Stand up if you've never watched Wasps (2 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Heard last week that the council were giving out free Wasps tickets to staff. That doesn’t offend the nostrils at all, does it?

Yeah it was posted on here, 2 free tickets to council staff.

mrtrench

no, but I have the right to hold that opinion.

Of course, and to express it. Just as those who judge others have the right to express their opinions. The question isn't one of rights, it's about whether it is a pleasant trait to supress the rights of others, even if it is only with words.

clint van damme

Of course, and to express it. Just as those who judge others have the right to express their opinions. The question isn't one of rights, it's about whether it is a pleasant trait to supress the rights of others, even if it is only with words.

what about the rights of people to watch their local club without it been removed from the community are plante 100 miles away?

Hobo

But that wouldn't make it right would it and we'd still be mightily peed off if Man U came here and people suddenly started supporting Man U.

I personally think that anyone who is from Cov and likes rugby, but chooses Wasps over Cov, is kicking Cov rugby in the teeth.

Let's face it we are peed off with people supporting Man United, and Man United haven't even moved here.

Otis

I don't believe I have resorted to insults about it, but I do think the people of Coventry should be annoyed about this. It's not about taking our stadium off us, it's about a sporting club being uprooted and transported 60 miles to a completely different city. How is that acceptable?

How can a team with no affiliation to a city move to that city and suddenly become the major rugby team of that city? And what about Cov Rugby club, who I think have been going since 1874 and have been the premiere rugby club of this city, only to be suddenly usurped and find that a club that has absolutely nothing to do with the city has suddenly taken over their mantle.

Wasps shouldn't be here and I hope they fail here. Of course everyone is free to make their own choices, but that doesn't mean we should therefore accept Wasps ' presence.

Last edited:

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Which is where the whole project is interesting... on an objective level.

It absolutely relies on success. If/when that stops, there could be a massive crash.

Yep exactly that why they seem to keep pulling out the marquee signings!

As with any sport it's easy to follow a successful team.

Nick

Administrator
Yep exactly that why they seem to keep pulling out the marquee signings!

As with any sport it's easy to follow a successful team.

What would be interesting is how many go to away games, know much about the team / game rather than the event it's self?

Granted, I know nothing about Rugby but neither do the people I know who go. They go because they get free tickets and they can get drunk at the seat, if they don't get free tickets they don't pay anything to go and they would have no idea if Wasps are playing away or not.

Nick

Administrator
Wasps shouldn't be here and I hope they fail here. Of course everyone is free to make their own choices, but that doesn't mean we should therefore accept Wasps ' presence.

Since day dot the PR was out, they were schmoozing the Trust, the Telegraph was full of how great it was etc. The hypocrisy has always been breath taking. It was rammed down people's throats how great it was, how they had to else they would die. The trust were making comments about one of their games about how great it was and how ours was awful.

Still remember the guy on Twitter going ape shit with the "fuck off home wasps, you dont belong here, fuck off to london" type stuff. After a few articles in the telegraph he had bought a shirt and was giving it as if he was a lifelong fan of them.

I do wonder how it would be if at the start the telegraph went all out with a petition for them to not come here, the trust were shouting about them going etc just to see how many people would have been influenced by the general feeling of how great wasps are.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

What would be interesting is how many go to away games, know much about the team / game rather than the event it's self?

Granted, I know nothing about Rugby but neither do the people I know who go. They go because they get free tickets and they can get drunk at the seat, if they don't get free tickets they don't pay anything to go and they would have no idea if Wasps are playing away or not.

Exactly, how many know they're at Bath on Friday night.

It's a surreal situation which I still can't believe has happened!

I just hope those that are anti Wasps, rugby fans or not, pop up to the BPA at some point this season and chuck a few quid in CRFC coffers and have a brilliant day!

Last edited:

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Since day dot the PR was out, they were schmoozing the Trust, the Telegraph was full of how great it was etc. The hypocrisy has always been breath taking. It was rammed down people's throats how great it was, how they had to else they would die. The trust were making comments about one of their games about how great it was and how ours was awful.

Still remember the guy on Twitter going ape shit with the "fuck off home wasps, you dont belong here, fuck off to london" type stuff. After a few articles in the telegraph he had bought a shirt and was giving it as if he was a lifelong fan of them.

I do wonder how it would be if at the start the telegraph went all out with a petition for them to not come here, the trust were shouting about them going etc just to see how many people would have been influenced by the general feeling of how great wasps are.

The Wasps PR since they have been in the City has been immense (it is the only thing I will give them credit for!)

Nick

Administrator
Exactly, how many know they're at Bath on Friday night.

It's a surreal situation which I still can't believe will happen.

I just hope those that are anti Wasps, rugby fans or not, pop up to the BPA at some point this season and chuck a few quid in CRFC coffers and have a brilliant day!

From the sounds of it from the Cov Rugby thread and general reaction it seems a lot more appealing in terms of Rugby and the sport (as opposed to waving a flag about or watching some fireworks).

Nick

Administrator
The Wasps PR since they have been in the City has been immense (it is the only thing I will give them credit for!)

I think they have had it easy though, SISU were like a gift from god for any PR team. The example of the Higgs you could see it in motion and actually happening.

It just pretty much needed to be "We aren't SISU", "It's SISU's fault" and it's job done.

Otis

From the sounds of it from the Cov Rugby thread and general reaction it seems a lot more appealing in terms of Rugby and the sport (as opposed to waving a flag about or watching some fireworks).
With Cov this season the fireworks are on the pitch.

chiefdave

The issue I have is that they were allowed by the local media to put out PR without anything being questioned.

For example when they picked the Higgs for their training centre nobody questioned why they'd picked the only one of the thirty-something sites they'd supposedly looked at that would have a big negative impact on CCFC or questioned them on their claims that it was close to the city centre and the Ricoh, neither of which are true.

Nick

Administrator
The issue I have is that they were allowed by the local media to put out PR without anything being questioned.

For example when they picked the Higgs for their training centre nobody questioned why they'd picked the only one of the thirty-something sites they'd supposedly looked at that would have a big negative impact on CCFC or questioned them on their claims that it was close to the city centre and the Ricoh, neither of which are true.

That's where the schmoozing comes into it though. At the time the Telegraph site was branded in Wasps for most of it, they are hardly going to start ripping Wasps to threads and petitioning them to go or saying how moving clubs is wrong. Again, understandable in this day and age where they are fighting for every penny for a local newspaper but doesn't particularly make it right.

The time of the Higgs was shocking on here, it's one of the times it made it obvious about the patterns that something was going to happen as there were record numbers of signups and they were all just focused on the thread about it. The focus was on "the door is open" and "kicking barn at commercial rates" and it was copied and pasted over and over again to make them look helpful and kind.

You can't fault what they do, as it works for them. They get everybody worked up about SISU and CCFC just before and it softens the blow. I have pointed it out a fair few times step by step, it just gets the usual "tin foil hat" reaction but keeps proving to be right.

Still remember a post on here about how great it was that Wasps invited all the local Rugby clubs and they had them walking around the pitch and brought a sense of community. It was the week after CCFC had had all of the kids football clubs doing exactly the same and it was completely ignored, the poster didn't even realise it had happened.

Nick

Administrator
If only the anger and indignation shown now was present when they were coming here

Yes, we know you went to a protest thing that was scheduled before an evening game that got changed to the afternoon without any notice when everybody was at work. I have said over and over fair play to you and LAST for at least being consistent with your views about moving teams and not being hypocritical.

It does seem that as time goes on more people dislike them, at the time they moved there were rumblings of unhappiness about it but not to an extent. I think it was Lincoln Away there were even chants about Wasps.

Like I said though, if what was pushed from local media and fans groups then there might have been more uproar ;)

Speedies_Chips

For those who are complaining about the flag waving at the Wasps games, then I suggest they all watch the Checkatrade DVD which we all got for Xmas. You might notice one or two on there.

Grendel

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Yes, we know you went to a protest thing that was scheduled before an evening game that got changed to the afternoon without any notice when everybody was at work. I have said over and over fair play to you and LAST for at least being consistent with your views about moving teams and not being hypocritical.

It does seem that as time goes on more people dislike them, at the time they moved there were rumblings of unhappiness about it but not to an extent. I think it was Lincoln Away there were even chants about Wasps.
I wasn't referring to that it was all the other times. It was confronting people like Lucas etc. Now it doesn't matter now the kids that are waving Wasp flags won't be City fans

Samo

For me, the bottom line re Wasps is this:
Their presence in this city is to the direct detriment of two great old sporting clubs who bear the name of our city, one of which happens to be my club. I will never be able to get around this. Some will argue that their decision to come was purely business and that's fine but it doesn't mean it does not have repercussions that are deeply felt by communities and individuals. Yes, I've taken it personally and I wish them no success.

Nick

Administrator
My god Nick , Christmas Day and your still BITCHING ! why don't you have a day off , ffs .

Sorry, do you have a problem with somebody CORRECTING facts on a thread they didn't even START ?

I don't have a day off until tomorrow either ;) Why on boxing day are you bumping one of my earlier posts, whilst not even referencing the content or challenging it just to moan at me?

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

From the posters in question it was. Sadly the trust rolled the red carpet out.
The trust met Wasps at a general meeting after they took over if you had been at that meeting you would know everybody there was only interested in how it would impact City. Yes certain Trust members went to a Wasp game same as a lot of CRC fans did and have continued to. There have also been times when all parties have been demonstrated against you have been invited but instead made baseless accusations. You sit there leaving things to others and when they fail you mock. I would rather have those people watching my back than people like you.

Nick

Administrator
The trust met Wasps at a general meeting after they took over if you had been at that meeting you would know everybody there was only interested in how it would impact City. Yes certain Trust members went to a Wasp game same as a lot of CRC fans did and have continued to. There have also been times when all parties have been demonstrated against you have been invited but instead made baseless accusations. You sit there leaving things to others and when they fail you mock. I would rather have those people watching my back than people like you.

You had the Trust leader at the time trying to get free tickets on social media (After being outraged at free tickets at Sixfields) and the Trust spokesperson saying how great it was. Seem to remember a thread on here where if CCFC fans went to watch us if we had moved to the outskirts to Bermuda Park they were selfish and it was Wasps fans problem if they didn't like the move and pushing how great it was. That was a Trust Board Member / Spokesperson on a CCFC Forum... The same person who fights for fans and all that. The same goes for the article from the Sky Blue Trust in national media pushing how great wasps were.

To be honest, I wouldn't want massive hypocrites watching my back. At least you and LAST are pretty much straight up and consistent and will call a spade a spade, there are people like Ashdown who I won't agree with anything on about CCFC but at least they don't show their displeasure of a club being moved to jump onto the bandwagon of another that has been moved.

If somebody wants to show their anger at CCFC by going to watch Cov Rugby then of course I'd prefer more at CCFC as I am born and bred a CCFC fan, but if they go to Cov Rugby then they are still supporting their hometown club and not being hypocrites.

Reading in the Cov Rugby thread, there's a lot of talk about tactics and actual rugby stuff (admittedly a lot over my head). Whenever I have spoken to people I know their plus points are that it was free and they can drink at their seat, no mention at all of what the tries were like etc.

peace ndlovu

For me this thread serves to highlight how one of the principle villains in this mess always seems to escape scrutiny and condemnation.
Although I think SISU are beneath contempt, I am sickened by the councils role in our clubs demise. They didn't have to sell to a London rugby club. I understand the reluctance to sell to SISU but SISU are NOT Coventry City FC. The only constant in CCFC is the fans. I first attended a game in 1978. Since then, we have changed our kit, our badge and of course our stadium. There is literally no one involved in the club then who is involved in it now. However, the fans remain as the only enduring part of what CCFC is. When our council sold the Ricoh to an out of town Rugby club, they pretty much destroyed any prospect that we could build again into a footballing force - and robbed the people that support the City's football club of hope.

oucho

You can disagree with them being here without being nasty about people who don't share your opinion and go there. I find it worrying that many people in this country can no longer disagree with someone without going out of their way to be nasty to them. In my mind it shows a complete lack of respect and empathy.
I agree. As much as I don't have any interest in watching Wasps, I wouldn't criticise anyone else for doing so and some of the comments slagging off people for watching a sports match of their choice, is just embarrassing.

oucho

You had the Trust leader at the time trying to get free tickets on social media (After being outraged at free tickets at Sixfields) and the Trust spokesperson saying how great it was. Seem to remember a thread on here where if CCFC fans went to watch us if we had moved to the outskirts to Bermuda Park they were selfish and it was Wasps fans problem if they didn't like the move and pushing how great it was. That was a Trust Board Member / Spokesperson on a CCFC Forum... The same person who fights for fans and all that. The same goes for the article from the Sky Blue Trust in national media pushing how great wasps were.

To be honest, I wouldn't want massive hypocrites watching my back. At least you and LAST are pretty much straight up and consistent and will call a spade a spade, there are people like Ashdown who I won't agree with anything on about CCFC but at least they don't show their displeasure of a club being moved to jump onto the bandwagon of another that has been moved.

If somebody wants to show their anger at CCFC by going to watch Cov Rugby then of course I'd prefer more at CCFC as I am born and bred a CCFC fan, but if they go to Cov Rugby then they are still supporting their hometown club and not being hypocrites.

Reading in the Cov Rugby thread, there's a lot of talk about tactics and actual rugby stuff (admittedly a lot over my head). Whenever I have spoken to people I know their plus points are that it was free and they can drink at their seat, no mention at all of what the tries were like etc.
To be fair, I don't see any inconsistency with opposing our move to Sixfields, or more to the point, the Wimbleon move to MK, whilst being OK with Wasps moving to Coventry; I don't see the two situations as being the same. In our case, it was clear that the move was soley to provide another home venue whilst SISU tried to break ACL having already torn up a valid lease. In MK Dons' case, it was proper francise football. In Wasps case, they'd played at the Ricoh beforehand and had moved grounds several times, roughly is a more nomadic support and the club didn't have the strong roots in Wycombe that our club and Wimbledon had in their respective towns.

Grendel

To be fair, I don't see any inconsistency with opposing our move to Sixfields, or more to the point, the Wimbleon move to MK, whilst being OK with Wasps moving to Coventry; I don't see the two situations as being the same. In our case, it was clear that the move was soley to provide another home venue whilst SISU tried to break ACL having already torn up a valid lease. In MK Dons' case, it was proper francise football. In Wasps case, they'd played at the Ricoh beforehand and had moved grounds several times, roughly is a more nomadic support and the club didn't have the strong roots in Wycombe that our club and Wimbledon had in their respective towns.

They’d played at the Ricoh in semi finals - it’s like saying we’ve played at Wembley.

“Rugby is a more nomadic sport” - go on provide some evidence.

Grendel

It's only more nomadic because Wasps keep moving themselves for cold hard cash!

He said the sport was nomadic - which of course is total bollocks.

BackRoomRummermill

Wasps
wasp.jpg

Courtesy of Killgerm
Biology and behaviour
Wasps are common throughout Britain as they have had several venues. They are social insects and often make nests in other peoples stadiums, and community. Once a suitable nesting site has been set up, the Queen will lay thousands of eggs in the nest throughout the spring and summer and totally decimate the local sporting heritage. The nest is usually someones stadium and can vary in shape and size. They are made from the loyal fans that supported the stadium being built.

The nest takeover will develop into decimation and within a few years totally eradicate the local sporting heritage.

Last edited:

Legia Sky Blue

They’d played at the Ricoh in semi finals - it’s like saying we’ve played at Wembley.

“Rugby is a more nomadic sport” - go on provide some evidence.

I'm no fan of Wasps, have never been to watch them & can't imagine I ever will. However, rugby and its followers are completely different to football supporters and should not be judged by our own standards of partisan loyalty to our club. I get the impression their followers are more interested in seeing a good game or event, and are not as affected by the result of a given match like their more partisan football counterparts. I have seen Cov play a few times in the past where the opposition have been politely applauded when they enter the field as are tries for and against, while opposing fans sit next to each other exchanging friendly banter, with no aggressive edge.

As for the 'nomadic' tag, Wasps obviously have history for this before their move to the Ricoh, having already moved out of London to Wycombe. Saracens previously moved out of London to Watford and London Irish play in Reading. Of course not too long ago Cov themselves tried to take over Bedford when they were in the Rugby Premier League, in order to parachute themselves in Bedford's place into the top league. I think that provides plenty of evidence that rugby is more nomadic in terms of it's recent history, and its less partisan support base.

Grendel

I'm no fan of Wasps, have never been to watch them & can't imagine I ever will. However, rugby and its followers are completely different to football supporters and should not be judged by our own standards of partisan loyalty to our club. I get the impression their followers are more interested in seeing a good game or event, and are not as affected by the result of a given match like their more partisan football counterparts. I have seen Cov play a few times in the past where the opposition have been politely applauded when they enter the field as are tries for and against, while opposing fans sit next to each other exchanging friendly banter, with no aggressive edge.

As for the 'nomadic' tag, Wasps obviously have history for this before their move to the Ricoh, having already moved out of London to Wycombe. Saracens previously moved out of London to Watford and London Irish play in Reading. Of course not too long ago Cov themselves tried to take over Bedford when they were in the Rugby Premier League, in order to parachute themselves in Bedford's place into the top league. I think that provides plenty of evidence that rugby is more nomadic in terms of it's recent history, and its less partisan support base.

So Northampton, Gloucester, Leicester, Exeter to name but a few are not partisan fans? They would move to another town?

A move to Watford is out of London? Really? Reading? Oh dear.

I love it when someone says “I’m no wasps fan” and then frantically makes the longest post in their brief posting history to defend an indefensible position. It’s very transparent.

I prefer the views of more independent sources

Nick Cain: Good luck ‘Coventry Wasps’, the great club I joined is dead | The Rugby Paper

NorthernWisdom

Knew this'd come up.

So... Wasps moved about a bit, a bit like Milton Keynes. Furthermore, their stated intention was to return to their roots until they spotted an opportunity for some carpet bagging.

Saracens moved out to the vicinity before going back... a bit like Bristol Rovers.

London Irish moved out to the vicinity... a bit like AFC Wimbledon.

Cov failed to take over Bedford, it was blackballed.

Oh, let's not forget Richmond either, who moved out and bankrupted themselves, so went back to their traditional home. If you were being particularly negative you could suggest that was a bit like, well... us in terms of moving out and returning to their traditional home.

Or Sale who, owned by a property developer, parachuted into Stockport and ended up destroying the football club as a result before bogging off elsewhere in Greater Manchester. Let's not forget, after all, Chester City managed to move around Cheshire for a bit. Or maybe Brighton, who bogged off to Gillingham for a spell...

I'm afraid it's total bollocks that Rugby is more nomadic than football. These are the exceptions and, usually, are motivated by self-interested owners seeking to capitalise on inflated property prices.

It suits a certain viewpoint to suggest Rugby is more nomadic however when the evidence is very much... that it isn't.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread