Stand up if you've never watched Wasps (3 Viewers)

oucho

Why is it never enough for some people just to like something, such as watching the Sky Blues? Why the need to make a point of disliking something else and belittling the people that follow that sport?

I like football and rugby and cricket and other sports. I'll be watching the Six Nations in the NY. Sorry if that means that somehow some people think that means I don't really like football.
Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike rugby, or people who watch it, or even Wasps. I've said elsewhere I don't have a problem with their ownership of the Ricoh or the way that came about. It's just that I personally have no interest at all in going, and wanted to see who else on here feels differently. The main point is trying to figure out how many current or ex CCFC fans go to Wasps games.

mrtrench

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike rugby, or people who watch it, or even Wasps. I've said elsewhere I don't have a problem with their ownership of the Ricoh or the way that came about. It's just that I personally have no interest at all in going, and wanted to see who else on here feels differently. The main point is trying to figure out how many current or ex CCFC fans go to Wasps games.

A far more reasonable and considerate opinion than this for example. Not the first time that this poster has displayed a complete lack of respect for anyone who disagrees with him.

Any person from Coventry that goes to Wasps games is contemptible.

Hobo

Well that's it in a nutshell and that should end the thread right there. If you are interested in rugby go and support Coventry Rugby Club.
The fact is there are loads of local rugby clubs you could support; Coventry, Broadstreet, Earlsdon, Barkers.....

However I do feel the concepts of club loyalty are slightly different between Football and Rugby. The bottom line is people can have their own principles but it comes down to freedom of choice.

I had my reasons for not going to Northampton, some fans chose to go....and I respected their freedom of choice to go. Yes there were reasons not to go, but 'I just want to support my team whatever' was also a good reason to go.

There is no obligation to support Coventry City or Coventry Rugby or Wasps. Self promotion has been driven by complacency at Coventry City and Coventry Rugby in the past. Rowland Winter is a breath of fresh air at Coventry Rugby and has really opened up communication with the fans backed by Chairman John Sharpe and business manager Lara Hunter. The club really has some momentum going and everyone involved feels part of it.

Fisher and Seppala should look and learn. I have often said on here it is not what SISU have done more the way they go about it that is at fault. They have missed opportunity after opportunity to engage the fans and get them on board.

Fans also have a part to play in promoting their own club and bringing in new customers. But just slagging off the opposition is a promotional campaign doomed to failure.

Otis

The fact is there are loads of local rugby clubs you could support; Coventry, Broadstreet, Earlsdon, Barkers.....

However I do feel the concepts of club loyalty are slightly different between Football and Rugby. The bottom line is people can have their own principles but it comes down to freedom of choice.

I had my reasons for not going to Northampton, some fans chose to go....and I respected their freedom of choice to go. Yes there were reasons not to go, but 'I just want to support my team whatever' was also a good reason to go.

There is no obligation to support Coventry City or Coventry Rugby or Wasps. Self promotion has been driven by complacency at Coventry City and Coventry Rugby in the past. Rowland Winter is a breath of fresh air at Coventry Rugby and has really opened up communication with the fans backed by Chairman John Sharpe and business manager Lara Hunter. The club really has some momentum going and everyone involved feels part of it.

Fisher and Seppala should look and learn. I have often said on here it is not what SISU have done more the way they go about it that is at fault. They have missed opportunity after opportunity to engage the fans and get them on board.

Fans also have a part to play in promoting their own club and bringing in new customers. But just slagging off the opposition is a promotional campaign doomed to failure.
Yeah, guess it must be down to different concepts of loyalty, otherwise I just don't get it.

Coventry City supporters can't be supporting the club because of the glory years, cos there hasn't been any since the mid 1960's, so I assume people are City fans because this is their home town club.

And that's why I can't get my head around people being Coventry people, supporting Coventry City, liking rugby, but then choosing Wasps over their own local club.

It's a headshaker for me.

Terry_dactyl

I agree for the most part but it’s pretty difficult not to feel some animosity towards a team that are in ‘our’ stadium, are not from cov, and are owned by the same sort of gobshites that own us.
I won’t be going to watch wasps and can’t empathise with cov fans that do.

Grendel

Yeah, guess it must be down to different concepts of loyalty, otherwise I just don't get it.

Coventry City supporters can't be supporting the club because of the glory years, cos there hasn't been any since the mid 1960's, so I assume people are City fans because this is there home town club.

And that's why I can't get my head around people being Coventry people, supporting Coventry City, liking rugby, but then choosing Wasps over their own local club.

Not really. If a big football club moved into the area plenty would go and see it. They wouldn’t have the same loyalty but they would see it.

In the end wasps paying fan base on average is around 12,000 a game if you strip out frees, free concessions and away following . They’ve clearly not sold many season tickets as slimeball Eastwood would be all over the media if they had.

It’s premier league rugby so it’s average. There’s always big games that attract some higher levels but that’s the level they are at. It’s lower lever championship football size averages.

Grendel

Also from a financial perspective this great business that relies on its bond repayment saw the bond reduce in value by 12.5% in the last month.

It will be interesting to see if that recovers on January 19th which is a pivotal day for them.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Not really. If a big football club moved into the area plenty would go and see it. They wouldn’t have the same loyalty but they would see it.

In the end wasps paying fan base on average is around 12,000 a game if you strip out frees, free concessions and away following . They’ve clearly not sold many season tickets as slimeball Eastwood would be all over the media if they had.

It’s premier league rugby so it’s average. There’s always big games that attract some higher levels but that’s the level they are at. It’s lower lever championship football size averages.
How do you know its around 12000?

Grendel

How do you know its around 12000?

Oh look someone’s batphone was on the alert.

The average is 15,000 - they give free tickets and we are told by the club itself that a large percentage are younger children - who are allowed in free.

If anything it’s an over estimate.

Hobo

Coventry City supporters can't be supporting the club because of the glory years, cos there hasn't been any since the mid 1960's, so I assume people are City fans because this is their home town club.

The football fans I know who have converted to rugby are going to Coventry Rugby, which fits your mindset and I have to say mine.

The people I know who have chosen to adopt Wasps or at least pick and choose games are either new converts (who don't particularly like football as a sport or just don't like the fan mentality) or existing rugby fans. Their reasons seems to be ' its a chance to watch top flight rugby.'

For instance I have a friend who this year has been to New Zealand v Barbarians, Ulster v Munster, Northern Ireland v West Germany, I have seen him at Coventry Rugby. If Coventry got Liverpool or Arsenal in the cup he would probably go. Some on here would have him down as a glory Hunter. No he puts a lot of money into following sport, but rather than follow one team he chooses to go to a big game. It's his money and his enjoyment after all.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Oh look someone’s batphone was on the alert.

The average is 15,000 - they give free tickets and we are told by the club itself that a large percentage are younger children - who are allowed in free.

If anything it’s an over estimate.
I get signs that you're posting one of your estimated definate facts,

Otis

But that wouldn't make it right would it and we'd still be mightily peed off if Man U came here and people suddenly started supporting Man U.

I personally think that anyone who is from Cov and likes rugby, but chooses Wasps over Cov, is kicking Cov rugby in the teeth.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

The football fans I know who have converted to rugby are going to Coventry Rugby, which fits your mindset and I have to say mine.

The people I know who have chosen to adopt Wasps or at least pick and choose games are either new converts (who don't particularly like football as a sport or just don't like the fan mentality) or existing rugby fans. Their reasons seems to be ' its a chance to watch top flight rugby.'

I would say the people I know this is the most common bracket.

I've had a few snipes and 'laughs' at my expense for sticking with Cov Rugby over Wasps by new fans, only a couple of people or times and that for me is the biggest insult of the lot.
Majority that have gone over to Wasps that I know were/are very casual sports fans the sort that would take great excitement out of a Mexican wave or waving a flag.

Grendel

I get signs that you're posting one of your estimated definate facts,

I get signs that you seem very defensive when a negative is posted about a certain nomadic rugby club.
Has Nicky promised some freebies at the next trust meeting?

clint van damme

Why is it never enough for some people just to like something, such as watching the Sky Blues? Why the need to make a point of disliking something else and belittling the people that follow that sport?

I like football and rugby and cricket and other sports. I'll be watching the Six Nations in the NY. Sorry if that means that somehow some people think that means I don't really like football.

none of the replies previous to this post disparaged Rugby, just Wasps.
I'm not sure why you mentioned the 6 nation, I'd wager most of us follow it and catch coverage of at least a couple of games when it's on. This is purely about the antics of another out of town hedge fund.

'By moving to Coventry, Wasps have told their fans they don't matter'

mrtrench

none of the replies previous to this post disparaged Rugby, just Wasps.
I'm not sure why you mentioned the 6 nation, I'd wager most of us follow it and catch coverage of at least a couple of games when it's on. This is purely about the antics of another out of town hedge fund.

'By moving to Coventry, Wasps have told their fans they don't matter'

For me, this is about respect for other people and live and let live. I have no problem with people who don't like rugby, or who like rugby but don't want to watch Wasps. What I have an objection to is ganging together to cast insults at people who do. It seems to be a fundamental part of some people's nature to single out groups of people doing no harm to others for spite.

Oucho has explained that it was not his intention to do that. OK - but he started a thread where others have done so.

I haven't been to see Wasps and if I'm travelling up to Coventry I'll be seeing my family and the Sky Blues if I can - so I'm unlikely to go to watch Wasps - but I defend the right of others to go without 'contempt'.

Last edited:

Terry Gibson's perm

Once went to a cov game it was boring and I never went back don’t watch the six nations and always switch it off it anything to do with the game comes on the box.

Legia Sky Blue

But that wouldn't make it right would it and we'd still be mightily peed off if Man U came here and people suddenly started supporting Man U.

I personally think that anyone who is from Cov and likes rugby, but chooses Wasps over Cov, is kicking Cov rugby in the teeth.
I agree with your sentiment but plenty of Cov people (majority probably) that are into football choose other teams over CCFC. Why would rugby be any different?

clint van damme

For me, this is about respect for other people and live and let live. I have no problem with people who don't like rugby, or who like rugby but don't want to watch Wasps. What I have an objection to is ganging together to cast insults at people who do. It seems to be a fundamental part of some people's nature to single out groups of people doing no harm to others for spite.

Oucho has explained that it was not his intention to do that. OK - but he started a thread where others have done so.

I haven't been to see Wasps and if I'm travelling up to Coventry I'll be seeing my family and the Sky Blues if I can - so I'm unlikely to go to watch Wasps - but I defend the right of others to go without 'contempt'.

I find them being here contemptible to be honest.

I have friends who watch them, though they are, and always have been rugby fans so I try not to be too rude about them.
I will never agree with a sports team been ripped from it's community and plonked miles away and it would be hypocritical of me to do so given my opinion of sisu doing so to us.

NorthernWisdom

I would agree.

That being said, I wouldn't class that as an insult against people who watch them, any more than saying SISU are contemptible is an insult against people who watch us!

I will never agree with a sports team been ripped from it's community and plonked miles away and it would be hypocritical of me to do so given my opinion of sisu doing so to us.

Also agree!

mrtrench

I have friends who watch them, though they are, and always have been rugby fans so I try not to be too rude about them.

You can disagree with them being here without being nasty about people who don't share your opinion and go there. I find it worrying that many people in this country can no longer disagree with someone without going out of their way to be nasty to them. In my mind it shows a complete lack of respect and empathy.

RoboCCFC90

Some city fans are pathetic towards Wasps. The blame of our current plight lies with Richardson, Robinson and more over SISU. Had a season ticket with city for 25 years before Northampton, haven’t and won’t be back until SISU have gone, as much as it hurts.

Had a season ticket with wasps since they came, they run a club property, treat the fans right and it’s top class rugby on the door step.

I hate what’s happened to city but it’s not wasps fault.

Can I ask why you don’t watch the City’s Rugby team - Cov..

Fair enough you've made your choices not to watch City, but you’ve decided to watch a Rugby team that doesn’t belong here, add to the fact that if you watched the City’s own Rugby team they’d probably benefit from it more.

Just my view, but I don’t understand watching Wasps unless it’s for the glory of supporting a team that is doing semi-well.

clint van damme

You can disagree with them being here without being nasty about people who don't share your opinion and go there. I find it worrying that many people in this country can no longer disagree with someone without going out of their way to be nasty to them. In my mind it shows a complete lack of respect and empathy.

That's fair enough but I don't think they should be here and I don't think people from Cov should go and watch them, sorry if that sounds like lack of respect but that is my heartfelt view.

mrtrench

That's fair enough but I don't think they should be here
That's fine.

I don't think people from Cov should go and watch them
That's moving towards the line. You don't get to choose what other people do and think.

Any person from Coventry that goes to Wasps games is contemptible.
And that's bounding right over the line, assuming the right to condemn other people who don't think exactly as you do.

Ian1779

I know 1 person who should go and see the Wasps judging by comments of son and family .He might learn something about entertaining the punters before, during and after the game. Mr Fisher . When they left well over an hour after the game the exhibition hall was still over half full.

If you have to put on that much 'entertainment' before and after to entice the punters, it would suggest your actual product is pretty shite...

Nick

Administrator
If rugby fans want to go and watch wasps then I have no issue and no bad word to say, I can see why for example Dave from broad Street would go and watch.

It's people like the example in this thread who do my head in though with their hypocrisy and clear lack of understanding.

joemercersaces

Heard last week that the council were giving out free Wasps tickets to staff. That doesn’t offend the nostrils at all, does it?

shy_tall_knight

Never watched them live, actively avoid any news stories or TV coverage, do check their results hoping that they lose. Know far too many people who have switched allegiance from Cov to WASPS, worse still its the casual fans who will chose a WASPS game over Christmas over Cov for example.

If we were equal partners (highly unlikely) I think I could stomach their presence but they business model / strategy will benefit from our demise.

SkyBlueZack

People getting upset about wasps not being liked. Where were you all when people have criticised CCFC fans for going sixfields? Or was that ok? Oh and read what wasps fans say about CCFC and it's fans.

Users who are viewing this thread