Support for Burge (2 Viewers)

Bumberclart

I've read a lot of criticism of Burge and I thought it was time that the Goalkeepers Union offered some support.I've played in goal for years, so feel a bit defensive towards him.
Being a keeper is the most thankless position on the field (excluding the officials).
If you keep a clean sheet, that's your job.
If you make a mistake everyone remembers.

Yes, Burge has made mistakes this season. But, he's also saved us a few points in other games. Nobody in the squad has been immune from errors this season.
Don't forget, as a keeper, you spend long periods of the game stood around spectating. This gives you plenty of time to focus on an error you've made and also makes it easy to hear and digest negativity coming from the stands.
There's a reason he is at City and not Real Madrid. He's a good L2 keeper, and nothing more.
I would like to have seen a bit more progression from Burge, but some people simply reach their peak and go no further.

Lets get behind the lad instead of slating him.

I do however question the Gk coaching at City, and wonder if its time for a change. Having watched Oggy take GK warm up for years, very little seems to have changed. Is is time for some new ideas in this department?

pusbccfc

As I said on the other thread. Many people will always slate him.

Joy Division

You can't coach this many mistakes out of a goalkeeper, its purely a mental thing which suggests a change is needed. I don't think O'Brien is the answer either.

oucho

For me he's just not imposing enough. I'd prefer an older keeper with more physicality, to radiate a greater sense of confidence. Like Murphy but with a tendency to catch rather than parry.

Liquid Gold

He's had way more good games than bad games. Some people do slate him all the time. I'll praise him when he does well and point out when he's been shit as I would with all players.
As would I. I'm more on the dislike side of him as I see too many errors in his general play but when he's had a good game he deserves the plaudits, like against Newport, but some people will never praise him. Conversely when he throws points away he deserves the criticism and some people will defend him no matter what. Probably the most divisive player I've ever seen.

steve82

He’s a good value league two keeper end of the day, he ticks some boxes but not them all by a long shot and has his flaws.

You can understand why he’s been voted in the team of the season as he’s kept a healthy amount of clean sheets and made some wonderful saves to parent the opposition gaining points of us so gets plaudits for that. You’d be pushed to question his shot stopping ability.

We’ve all scared tho by his previous howlers and know he’s that in his locker to drop a clanger at any given moment. He’s performing at his level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Covstu

He is a decent keeper at this level and the one above, there is no coincidence why we have a decent defensive record. Fair play to him for the award

Adge

He is a decent keeper at this level and the one above, there is no coincidence why we have a decent defensive record. Fair play to him for the award
Nope-wouldn’t/won’t cut it at L1 level as we have seen last season.

coop

Forest Green,Luton and Yeovil are the mistakes at home that I can remember but he can't be blamed for us losing 6-2 after his howler there was 85 minutes left.The thing is being a goalkeeper mistakes cost goals and no one moans about the striker who has missed two or three good chances as long as he gets one.

Astute

I've read a lot of criticism of Burge and I thought it was time that the Goalkeepers Union offered some support.I've played in goal for years, so feel a bit defensive towards him.
Being a keeper is the most thankless position on the field (excluding the officials).
If you keep a clean sheet, that's your job.
If you make a mistake everyone remembers.

Yes, Burge has made mistakes this season. But, he's also saved us a few points in other games. Nobody in the squad has been immune from errors this season.
Don't forget, as a keeper, you spend long periods of the game stood around spectating. This gives you plenty of time to focus on an error you've made and also makes it easy to hear and digest negativity coming from the stands.
There's a reason he is at City and not Real Madrid. He's a good L2 keeper, and nothing more.
I would like to have seen a bit more progression from Burge, but some people simply reach their peak and go no further.

Lets get behind the lad instead of slating him.

I do however question the Gk coaching at City, and wonder if its time for a change. Having watched Oggy take GK warm up for years, very little seems to have changed. Is is time for some new ideas in this department?
I'm a GK. It is all about confidence. I am always confident. It is about organising the defence. Players need to be able to hear me. It is about distribution. I can kick to the other area. I can throw the ball into the other half putting spin on the ball and curl the ball from centre of pitch to the wing and set a player running. My players know what I will do and are ready for it.

When Burge saves well I say so. So do many others. But when he makes another schoolboy error we have the right to say so. He isn't above criticism. If he can't handle it he should take up knitting. Or he should man up.

SlowerThanPlatt

I'm a GK. It is all about confidence. I am always confident. It is about organising the defence. Players need to be able to hear me. It is about distribution. I can kick to the other area. I can throw the ball into the other half putting spin on the ball and curl the ball from centre of pitch to the wing and set a player running. My players know what I will do and are ready for it.

When Burge saves well I say so. So do many others. But when he makes another schoolboy error we have the right to say so. He isn't above criticism. If he can't handle it he should take up knitting. Or he should man up.

With the greatest of respect, I imagine it’s a little more difficult playing against professional teams and athletes compared to whatever standard you play at

Johhny Blue

Are you busy on Saturday?

steve82

Because he's up against pure garbage for the award.

Yeah, only an ex-Ireland international in Forde, and a former championship and Czech international in Stech.

#BurgeOut

I’ve seen David Forde have a bad afternoon once or twice this season for Cambridge on the highlights but his clean sheets numbers are impressive for a side who’ve struggled to find much form this season.

Many are over looking or unaware of Accrington’s Arron Chapman too, he’s been excellent this year and Accrington have only conceded 2 more goals I think and has kept a similar number of clean sheets to Lee Burge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Astute

With the greatest of respect, I imagine it’s a little more difficult playing against professional teams and athletes compared to whatever standard you play at
I was more interested in drugs and having a good time when I was younger. I once got sent off for smoking a spliff during a game. Yes we all make our mistakes.

Every time I have gone for a trial I have performed well. But I still wouldn't want to be a professional footballer. I like the anonymity I have.

There is better than Burge playing outside the FL. Some haven't been spotted. Some don't want it. Going professional would mean giving up a job. Football is such a short career.

SlowerThanPlatt

I was more interested in drugs and having a good time when I was younger. I once got sent off for smoking a spliff during a game. Yes we all make our mistakes.

Every time I have gone for a trial I have performed well. But I still wouldn't want to be a professional footballer. I like the anonymity I have.

There is better than Burge playing outside the FL. Some haven't been spotted. Some don't want it. Going professional would mean giving up a job. Football is such a short career.

Who did you have trials for? Did they want to sign you then and you rejected them?

JWC

Has it been suggested that he can't handle the criticism?

Gilbo

Maybe you should offer your services if you’re that good.

Mucca Mad Boys

I’ve seen David Forde have a bad afternoon once or twice this season for Cambridge on the highlights but his clean sheets numbers are impressive for a side who’ve struggled to find much form this season.

Many are over looking or unaware of Accrington’s Arron Chapman too, he’s been excellent this year and Accrington have only conceded 2 more goals I think and has kept a similar number of clean sheets to Lee Burge

Had the team been announced at the end of the season, he may have got it. Accrington have conceded 2 less than us, but that was before we went and conceded 6 on Monday and voting obviously had been by then.

It does seem that every other week, our GK, be it Burge or LOB, seems to pull off a really good save. Despite the mistakes, I think our goalkeepers have been mostly good. On another thread, we worked out our goalkeepers have ‘only’ cost us 4-6pts. But, in the bigger picture, that’s over 40 games. Even premier league GKs make mistakes. I’m sure most teams have had similar experiences — both Forde and Stech were arguably culperable for at least 1 of our goals. In fact, I just watched the YouTube highlights of the game on Cambridge’s channel and seen the following comments ‘Forde out’, with someone replying to that saying ‘he’s been shit for about 4 straight matches’. As an ex-GK myself, you receive a lot of undue blame for the goals the team conceded and not enough credit for making a good save. Everyone is a self-professed expert on what a ‘keeper should or shouldn’t have done in a given scenario... that is, until they’re the ones between the sticks.

Astute

Who did you have trials for? Did they want to sign you then and you rejected them?
I have moved about a lot. I still love playing. Always play for who my mates play for. Not bothered if Saturday, Sunday or just a pub side. Only interested in it for the fun. Have had a secure job for years and have never wanted to pack my job in.

Am I wrong to want to play for fun only?

Astute

Maybe you should offer your services if you’re that good.
I'm too old now. But my job is more important. As I said more interested in the good life than anything else.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I’ve been a huge critic of Burge since Peterborough a few years back... we won 3-2, the guy hasn’t improved. I decided to give him a clean slate after Wembley... heroic!

But he’s back to his usual self. He’s horrific coming for crosses and I’d say he’s dropped us more points that won.

That being said, allegedly he’s the best goalkeeper in the league... It was that point I’ve concluded I know nothing of football. I hope he shoves it down my throat by the end of the season I really do, but I don’t think he’s Coventrys best goalkeeper let alone the league’s

Sick Boy

It's the same problem that the club has had before with sections of the supporters defending a player/manager who simply isn't up to it. He's an accident waiting to happen and we need to bring in a new keeper as a matter of urgency in the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread