Stokes - Confirmed to Bury (1 Viewer)

Hobo

King was just a flop one if those things.

Marsden is a real urban myth - he did go to Southampton 6 years after we released him!
King flopped because he had a dislocated knee.
Marsden wasn't an urban myth he had ability (recognised by most clubs in the country before his knee injury at Huddersfield), ability that stayed with him into his thirties and flourished at Southampton. But you write most players development off by 22????
My point was, whenever you buy a player, age, injured, injury free...it is a risk..no player comes guaranteed a success!

Brighton Sky Blue

You have said that we should keep stokes in case of his injury and the number 2 LB being no good.

You would think Robins would have checked his state of recovery before signing him / getting rid of others also? Would be suicide for him to do it if Brown was struggling and Mason was shite.

We thought he'd checked it with Baker...

Hobo

Also Grendel let's not forget in the seven odd games Marsden played for us he was class. He just did the simple things very well. Head up, look around, give me the ball, knew where it was going before he received it, pass, run, give me the ball...repeat. He was happy to receive the ball in tight situations, the mark of a good player. Ability that was there to see, but allowed to shine at Southampton.

In future Grendel rely on your eyes in game time and not Wikipedia!

junglej13

People have views on what makes a good full back and yes it seems Robins is looking for more attacking threat which is admirable. I think the most important attributes of any full back are positioning and concentration, and Stokes was very good at both. Added to that he very rarely lost a physical battle. Haynes had pace and a couple of tricks but I dont think knew the meaning of the word concentration. Stokes will be sorely missed for me and will did a very solid job at Bury.

NortonSkyBlue

Also Grendel let's not forget in the seven odd games Marsden played for us he was class. He just did the simple things very well. Head up, look around, give me the ball, knew where it was going before he received it, pass, run, give me the ball...repeat. He was happy to receive the ball in tight situations, the mark of a good player. Ability that was there to see, but allowed to shine at Southampton.

In future Grendel rely on your eyes in game time and not Wikipedia!
Marsden was a lovely player, found space in tight areas and seemed to find his man every time. He was better than anybody we had at the time and for me his only failing was he was one paced. Kevin Richardson was a similar player that followed. Of the two I would have liked to have had Marsden for longer.
Bryan King was a Millwall legend and recognized as a very good keeper below Division one, even got in to the England squad. After his debut at Everton in our 4-1 win I believed he was going to be brilliant for us. Sadly got injured and was never a serious feature when he returned.

Users who are viewing this thread