St Andrew's it is then (3 Viewers)

Sky Blue Pete

Im not the right person to ask for positive action right now. I go through fits of football induced optimism, but my stance has long been it’s out of our hands and down to two people to resolve, this just reinforces that. We can just sit and watch and hope the club is in a decent state once it’s all over.
Derek Richardson and Joy Seppalla?

Sky Blue Pete

Good question. I think when Wasps do eventually go under (and they will) then the Ricoh comes the focus but if wasps are hanging in there Within the next two years of which I doubt then the Warwick uni site Has to go ahead.
The five year window I think gives wasps the opportunity to go under and if not the new site gets a spade in it!
We can’t wait 2 years with no progress

jordan210

don’t agree- fuck them, let them rot or thrive, whatever, I won’t be spending a single second thinking about how they’re doing unless they go under, at which point I’ll be very happy.

maybe a giant positive CCFC flag instead. To cover some seats

ccfcway

Are people really happy to play in bloody Birmingham and wait at least 5 years for a Lego arena which is even further out of town than the Ricoh, thinking it will be a new spiritual home?

I'm happy to play elsewhere (cov or elsewhere) for 5 years to have a long term home of our own, YES. That said, as already proved (see Stadium designs of 2013), there is no guarantees any stadium will be built though....

Also, regarding location, it depends where you live. The guys i go to games with are Finham and Tile Hill, Warwick Uni is considerably more accessible than Ricoh.

theferret

I can't usually abide twitter pile-ons, but have to say, seeing Kevin Maton get pulled to pieces has cheered me up no end.

Much as I worry about the future of the club, there isn't really much more we can do other than rally behind them right now.

We also need to make sure that if serious plans for a new stadium are presented we shout our support from the rooftops and drown out the council PR machine that will mobilise a nimby army not seen since Swampy set up camp outside of Newbury.

Ring Of Steel

I can't usually abide twitter pile-ons, but have to say, seeing Kevin Maton get pulled to pieces has cheered me up no end.

Much as I worry about the future of the club, there isn't really much more we can do other than rally behind them right now.

We also need to make sure that if serious plans for a new stadium are presented we shout our support from the rooftops and drown out the council PR machine that will mobilise a nimby army not seen since Swampy set up camp outside of Newbury.

I’m not going on twitter as I know I’ll end up sucked in and on there all night. I bought the new training top & shorts instead in a fit of “that’ll show ‘em” bravado :LOL:

I’ll take 5 years away if it means a new home, and I’d like to think there’s an element of ‘what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger’ to it all, at least I hope so.

Brighton Sky Blue

I want us to get bigger crowds than them every match day next season and will buy multiple season tickets to help meet that. Let’s make it happen and royally embarrass the insect pricks

Cavan O'Doherty

Spin it whichever way you like, 5 years (at least) at St Andrews significantly hampers our ability to progress as a club. All three parties should hang their heads in shame yet again, most of all the council. Bunch of cronies that wouldn’t bat an eyelid if the club ceased to exist.

wantageskyblue

I’ll make the lengthy trek to some games at St. Andrews when Covid allows, but with a very heavy heart. Really hope the team entertains us like they did last season, because all the other stuff brings mental pain. My thoughts for what it’s worth are:

SISU – catastrophic misjudgements and incompetence for at least the first 6 or 7 years, notably dropping the offer to the charity from £5m £2m, employing a string of no-hopers to run the club, trying to screw elected politicians for the “unencumbered freehold”, and taking CCFC hostage at Sixfields thinking they were the only game in town. Playing a much better game lately, Joy has become visible and I do like Boddy, but why did it take over 10 years to see the light?

Wasps – a plastic entity that went from a London club to a South East franchise to a West Midlands franchise, and whose fans didn’t do much to stop it. Knowing nothing about club rugby, I thought they had a secure place at the European top table, which at least brought something to the area. But they are sinking into the mire on and off the pitch. Their attempts to impose the indemnity clause on CCFC leave me speechless – how insulting can you get?

CCC – had sympathy for their stance back in 2012 or so, when the option of handing over the keys on SISU’s terms must have been politically impossible. I foolishly assumed there was a plan when they brought Wasps in, with a big buyer waiting in the wings to embrace the stadium and both clubs. That’s still what I’d like to see tbh but there’s so much debt all over the place, personal feuds and such a shitshow, I can’t see it happening. Should have realised there never was a plan.

Somehow, the above parties (+ others) have engineered a situation where a city like Coventry now has two debt-laden sports clubs operating well below elite standard, one barely viable 30,000 seat stadium and another 20,000 one on the horizon. Are people really happy to play in bloody Birmingham and wait at least 5 years for a Lego arena which is even further out of town than the Ricoh, thinking it will be a new spiritual home?

Beginning to think for the first time that Wasps folding is our best hope, and not an unrealistic scenario.
Not much that I disagree with there Calista.

Like you I will continue to make the journey to SA (2 hours each way) as and when I can. The Covid issue may make it easier for me to get to mid week games now as I am WFH. My girls are getting older now and I hope that this too will allow me more opportunity to go too. I am even seriously considering getting a ST even though I won’t be able to attend every game.

I am so tired of all the politics involved around CCFC. They have been my team for 46 years and I will continue to support them in person whenever I can.

What really gets me is the attitude of so many ‘supporters’ who have allegedly washed their hands of the Club because of SISU. Who do they think has kept the Club afloat these last few years? Open your eyes there is more than one party involved here and they all have their own agendas.

Serious question - do the people of Coventry actually want a football club? If so go to the games if and when you can. That doesn’t just mean the ‘big’ games when you might happen to know a ST holder to get you a ticket. There are many supporters who go to games regularly who don’t live in the city it’s about time the alleged supporters who actually live in the city got behind their team instead of making up excuses for not going.

I understand that there are a whole host of reasons why people can’t go (employment situation, money, kids, family issues etc.) and this post isn’t aimed at them. However if you can’t be arsed to go unless it’s a big game, or until they are back at HR, or it’s a few quid more to get there, wake up, the Club, manager and players will need the supporters more than ever next season.

shmmeee

Got to say, the way it’s now the fans fault if this doesn’t work out:

giphy.gif

Johnnythespider

We can’t wait 2 years with no progress
Pete, in your meetings with "interested parties" could you try and get some sort of timeline for the uni project, such as when they might apply for planning, updates from meetings with agencies involved in transport infrastructure, it would be nice to know, as fans, at what point we should give up on the Ricoh and go all in on the new stadium plan.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

There goes all my enthusiasm.

Oh well, Preston, Barnsley or Sheffield Wednesday away perhaps.

Really sad about this.

I still remember staying up all night in Perth to see whether SISU had saved the club . I thought that was good news at the time.

Last edited:

Brylowes

It is pretty obvious from the statement that the council has stuck it's beak in, in which case you do wonder what they're so afraid of?
Why though !! As someone I always regard as the most unsuffering of fools yet sensible Poster on here, what makes you think that.
The club are releasing news in such away that would make Cummings and Bojo proud, you would normally expose them for their actions.

eastwoodsdustman

We now, more than ever, need to stick together as a club, team and supporters. Its clear that our council dont want the club in Coventry so we need to ensure that we carry on without their support (Not that we've ever had it) and make sure we see the whole saga through to getting our own ground. Even if wasps go to the wall I for one will not be comfortable going to the ricoh again. The council are clearly still in charge of the ground and I feel that we should leave them with a huge stadium shaped white elephant.

mr_monkey

Why though !! As someone I always regard as the most unsuffering of fools yet sensible Poster on here, what makes you think that.
The club are releasing news in such away that would make Cummings and Bojo proud, you would normally expose them for their actions.

Because who else would the "3rd party" be? It's obvious that the council have said to wasps that if the EU find them guilty and they have to recoup any money that they will expect wasps to pay it (as they should tbf as it appears they grosly undespaid for the Ricoh)

It's all semantics now though unfortunately, only chance we have to get back to cov within 5 years is for a verdict in the EU case, otherwise it'll be st Andrews until the Warwick uni stadium is built

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator

Because it has been pretty obvious for years that the council are sticking their beak in?

What are their actions? Calling out Wasps / CCC again?

ccfcway

What makes you think that?

nothing, just querying the 3rd party bit and if it could be them instead of the assumed council ?

If the case finds sisu claim to be correct, council may have to take the arena off wasps. Not only wasps lose, but surely ACL would as well ?

mr_monkey

nothing, just querying the 3rd party bit and if it could be them instead of the assumed council ?

If the case finds sisu claim to be correct, council may have to take the arena off wasps. Not only wasps lose, but surely ACL would as well ?

Hadn't thought about it like that, very good point. Hopefully someone will be able to clear this up as I think it's an important issue as if it is the council we need to know why

Grendel

Acl are wasps holdings what are you on about

shmmeee

Amazes me on the Facebook forum there are still people who spell it "richo". I usually wouldn't mind but the arena itself has had big fuck off red lettering plastered on it since 2005.

When I taught at Grace Academy every kid had the words Grace Academy on thei blazer, written over and over on a lanyard, and plastered on every notice board and computer screen. Could the kids spell “academy”? Of course not.

Hadn't thought about it like that, very good point. Hopefully someone will be able to clear this up as I think it's an important issue as if it is the council we need to know why

Doubt you’ll ever get confirmation besides people coming out to say it’s not them maybe.

mr_monkey

When I taught at Grace Academy every kid had the words Grace Academy on thei blazer, written over and over on a lanyard, and plastered on every notice board and computer screen. Could the kids spell “academy”? Of course not.

Doubt you’ll ever get confirmation besides people coming out to say it’s not them maybe.

That's what I'm hoping, it seems to be a wide assumption that it's the council so hopefully if it's not them they will do a big song and dance about it not being them

Users who are viewing this thread