So, Reice Charles Cooke... (6 Viewers)

Hadji10

That's not my point Otis. My point is neither are nowhere near good enough but Burge definitely deserves another go after the past month. If you can't see that you're deluded.

Hadji10

Maybe the old adage that it is better to be lucky than good holds true then. One thing is for sure is that Cooke has made 3 bad errors in the last 3 games which have cost us 5 points. The goal we conceded on Saturday was truly woeful, and these dropped points may cost us very dearly come the end of the season. A lot of fans very early convinced themselves that Cooke was much better than Burge, and now seem determined to back their prejudices over the unfolding realities.
Yes Cooke looks the more confident and assured, and undoubtedly generally distributes the ball better, but it is not hard to imagine the reaction if Burge had made those same errors. Not sure either keeper is a long term solution, the jury remains open on both. But team places should be earned not a given, and I'm not sure that Cooke last 3 performances now justifies automatic selection.

100% spot on. City fans have a love in for RCC and I haven't got a clue why. Maybe because he posts his skills up to Twitter?

eastwoodsdustman

That's not my point Otis. My point is neither are nowhere near good enough but Burge definitely deserves another go after the past month. If you can't see that you're deluded.

RCC is the better keeper. The defenders know what he's doing and have confidence in him. They have no confidence in Burge as he is unpredictable. He'll come for some balls and not for others and when that happens, defenders start to try over compensate. That's when mistakes will happen.
I still can't believe the witch hunt for RCC after he was impeded on Saturday. The goal wasn't down to him. Move on.

Hadji10

Saturdays goal wasn't RCC's fault? Are you insane? How can the defence have any confidence in RCC after the last month.

PVA

Burge was making loads of mistakes and wasn't coming off his line half the time to catch crosses.

Because they didn't result in goals, people have seemingly forgotten that and erased them from their memories.

Your argument makes no sense and you're not the only one.

Burge doesn't deserve a place back in the team because he made mistakes that didn't result in a goal. Yet RCC should keep his place despite making mistakes that directly cost goals and points?!

Incredible logic.

Appreciate it's not a priority but, if there's budget available, bring in an experience keeper to see us through to the end of the season. That'll give both Burge and RCC chance to learn and develop.

One thing I would add is that we shouldn't forget that RCC kept us in the game prior to the 93rd minute.

eastwoodsdustman

Saturdays goal wasn't RCC's fault? Are you insane? How can the defence have any confidence in RCC after the last month.

Are you saying that RCC should have come 8-10 yards out off his line at a 45 degree angle to try and take the ball through 3 or 4 players or are you telling me that it was his fault for getting his shirt/arm pulled at the time of the ball coming in? Brilliant!

Hadji10

Come on let's be honest.

1) It's not even clear if it's a foul, and even if it is he's hardly touched him.

2) Even if it is a foul what kind of attempt is that with his right palm? Abysmal goalkeeping just punch it.

lewys33

Come on let's be honest.

1) It's not even clear if it's a foul, and even if it is he's hardly touched him.

2) Even if it is a foul what kind of attempt is that with his right palm? Abysmal goalkeeping just punch it.

you ok hun?

Otis

What is deluded is to put back in a keeper that was making more mistakes than the one we have in now, surely?

Burge was nervy, very poor on crosses and his distribution wasn't good. We replaced him with a more confident keeper, who was confident on crosses and whose distribution was much better too.

Yes RCC has made mistakes, but why would we now want to go back to the previous keeper who was making more mistakes than the one we have in now and was also giving the back four the jitters?

That is what I call deluded.

Last edited:

Otis

Your argument makes no sense and you're not the only one.

Burge doesn't deserve a place back in the team because he made mistakes that didn't result in a goal. Yet RCC should keep his place despite making mistakes that directly cost goals and points?!

Incredible logic.
Perfectly reasonable logic.

So you think a keeper who keeps making mistakes is going to keep getting away with it?

Just because the defence got him out of jail, or the opposition strikers failed to take advantage of his mistakes is absolutely no reason to bring Burge back in.

Hadji10

Don't even know where to begin with that Otis, RCC's distribution isn't even that good. How many times has he played us into the shit? On Saturday he was just chipping it straight into the middle of the park to there players in the second half.

Burge was dropped because he was ill, he never made a single mistake that contributed to a goal. RCC has cost us 3 goals in the last 3 weeks, all 3 were horrendous errors and much worse than the ones Burge ever made.

RCC is crap.

Otis

Fine if the answer is to bring in an experienced keeper, but going back to Burge would be a retrograde step surely.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Hadji10

RCC should not keep his place in the team though. So Burge is the only option. He's woefully underperformed and he's single handidly cost us points in the last 3 games. It's only fair Burge is given another go when in all honesty, other than the Burton game he done not a lot wrong.

Otis

RCC should not keep his place in the team though. So Burge is the only option. He's woefully underperformed and he's single handidly cost us points in the last 3 games. It's only fair Burge is given another go when in all honesty, other than the Burton game he done not a lot wrong.
Really? Think most people will disagree with you unfortunately. Burge was a very jittery nervy keeper who showed little command of his area.

I know he's the only other keeper and I know RCC has cost us points, but our back four has looked more solid with RCC behind the sticks. Bringing back a keeper the back four seemed anxious about I don't believe is the answer.

Hadji10

What else has he done wrong then? I genuinely have forgot. Do you think the back four will still trust RCC? Because I don't.

Otis

What else has he done wrong then? I genuinely have forgot. Do you think the back four will still trust RCC? Because I don't.

Not for the mistakes he has been making, no, but yes in terms of his general command of his area.

lewys33

Don't even know where to begin with that Otis, RCC's distribution isn't even that good. How many times has he played us into the shit? On Saturday he was just chipping it straight into the middle of the park to there players in the second half.

Burge was dropped because he was ill, he never made a single mistake that contributed to a goal. RCC has cost us 3 goals in the last 3 weeks, all 3 were horrendous errors and much worse than the ones Burge ever made.

RCC is crap.

You can't be serious ..............

Otis

RCC is crap.
Sorry, I just cannot carry on debating the point if you think RCC is crap.

He came in the side and we immediately looked a stronger unit, he was catching everything, his command was good and his distribution was excellent.

3 mistakes and suddenly he's crap? Sorry, simply cannot buy that at all.

Saturday he was fouled, though he should have been smarter. A fair bit of blame for that on Saturday needs to be levelled at Haynes too. He seemingly does nothing to jostle the player who has hold of RCC's arm and does nothing to try and muscle him out the way.

RCC still at fault of course. The Fleck one was definitely more Fleck's fault than RCC's, but RCC is still culpable too. The Sheff Utd. one was a glaringly bad error.

RCC had been doing very well up until that point. I just don't buy he's crap all of a sudden after previously doing well.

Burge never looked confident and was very indecisive on crosses. RCC was a breath of fresh air when he came in.

mechaishida

All this to-ing and fro-ing is a bit redundant, until TM either decides to stick with RCC or bench him in favour of a January signing. No way will he drop RCC for Burge, even despite the recent spate of errors.

TM will see beyond the errors and try to correct them in training, because RCC is the overall superior goalie. It's blatantly obvious. Like Otis said, aside from his blunders, he's been a breath of fresh air in terms of his presence and confidence.

Hadji10

I give up. Imagine the reaction if Burge made 3 howlers like that back to back which resulted in us costing points?

mechaishida

I give up. Imagine the reaction if Burge made 3 howlers like that back to back which resulted in us costing points?

Just because he didn't make howlers that led directly to goals, doesn't automatically make Burge a better keeper. Overall talent and skill isn't based like that, is it?

Otis

Just because he didn't make howlers that led directly to goals, doesn't automatically make Burge a better keeper. Overall talent and skill isn't based like that, is it?
Burge was making errors, but they didn't result in goals. The fact they didn't result in goals was not down to any ability on his part.

If a centre half kept making mistakes every week but the keeper kept getting him out of jail, and he looked like he lacked confidence, would you still want him picked? No, course not, we would want him dropped.

This argument about Burge not costing points is ridiculous. He was got out of jail by those around him and by opposition teams not taking advantage.

If Fleck had cleared that ball against Doncaster and no goal had resulted and had Billy Sharp not scored from that missed cross from RCC, would you be saying that was fine and the keeper was doing okay?

A mistake is a mistake. Just because RCC'S were punished, but Burge's weren't, doesn't mean Burge is a better option. Course it doesn't.

Last edited:

lifeskyblue

In my opinion both keepers inexperienced and make mistakes. Those clamouring for burge's head because he dropped crosses particularly v burton and didn't always command his box should now be honest and say RCC has had three poor performances and that those performances have cost us points.
TM and his coaching staff I'm sure will be looking at all their options. What they won't be doing is blindly putting their faith in one keeper and blindly criticising the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mechaishida

Burge was making errors, but they didn't result in goals. The fact they didn't result in goals was not down to any ability on his part.

If a centre half kept making mistakes every week but the keeper kept getting him out of jail, and he looked like he lacked confidence, would you still want him picked? No, course not, we would want him dropped.

This argument about Burge not costing points is ridiculous. He was got out of jail by those around him and by opposition teams not taking advantage.

If Fleck had cleared that ball against Doncaster and no goal had resulted and had Billy Sharp not scored from that missed cross from RCC, would you be saying that was fine and the keeper was doing okay?

A mistake is a mistake. Just because RCC'S were punished, but Burge's weren't, doesn't mean Burge is a better option. Course it doesn't.

*Hands up* You quoted me there instead of Hadji10, you big tit. ;)

Otis

*Hands up* You quoted me there instead of Hadji10, you big tit. ;)
No, was deliberately done. Was using your post as the foundation for mine in validation. The 'you' was him, not you.

It was deliberate. Sorry if it came across as in reply directly to you.

Otis

In my opinion both keepers inexperienced and make mistakes. Those clamouring for burge's head because he dropped crosses particularly v burton and didn't always command his box should now be honest and say RCC has had three poor performances and that those performances have cost us points.
TM and his coaching staff I'm sure will be looking at all their options. What they won't be doing is blindly putting their faith in one keeper and blindly criticising the other.

If they're both not up to the task then bring an experienced keeper in, if one is available. But swapping back Burge for RCC is not the way to go.

Otis

How many more costly errors are we going to allow RCC then?
We need to look for an experienced keeper if that is the scenario.

No use in replacing one failing inexperienced keeper for another inexperienced keeper who was failing previously.

Last edited:

mechaishida

No, was deliberately done. Was using your post as the foundation for mine in validation. The 'you' was him, not you.

It was deliberate. Sorry if it came across as in reply directly to you.

Sorry, my mistake, my head's been fried after 5hrs at a friggin' steam railway surrounded by yodelling kids.

I insist on it being my fault. ;)

Houdi

Sorry, I just cannot carry on debating the point if you think RCC is crap.

He came in the side and we immediately looked a stronger unit, he was catching everything, his command was good and his distribution was excellent.

3 mistakes and suddenly he's crap? Sorry, simply cannot buy that at all.

Saturday he was fouled, though he should have been smarter. A fair bit of blame for that on Saturday needs to be levelled at Haynes too. He seemingly does nothing to jostle the player who has hold of RCC's arm and does nothing to try and muscle him out the way.

RCC still at fault of course. The Fleck one was definitely more Fleck's fault than RCC's, but RCC is still culpable too. The Sheff Utd. one was a glaringly bad error.

RCC had been doing very well up until that point. I just don't buy he's crap all of a sudden after previously doing well.

Burge never looked confident and was very indecisive on crosses. RCC was a breath of fresh air when he came in.

A case of selective amnesia going on here, or are we not counting the fumble for the first goal against Doncaster. Plus of course not all Cooke's mistakes have resulted in goals.Not totally convinced by either keeper, but there is a huge case of double standards here. Burge would have absolutely been crucified if he had made the same mistakes. Players should be judged on what they do, not on people's prejudices and preconceptions.

Otis

A case of selective amnesia going on here, or are we not counting the fumble for the first goal against Doncaster. Plus of course not all Cooke's mistakes have resulted in goals.Not totally convinced by either keeper, but there is a huge case of double standards here. Burge would have absolutely been crucified if he had made the same mistakes. Players should be judged on what they do, not on people's prejudices and preconceptions.

But hasn't RCC got crucified?

Look at the posts after the Sheff Utdl game. he was totally villified for his mistake, which cost us the game. Loads of stick too in the Doncaster game and again after this Saturday.

Why do you think only Burge has been getting crucified? A plyer makes mistakes he gets criticised about it. Same rules applied. I see no bias, prejudice or preconception.

lifeskyblue

I think the difference was that burge was getting lambasted for simply pulling on a CCFC jersey.

Users who are viewing this thread