Squad Depth (3 Viewers)

Grendel

We don't know why Pask isn't involved? It seems strange he was heavily involved at start of pre-season and now he's not involved Who knows why? Either way we have 6 senior CB's on the books. That is squad depth. If they aren't picked as options then they should be moved on and their place can be filled?

Again as before JCS signed, let's see who the last signing is, I have a feeling it will be a versatile defender.

Robins has told Pask he can go.

Gint11

LWB and another 10.
If O Hare gets injured we lost 85% of our attacking threat and we can’t yet rely on JJ or Bright

ceetee

Pask's non-selection is a mystery. I'm not saying he is a long term answer, although he deserves a chance, but I can't see that DaCosta is a lower risk at RWB than Pask. DaCosta looked totally lost yesterday and even the less experienced players were directing him. In the second half he showed a couple of flashes of what he can do going forward which would be OK if we played wingers. But we don't.

SlowerThanPlatt

Who was the last first team player we signed who didn’t even make his debut? I thought Lateef Elford Aliyu but he made 2 appearances. Al Bangura?

Deity

Jobello will have suitors but Hilssner will be difficult. Easy to say in hindsight but I’m not sure how he managed to get a move to a Championship club, he’s played the majority of his career in Germany’s third tier
I’m sure Robins knows he can’t rely on Da Costa or Reid. I’d be surprised if both positions were not strengthened.

I still think we lack true pace up front. Vik Is holding the ball up well but if we had a flying machine on the bench to stretched tired legs I really do think that would be a real boost.

maybe Tavares or Dinanga can perform that role but I’ve not seen enough of them to assess their real pace.

I increasingly think it’s one of Vik or Wagg upfront but not both. They are very similar.

SlowerThanPlatt

Al Bangura didn’t make an appearance but he only signed a 2 month deal I think - there was Nigel Pearson’s son ex Leicester who played a Checkatrade game then got his contract terminated the next day

clint van damme

I’m sure Robins knows he can’t rely on Da Costa or Reid. I’d be surprised if both positions were not strengthened.

I still think we lack true pace up front. Vik Is holding the ball up well but if we had a flying machine on the bench to stretched tired legs I really do think that would be a real boost.

maybe Tavares or Dinanga can perform that role but I’ve not seen enough of them to assess their real pace.

I increasingly think it’s one of Vik or Wagg upfront but not both. They are very similar.

If we had a pacey front man who could finish we could probably start talking about the play offs, but they come at a premium unfortunately.

Mucca Mad Boys

We don’t need pace upfront - it’s an obsession.

Gyokeres is big, quick and strong for his size and has caused problems in every game he’s played in so far. Even Walker has decent pace, movement and strength for his size.

As for Godden, his movement and the finishing for that goal yesterday is king for a striker.

Pace is overrated. Movement and finishing is way more important and between Gyo, Godden, Walker and Waghorn - we’ve got a nice blend.

Liquid Gold

I don't see the logic in another LWB on loan. MR isn't the type to rotate so we're just going to end up with a pissed off player/parent club.

Ideally you want a young prospect there that you own, learning his trade in the 23s but that can step up if needed. I thought Reid was that player but if not then we should loan him out to try and get him up to speed. He was doing well the the SPL last year.

CB is the big concern. We play with a back 3 system and we have 4 players that can do that. 1 injury or suspension and we're shifting the team about.

Dabo should also be counted out of CB, he doesn't look comfortable there but it also detracts from our attacking play when he isn't on the wing.

If he's decided he doesn't like Pask and Drysdale isn't ready then we need another CB.

Liquid Gold

Pace wouldn't have broken down that Reading team yesterday who were 10 behind the ball, what did them was a striker that can find little pockets of space and has great technique.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think Shipleys opportunities will be very limited. Think Eccles will be ahead of him when he's fit

I don't think the two of them are vying for the same spot as Shipley is more attacking.

Eccles will by vying with/filling in for Kelly and over time will probably take his place when Kelly eventually leaves

Shipley is vying more with Allen for a spot in the squad and thus far Allen is doing more to justify a place.

I'd like to see Shipley get a move to a L1 team where he can play regularly. It would be best for both him and the club.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Pask's non-selection is a mystery. I'm not saying he is a long term answer, although he deserves a chance, but I can't see that DaCosta is a lower risk at RWB than Pask. DaCosta looked totally lost yesterday and even the less experienced players were directing him. In the second half he showed a couple of flashes of what he can do going forward which would be OK if we played wingers. But we don't.

I agree, though I'd have had Pask as RCB and Dabo at RWB.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Gyokeres is big, quick and strong for his size and has caused problems in every game he’s played in so far. Even Walker has decent pace, movement and strength for his size.

As for Godden, his movement and the finishing for that goal yesterday is king for a striker.

Pace is overrated. Movement and finishing is way more important and between Gyo, Godden, Walker and Waghorn - we’ve got a nice blend.

Pace by itself isn't enough and does need decent ball control and shooting skills.

Obv if said player can't hit a barn door chances are defences won't be that afraid to let them in behind but to have a pacy option is useful. If an opposition is pushed up and pressing you, having that player who can beat them in a foot race can force them back a bit and relieve the pressure.

Hobo

Can only really see one coming in a LWB. But I wouldn't say no to another CB.

SkyblueTexan

Wonder where Bright is in terms of fitness, confidence, morale etc. When his head is screwed on right, he's could be another useful option.

Speedies_Chips

I think Shipleys opportunities will be very limited. Think Eccles will be ahead of him when he's fit
I don't think Shipley will be getting on the pitch unless we are 4-0 up with 5 minutes to go. Unfortunately he hasn't kicked on enough to make an impact in the Championship. Never seems fit enough to me.

skybluegod

I don't see the logic in another LWB on loan. MR isn't the type to rotate so we're just going to end up with a pissed off player/parent club.

Ideally you want a young prospect there that you own, learning his trade in the 23s but that can step up if needed. I thought Reid was that player but if not then we should loan him out to try and get him up to speed. He was doing well the the SPL last year.

CB is the big concern. We play with a back 3 system and we have 4 players that can do that. 1 injury or suspension and we're shifting the team about.

Dabo should also be counted out of CB, he doesn't look comfortable there but it also detracts from our attacking play when he isn't on the wing.

If he's decided he doesn't like Pask and Drysdale isn't ready then we need another CB.

Drysdale is 21, 22 this year he really does need to be pushing the first team at this point. He's had a season out on loan, he should be at least capable of being backup.

Lwb is a concern as unlike CB we only have 1 senior option who is 2 bookings away from a ban and at his age is likely to suffer a dip in form.

I agree though we don't want another loan primarily for lwb. We need a versatile defender to play across the line but whether that is available is a totally different prospect!

Londonccfcfan

Drysdale is 21, 22 this year he really does need to be pushing the first team at this point. He's had a season out on loan, he should be at least capable of being backup.

Lwb is a concern as unlike CB we only have 1 senior option who is 2 bookings away from a ban and at his age is likely to suffer a dip in form.

I agree though we don't want another loan primarily for lwb. We need a versatile defender to play across the line but whether that is available is a totally different prospect!

Drysdale is not good enough as cover. He needs to move to get his career moving forward.

Mucca Mad Boys

Pace by itself isn't enough and does need decent ball control and shooting skills.

Obv if said player can't hit a barn door chances are defences won't be that afraid to let them in behind but to have a pacy option is useful. If an opposition is pushed up and pressing you, having that player who can beat them in a foot race can force them back a bit and relieve the pressure.

Gyo has done what you described in every game we’ve played so far. He also has the strength to beat those defenders - look at the torrid time Keogh had against him. From where I’m sitting, Gyo, Walker and O’Hare all have decent pace.

‘We need a pacy option’ is just a lazy trope that is recycled every year. We’ve needed it since Robins came in and we’ve secured 2 promotions, the Checkatrade and the only promoted club to survive last year.

stevefloyd

Tell that to Michael Owen

Gibbo

Coaches rate pace very highly, apparently, as a key point of difference. All footballers at this level are skillful (altho sometimes it is hard to believe). But additional pace really counts if you are a young player trying to come through. Or conversely the lack of it. But real speed costs real money.

On the other hand how many players do we know have that have the pace to purely rely on that alone? Not many, and fewer the lower you go down the leagues. Anybody remember Williams in the Gould era - he is about the only one in City colours I remember? Neither Bennett or Hutchinson were that fast.

Speed of thought and good feet are the key measures - it was why Walsh was so good. See also Godden's goal yesterday, which featured both speed of thought and good feet. Not sure O'Hare has the thought thing, or else he would score more goals

But on topic: We need cover on the left. Badly.

CCFCSteve

Rose and JCS weren't in the squad and we were fine. Kelly, Shipley and Howley will bolster the midfield options. We have plenty of forwards and bright as a backup for O'Hare. We have decent squad depth imo

Agree with this. LWB is the one real area of concern. None of the below played a minute yesterday but I think all could do a decent job if required (question mark next to Bright as we’ll have to see which Bright has returned). Just been unlucky with pre/early season injuries

Rose
JCS
Kelly
Eccles
Walker
Bright ?
Jones
Pask - I think if he goes a replacement would come in with wages saved

Usually one or two young lads kick on during the season as well. Finally, Shippers, who I still hope can turn things around, like Allen has, as he should be a useful squad member, however, he did struggle last year so it might just be a step too far

Users who are viewing this thread