Shamima Begum Not Allowed Back. (1 Viewer)

ccfc92

I'm sick of seeing her face in the news.

maxresdefault.jpg

Grendel

I honestly don't know what is best. She clearly has done something, but it's proving it.

Bring her back her and give her life for Treason?

Any crime she committed is in Syria and probably is not possible to prove

Even if you look at the individual over the citizenship issue you can view cases like Patty Hearst who was in the end pardoned I think

The point remains though citizenship is sacred

clint van damme

That is not the point - you can’t remove citizenship - it’s dangerous and not democratic

Didn't she have dual citizenship? In which case one of the countries can remove citizenship.
IMy understanding is it's illegal to leave a person stateless.
I'm glad she has the right to challenge and has been provided with a solicitor, that's what happens in a civilised country. Hopefully the government's actions will be found to be lawful and she becomes some one else's problem. If not we will abide by the courts desicion.

That's what happens in a civilised country.

Grendel

Didn't she have dual citizenship? In which case one of the countries can remove citizenship.
I'm glad she has the right to challenge and has been provided with a solicitor, that's what happens in a civilised country. Hopefully the government's actions will be found to be lawful and she becomes some one else's problem. If not we will abide by the courts desicion.

Number of people stripped of UK citizenship soars by 600% in a year

clint van damme

I'm 100 percent in agreement with you on your comments re: the sanctity of citizenship. Just thought in this particular instance the government had a case.

People need to see the bigger picture, for the laws and rights that help and protect us all to work properly they have to be extended to everyone. Sometimes that means they help undesirable elements.

Edit: so having read that she is eligible for dual citizenship but doesn't have it so she may have a case

Sky Blue Pete

Could give her a cuddle and let her live in your spare room instead?

Could get Ian Huntley round to babysit as well?
No his punishment was appropriate for murdering 2 schoolchildren as an adult. Can you really not see the difference nick?

Sky Blue Pete

I despair at people thinking evil people can be saved and rehabilitated.

There's a difference between repeating what our ancestors did (they used to hang people for stealing a turnip) and dealing with evil people appropriately.
Where have I said that and do you genuinely believe she is evil ??

ccfc92

Where have I said that and do you genuinely believe she is evil ??

Yes. The sob story is, she was a little 15 year old girl, manipulated into going to join ISIS.

In her own words, she saw a severed head within days of arriving and had no emotion to it. Even justifying it by saying it was an enemy of Islam.

It's ironic, your empathy towards her. You'd "turn the other cheek", show compassion. She'd happily see your severed head in a bin as you're a Christian and an enemy of Islam.

(this is purely aimed at hers/ISIS mentality, not all Muslims)

Sky Blue Pete

Yes. The sob story is, she was a little 15 year old girl, manipulated into going to join ISIS.

In her own words, she saw a severed head within days of arriving and had no emotion to it. Even justifying it by saying it was an enemy of Islam.

It's ironic, your empathy towards her. You'd "turn the other cheek", show compassion. She'd happily see your severed head in a bin as you're a Christian and an enemy of Islam.

(this is purely aimed at hers/ISIS mentality, not all Muslims)
It’s not turn the other cheek honestly it’s the rule of law

Sick Boy

I think she was entitled to it.

I can understand the reasons for doing it but she was born and raised in the UK and the country needs to own its problems and not try to pass them off onto others to deal with.

How old was she when she left? This is clearly something that we need to be dealing with ourselves.

shmmeee

I despair at people thinking evil people can be saved and rehabilitated.

There's a difference between repeating what our ancestors did (they used to hang people for stealing a turnip) and dealing with evil people appropriately.

“evil people” are you fucking 12?

Astute

You’re not trying. Please read in order for us to communicate. 15 year olds are treated differently in law.
So the last thing she did wrong was when she was 15?

It is like saying a thief was only 15 when he got caught the first time. He might be 19 now but he was only 15 when he started stealing things.

Sky Blue Pete

How many schoolchildren did Isis murder/rape/enslave?
How many schoolchildren were killed in the British empire over the last 200 years?? You and I aren’t responsible for the civilians killed are we?? Or are we? It’s a fair point that she is vicariously responsible for all of the crimes she supported. I’m not sure it works like that though

Nick

Administrator
How many schoolchildren were killed in the British empire over the last 200 years?? You and I aren’t responsible for the civilians killed are we?? Or are we? It’s a fair point that she is vicariously responsible for all of the crimes she supported. I’m not sure it works like that though
So me being British is the same as somebody who has joined Isis?

Are you being for real?

Sky Blue Pete

So the last thing she did wrong was when she was 15?

It is like saying a thief was only 15 when he got caught the first time. He might be 19 now but he was only 15 when he started stealing things.
It’s not the last thing no. And support of an terrorist organisation is a crime! Do you think at 15 it’s possible to be manipulated by powerful groups and advertising and the promise of riches or validity. Look at the grooming gangs? Being 15 changes how she would be treated within the law for good reason. She should be held accountable for her actions not left to rot. I’d have more time for the arguments against if they were purely about money or a deterrent to others rather than because she’s evil. Is it not enough for you to know she’s lost her husband her 3 children and is in a refugee camp? What would be an appropriate punishment? Is it only state sanctioned murder that would suffice?

Sky Blue Pete

So me being British is the same as somebody who has joined Isis?

Are you being for real?
Gosh debating with this black and white mentality is so so difficult. Can we assume that we are all not insane and we are having a reasonable conversation about ideas? No it’s not the same as being British. Someone was saying she was responsible for all the rapes and murders that isis have committed as she chose to go to Syria to support the caliphate. I’m saying that’s daft and pointing out that if she is responsible for their actions surely our country has to take responsibility for some of the atrocities we’ve committed. I don’t think we are and I don’t think she is responsible for others actions. She is responsible for hers. Do you not agree?

Sky Blue Pete

All this faux rage cause we’ve found a face to be angry at is so depressing. It’s as if all the shit in our own lives can be laid on her and all seems ok with the world. She was manipulated, thought she was right, suffered enormously for her choices and is asking to exercise her right to return to her country of birth. Surely it’s as simple as that. Fair enough to debate her punishment but let’s not dehumanise her even if she has done that to herself. It demeans each of us

clint van damme

I thought the clowns were bad enough on the EU Thread, have taken it to another level on this one

I know you're a Grendel fan boy so read what he says on the matter. He makes perfect sense.
The citizenship issue isn't about protecting her, it's about protecting the rights of us all.
The fact it helps her is unpalatable, but we have to suck it up, it's a price worth paying to live in a civilised society. If you would prefer ad hoc, retributive justice give Begum a ring and ask for directions to the caliphate, I believe it's something ISIS are good at.

SkyBlueDom26

All this faux rage cause we’ve found a face to be angry at is so depressing. It’s as if all the shit in our own lives can be laid on her and all seems ok with the world. She was manipulated, thought she was right, suffered enormously for her choices and is asking to exercise her right to return to her country of birth. Surely it’s as simple as that. Fair enough to debate her punishment but let’s not dehumanise her even if she has done that to herself. It demeans each of us

She doesn't give a shit!!! Did you not see her interview she showed no fucking remorse!!!!!! Stop talking shite

Nick

Administrator

She dehumanised herself the minute she ran away to join ISIS.

Users who are viewing this thread