Cambridge fans were moaning about their GK, also rated in the Top 3 GKs, saying ‘Forde out’, ‘he’s been shit for 4 straight games now’. Yet, us Cov fans on here speak positively of him. I’m sure there have been opposition fans who’ve come away from playing us highly rating Burge — he seems to make a lot of v good saves.

With all due respect, signing a GK is literally one of our lowest priorities. I think we’d need 4-5 players and then a top-end L1 to lower level Champ GK becoming available to us to even consider signing a GK.

Also, we’ve had the best defence in the league for most of the games this season. The goalkeeper and his defence is a unit. Burge and the defence has done very well over the course of the season. Take his ‘world class’ (term branded about way too often for my liking) save v Newport, kept us in a game we’re ended up drawing. To Yeovil, which his mistake was followed up by a catalogue of mistakes elsewhere. From abject defending to missing clear cut chances — can hardly lay the blame for that loss on him or other people’s mistakes.

One last point, I think Burge, Haynes and Willis (to a lesser extent) are tainted with the failures of past Cov teams. People seemingly had rose tinted glasses for McDonald, suggesting we could even sell Willis! Over the season, however, it has become increasingly clear he is our undisputed best CB. Stokes hasn’t been the same for a long time, but Haynes takes a lot of undue stock imo. The most recent example is Monday, he was the only defender not to be directly culperable for a goal (no achievement because he played badly anyway). Yet, by the way a few people harked on, you’d have thought he was responsible for most of the goals.

I've praised Burge's shot stopping for most of the season-that's never been the issue. We let RCC go in the summer presumably because we wanted an upgrade, and we sign O'Brien who is of a similar age with less game time to his name. 3 howlers lead directly to goals but so much else goes unpunished. Case in point Grimsby, where Haynes shanks a simple clearance up into the sky, Burge sprints out of his area, falls over and then runs into Hyam on the way back-somehow they didn't score. Punished or not there's usually a moment of madness every 1-2 weeks and shite kicking on a near weekly basis. We get away with it because we're playing dreadful teams. Oggy doesn't escape criticism either, he has to put a bit more thought into their training and pre match routines because evidently catching crosses in an empty box isn't cutting it.

On your last point-they have sunk 1 or 2 divisions, so yes they should start to perform well. Of course Monday's result wasn't just down to him, he wasn't even on for half the game. But let's think to games like Exeter away where a trademark mad dash out of goal costs us the only goal of the game. Plus all the other times he made a clanger and got away with it.

Mucca Mad Boys

I've praised Burge's shot stopping for most of the season-that's never been the issue. We let RCC go in the summer presumably because we wanted an upgrade, and we sign O'Brien who is of a similar age with less game time to his name. 3 howlers lead directly to goals but so much else goes unpunished. Case in point Grimsby, where Haynes shanks a simple clearance up into the sky, Burge sprints out of his area, falls over and then runs into Hyam on the way back-somehow they didn't score. Punished or not there's usually a moment of madness every 1-2 weeks and shite kicking on a near weekly basis. We get away with it because we're playing dreadful teams. Oggy doesn't escape criticism either, he has to put a bit more thought into their training and pre match routines because evidently catching crosses in an empty box isn't cutting it.

On your last point-they have sunk 1 or 2 divisions, so yes they should start to perform well. Of course Monday's result wasn't just down to him, he wasn't even on for half the game. But let's think to games like Exeter away where a trademark mad dash out of goal costs us the only goal of the game. Plus all the other times he made a clanger and got away with it.

Despite all the ‘moments of madness’, and the mistakes that led to goals, he was still voted by other L2 managers to have been the best GK they have seen all season. Managers, who, unlike the vast majority of us on here, has seen every GK play against their team and the name who stuck out for most of them, was ‘Lee Burge’. Clearly, he isn’t as bad as some people make out and clearly, we don’t need to sign a new GK. It’s very low priority.

I also think you’re possibly missing the bigger picture. The problem hasn’t been GKs messing up, it’s clearly a lack of goals. Of the games our GKs have messed up, nearly all of those mistakes costing us goals have come in the first half. FGR (H) and Yeovil (A) within the first half hour, Yeovil (H) and Exeter (A) came in the first 10m. Only Newport (H) was the only 2nd half mistake that springs to mind (Luton too, but that was more collective — the others are explicit GK mistakes). We had time to turn these games around but didn’t. Case and point, Yeovil (H) and Exeter (A), Biamou missed a howler to equalise it and Vincenti missed a far post tap in to level it 1-1 straight after Burge’s mistake.

We’re the lowest scorers in the top half, we don’t score enough goals from midfield or the defence — our set pieces don’t put teams under pressure. Looking at a couple of GK mistakes over 40 games, in my mind, is pretty elementary and doesn’t come close to the real issue. In fact, if dissected defending mistakes, I think we’d find they’re far more plenty than Burge and LOB’s mistakes. In a 50-55 game season, they’re going to be plenty mistakes to nitpick at.

Brighton Sky Blue

Despite all the ‘moments of madness’, and the mistakes that led to goals, he was still voted by other L2 managers to have been the best GK they have seen all season. Managers, who, unlike the vast majority of us on here, has seen every GK play against their team and the name who stuck out for most of them, was ‘Lee Burge’. Clearly, he isn’t as bad as some people make out and clearly, we don’t need to sign a new GK. It’s very low priority.

I also think you’re possibly missing the bigger picture. The problem hasn’t been GKs messing up, it’s clearly a lack of goals. Of the games our GKs have messed up, nearly all of those mistakes costing us goals have come in the first half. FGR (H) and Yeovil (A) within the first half hour, Yeovil (H) and Exeter (A) came in the first 10m. Only Newport (H) was the only 2nd half mistake that springs to mind (Luton too, but that was more collective — the others are explicit GK mistakes). We had time to turn these games around but didn’t. Case and point, Yeovil (H) and Exeter (A), Biamou missed a howler to equalise it and Vincenti missed a far post tap in to level it 1-1 straight after Burge’s mistake.

We’re the lowest scorers in the top half, we don’t score enough goals from midfield or the defence — our set pieces don’t put teams under pressure. Looking at a couple of GK mistakes over 40 games, in my mind, is pretty elementary and doesn’t come close to the real issue. In fact, if dissected defending mistakes, I think we’d find they’re far more plenty than Burge and LOB’s mistakes. In a 50-55 game season, they’re going to be plenty mistakes to nitpick at.

I thought Burge was the focus of the thread, I'm happy to discuss the wider reasons why we find ourselves clinging on to 7th for dear life if you want though. We felt the need to replace keepers in the summer and safe to say that hasn't been a riproaring success because of the kind of player we went for. Andreu and Jones have been big losses, Biamou was missing all over the place for the first half of the season and the general way Robins set the team up has been too negative too often. There's a multitude of factors, I accept that. On shot stopping alone, he's very good indeed. Is it asking too much of a professional keeper to not make insane dashes out of his goal, or to not punt kicks vertically or straight out of play?

christonabike

4 pages of total toss. He is struggling to be a commanding keeper, every other keeper we play or near enough play "blinders" against us. He had a mare of a first half and was subbed. He is no different to a striker or anyone else.
FFS we are implying he was shit and dragged off, he was injured and replaced. Why the love in for a bang average keeper in the old division 4 where non league welders and bar men ply their trade in the division below. Just because we are CCFC in a lovely stadium with 6-8k fans doesnt change what and where we are. We would off pissed this league if we had a team of superstars.
Rant over.

Mucca Mad Boys

I thought Burge was the focus of the thread, I'm happy to discuss the wider reasons why we find ourselves clinging on to 7th for dear life if you want though. We felt the need to replace keepers in the summer and safe to say that hasn't been a riproaring success because of the kind of player we went for. Andreu and Jones have been big losses, Biamou was missing all over the place for the first half of the season and the general way Robins set the team up has been too negative too often. There's a multitude of factors, I accept that. On shot stopping alone, he's very good indeed. Is it asking too much of a professional keeper to not make insane dashes out of his goal, or to not punt kicks vertically or straight out of play?

He is very much still the focus of the thread.

When you make the claim that one of Robins’ ‘only’ recruitment errors was not signing a GK, when our current GK has been named in L2 TOTY — that doesn’t seem to quite add up. At worst, he’s not actually the best in the league, but he’s ‘up there’. At best, he actually is the best in the league, overall. Either way, would signing a ‘senior’ GK make a difference? The likelihood is no, no it wouldn’t.

Also, when people like yourself bring up examples like the Exeter loss — where he did make a mistake after 7m. But, framing them as his fault for the said result isn’t exactly true. In that game, Biamou missed an absolute gem of a chance — so it’s not as simple as ‘Burge did this and we lost because of that’, which leads to ‘we’d be 4-5th had to not been for Burge’...

I’d rather a GK who’s a v good shot stopper at the sacrifice of goal kicking. It’s apprant that Robins thinks that. Ultimately, shot stopping is the attribute I rate the highest. Even Murphy and Westwood weren’t the best at claiming crosses themselves — they were fantastic shot stoppers.

The bottom line is, he’s recognised by professionals as one of the best GKs in this division. So, I suspect the kind of GK you think we should/should’ve signed is either out of our reach, or a unicorn.

One last point, Burge has made 3-4 mistakes over 35+ games? The defence managed that last game. It doesn’t make our defence a bad one — Hyam, for example, hasn’t become a bad defender after his horror show v Yeovil.

Mucca Mad Boys

We would certainly be in a better position if it wasn't for his 'lapses' for sure

Absolutely! On a similar note, if no one in our team had ‘lapses’, we’d be top of the league with 0 losses! Imagine if McNulty, JCH or Biamou never missed any of their chances?!

Brighton Sky Blue

He is very much still the focus of the thread.

When you make the claim that one of Robins’ ‘only’ recruitment errors was not signing a GK, when our current GK has been named in L2 TOTY — that doesn’t seem to quite add up. At worst, he’s not actually the best in the league, but he’s ‘up there’. At best, he actually is the best in the league, overall. Either way, would signing a ‘senior’ GK make a difference? The likelihood is no, no it wouldn’t.

Also, when people like yourself bring up examples like the Exeter loss — where he did make a mistake after 7m. But, framing them as his fault for the said result isn’t exactly true. In that game, Biamou missed an absolute gem of a chance — so it’s not as simple as ‘Burge did this and we lost because of that’, which leads to ‘we’d be 4-5th had to not been for Burge’...

I’d rather a GK who’s a v good shot stopper at the sacrifice of goal kicking. It’s apprant that Robins thinks that. Ultimately, shot stopping is the attribute I rate the highest. Even Murphy and Westwood weren’t the best at claiming crosses themselves — they were fantastic shot stoppers.

The bottom line is, he’s recognised by professionals as one of the best GKs in this division. So, I suspect the kind of GK you think we should/should’ve signed is either out of our reach, or a unicorn.

One last point, Burge has made 3-4 mistakes over 35+ games? The defence managed that last game. It doesn’t make our defence a bad one — Hyam, for example, hasn’t become a bad defender after his horror show v Yeovil.
3-4 mistakes that directly led to goals, he has made many more which haven't and that is only down to shit opposition. However I didn't say the error was not to sign a GK, I said the error was signing O'Brien as a replacement for RCC. This isn't like Rob Green letting through that one against the USA, this is persistent mad dashes out of goal and gifts of possession that create more work for him in the end.

I ask again-am I expecting too much?

Mucca Mad Boys

3-4 mistakes that directly led to goals, he has made many more which haven't and that is only down to shit opposition. However I didn't say the error was not to sign a GK, I said the error was signing O'Brien as a replacement for RCC. This isn't like Rob Green letting through that one against the USA, this is persistent mad dashes out of goal and gifts of possession that create more work for him in the end.

Well no, you said not signing a senior GK (btw, that’s v vague) ‘one of Robins’ only recruitment errors’ — which implies you mean a first choice as what senior GK would be happy benching?

Yes you I think you are asking too much. He’s a L2 GK, and can by every metric, a top 3 GK in the league we’re in. Evidently, despite his drawbacks, he’s positives outweigh the negatives. MR and his peers recognise that, the stats show that and clearly, the only people who don’t seem to rate him is our own fans. I’m going to put this into perspective, both Stech and Forde have played in Championship and international football — that’s his competition.

If you want anymore than that, you’re looking at a top end L1 to Championship GK.

Adge

Oh, and Bayliss. A significant of people seen your twitter antics on that!

Pick your next youngster to pick on, he’ll probably end up being a superstar too!
What was that then? Think I told him to go and find a decent club didn’t I?

stevefloyd

I don't think so, I would like to think a league 2 goalkeeper would make the odd mistake but to be honest {and if everyone here is honest too} almost every time the ball goes near him with a back pass or cross I am expecting another cock up from him he don't really inspire confidence.

JWC

I am one of those that never has a go at players during a game.

Are you saying that we are not allowed to mention shortfalls of players? Not allowed to mention mistakes made by players?

Do you only ever talk about the good things our players do and never mention the bad?

Fair play for not criticising at games. Of course I mention the bad, but I tend to look at it from the perspective of the players being League 2 standard. Much easier and less depressing that way. I think the level they're at gets overlooked all the time and people expect far too much.

And of course you're allowed to mention shortfalls, but the amount of shit given to him seems disproportionately unfair to me.

Reactions: vow

JWC

They choked big time in front of one of the biggest crowds in the league's recent history. Considering the decades of bottom half finishes this club is pretty well supported.

Absolutely we've got great support, but god help the scapegoat or two we make each season when they make a mistake. Sticks with them for the rest of time.

Reactions: vow

Brighton Sky Blue

Absolutely we've got great support, but god help the scapegoat or two we make each season when they make a mistake. Sticks with them for the rest of time.

Disagree, these things can be and have been turned around with changes in form, using McNulty and possibly Biamou as examples this year. 2 relegations in 5 years mixed in with a self-imposed exile. Yes there was Checkafuckwit as some respite but by and large the frustration chucked at a few players is really meant for a club which has given very little to cheer about. In a roundabout way it shows people still have some passion left despite the decline.

Brighton Sky Blue

Well no, you said not signing a senior GK (btw, that’s v vague) ‘one of Robins’ only recruitment errors’ — which implies you mean a first choice as what senior GK would be happy benching?

Yes you I think you are asking too much. He’s a L2 GK, and can by every metric, a top 3 GK in the league we’re in. Evidently, despite his drawbacks, he’s positives outweigh the negatives. MR and his peers recognise that, the stats show that and clearly, the only people who don’t seem to rate him is our own fans. I’m going to put this into perspective, both Stech and Forde have played in Championship and international football — that’s his competition.

If you want anymore than that, you’re looking at a top end L1 to Championship GK.

OK to be clear, I mean 'experienced'. Away from semantics, no, I said replacing RCC with another inexperienced head in O'Brien was a recruitment error as he's no improvement on what we already had. Old heads in goal are 10 a penny at this level and wouldn't make half as many errors in judgment. Yes in L2 Burge has gotten away with it and the stats are on his side, but performances I think are not. And let's suppose performances were good, there is still nothing wrong with wanting our better performers to push themselves further. Perhaps I am asking too much of a L2 keeper, but that's because he's spent most of his career at a higher level.

Adge

OK to be clear, I mean 'experienced'. Away from semantics, no, I said replacing RCC with another inexperienced head in O'Brien was a recruitment error as he's no improvement on what we already had. Old heads in goal are 10 a penny at this level and wouldn't make half as many errors in judgment. Yes in L2 Burge has gotten away with it and the stats are on his side, but performances I think are not. And let's suppose performances were good, there is still nothing wrong with wanting our better performers to push themselves further. Perhaps I am asking too much of a L2 keeper, but that's because he's spent most of his career at a higher level.
What is more alarming is that certain people think he can play at a higher level too!:banghead:

Astute

That is it. It must be my fault. Time, distance and other commitments like work mean I miss most games. And I have seen more than the 3 to 4 mistakes you mention. And that is without the poor distribution that keeps us under pressure.

Astute

Fair play for not criticising at games. Of course I mention the bad, but I tend to look at it from the perspective of the players being League 2 standard. Much easier and less depressing that way. I think the level they're at gets overlooked all the time and people expect far too much.

And of course you're allowed to mention shortfalls, but the amount of shit given to him seems disproportionately unfair to me.
But name a player that doesn't get highlighted.

If you have the time try reading through a thread or two which are about the games. The most common mistakes are from Burge. And yes you will see excellent saves. But then consider how well the opponents GK frequently do against us.

Burge isn't shit. But he should have worked out when to come out or stay by now. He should have learned how to catch a ball by now. And as for his kicking.....

TewkesburySkyBlue

If Burge is the best keeper in League Two I assume there will be bids for him in the summer .Not.
Ok he’s pretty good most of the time but I don’t trust him to avoid stupid mistakes.And yes of course this is the Fourth Division so we can’t expect De Gea but sorry if I was manager Id have looked elsewhere a long time ago.

Sick Boy

If we manage to go up then a new GK should be a top priority.

Liquid Gold

Every time I've taken a neutral to a game this season they've made a comment about how Burge has done something stupid that has put us on the back foot. Must be about 10 people who've said we need a new keeper independently. The only horror show I've seen in our favour this year is Clarke and Grimsby keeper messing it up in the first game of the season. Burge pulls something out most games and, unless he's on peanuts, I think we could spend the money better.

ccfcricoh

We have the best defence in the league... as far as i'm concerned Burge is part of that.

We are in the bottom half in terms of goals scored. if we don't go up this season goals scored is the main reason for that.

Nick

Administrator
We have the best defence in the league... as far as i'm concerned Burge is part of that.

We are in the bottom half in terms of goals scored. if we don't go up this season goals scored is the main reason for that.

Thats because the majority of the season we have had 7 in defence if you include Burge.

ccfcricoh

Thats because the majority of the season we have had 7 in defence if you include Burge.
Appreciate that, but if that's the case surely Robins should take the flack for crap formation/selections?

Burges mistakes have cost us less points than not scoring (at all/more) against the likes of Chesterfield/Barnet/Forest Green/Morecambe/Port Vale

stevefloyd

Look to try and put this to bed once and for all...I don't mind Burge but there are definitely better goalkeepers out there, now whether or not they would come play in in league 1/2 is another thing! Burge is a decent enough shot stopper but what else does he have going for him?? Collecting crosses=nope, decision making coming out of goal+ nope, Kicking from his hands=erring towards nope, kicking off the floor= nope, throwing the ball out= nope so in most of the duties a goalkeeper is expected to be ok in he fails, I have played enough games on a Saturday and Sunday in non leagues where some of the goalkeepers are fantastic week in week out these are guys that work monday to friday in their 'mundane' jobs and play at weekends, now if they don't make too many mistakes why should we have to expect 'our' goalie for 'our' team to make fuck up after fuck up...at the minute he has the gloves lets see how long he will keep them!!!!

SlowerThanPlatt

Look to try and put this to bed once and for all...I don't mind Burge but there are definitely better goalkeepers out there, now whether or not they would come play in in league 1/2 is another thing! Burge is a decent enough shot stopper but what else does he have going for him?? Collecting crosses=nope, decision making coming out of goal+ nope, Kicking from his hands=erring towards nope, kicking off the floor= nope, throwing the ball out= nope so in most of the duties a goalkeeper is expected to be ok in he fails, I have played enough games on a Saturday and Sunday in non leagues where some of the goalkeepers are fantastic week in week out these are guys that work monday to friday in their 'mundane' jobs and play at weekends, now if they don't make too many mistakes why should we have to expect 'our' goalie for 'our' team to make fuck up after fuck up...at the minute he has the gloves lets see how long he will keep them!!!!

Because you are comparing two completely different standards of football. It's like saying if someone can score 40 at Sunday league level why can't any of our players

Users who are viewing this thread