Squad Depth (1 Viewer)

Londonccfcfan

Whilst our first team has made a great start to this season iceing on the cake the football being played a joy to watch.

The Squad depth is huge concern. We have about 16 players at this level. Some are injured.

Already picking up lots of yellows. Back up in defence is concerning.

Do we still need to spend in this window and get a couple in?

SBT

LWB is the only real gaping hole. Don’t think we can expect Maatsen to play all 46 games this season. (Got to keep him fresh for the playoffs, right?)

I would have said CB and CM were a problem, but Sheaf and Allen respectively look like options there all of a sudden.

block16

Rose and JCS weren't in the squad and we were fine. Kelly, Shipley and Howley will bolster the midfield options. We have plenty of forwards and bright as a backup for O'Hare. We have decent squad depth imo

Sky Blue Pete

No options off the bench last season this season we have.

Maatsen could run all day every day

Not counting Dacosta as I don’t think he’s at the level but everyone else was yesterday

So in addition to those 12 we have

Walker
Kelly
Rose
Clarke-salter

So you’re right but that’s better than last year

Fully expect at least one in and depending on outs maybe more

Londonccfcfan

LWB is the only real gaping hole. Don’t think we can expect Maatsen to play all 46 games this season. (Got to keep him fresh for the playoffs, right?)

I would have said CB and CM were a problem, but Sheaf and Allen respectively look like options there all of a sudden.

Agree LWB needs addressing. The fact Reid didn't make squad doesn't fill you with confidence.

Defence is still a big issue.
Mcfadz, will struggle with 2 games a week with little recovery time in between.

2 centre backs pulled up yesterday and its literally major surgery at the back.

SBT

RWB is a concern, if Dabo gets injured then Dacosta will have to play there, which is a worry.

We’ve got Dacosta, Eccles, Pask and even Hamer who can play there. None of them good options, but I can’t see us spending money on another RWB.

Londonccfcfan

Heavily reliant on Hyam/Mcfadz/Dabo being ever presents again. Dabo/Maatsen I pray they stay fit for 46 games but that isn't gonna happen realistically is those unforgiving roles.

Londonccfcfan

Rose and JCS weren't in the squad and we were fine. Kelly, Shipley and Howley will bolster the midfield options. We have plenty of forwards and bright as a backup for O'Hare. We have decent squad depth imo

No issue with our strength in depth up front or in midfield.

Back 5.

Just 4 games in and we seen Dabo deployed RCB.

block16

No issue with our strength in depth up front or in midfield.

Back 5.

Just 4 games in and we seen Dabo deployed RCB.
Which worked nicely enough. Also Ben sheaf can drop in there if needed. Thats the definition of depth having multiple players to cover each position which we've showcased. I get if we have a Liverpool style injury crisis but we not many clubs can plan for an event like that. We're relatively well covered for a championship side in my opinion

Londonccfcfan

I Think our Squad depth was pretty much highlighted. When we played Northampton. Again major issues at the back.

I'm concerned and nervous if we don't get one versatile defender in.

clint van damme

I think Shipleys opportunities will be very limited. Think Eccles will be ahead of him when he's fit

skybluegod

Agree LWB needs addressing. The fact Reid didn't make squad doesn't fill you with confidence.

Defence is still a big issue.
Mcfadz, will struggle with 2 games a week with little recovery time in between.

2 centre backs pulled up yesterday and its literally major surgery at the back.

Based on what? He's not struggled at any other point? He is also one of the fittest within the whole squad? He doesn't have any substantial history of muscular injury, and has missed very few games barring suspension for us?

As on overall reply to the thread:

I don't know many teams that would struggle with missing 2 CB's in this division? Especially when playing 3 at the back. I don't understand why da Costa was played over pask? If pask is still here we should utilise him in my view.

Our squad depth when considering our budget limitations is actually quite strong. With 1 more still to come in. We don't have the luxury of being able to have 22 championship standard players in this league. And as I have said in other threads, just because players are in the SBT bomb squad doesn't mean the squad doesn't have depth it just means you aren't happy with them. But the likes of Allen and sheaf are just the most recent examples of proving that wrong.

RegiswasGod

I'd argue that they've always been options. Both - particularly Sheaf - very underrated by too many.

clint van damme

Agreed, but also highlighting the point there is squad depth surely?

Oh definitely. We have much better options off the bench than last season though I couldn't believe it when I heard Dacosta was starting.

I think it shows that the wing backs getting forwards integral to how we play and Robins isn't prepared to sacrifice that by playing someone more defensively minded which is probably why Pask is out of favour

skybluegod

Oh definitely. We have much better options off the bench than last season though I couldn't believe it when I heard Dacosta was starting.

I think it shows that the wing backs getting forwards integral to how we play and Robins isn't prepared to sacrifice that by playing someone more defensively minded which is probably why Pask is out of favour

Agreed, I would understand not starting him at RWB because as you say the wing backs are so important, but to not start him at RCB was just odd to me? Perhaps he's just not wanting to utilise him if he could be off, who knows! As long as we win I don't care

skybluegod

When we're already playing Dabo and Sheaf at centre back, and only have one LWB who's getting closer to a suspension by the match... there is no depth!

When you have 2 CB's out yes there is? I think everyone agrees we are short a LWB, ideally a defender who can play LWB and CB. Other than that, as I have said previously, not many squads in this division will be able to cope with 2/3 injuries to any singular area of the pitch.

Gibbo

Whilst our first team has made a great start to this season iceing on the cake the football being played a joy to watch.

The Squad depth is huge concern. We have about 16 players at this level. Some are injured.

Already picking up lots of yellows. Back up in defence is concerning.

Do we still need to spend in this window and get a couple in?
I am totally with you on this. The first eleven looks good, but thereafter hmmm, not so sure.

If you think about it the central spine of the team has had some serious investment in it - Hamer, Gyokeres and Sheaf all cost money. O'Hare is a highly valuable player and Moore appears to be a bargain. The problem is central defence even when all are fit and as you say the back ups when injuries and suspensions kick in. Howley maybe promising but as a sub for Hamer - not yet. As for left wing back, let's not go there.

Everybody was saying this, almost without exception, before the season started, but suddenly after three wins against three of the poorer teams for some at least everything in the garden is hunky dory.

On a seperate note, Dabo being played out of position does not excuse his clumsy challenge yesterday.

skybluegod

So we have one reserve CB we're happy with, then? To cover three positions over the season.

We don't know why Pask isn't involved? It seems strange he was heavily involved at start of pre-season and now he's not involved Who knows why? Either way we have 6 senior CB's on the books. That is squad depth. If they aren't picked as options then they should be moved on and their place can be filled?

Again as before JCS signed, let's see who the last signing is, I have a feeling it will be a versatile defender.

NorthernWisdom

Clearly not. It’s ridiculous
We can hope McFadzean can play every game this season, but there's every chance he'll need to be rested now and again. Rose had injury issues last season, is already injured this... and we're playing Dabo CB in two out of our first four games, before the fixtures start to pile up.

We now have Rose and Salter Clarke which is one more option than last season, unfortunately, or maybe typically, both injured!
We signed him in the end then?

clint van damme

I am totally with you on this. The first eleven looks good, but thereafter hmmm, not so sure.

If you think about it the central spine of the team has had some serious investment in it - Hamer, Gyokeres and Sheaf all cost money. O'Hare is a highly valuable player and Moore appears to be a bargain. The problem is central defence even when all are fit and as you say the back ups when injuries and suspensions kick in. Howley maybe promising but as a sub for Hamer - not yet. As for left wing back, let's not go there.

Everybody was saying this, almost without exception, before the season started, but suddenly after three wins against three of the poorer teams for some at least everything in the garden is hunky dory.

On a seperate note, Dabo being played out of position does not excuse his clumsy challenge yesterday.

2 subs scored yesterday, suggests we've got some decent options from the bench.

Users who are viewing this thread