Striker? (1 Viewer)

skyblue025

Probably if we make him on par with O'Hare. Will probably come down to contract length at 30 years old. He will want a 3 or 4 year. Most clubs will offer him 2.

shmmeee

It's the SBT way SkyBlue CP.

Any of our players with a similar record = constant derision/calls for immediate dismissal of the player and a taxi for the manager who signed him/Samaritans hotline lighting up if that player is subbed on in the 88th minute (due to an injury crisis).

A player with a similar record from another club = the new Messi/sign him up Robbings/and immediate calls that he be handed the number 9 shirt as a certain starter.

Point of order: Bakayoko scored 1 in 7.5 at L1 level.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Well like I said, MR's I'm sure would have taken him in a heart beat BUT for his wages which puts us out the picture.
As a side to what you say....Charlie Austin in the championship would not be crap!
His legs have gone. I watched him a fair bit with my in laws - he was crap at a top team in the championship last season.

what makes you think he’d be a success at a club where he’d Be expected to do a lot of running and feed on scraps?

Ccfcisparks

Yeh Baka is terrible, we know that, but so is Gnadulliet.
Other clubs our level are only interested in Gnanduillet because at most he is a 300k a year punt, INCLUDING wages. Everyone interested in him are those too skint to spend on a half decent alternative.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Gnanduillet scored more goals than Tyler Walker did in League One last season. Baring in mind he only played 3 more games than Walker did as well. If the season wasn't curtailed when it was it's more than likely that he would've hit above the 20 goal mark. He's hardly terrible and if he was a credible link we could certainly do a lot worse.

David O'Day

Gnanduillet scored more goals than Tyler Walker did in League One last season. Baring in mind he only played 3 more games than Walker did as well. If the season wasn't curtailed when it was it's more than likely that he would've hit above the 20 goal mark. He's hardly terrible and if he was a credible link we could certainly do a lot worse.

he's had 1 good season and has only hot double figures twice in his whole career.

1 swallow doth not make a summer

Skyblue_CP

I forgot we should be pin hopes on a striker that has one good season, fair point.

KenilworthSkyBlue

he's had 1 good season and has only hot double figures twice in his whole career.

1 swallow doth not make a summer

I don't necessarily think he's good enough to be a Championship regular, but he'd certainly be an interesting option and at the end of the day he's far better than what fit strikers we currently have.

But, to suggest he's as bad as Bakayoko is nonsensical.

DannyThomas_1981

Maybe just me.

Just not sure what the point is in putting the boot into Baka at every opportunity i.e. this thread seems to have descended into "I don't think much of that player but at least he's better than Baka."

It further damages the confidence of one of our players who is not playing with any confidence right now - and is absolutely needless when Robins has clearly stated that he is trying to add to our firepower.

The negativity on this board is amazing particularly at a time that we're making progress in this division.

Londonccfcfan

Maybe just me.

Just not sure what the point is in putting the boot into Baka at every opportunity i.e. this thread seems to have descended into "I don't think much of that player but at least he's better than Baka."

It further damages the confidence of one of our players who is not playing with any confidence right now - and is absolutely needless when Robins has clearly stated that he is trying to add to our firepower.

The negativity on this board is amazing particularly at a time that we're making progress in this division.
Sadly it's a very vocal few or one. Who is very rarely positive about anything or anyone. Generally crawl out the woodwork after a loss.

shmmeee

Only half as terrible.

Look either we desperately need someone better than Baka and Max or we don't. As I said in another thread I'm more than happy to wait.

Maybe just me.

I’ve been a big Baka fan and defended him a lot on here. Sadly this season he’s proved his doubters right and we need much better.

TomRad85

Only half as terrible.

Look either we desperately need someone better than Baka and Max or we don't. As I said in another thread I'm more than happy to wait.

I’ve been a big Baka fan and defended him a lot on here. Sadly this season he’s proved his doubters right and we need much better.
Agreed, I actually think most were prepared to give him a chance, including myself who for some reason thought he'd come good. He hasn't, he's crap and Max is bog standard as they come.
We really should be looking to bring someone in, even if its just a loan.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Skyblue_CP

I actually thought Baka performed quite admirably the back end of last season (when he had long hair) and thought he might kick on, unfortunatly he appears to have gone backwards somewhat, which is a shame as he seems like a stand up guy. Max on the other hand has atleast improved dramatically since he first signed, and isnt a bad option to have if you need to throw the kitchen sink at a game.

cc84cov

I actually thought Baka performed quite admirably the back end of last season (when he had long hair) and thought he might kick on, unfortunatly he appears to have gone backwards somewhat, which is a shame as he seems like a stand up guy. Max on the other hand has atleast improved dramatically since he first signed, and isnt a bad option to have if you need to throw the kitchen sink at a game.
🤣🤣 He had 1 possibly 2 ok games

Grendel

Maybe just me.

he’s paid a wage and his failing to perform - you may like us being a registered charity for rubbish strikers - I don’t and yes he’s rubbish

cc84cov

he’s paid a wage and his failing to perform - you may like us being a registered charity for rubbish strikers - I don’t and yes he’s rubbish
He’s paid a Wage for looking and sounding the part “bakayoko” surely he’s good 🤣

Grendel

He’s paid a Wage for looking and sounding the part “bakayoko” surely he’s good 🤣

Danny Thomas believes You can’t criticise players unless you’ve crossed “the white line” - I’ve never worked in a chip shop but when I ended up with E. coli after eating at the Parsons Nose in the 80’s I think I could say the cook failed to live up to expectations

DannyThomas_1981

Only half as terrible.

That's not the point. Constant criticism of our 4th choice striker when Robins has already committed to bringing in a new forward - serves absolutely no purpose to either the player or the club.

shmmeee

Wickham being linked with Birmingham and Bristol so maybe not. 1 in 4 in the Championship, wonder what wages would be like?

Would like to have a look at Kastaneer through the middle if we’re not getting another striker. Can’t be as ineffective as Baka surely. Walker looks decent but struggled as the lone front man and that’s how Robins wants to play.

I think he was open to Godden and Walker together but they’ve never been fully fit at the same time.

andrew.roberts

Danny Thomas believes You can’t criticise players unless you’ve crossed “the white line” - I’ve never worked in a chip shop but when I ended up with E. coli after eating at the Parsons Nose in the 80’s I think I could say the cook failed to live up to expectations
Surely not after a "one all in"...

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

That's not the point. Constant criticism of our 4th choice striker when Robins has already committed to bringing in a new forward - serves absolutely no purpose to either the player or the club.

There’s two ways of looking at this.

If Baka is drained of confidence and out of sorts, he can’t be called upon to change games never mind lead the line or start. Another player is needed.

If Baka is working his socks off and this is the best he can offer, he’s nowhere near what we need and another player is. All I can remember him doing is Kung fu kicking the Stoke keeper.

You try to see the best in players and I admire that, but Baka is miles away.

TomRad85

His legs have gone. I watched him a fair bit with my in laws - he was crap at a top team in the championship last season.

what makes you think he’d be a success at a club where he’d Be expected to do a lot of running and feed on scraps?
Scored 39 minutes into his debut.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Somerset Sky Blue

Baka was signed for a different division and helped to get us promoted. We have a low budget, he is a known player for MR and both were happy for a one year extension to see if he could develop further in the championship. Up to this point, it hasn't happened and his confidence appears low.
Now, he might play in the next few weeks, get a bit of luck which spurs him on (like McNulty did) or he might not. As fans we should want him to do well in sky blue and should cheer him on. Both player and manager will have discussed what needs to improve.
Regardless, MR has said he is looking for more firepower, which might be an unknown loan (like Armstrong a few years ago) or somebody else. As other posters have said, we haven't got the money, nor would we be attractive for a long term signing unless they thought they could dislodge godden / walker - or they would be happy as third/fourth choice on a lower wage (like max and Baka).
I like the idea of Collins, as a goal scoring championship striker, soon out of contract....but, at 30, probably wanting a longish contract on a good wage, can't see it happening.
So, whilst we can hope for a good loan from a prem team (5 loans already in squad though), let's make sure we stay up and then reassess the long term attacking requirements after godden, walker (and max and Baka) have had a full season.

Brighton Sky Blue

Baka was signed for a different division and helped to get us promoted. We have a low budget, he is a known player for MR and both were happy for a one year extension to see if he could develop further in the championship. Up to this point, it hasn't happened and his confidence appears low.
Now, he might play in the next few weeks, get a bit of luck which spurs him on (like McNulty did) or he might not. As fans we should want him to do well in sky blue and should cheer him on. Both player and manager will have discussed what needs to improve.
Regardless, MR has said he is looking for more firepower, which might be an unknown loan (like Armstrong a few years ago) or somebody else. As other posters have said, we haven't got the money, nor would we be attractive for a long term signing unless they thought they could dislodge godden / walker - or they would be happy as third/fourth choice on a lower wage (like max and Baka).
I like the idea of Collins, as a goal scoring championship striker, soon out of contract....but, at 30, probably wanting a longish contract on a good wage, can't see it happening.
So, whilst we can hope for a good loan from a prem team (5 loans already in squad though), let's make sure we stay up and then reassess the long term attacking requirements after godden, walker (and max and Baka) have had a full season.

It’s more if Biamou is injured we’re down to just Baka with no cover

Somerset Sky Blue

It’s more if Biamou is injured we’re down to just Baka with no cover
True, but can a younger player step up for a week or two before walker is back, to sit on the bench, assuming the worse case is max gets injured.
MR is still looking for some firepower up front, so hopefully another person will arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread