Match Thread Sheffield Wednesday - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 20th Jan (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Given that they have Jesus in their fan base it is all a bit of a shock:

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Argument makes no sense. If it’s the worst thing to you then you aren’t racist and don’t do it. The people doing monkey chants think it’s the same as flicking the Vs it chanting that you’re a c**t.

I think he is suggesting, misguided as he is, that the c***s did what they did not because of a hatred towards another race, but rather a hatred towards KP exacerbated by the fact they were losing a game of football?

Whilst I see what he’s saying, the point where he says ‘it’s not racism per se’ just means anything else in his post is nonsense. Of course it’s racist, you’ve got to be another level of stupid to not realise that saying or doing something that is hurtful, upsetting, insulting to someone else because of their race is racist, regardless of situation, intention or sentiment….

Last edited:

shmmeee

I think he is suggesting, misguided as he is, that the c***s did what they did not because of a hatred towards another race, but rather a hatred towards KP exacerbated by the fact they were losing a game of football?

Whilst I see what he’s saying, the point where he says ‘it’s not racism per se’ just means anything else in his post is nonsense. Of course it’s racist, you’ve got to be another level of stupid to not realise that saying or doing something that is hurtful, upsetting, insulting to someone else because of their race is racist, regardless of intention or sentiment….

No I understand the argument and it’s nonsense on its own terms.

I hate player > I think of the worst thing, In my opinion, to say to a player. If I think that’s racism I’m significantly less likely to say it to him because I think it’s abhorrent.

Those who say it think it’s fair game and no different to calling a player a wanker.

It’s like saying you got racist because you were drunk or tired. That’s not how it works. Anger, beer, etc remove filters, they don’t add random bigotry in that isn’t there already.

torchomatic

Reading through the thread on Owlstalk. The majority rightly condemn the gestures of their fan yesterday, but some trying to excuse it, making out Palmer was asking for it, etc etc.

I'm intelligent enough to know it was an individual and not the SWFC fanbase as a whole. Similar to the helicopter banners last week. As I said in my earlier post, all teams have twats following them. We certainly have our fair share as I see it home and away every game.

Nuskyblue

They made things tough for us in all honesty. As I said, it's not a game I enjoyed.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Yea, I'm sure the pitch had an impact on the game. It became very scrappy. We could have done better in patches too I think. There were a few times they were able to advance 50odd yards unchallenged!

torchomatic

Fuck me.

Attachments

• GETeH2vW8AAI4vh.jpg.370494524aa9d3609b63b987c7f1e5af.jpg
    GETeH2vW8AAI4vh.jpg.370494524aa9d3609b63b987c7f1e5af.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 165

NorthernWisdom

Reading through the thread on Owlstalk. The majority rightly condemn the gestures of their fan yesterday, but some trying to excuse it, making out Palmer was asking for it, etc etc.

I'm intelligent enough to know it was an individual and not the SWFC fanbase as a whole. Similar to the helicopter banners last week. As I said in my earlier post, all teams have twats following them. We certainly have our fair share as I see it home and away every game.
Some of the posts on this board aren't exactly edifying, either. Some of the responses to robbiekeane's 'Lazy' thread were... interesting, for sure and there are plenty of other examples, overt and covert, too.

I'd rather City fans weren't thought racist because of a minority of bigots on this forum, and the same should apply for Sheffield Wednesday. Sometimes the silence about it is... unsettling however.

Frostie

The most disappointing thing for me is I've seen a few comments from Wednesday fans saying that they're not surprised & know who the likely culprits are... Like wtf!? What are they even doing in the stadium in the first place? Has nobody reported them before? Or has the club turned a blind eye?

Let's be clear, it is a very, very small minority, but there have been an awful lot of similar incidents around Wednesday in recent years. The club needs to get a handle on it quickly else I think it's only fair the authorities start looking at points deductions.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

The most disappointing thing for me is I've seen a few comments from Wednesday fans saying that they're not surprised & know who the likely culprits are... Like wtf!? What are they even doing in the stadium in the first place? Has nobody reported them before? Or has the club turned a blind eye?

Let's be clear, it is a very, very small minority, but there have been an awful lot of similar incidents around Wednesday in recent years. The club needs to get a handle on it quickly else I think it's only fair the authorities start looking at points deductions.

is it not too late? how many chances do you give them? shall we just wait and see if it happens again before we do anything?

I’d say it’s a minority, but judging by what, or who has come out the woodwork on social media, fans forums and even their podcast, surely it’s not a ‘small’ one.

If the club, or indeed any of their fans, have turned a blind eye they are complicit and some would argue just as bad.

The club need punishing, if only to send a message that this is entirely unacceptable behaviour and will not be tolerated in any way - there’s no ‘three strikes and you’re out’

Frostie

is it not too late? how many chances do you give them? shall we just wait and see if it happens again before we do anything?

I’d say it’s a minority, but judging by what, or who has come out the woodwork on social media, fans forums and even their podcast, surely it’s not a ‘small’ one.

If the club, or indeed any of their fans, have turned a blind eye they are complicit and some would argue just as bad.

The club need punishing, if only to send a message that this is entirely unacceptable behaviour and will not be tolerated in any way - there’s no ‘three strikes and you’re out’
I agree but the FA don't actually have the power to impose points deductions yet but it has to be the next step. The best they can do at the moment if it's repeated incidents is a partial stadium closure.

hamertime

Wednesday always been one of my favourite away fans. But after today i seen them for what they are, racist pieces of shit.

Happy_Martian

They were very strong at home last season too, don’t think they lost a game. Especially given that they’re mid table over the last 12 games this was a tough fixture. Pity we have to go back again on Friday really

They're more interested in survival than a cup run that would push their resources to the limit. We'll be more interested in our league run as well.

It'll be battle of the B teams on Friday.

MAFF

Also has anyone read the thread on the Wednesday forum? It’s a disgrace. So many of them blaming Palmer for enticing the crowd.

TomRad85

I never minded Sheffield Wednesday, especially compared to their bellend neighbours. Not sure if I have enough hate in my heart to add another team to the list...
Oh go on then, just one more.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

not sure if this has been posted some of the abuse palmer got

Scum - and the chants of get the b**** off the pitch are definitely after the incident, clear as day there….

that’s a whole stand chanting, after they’ve seen him explain to the ref what happened, and it’s pretty clear what he was saying.

Scum, glad they’ll be gone next season

Users who are viewing this thread