Rate The New Players (1 Viewer)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Given that it is another international break, why not break down our new signings and discuss them...

I have no doubts this will be overwhelmingly positive!

Haji Wright - 4/10: Scored a few goals, yes. Cost a fortune, yes. Should be doing better? Undoubtedly yes. The application seems a bit mixed, and for a player of his build you would expect more physicality. Instead he just seems like a bit of a pussy. I know for that price a lot of people expect some sort of Gyökeres replacement, which might be a bridge slightly too far, but you would expect some sort of stand out ability, yet he doesn't look even close to that at the moment. I still think he can contribute something decent, but so far he has been disappointing for me.

Ellis Simms: - 4/10: Scored in only one game this season. For me this is where I wonder moreover how much the problem with our new players is down to the management. He seems to be trying to make things happen, maybe even been a bit unlucky so far, but it just hasn't really been clicking. His fee is still very high too, which I think gets mitigated because Wright cost so much, but I would also be expecting more from him. The return so far has been poor.

Liam Kitching - 5/10: Hasn't played a lot, so it is quite hard to score him. I guess the first place you start again is to look at the return versus the cost. An astronomical fee at this current moment in time, which also works against him. I think he has looked relatively good at times, and against Stoke was part of the team that kept a clean sheet. Think he will probably be strong for us as time goes on, and I like that aggression. Worth the cost we paid though? Hard to justify at this very moment.

Milan van Ewijk - 5/10: Has had moments where he looked very good early on (the first game aside if I recall), hence the appreciation thread. That said, he seems to have regressed and doesn't look stand out at all. One of the highest rated defenders in the Dutch league, yet there would be a genuine debate at the moment whether you would actually start him. Another ridiculous situation given the 4+ million euros we paid for him. The Dutch league isn't great, but even so, he has the attributes you would think would add something better than what a lot of other teams have, but so far doesn't seem to have been the case. Also has a long throw that Robins refuses to use. Hopefully he will bounce back.

Bobby Thomas - 6/10: I think he's actually been pretty good. Certainly a lot better than some of the names listed above. Made a few mistakes, yes, but I think he'll iron those out after time. Seems to be some kind of threat from set pieces, which is almost unheard of for us, but hasn't really made that count for much yet either. Wouldn't be surprised to see him play most weeks going forwards.

Tatsuhiro Sakamoto - 5/10: No idea how to score him. Seems to be high intensity and certainly works his arse off, but where does he fit in? I have no idea. For several million you would also expect some sort of end product, but that hasn't come yet. Not being used correctly by the manager in my view either, and Robins also seems unable to give the lad any praise when he's been good too, which to me at least seems quite strange. Would probably be rated lower if it wasn't for the fact he tries so hard.

Brad Collins - 5/10: Gone straight down the middle due to the fact he's played next to no minutes at all and it would be unfair to go too high or low. Looked comfortable against Stoke, which is good, but I am still unsure the justification in signing him given that we have two other goalkeepers. Of course, that might all make sense if he keeps the number one spot and plays well throughout time. I suppose my questions would be more towards the goalkeeping situation as a whole.

Jay Dasilva - 5/10: I have to say I am baffled as to how he has been golden boy all season. Until the last game Bidwell hasn't had a look in, and for what? Another one where Robins has reacted late, and the results proved themselves in the last game. Bidwell a breath of fresh air and man of the match by a country mile. JDS I think has some relatively decent attributes, but they seem to come in flashes. Was playing as a wing back and seems to also have next to no end product. Suspect defending at times too.

Joel Latibeaudiere - 7/10: Would go as far as to say he's been our best new signing, and he was free, which makes it slightly comical. Pretty strong and capable. Can play in a few different positions, but if we stay in a back four, which I think we should - he will do alright at RB. Where that leaves MvE, I have no idea.

Yasin Ayari - 4/10: Looks out of his depth. Been picked and played at times which have also confused me. Can be alright on the ball and has some skill, but off it he looks like a complete passenger. Not something you want from a midfielder. I don't think it is as extreme as he should be going back to Brighton in January, but from what I have seen so far I would only be using him sparingly until we see some signs of improvement.

Luis Binks - 7/10: Another one of the better signings on performances so far, but has had to really work to get into the team. Also adds to the circus giving that he was free (on loan, I know), but looks capable to me. Would certainly want to see him play regularly from what I have seen so far.

I know a lot of people are concerned about the recruitment, but I actually think we do have some good players in here. They aren't all terrible, although it is easy to think that when you balance the cost versus the return on many of them. Amazingly the cheaper or free signings seem to be some of our best. You would expect the higher money signings to have some more positive impact quicker, yet they seem to be struggling. The fact they aren't playing that well is troubling. The system? The management? Struggling to settle? Maybe a combination. I think we will get better, but many of my questions for me at the moment sit more with the management than anywhere else.

Will be interesting to revisit this thread at the end of the season and see how we progress. Hopefully some of these scores get higher!

robbiekeane

A 5 for sakamoto seems very harsh. Looks bright and lively and like he has something that sets him apart from everyone else. I’m surprised robins signed him but not sure that’s a negative in his part

fernandopartridge

A 5 for sakamoto seems very harsh. Looks bright and lively and like he has something that sets him apart from everyone else. I’m surprised robins signed him but not sure that’s a negative in his part
I'm not sure it is, he's produced nothing so far. It's too early to write him or any of the others off though.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Calista

As you say, 5 is harsh. I imagined Sakamoto was just going to be a winger with dribbling skills, but I've been impressed with his all-round technical ability. Highly committed too, and I think he has easily enough talent to play in this league. I just hope the apparent language barriers etc. don't get in the way because he could be a star IMO.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Tbh all those scores are write off scores and it’s bonkers

I don't really see with our start how you can go about giving 8 or 9's to anyone.

It's pretty clear that I haven't written off any of the players either, in some cases pointing out that it's hard to give them a rating. I also mentioned that hopefully the scores will improve...

What would your ratings be?

robbiekeane

I don't really see with our start how you can go about giving 8 or 9's to anyone.

It's pretty clear that I haven't written off any of the players either, in some cases pointing out that it's hard to give them a rating. I also mentioned that hopefully the scores will improve...

What would your ratings be?
Why are you talking about 8s and 9s? Bit random

I’d probably give 6’s all around apart from Ayari who is a 5 and then Lati on a 7. Sakamoto a 6.5

4s and 5s imo are saying players have been horrendous which simply isn’t the case

Legia Sky Blue

I think your scores are generally fair enough at this point. The forwards could potentially score lower if you factor in the transfer fees & therefore the expectation on them. Otherwise I would probably increase Van Ewijk up to 6 as he did have a couple of good games where he was effective early on, and reduce Binks to 6. I also am not writing any of the signings off completely. My gut feeling (and hope) is that Simms particularly has a big upside to him.

Saddlebrains

Haji Wright- 3.5/10
Ellis Simms - 4/10
Tatsuhiro Sakamoto - 7/10
Bobby Thomas - 6/10
Liam Kitching - 6/10
Luis Binks - 7/10
Joel Latibeaudiere- 7.5/10
Jay DaSilva - 6.5/10
Brad Collins - 6.5/10
Yasin Ayari-3/10
Milan Van Ewijk - 5.5 /10

Great window

slowpoke

Come back at Christmas with your assessments, how can you fairly assess Kitching or Collins they have played four games between them ffs! MvE has been injured four 4 games and possibly has come back too early & the two strikers play half a game each in the main spread over 13 games.

While you are at it what marks do you give MR & AV ?

Last edited:

slowpoke

As for Sakamoto hardly played. Against Bristol first half especially playing the 10 role he was exceptional so much so their then manager Pearson made a first half substitution to try and nullify him which worked and they somehow won the game, he’s hardly played since.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Why are you talking about 8s and 9s? Bit random

I’d probably give 6’s all around apart from Ayari who is a 5 and then Lati on a 7. Sakamoto a 6.5

4s and 5s imo are saying players have been horrendous which simply isn’t the case

You said I was writing off the players with my scores (which I've made clear is not the case), but in the same moment admit you would add one or two to some of their scores maximum, like it makes a gigantic difference? The only thing random here is your agenda.

A 5 doesn't mean someone has been horrendous either. It's literally halfway between 0 and 10. As I said before, given our start and the price some of these players cost, I don't see how you can justify rating some of them much above average. In some cases a few are below that.

ProfessorbyGrace

As you say, 5 is harsh. I imagined Sakamoto was just going to be a winger with dribbling skills, but I've been impressed with his all-round technical ability. Highly committed too, and I think he has easily enough talent to play in this league. I just hope the apparent language barriers etc. don't get in the way because he could be a star IMO.
It also depends on how he’s being deployed; ok, I understand that the J League is way below the competitive standards of The Championship, but looking at his highlights from Osaka, it makes me wonder what instructions MR is giving him. Same as Wright, judging from his Antalyaspor highlights.

Good players can swiftly become ineffective if they’re asked to play ‘within’ themselves to fit a system. Which, to me, would raise question marks on why they were even signed, if they aren’t played to their strengths, and in a system that utilises their strengths. 🤷‍♂️

I think we’re also seeing this, to a degree, with MVE.

Just thinking out loud, I suppose.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Come back at Christmas with your assessments, how can you fairly assess Kitching or Collins they have played four games between them ffs! MvE has been injured four 4 games and possibly has come back too early & the two strikers play half a game each in the main spread over 13 games.

While you are at it what marks do you give MR & AV ?

How can I rate Kitching or Collins? Rupert, this is a 'rate the new players' thread.

I have mentioned in some cases it is hard to give an accurate score based on the minutes played.

Greggs

Haji Wright- 4/10
Ellis Simms - 4/10
Tatsuhiro Sakamoto - 5/10
Bobby Thomas - 6/10
Liam Kitching - 5/10
Luis Binks - 5/10
Joel Latibeaudiere- 6/10
Jay DaSilva - 4/10
Brad Collins - 5/10
Yasin Ayari- 3/10
Milan Van Ewijk - 5/10

How anyone can claim any of them have been successful is beyond me.

stevefloyd

For me...

Hadji Wright being our most expensive and arguably our most disappointing to date, for 7-8 million you would think he could control the ball on a regular basis/hold the ball up but he looks powder puff so far, he doesn't seem to read the game/anticipate or really put any pressure on opposing defenders 3/10

Simms has shown little glimpses that there may be a player lurking in that lack of confidence/timid player but he seems more of a development player than the type of player we need RIGHT NOW 3.5/10

MVE he was the player I thought wow he sounds great and then we saw him play...doesn't look fast doesn't cross the ball with any regularity seems to give up and not chase the ball back prefering to chose the steady amble back 4.5/10

JDS I think he has looked very poor at times, seems ok on the ball and then lacks again decision making and gets caught with the ball at times and like dracula hates crosses 4/10

Lati quite like him gets stuck in and battles 6.5/10

Thomas same as Lati couple of mistakes but again battles and decent in the air 6/10

Kitching not really seen enough to know if he's going to be good/bad or indifferent so unfair to mark him yet

Collins again only seen him once but coming out to collect a cross was great to see and he caught the ball too...bonus again unfair to mark him yet

Binks again like the look of him but Robins taking him off all the time when he appears to be one of best players is strange 7/10

Saka quite a bag of tricks but very lightweight and easily knocked off the ball, in the championship we need a more complete tricky player but I guess we can now sell some shirts on the asian market 5.5/10

Ayari too young thrown in at the deepend and looks like he needed a loan to league 1 and not the championship 3.5/10

Overall our recruitment doesn't seem to have really improved us as such and I cannot believe that Robins and co hadn't got someone lined up for a midfield role when it seemed almost nailed on Hamer was going, Eccles is okish and Sheaf is fighting on his own and all of us with any common sense knew it would be sooner rather than later for Kelly to become injured again but as with Robins strange substitutions at times we now have Robins strange signings too...time will tell and I seriously hope I change my views over the coming months but I have serious reservations...PUSB

BlueSkiesForever

Wilson - 6
Collins - n/a
Van Ewijk - 6
Latibeaudiere - 7
Thomas - 7
Kitching - 6
Binks - 7
Bidwell - 6
Dasilva - 7
Sheaf - 7
Allen - 7
Eccles - 6
Ayari - 4
O’Hare - 5
Sakamoto - 8
Wright - 6
Godden - 5
Simms - 7

Hertsccfc

Given that it is another international break, why not break down our new signings and discuss them...

Haji Wright - 4/10: Scored a few goals, yes. Cost a fortune, yes. Should be doing better? Undoubtedly yes. The application seems a bit mixed, and for a player of his build you would expect more physicality. Instead he just seems like a bit of a pussy. I know for that price a lot of people expect some sort of Gyökeres replacement, which might be a bridge slightly too far, but you would expect some sort of stand out ability, yet he doesn't look even close to that at the moment. I still think he can contribute something decent, but so far he has been disappointing for me.

Ellis Simms: - 4/10: Scored in only one game this season. For me this is where I wonder moreover how much the problem with our new players is down to the management. He seems to be trying to make things happen, maybe even been a bit unlucky so far, but it just hasn't really been clicking. His fee is still very high too, which I think gets mitigated because Wright cost so much, but I would also be expecting more from him. The return so far has been poor.

Liam Kitching - 5/10: Hasn't played a lot, so it is quite hard to score him. I guess the first place you start again is to look at the return versus the cost. An astronomical fee at this current moment in time, which also works against him. I think he has looked relatively good at times, and against Stoke was part of the team that kept a clean sheet. Think he will probably be strong for us as time goes on, and I like that aggression. Worth the cost we paid though? Hard to justify at this very moment.

Milan van Ewijk - 5/10: Has had moments where he looked very good early on (the first game aside if I recall), hence the appreciation thread. That said, he seems to have regressed and doesn't look stand out at all. One of the highest rated defenders in the Dutch league, yet there would be a genuine debate at the moment whether you would actually start him. Another ridiculous situation given the 4+ million euros we paid for him. The Dutch league isn't great, but even so, he has the attributes you would think would add something better than what a lot of other teams have, but so far doesn't seem to have been the case. Also has a long throw that Robins refuses to use. Hopefully he will bounce back.

Bobby Thomas - 6/10: I think he's actually been pretty good. Certainly a lot better than some of the names listed above. Made a few mistakes, yes, but I think he'll iron those out after time. Seems to be some kind of threat from set pieces, which is almost unheard of for us, but hasn't really made that count for much yet either. Wouldn't be surprised to see him play most weeks going forwards.

Tatsuhiro Sakamoto - 5/10: No idea how to score him. Seems to be high intensity and certainly works his arse off, but where does he fit in? I have no idea. For several million you would also expect some sort of end product, but that hasn't come yet. Not being used correctly by the manager in my view either, and Robins also seems unable to give the lad any praise when he's been good too, which to me at least seems quite strange. Would probably be rated lower if it wasn't for the fact he tries so hard.

Brad Collins - 5/10: Gone straight down the middle due to the fact he's played next to no minutes at all and it would be unfair to go too high or low. Looked comfortable against Stoke, which is good, but I am still unsure the justification in signing him given that we have two other goalkeepers. Of course, that might all make sense if he keeps the number one spot and plays well throughout time. I suppose my questions would be more towards the goalkeeping situation as a whole.

Jay Dasilva - 5/10: I have to say I am baffled as to how he has been golden boy all season. Until the last game Bidwell hasn't had a look in, and for what? Another one where Robins has reacted late, and the results proved themselves in the last game. Bidwell a breath of fresh air and man of the match by a country mile. JDS I think has some relatively decent attributes, but they seem to come in flashes. Was playing as a wing back and seems to also have next to no end product. Suspect defending at times too.

Joel Latibeaudiere - 7/10: Would go as far as to say he's been our best new signing, and he was free, which makes it slightly comical. Pretty strong and capable. Can play in a few different positions, but if we stay in a back four, which I think we should - he will do alright at RB. Where that leaves MvE, I have no idea.

Yasin Ayari - 4/10: Looks out of his depth. Been picked and played at times which have also confused me. Can be alright on the ball and has some skill, but off it he looks like a complete passenger. Not something you want from a midfielder. I don't think it is as extreme as he should be going back to Brighton in January, but from what I have seen so far I would only be using him sparingly until we see some signs of improvement.

Luis Binks - 7/10: Another one of the better signings on performances so far, but has had to really work to get into the team. Also adds to the circus giving that he was free (on loan, I know), but looks capable to me. Would certainly want to see him play regularly from what I have seen so far.

I know a lot of people are concerned about the recruitment, but I actually think we do have some good players in here. They aren't all terrible, although it is easy to think that when you balance the cost versus the return on many of them. Amazingly the cheaper or free signings seem to be some of our best. You would expect the higher money signings to have some more positive impact quicker, yet they seem to be struggling. The fact they aren't playing that well is troubling. The system? The management? Struggling to settle? Maybe a combination. I think we will get better, but many of my questions for me at the moment sit more with the management than anywhere else.

Will be interesting to revisit this thread at the end of the season and see how we progress. Hopefully some of these scores get higher!
I think that is all pretty fair. I took it that you were assessing how they have done so far, and let's face it they have hardly been a great success as a group, rather than ability. Hopefully they will improve, or at least some will, and I think there is plenty of potential in some of them.

I would probably add an extra point to Wright, van Ewijk and Dasilva and take one away from Thomas and Binks. I don't get the calls for Sakamoto to be marked higher. He has skill for sure but has achieved little so far.

For me Simms is the biggest concern although I know I am in a minority. Two goals, no assists and generally very tame, so I don't see why most seem to think he has been so good and will be worth a fortune in a year or two. I hope he proves me wrong like Gyokeres did. I also don't get the vitriol aimed at Wright from some quarters. By any objective judgement he has been the better of the two. Four goals and two assists and unlucky not to have scored more.

Thomas has improved a lot recently and I think will become a good player for us.

I still feel van Ewijk has the highest potential. If any of them emulate Hamer and Gyokeres it will be him, but his output since his injury has been disappointing.

stevefloyd

Another queston would be which one of the new players would other championship clubs want to have in their team? I am guessing there wouldn't be a great rush so far!

RegTheDonk

Think Kitching deserves a bit more than a 5, but overall I reckon thats about right. If 5 is an average score, then the two strikers have been frankly, below average. Hope they improve and, as you say, re-visting this thread will be interesting.

robbiekeane

You said I was writing off the players with my scores (which I've made clear is not the case), but in the same moment admit you would add one or two to some of their scores maximum, like it makes a gigantic difference? The only thing random here is your agenda.

A 5 doesn't mean someone has been horrendous either. It's literally halfway between 0 and 10. As I said before, given our start and the price some of these players cost, I don't see how you can justify rating some of them much above average. In some cases a few are below that.
Hate to break it to you mate but going from a 4 to a 6 is a 50% increase

Thanks for coming though

San Francisco

Haji Wright- 3/10
Ellis Simms - 3/10
Tatsuhiro Sakamoto - 5/10
Bobby Thomas - 5/10
Liam Kitching - 5/10
Luis Binks - 6/10
Joel Latibeaudiere- 7/10
Jay DaSilva - 4/10
Yasin Ayari- 3/10
Milan Van Ewijk - 5/10

Overall disappointing for the money spent.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Hate to break it to you mate but going from a 4 to a 6 is a 50% increase

Thanks for coming though

On two of the ratings you would go from a 4 to a 6, the rest 1 point more at most, if not no changes - it is hardly ground-breaking. Yet, you know that and are just typing shit after you realised the 'you are writing off the players' comment was a pretty silly conclusion to make.

SlowerThanPlatt

Wilson - 6
Collins - n/a
Van Ewijk - 6
Latibeaudiere - 7
Thomas - 7
Kitching - 6
Binks - 7
Bidwell - 6
Dasilva - 7
Sheaf - 7
Allen - 7
Eccles - 6
Ayari - 4
O’Hare - 5
Sakamoto - 8
Wright - 6
Godden - 5
Simms - 7

How can Sakamato possibly be a 8/10 signing? Very good, excellent. He’s started five games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve cooper

Another queston would be which one of the new players would other championship clubs want to have in their team? I am guessing there wouldn't be a great rush so far!
Wasn't there quite a bit of interest in Wright and Simms by other clubs before we bought them?

TomRad85

Hard to rate, think most are alright but as ive said, broken record that I am, I don't think the manager has been great this season and on top of that we really lack creativity in the middle to put it all together.
Hoping things pick up.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Grendel

As of yet there’s been very little end product from him and he fades fast in games

Cally Fedora

Agree with that. It’s a peculiar mix of looking very good but achieving not a lot. I think he’ll be a very useful squad player if not a regular starter.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If it came to it forgetting the fee who of the two would you sell ?
Probably Wright.

Simms I feel there's a lot more there and he's a confidence player.

Wright I feel has some ability but very little heart. Plus he's a bit older so less 'potential' in him.

BlueSkiesForever

How can Sakamato possibly be a 8/10 signing? Very good, excellent. He’s started five games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a per minute basis he’s been one of our best players this season, it’s not his fault Robins isn’t choosing to play him and we can only go on what we’ve seen so far from each player, if he’s had limited minutes then so be it but he’s still performing to a very decent standard almost every time he plays.

Users who are viewing this thread