Stokes - Confirmed to Bury (1 Viewer)

Greggs

Admittedly I thought this but if the right players become available, Robins shouldn't sit back and settle for who we have. If they're better than what we currently have then there's no sense in resting on our laurels. I understand it's important to have a good team chemistry though.
Agree buddy. We had great team spirit and the side really seemed to have gelled by the end of the season! Fingers crossed he hasn't taken us back to square one

Greggs

Left back was one of the positions last season we seemed to struggle with and there was no real first choice between him and Haynes which made it look like he wasn't sure on any.
Stokes would have made perfect back-up

SkyBlueCRJ

Agree buddy. We had great team spirit and the side really seemed to have gelled by the end of the season! Fingers crossed he hasn't taken us back to square one

I shouldn't think so.We've got a solid core with big characters to lead the line that can keep the new recruits in check. Also, given Brown's injury record I think it would've been a risk to keep hold of Stokes, given his own injury record. We struggled at LB last season so maybe it was the right choice to take a different direction.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Yep like him but not good enough for top of league 1.
Well, he was during Mowbray's time here.
Sadly not the same player after his injury. Also, Robins appears to favour athletic wing backs rather than traditional full backs.
Just hope the replacements are as good as Stokes defensively.

Magwitch

Liked Stokes the player when he first joined but unfortunately he got injured and wasn’t quiet the same when he came back, that’s football sadly it doesn’t stand still. No room for sentiment.

Liquid Gold

Not the most naturally gifted but always gave it his all and was a major factor in steadying us during the final push last year. Bury have got a solid higher league 2/ lower league 1 left back. I hope he does well.

no_loyalty

Good move for him I think he would have struggled in league one, time for us to move forward with a better calibre of player

Greggs

Mason and brown. Camwell still on books. Position is covered
One recovering from same injury that last full-back failed to recover from. One unproven 20 year old and one who seems to have a terrible attitude?! Stokes departure definitely made us weaker

Nick

Administrator
One recovering from same injury that last full-back failed to recover from. One unproven 20 year old and one who seems to have a terrible attitude?! Stokes departure definitely made us weaker

Don't think it's making us weaker if the 3rd choice is going does it?

Greggs

Don't think it's making us weaker if the 3rd choice is going does it?
On what evidence? Say Brown doesn't recover to his potential, Mason is totally unproven with around 3 pro games under his belt....It's currently based on guess work, whereas Stokes can still do a job and can offer a lot at Cb too

Nick

Administrator
On what evidence? Say Brown doesn't recover to his potential, Mason is totally unproven with around 3 pro games under his belt....It's currently based on guess work, whereas Stokes can still do a job and can offer a lot at Cb too

What if all 3 of our goalies get injured at the same time?

Robins has obviously assessed the players he has brought in to think they can do a job before letting Stokes and Haynes both go.

Skybluefaz

Who is the geezer who has Mark Robins phone number? Because Greggs needs it to tell him how he's going wrong.
We've got plenty of CB cover, and better left backs, which was an area that clearly needed strengthening.

Greggs

What if all 3 of our goalies get injured at the same time?

Robins has obviously assessed the players he has brought in to think they can do a job before letting Stokes and Haynes both go.
The GK reference makes no sense.
Let's just hope signing a 29 year old, recovering from a major injury, doesn't backfire!

Nick

Administrator
The GK reference makes no sense.
Let's just hope signing a 29 year old, recovering from a major injury, doesn't backfire!

You have said that we should keep stokes in case of his injury and the number 2 LB being no good.

You would think Robins would have checked his state of recovery before signing him / getting rid of others also? Would be suicide for him to do it if Brown was struggling and Mason was shite.

Last edited:

Grendel

You have said that we should keep stokes in case of his injury and the number 2 LB being no good.

You would think Robins would have checked his state of recovery before signing him / getting rid of others also? Would be suicide for him to do it if Brown was struggling and Mason was shite.

I assume though Vincenti was impacted by his injury and we signed him

shy_tall_knight

I recognize that most city fans rated stokes a lot higher than I did, I think to play full back you need some pace, saw stokes beaten by pacey wingers too easily, however recognize the benefits he gave us defending dead balls, prepared to trust Robbins judgement

stevefloyd

Stokes was a decent defender but obviously pace let him down also couldn't cross a ball too well either so thanks for the memories good luck and lets move on!!

bawtryneal

Thanks to Stokes for his 3 years at the club. Always gave his best and had the right attitude and was great at representing CCFC in the community
Made the leap from non league and for me, whilst he was lacking in skill and pace, always gave 100%. Good luck at Bury my son.

Hobo

Stokes did okay while he was here but showing signs he is on the wane. We have brought two in and they need to show the manager is right in backing them.

This seems like positive team building; not selling for a bit of money and bringing in wing and a prayer replacements. Since Pressley and Mowbray there does seem to be a shift in corporate policy (so not all down to Robins, but I am not knocking Robins either). We might be turning a corner?

ccfchoi87

I assume though Vincenti was impacted by his injury and we signed him

Him and Kelly both signed for us on the back of bad injuries. Vincenti obviously didn't recover well and most of this site hated Kelly before Christmas. I know Kelly came good in the end but I'm far from convinced by our recruitment and squad at the minute. If Jones, Andreu, Brown and Ogogo don't come back 100% we will struggle. Also worrying that we have a few injuries and international call ups already hampering our short pre season.

Hobo

Him and Kelly both signed for us on the back of bad injuries. Vincenti obviously didn't recover well and most of this site hated Kelly before Christmas. I know Kelly came good in the end but I'm far from convinced by our recruitment and squad at the minute. If Jones, Andreu, Brown and Ogogo don't come back 100% we will struggle. Also worrying that we have a few injuries and international call ups already hampering our short pre season.

But we bought Brian King years ago, had never missed a game, then early on dislocated his knee. Every transfer is a risk. When we sold Willie Carr to Wolves they knocked the price down because of concerns over his knees, he played for them for years. We got cold feet on a small fee for Marsden...he went to Southampton...what a mistake...he could make a midfield tick like a watch:

Every new transfer and every new season is a risk. Nothing is a given in football.

Grendel

But we bought Brian King years ago, had never missed a game, then early on dislocated his knee. Every transfer is a risk. When we sold Willie Carr to Wolves they knocked the price down because of concerns over his knees, he played for them for years. We got cold feet on a small fee for Marsden...he went to Southampton...what a mistake...he could make a midfield tick like a watch:

Every new transfer and every new season is a risk. Nothing is a given in football.

King was just a flop one if those things.

Marsden is a real urban myth - he did go to Southampton 6 years after we released him!

JulianDarbyFTW

Marsden is a real urban myth - he did go to Southampton 6 years after we released him!
He was on loan to us from Huddersfield, where he'd been banished to the reserves. IIRC, he had to choose between us and Wolves in the division below, and he chose them.

Edit: I seem to recall there was a televised game for us where he ran the show, which alerted Wolves to his talent. Another example of TV ruining the game.

ccfchoi87

I was more talking about ability to be fair. It's rare that they come back as good as before. I understand what you mean though. We've signed plenty of crocks but also let go of others who played on for years

Sky Blue Harry H

He was on loan to us from Huddersfield, where he'd been banished to the reserves. IIRC, he had to choose between us and Wolves in the division below, and he chose them.

Edit: I seem to recall there was a televised game for us where he ran the show, which alerted Wolves to his talent. Another example of TV ruining the game.

Swindon - we thrashed them 1-1 (most one sided draw I've seen City involved in)

Grendel

He left wolves to play for the giants that were Notts county and Stockport and played second fiddle at both clubs

NorthernWisdom

He left wolves to play for the giants that were Notts county and Stockport and played second fiddle at both clubs
He was a regular for a Stockport side who reached the semi-finals of the league cup, and it was his performances there that encouraged Dave Jones to buy him for Southampton.

And however you look at it, he'd have been better than Sandy Robertson!

chiefdave

Stokes hasn't been the same since his injury unfortunately. Think Robins letting someone like this go is a good sign. Shows he is ensuring the squad is stronger rather than just settling for what we have.

Hope he makes a success of the move and doesn't end up drifting out the game.

ceetee

Stokes hasn't been the same since his injury unfortunately. Think Robins letting someone like this go is a good sign. Shows he is ensuring the squad is stronger rather than just settling for what we have.

Hope he makes a success of the move and doesn't end up drifting out the game.
You are correct but are supporting the point that others are making, That is, players returning from injury are a gamble because they may take too long to recover their form, if at all.

Users who are viewing this thread