So, Reice Charles Cooke... (4 Viewers)

rupert_bear

Some of the posts on this thread are complete and utter waffle. Anyone who can't see his arm being tugged needs their eyes testing. Hes a very good YOUNG goalkeeper who will make mistakes. However, yesterday he made no mistakes.

They had done their homework and put every corner on his head and surrounded him, and he dealt with it very well.

For a lad so young and with around 20 games played in his career I think he looks very promising. Try bloody supporting the lad rather than slating him.
Absolutely spot on but you have a crew on here who are adamant we need a new goalkeeper regardless but don't seem to realise they are very costly. RCC is learning and doing okay for me, yesterday was a foul but one for his experience probably won't get caught out like that again

st john

It appears that RCC is being targeted by the opposition as having potential week points. Yes he will learn from it but it could cost us promotion.

Perryccfc

It appears that RCC is being targeted by the opposition as having potential week points. Yes he will learn from it but it could cost us promotion.

No chance on earth that clubs targeting potential weak points in RCC will cost us going up.

If we don't go up, it will be because we don't deserve it. RCC saved us a point at Bradford but that seems to have been forgotten. He will save us more points than he will cost us.

Hobo

How? People saying they couldn't see it I have shown proof of the incident, how is that weakening the case?

First up I haven't seen any replay of it yet....but you said you watched it 10 to 15 times to be sure. That is what weakens your case. Because from what I see in every game I watch, at corners it is 6 grown men on each side having a wrestling match with fouls going on all over the place. So it is time to toughen up and wise up. Defending a corner in the last minute should be bread and butter. That is criticising the whole unit not any one individual.

wingy

Many a ref would have stepped in yesterday as we see on a weekly basis on TV.
This one could have much earlier in the game as it was any obvious tactic from the off.

SkyBlue_Bear83

First up I haven't seen any replay of it yet....but you said you watched it 10 to 15 times to be sure. That is what weakens your case. Because from what I see in every game I watch, at corners it is 6 grown men on each side having a wrestling match with fouls going on all over the place. So it is time to toughen up and wise up. Defending a corner in the last minute should be bread and butter. That is criticising the whole unit not any one individual.

Fair enough I see what you are saying, however that is only because Haynes is blocking the camera view of the full foul. I'm not surprised the ref missed it as it isn't obvious through the crowd of bodies but it wasn't just the usual jostling for position either at set pieces either, this was a much more cynical piece of cheating.

I also agree that we need to toughen up though, if it was Joe Murphy and Johnson defending it rather than Cook and Haynes its a good bet it wouldn't have happened as between them they would have ensured the striker wouldn't have been able to get close enough to make the foul.

Hobo

Fair enough I see what you are saying, however that is only because Haynes is blocking the camera view of the full foul. I'm not surprised the ref missed it as it isn't obvious through the crowd of bodies but it wasn't just the usual jostling for position either at set pieces either, this was a much more cynical piece of cheating.

I also agree that we need to toughen up though, if it was Joe Murphy and Johnson defending it rather than Cook and Haynes its a good bet it wouldn't have happened as between them they would have ensured the striker wouldn't have been able to get close enough to make the foul.

You see it every week attackers trying to block keepers even putting arms round them in a bear hug. Armstrong does it for us.

The first reaction of most keepers is to get their arms up so any tugging pulling is visible to the referee. It smacks of naivety to me from RCC and Haynes.

Some are blaming Phillips for giving away the corner. But that is responsibility for a corner not a goal. A corner is a new period of play, a defendable situation. People have to take responsibility at a set piece, if you switch off you get punished. In fairness we have seen this with Burge and RCC in goal; when I say that I am not saying they are the most responsible. The fault lies with the unit and how individuals react within it. The keeper is often 3rd or 4th in line for the blame (or should be).

wingy

You see it every week attackers trying to block keepers even putting arms round them in a bear hug. Armstrong does it for us.

The first reaction of most keepers is to get their arms up so any tugging pulling is visible to the referee. It smacks of naivety to me from RCC and Haynes.

Some are blaming Phillips for giving away the corner. But that is responsibility for a corner not a goal. A corner is a new period of play, a defendable situation. People have to take responsibility at a set piece, if you switch off you get punished. In fairness we have seen this with Burge and RCC in goal; when I say that I am not saying they are the most responsible. The fault lies with the unit and how individuals react within it. The keeper is often 3rd or 4th in line for the blame (or should be).

Whichever way you look at it there is no guarantee that a changing GK or bringing in a new one will change things.
The main reason we've become more prone to concede is the loss of first choice experienced personnel.
We're still a lot tighter at the back than has been the case for seasons.

Hobo

Whichever way you look at it there is no guarantee that a changing GK or bringing in a new one will change things.
The main reason we've become more prone to concede is the loss of first choice experienced personnel.
We're still a lot tighter at the back than has been the case for seasons.

Agreed, we have young players who are learning. We are not the finished article some believe and promotion is not a given. But we have come along way from last season.

NorthernWisdom

Agreed, we have young players who are learning.

They're also never going to learn if they never get to play.

So, fine... if neither RCC or Burge are seen as The Answer then we need a new keeper.

If, however, they can give us 5 years' service and a decent transfer fee, then... we've got to accept mistakes come with development.

Hobo

So, fine... if neither RCC or Burge are seen as The Answer then we need a new keeper.

If, however, they can give us 5 years' service and a decent transfer fee, then... we've got to accept mistakes come with development.

And it is about development and showing the ability to make progress. The same applies to Maddison, Lameries, Armstrong, Murphy, Kent and Stokes. None are the finished article and there is plenty of football to play. One of the exciting things about this team is we do have headroom to improve and hopefully players who want to succeed.

NorthernWisdom

And it is about development and showing the ability to make progress. The same applies to Maddison, Lameries, Armstrong, Murphy, Kent and Stokes. None are the finished article and there is plenty of football to play. One of the exciting things about this team is we do have headroom to improve and hopefully players who want to succeed.

I'd be harsher on the loanees tbh. It goes with the territory that because they're young their performances will bob up and down, but they absolutely have to be superior/give us something different to what we already have, as they won't be here next season.

That's where it's sometimes frustrating that Kent in particular seems to get in ahead of Lameiras.

letsallsingtogether

Not if it costs us promotion.
Problem is our defence is getting weaker again so you have to rely on your keeper being focused all the time.
I think that RCC has better keeper then Burge he just needs to dominate the area more push the players out of the way to make every ball his own.

PUSB.

Perryccfc

Not if it costs us promotion.
Problem is our defence is getting weaker again so you have to rely on your keeper being focused all the time.
I think that RCC has better keeper then Burge he just needs to dominate the area more push the players out of the way to make every ball his own.

PUSB.

And that will only come with time and patience. You can't expect someone who has played a handful of games to be able to do that already!

letsallsingtogether

And that will only come with time and patience. You can't expect someone who has played a handful of games to be able to do that already!
But he has been training for years they are the basic actions of any goalkeeper, and after all he was at Arsenal and I am sure they would have drummed that into him?

Perryccfc

But he has been training for years they are the basic actions of any goalkeeper, and after all he was at Arsenal and I am sure they would have drummed that into him?

So what about Armstrong missing his chance at the very start of the game? He's been training for years? You truly believe players won't make mistakes after it's been "drummed into them"? Players of all ages make mistakes!!!

sw88

Chief Commentator!
So what about Armstrong missing his chance at the very start of the game? He's been training for years? You truly believe players won't make mistakes after it's been "drummed into them"? Players of all ages make mistakes!!!

He missed that chance because it wasn't a goal scoring opportunity IMO. Should have crossed it and been less greedy. But being a striker, I'm not surprised he got greedy. And I don't think anyone, apart from OBrien ha, would slate him for doing it

Perryccfc

He missed that chance because it wasn't a goal scoring opportunity IMO. Should have crossed it and been less greedy. But being a striker, I'm not surprised he got greedy. And I don't think anyone, apart from OBrien ha, would slate him for doing it

It was a clear goal scoring opportunity

Gazolba

So what about Armstrong missing his chance at the very start of the game? He's been training for years? ... Players of all ages make mistakes!!!

You have inadvertently illustrated why the goal-keeper is the most important player in the team. If a striker makes a mistake or just makes a bad choice, a goal is not scored or a chance is missed. Whereas if a goal keeper does the same, you could well be be 1-0 down. The punishment for a goal-keeper making a mistake is much higher than that for any other player making a mistake with the possible exception of a penalty-taker and we all know how good we are at those.

lifeskyblue

I didn't think it was that good an angle. He should have squared it to JOB a second or two earlier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Astute

You have inadvertently illustrated why the goal-keeper is the most important player in the team. If a striker makes a mistake or just makes a bad choice, a goal is not scored or a chance is missed. Whereas if a goal keeper does the same, you could well be be 1-0 down. The punishment for a goal-keeper making a mistake is much higher than that for any other player making a mistake with the possible exception of a penalty-taker and we all know how good we are at those.

Yet because Burge kept getting away with mistakes some are trying to say he should be given another chance. And these mistakes were when he was not going for most crosses.

Otis

Yet because Burge kept getting away with mistakes some are trying to say he should be given another chance. And these mistakes were when he was not going for most crosses.
The Burge argument doesn't make sense.

We should bring him back in because he made a lot of mistakes, but got away with it and we weren't punished?

Isn't that akin to saying I keep walking across a very busy road and haven't been hit once by a car, therefore it's safe?

letsallsingtogether

Tbf he had a bad game funny no one has a go at him?
That just proves my argument.

ccfc1234

I have held my judgement on our GK situation for a while, but the writing sadly in the short term is now on the wall. Burge is not and will not for the next 2/3 years be championship quality (if ever).

RCC is more promising but is learning the hard way and its costing us vital points that come May could equate to millions if we end up in the play offs? I would keep RCC on the bench and bring in a experienced GK for this level. RCC would still develop in the reserves/U21 and in a season or two's time be our No1.
He will not like this at all, which in a way is great, but for his own good we should not leave him out to dry by continuing to ignore his alarming frailties.

Otis

I have held my judgement on our GK situation for a while, but the writing sadly in the short term is now on the wall. Burge is not and will not for the next 2/3 years be championship quality (if ever).

RCC is more promising but is learning the hard way and its costing us vital points that come May could equate to millions if we end up in the play offs? I would keep RCC on the bench and bring in a experienced GK for this level. RCC would still develop in the reserves/U21 and in a season or two's time be our No1.
He will not like this at all, which in a way is great, but for his own good we should not leave him out to dry by continuing to ignore his alarming frailties.
Not so sure they are alarming frailties.

He was catching crosses with ease before the Sheff Utd. game. He was edgy in that match, but on Saturday he was okay, that corner apart when he was held down. He does need to be stronger though and wise up in such situations.

Don't think too much ironing out is needed. Just to wise up and not dilly dally with the ball when he has it to feet.

His shot stopping is good, his command is good and he had been catching crosses for fun previously.

Not convinced his frailties are alarming to be honest.

Perryccfc

He was catching crosses with ease before the Sheff Utd. game. He was edgy in that match, but on Saturday he was okay, that corner apart when he was held down. He does need to be stronger though and wise up in such situations.

Don't think too much ironing out is needed. Just to wise up and not dilly dally with the ball when he has it to feet.

His shot stopping is good, his command is good and he had been catching crosses for fun previously.

Completely agree

ccfc1234

You are right the progress needed is not huge but he is error prone and has got away with a few already. I dont sadly feel the progress will be quick enough not to harm our points tally and its this need not to drop more silly points that make me wonder if blooding him right now is good for either party. SSadly with GK's its not like you can give them 20 mins at the end of each game your winning!

Perryccfc

You are right the progress needed is not huge but he is error prone and has got away with a few already. I dont sadly feel the progress will be quick enough not to harm our points tally and its this need not to drop more silly points that make me wonder if blooding him right now is good for either party. SSadly with GK's its not like you can give them 20 mins at the end of each game your winning!

So when do you suggest he gets his chance? Championship survival scrap?

Hadji10

How anyone can defend RCC in this instance is beyond me, I don't care if he's having his left arm pulled out of his socket the header is that weak he can literally probably catch it with one hand, at least punch it away. He's slapped at it like that to exaggerate a possible foul (which doesn't look like much anyway). Awful goalkeeping and that's the third goal he's cost us now in 3 games, and I make it 5 points he has single handidly cost us. Burge isn't much better but he never once made a mistake which directly led to a goal. Let's not forget that RCC made errors even during his decent spell, Barnsley at home he played us into the shit about 3 times just before half time and he also done it at home to Gillingham. As someone else has recently pointed out, he's getting far too cocky when in the first place, he was never that good.

lewys33

It is one of them. He was obviously being held but any experienced keeper would have had him batted off in a few seconds.

He is young and will learn, he is still much better than Burge.

Hadji10

I really don't see how RCC is much better than Burge. Charles-Cook has made some horrendous errors the past month, far worse than anything Burge ever did. People seem to have it out for Burge and I'm not sure why, very weird.

Neither are the answer.

lewys33

I really don't see how RCC is much better than Burge. Charles-Cook has made some horrendous errors the past month, far worse than anything Burge ever did. People seem to have it out for Burge and I'm not sure why, very weird.

Neither are the answer.

You must have a short memory, or just erase all the errors that burge made which luckily didn't cost us. Or maybe like others let him off because "he is one of our own". We could probably do with a more experienced keeper but with the choice we have RCC is the best option.

Otis

You must have a short memory, or just erase all the errors that burge made which luckily didn't cost us. Or maybe like others let him off because "he is one of our own". We could probably do with a more experienced keeper but with the choice we have RCC is the best option.
Burge was making loads of mistakes and wasn't coming off his line half the time to catch crosses.

Because they didn't result in goals, people have seemingly forgotten that and erased them from their memories.

Houdi

The Burge argument doesn't make sense.

We should bring him back in because he made a lot of mistakes, but got away with it and we weren't punished?

Isn't that akin to saying I keep walking across a very busy road and haven't been hit once by a car, therefore it's safe?

Maybe the old adage that it is better to be lucky than good holds true then. One thing is for sure is that Cooke has made 3 bad errors in the last 3 games which have cost us 5 points. The goal we conceded on Saturday was truly woeful, and these dropped points may cost us very dearly come the end of the season. A lot of fans very early convinced themselves that Cooke was much better than Burge, and now seem determined to back their prejudices over the unfolding realities.
Yes Cooke looks the more confident and assured, and undoubtedly generally distributes the ball better, but it is not hard to imagine the reaction if Burge had made those same errors. Not sure either keeper is a long term solution, the jury remains open on both. But team places should be earned not a given, and I'm not sure that Cooke last 3 performances now justifies automatic selection.

Users who are viewing this thread