Stokes - Confirmed to Bury (1 Viewer)

higgs

Are we signing another left back was it mentioned tonight at the kit launch terms were agreed any ideas who it is?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

larry_david

Curious one. If we are being brutally honest and assessing stokes over the full season he probably ranked 6/10? Will that be good enough in league 1,probably not. Having said that I'd have been quite happy for him and junior to fight it out

Nick

Administrator
Robins said the lb had agreed terms and will start training with us, wonder if it means it's waiting for stokes to find somewhere?

higgs

Didn't realise stokes was transfer listed he's not been the same player since he got injured maybe heading back to league two.

Mucca Mad Boys

Robins said the lb had agreed terms and will start training with us, wonder if it means it's waiting for stokes to find somewhere?

Could be another U23s type player?

Stokes as a 2nd choice LB isn’t too bad, but with Brown’s injury, there’s a risk Stokes could end up playing more games. Fair play for Robins being ambitious with his recruitment, it does seem like he’s got the full backing of the board and is being left to his own devices.

Mr Panda

Thing is with Stokes is that he's got no composure when the ball is at his feet, I never fancy him on the over lap or when he has the opportunity for a cross. He's been a good servant but Robin's is doing the right thing if he's to be replaced and sent away

Great_Expectations

Good character Stokes and think the club means something to him, giving him his chance at this level. Been a good servant.

Sums it up well. I think he’s a good player to have around the club as he’s a positive influence and has a loyalty to the club.

I’d keep him, even if he’s third choice; I doubt he’s on much and he can play LB and CB. While he’s not the same player, he’s still good enough for L1.

Adge

I’d be sorry to see him go. Not the same since his injury but may we’ll get back up to speed.

higgs

Did robin's mention last night that we are after another forward?

If we are that Will surely be all our business done then with a left back and forward coming in?

Johnnythespider

I think his form picked up towards the end of the season, but i can understand it if we replace both of the LBs from last year.
He will do a job for somebody.

SkyBlueCRJ

He's been a great asset to us since his arrival but his last injury clearly took its toll. Potentially could be back to his best with a solid pre-season behind him but clearly Robins isn't going to take that chance - credit to him as it's clear he doesn't want to rest on his laurels by retaining Stokes for the sake of it. Also didn't he have a full pre-season last year, if so that's probably why Robins sees it as unlikely he'll get back to his best anytime soon.

Good news that a new LB is joining, wonder if that signing will be announced on Monday as a lot of contracts expire today don't they?

Sky Blue Harry H

Could be another U23s type player?

Stokes as a 2nd choice LB isn’t too bad, but with Brown’s injury, there’s a risk Stokes could end up playing more games. Fair play for Robins being ambitious with his recruitment, it does seem like he’s got the full backing of the board and is being left to his own devices.

Like what you did there....

eastwoodsdustman

I know he’s had an injury but he was great when he first joined us in league one and was very solid last season. I can’t understand anyone wanting to replace him for this season at least.

Sky Blue Harry H

I know he’s had an injury but he was great when he first joined us in league one and was very solid last season. I can’t understand anyone wanting to replace him for this season at least.

He's tough and gets stuck in and iis solid in the air; however, he does seem to lack pace and doesn't seem comfortable with the ball at his feet which tended to slow down our build up play at times last season. A tricky one for me - if Stokes wasn't going to get better then if there was a opportunity to get someone in with more pace and who was ok on the ball, I'd take it.

better days

I like both Stokes and Grimmer but I don't think we can argue with Robins when he said that we didn't create enough on the overlap from either side of the pitch last season

Hobo

Stokes has been good, but like any player if we can get someone better?

Esoterica

I like both Stokes and Grimmer but I don't think we can argue with Robins when he said that we didn't create enough on the overlap from either side of the pitch last season
Definitely didn't create enough and it was further exposed with our 2 DMs last year. Very little down the left and while Grimmer is a willing runner his passing/crossing was poor. It's a big ask for fullbacks at this level in a 4-4-2 and with our shape for much of last year. You overlap your winger and then you've got no pass inside because the central midfield are on the defence's toes still, so you've got 2 strikers to aim for between a back 4 plus an opposition midfield with no-one to mark, or try and beat a man yourself, or option 3, roll it back to Jodi Jones and hope he can pop it in the top corner from 20 yards.

Last edited:

Mcbean

And was really good in last few weeks of the season. His return to the First XI made us demonstrably stronger. Played really well in all three play-off games.
Yes you have that nailed - we were going through a wobble and he stepped up and was much more solid in those last 5 matches - good servant - all footballers loose their "fitness" as they get older - i wish him the best

slyblue57

Think Stokes did well for the last 10 or so games. He came back well from his injury As someone else stated he s played in 2 winning Wembley appearances, not a bad record. If he s not out of contract I d keep him as cover without an issue. If we get a bid for him, I d consider it but I would nt want him gone on a fre
pusb

stevefloyd

Yes you have that nailed - we were going through a wobble and he stepped up and was much more solid in those last 5 matches - good servant - all footballers loose their "fitness" as they get older - i wish him the best
he's only 27

Magwitch

Stokes is okay but expendable if we want to be serious contenders next season we need to improve Stokesy is good in division 2 and wouldn’t let you down in division 1 but we need better. Incidently talk of another LB joining Monday, where does Junior Brown fit in then ?

higgs

Stokes is okay but expendable if we want to be serious contenders next season we need to improve Stokesy is good in division 2 and wouldn’t let you down in division 1 but we need better. Incidently talk of another LB joining Monday, where does Junior Brown fit in then ?
Healthy competition

Users who are viewing this thread