SCG Meeting Notes - 30.10.13 (1 Viewer)

GaryPendrysEyes

A new stadium isn't going to happen, because it makes no business sense whatsoever. It's just Sisu game plan. And to put it kindly SCG and Cov fans and Cov citizens are just being played.

16,000 is more than sufficient for the vast majority of games. If their were any sell - outs they could increase ticket prices to match revenues. 20,000 is historically too big.
Its a league one ground there is no future for ccfc with a ground this size and no investment return for sisu.

kingharvest

Well you sixfields lot can follow timmy and co to his tiny ground but there will be a lot who won't.

A 12k stadium is a disgrace. It just shows the plans they've got for the club. Decades in league 1 beckons.

Some fans get what they deserve though.

I said i hope we go back to the Ricoh
I have never said any ground will be 12k - nor have i heard it quoted

Nick

Administrator
Its a league one ground there is no future for ccfc with a ground this size and no investment return for sisu.

I would say there is more of a future IF we are getting all of the income from it from football and non football things compared to the deal at the Ricoh as it was.

It really depends on what size it actually is (where did 12k come from) and how easily it can be upgraded?

valiant15

Its unreal that some people will be happy with this, we'll be the laughing stock of the Midlands,i forgot we already are!

I want to see us play back in the premier league one day. If there was a miracle and it happened whilst we were at the Ricoh the place would be full every week. We've been starved of success, the fans would flock back.

A new ground of 12k is ending any kind of return to the bigtime and sealing lower league football forever.

Snozz_is_god

Absolutely right, those at the SGC meeting are just being used as pawns in the game. CCFC has no intention of building a new ground, it's all lies designed to apply pressure on ACL/CCC they've been at it for ages.

The Reverend Skyblue

I would say there is more of a future IF we are getting all of the income from it from football and non football things compared to the deal at the Ricoh as it was.

It really depends on what size it actually is (where did 12k come from) and how easily it can be upgraded?

Nick with a capacity of around 12-16,000 (yes its a guess, but about within what we all think) then the earning potential can't be more than the Ricoh if we are around 100 million in debt,(the debt now and the ground build costs) ,and then renting it from SISU, even if we sell 12000 pies a match surely.

valiant15

If Coventry City harbour dreams of returning to the big time then they need a ground of at least 30k.

We traditionaly have been similar in size to the likes of Leicester/Southampton.

valiant15

Nick with a capacity of around 12-16,000 (yes its a guess, but about within what we all think) then the earning potential can't be more than the Ricoh if we are around 100 million in debt,(the debt now and the ground build costs) ,and then renting it from SISU, even if we sell 12000 pies a match surely.

And to top it off it isn't in Coventry! !

The plastic sky blues lol.

They are talking of a £20m spend on the ground and for that you will get a 10,000 seater.When city hauled them selves out of the lower leagues highfield road held up to 50,000.They took 13,000 to peterborough that is why with big support they could finance the climb up the league. With a 12,000 seater they will not be able to finance anything.

skybluetony176

They are talking of a £20m spend on the ground and for that you will get a 10,000 seater.When city hauled them selves out of the lower leagues highfield road held up to 50,000.They took 13,000 to peterborough that is why with big support they could finance the climb up the league. With a 12,000 seater they will not be able to finance anything.

it doesn't demonstrate ambition does it

Nick

Administrator
If Coventry City harbour dreams of returning to the big time then they need a ground of at least 30k.

We traditionaly have been similar in size to the likes of Leicester/Southampton.

It really depends how extendable though doesn't it? If it is something that can start off small and then grow with additional tiers quite easily then I don't see the issue. At least we would only have a stadium with space we need rather than a huge stadium that is 3/4 empty every week.

Would it make sense for them to build a 35,000 seater stadium at the minute?

RPHunt

Why are they scraping the bottom of the barrel? What do people have against the SCG? I don't get it.

Nick, it is quite simple - the SCG are invitees of SISU and are there to give credibility to SISU saying they consult with fans and to deliver messages to forums like this.

They do not represent the broad cross section of fans and, from what I read here, are too frightened to ask hard questions in case that would jeapordize their chance of getting to sit in the directors' box. Although quite why anyone should sell their soul to sit in the Directors' Box at Northampton is beyond me.

Last edited:

James Smith

Well, what's the Ricoh then? Next to a big Tescos. All new stadiums are the same like new build housing estates.

Think it's Wigan where the stadium is surrounded by superstore size shops and has appalling road access. Don't understand why for such a large newish stadium the infrastructure to get the fans to the game was so neglected. Taxi driver just dumped us at the retail park entrance and said that it was as far as he was prepared to go because of the traffic down the access road to the ground. Hopefully the Plan A stadium won't suffer from this and thought will go into access to the ground.

James Smith

Be careful what you wish for. Acl won't wait forever. As lucas said last night,they'll give sisu until the end of the year then they'll move on.

What about if it's all bollocks from sisu about a new ground and in the meantime the playing arena at the Ricoh is being redeveloped for another use?
I've said/asked this before and the general consensus was that we'd be even more screwed than we are now.

swisstony

Jesus !!!!!!!!
There will be no new ground.
It doesn't make financial sense.
If they do I'll walk to sixfields naked.....
Still won't go in though !!!

hopesprings

It really depends how extendable though doesn't it? If it is something that can start off small and then grow with additional tiers quite easily then I don't see the issue. At least we would only have a stadium with space we need rather than a huge stadium that is 3/4 empty every week.

Would it make sense for them to build a 35,000 seater stadium at the minute?

NO! There again not sure how many times you need to be told that nothing that Sisu have done or are doing makes sense! It makes sense to discuss a return NOW to Ricoh (on a rent) whilst the rest of the negotiations take place.That has been a situation that they could have made happen anytime they wanted in the last 7 months!! Northampton need not have happened and could be undone in 2 or 3 days with a few phone calls by SENSIBLE people!

Big_Ben

As others have said the bit about needing to own the freehold as a tennacy agreement couldn't work because of ACL makes no sense. A change in ownership of the freehold will have no impact on ACL so the implication is they want to purchase both the freehold and ACL which again raises the issue that if it is truly just above increasing revenues why do they need the freehold.

What confuses me here is the assumption that if SISU can manage to buy the freehold, then ACL's long-term management lease will become a big problem, but is this actually so?

If ACL's contract is with the existing freeholder (CCC), and SISU negotiate an unencumbered sale of the freehold, then wouldn't it fall to CCC to sort out the ACL lease?

Why should it automatically pass with the ground when it was an arrangement put in place by CCC to manage the stadium for them?

chiefdave

If ACL's contract is with the existing freeholder (CCC), and SISU negotiate an unencumbered sale of the freehold, then wouldn't it fall to CCC to sort out the ACL lease?

Why should it automatically pass with the ground when it was an arrangement put in place by CCC to manage the stadium for them?

Well CCC own 50% of ACL so they can agree to sell them that part and an agreement was reached with Higgs previously to buy their 50% of ACL so assuming a similar offer was on the table that's not too big of an issue.

Bigger potential problems I can see would be SISU wanting to scrap the deals with Compass, IEC and anyone else involved - would they try to get out of paying any compensation by saying they never made the agreement and / or dissovle ACL and create a new company and also the outstanding loan. Can't see there being anyway CCC will let SISU take over, with their track record, without paying that off.

Steve.B50

Says who? If it's a valid application they have no choice.

Well you sixfields lot can follow timmy and co to his tiny ground but there will be a lot who won't.

A 12k stadium is a disgrace. It just shows the plans they've got for the club. Decades in league 1 beckons.

Some fans get what they deserve though.

Think you will find that a lot of those who go to Sixfields do not want to be there ( a few exceptions), they want to be home at the Ricoh as much as the majority.

shmmeee

Well CCC own 50% of ACL so they can agree to sell them that part and an agreement was reached with Higgs previously to buy their 50% of ACL so assuming a similar offer was on the table that's not too big of an issue.

Bigger potential problems I can see would be SISU wanting to scrap the deals with Compass, IEC and anyone else involved - would they try to get out of paying any compensation by saying they never made the agreement and / or dissovle ACL and create a new company and also the outstanding loan. Can't see there being anyway CCC will let SISU take over, with their track record, without paying that off.

From what I heard they wanted the council to cancel the loan as part of the deal. Let's hope any new talks are serious on both parts. Holding out for £113m is no less ridiculous than asking to be paid £9m to take it off their hands.

@Steve: surely you've not been assimilated by the Borg as well? Did you get a chance to ask/question anything?

Steve.B50

Big turn-out last night including a few new faces. The majority of the meeting was given over to Tim to talk about the on-going situation. I've summarised that below. I had to leave before the end for another appointment. Perhaps Steve or any of the other attendees who are also on here could add anything i missed. We'd moved on to AOB by then so I think i've probably captured the major stuff below. Once the minutes are circulated i'll update you all on anything else that dropped out.

Anyway - to the meeting.

There are 2 plans.

Plan A is to continue pressing ahead to build a new stadium
Plan B is to purchase the freehold of the Ricoh

Plan A
Currently in discussions with 2 other councils and presenting the benefits and economic impact of a multi-purpose stadium. Both those councils instantly see the benefits. The same presentation was made to Martin Reeves and Chris West with regard to the Ricoh and was ignored.

Club want to have a stadium consultation group – made up of fans – who work with the club to ensure new stadium meets wants and needs of fans as much as possible. What is critical is to get the site right. Ideally it will be a large site as the plan is to have the academy next to the stadium. It has to be within 8 miles of Earl Street, although if an absolutely perfect site is found at say 9 miles then he wouldn’t expect the league to block it.

In terms of timescales on what they can tell the fans, once the site is secure then they can go public. Hopefully that will put some fans minds at ease. It was made clear by a few members of the group that until something clear and concrete is in place and announced, fans will continue to be sceptical.

It could take 2 years to get planning permission (COULD!) but only 12 months to build. The build could be about £20m, plus £5m for the land, plus a contingency because construction is nearly always over budget.

Plan B
Ann Lucas will consider selling the freehold to Otium. A tenancy agreement just wouldn’t work because of the agreement CCC have with ACL.

Given the recent developments this is as close as we’ve been so far to negotiating a deal on the freehold. Still tough as CCC usual policy is not to sell freeholds. IF it can be done, great, but we continue with Plan A until then.

Tim expects Joy and Ann to meet within next two weeks and Joy is clear, if the freehold is for sale, she will buy it.

In terms of how it would work, there would be a prop-co and an op-co, which is normal. For example, at Sheffield United The new owner owns the Op-co, and Kevin McCabe (???) owns the Prop-co, but the new owner has option to buy the Prop-co.

Tim was clear though, all revenues, both matchday and non-match day would go to CCFC.

He thinks too much has gone on in public. He thinks now is the time to stop that, and if a deal is there to be done to do it in private – not in the papers.

Short –Term Deal.
A 3 year run-off was proposed to ACL and they dismissed it. This is a company who forced the club into administration, then rejected the CVA costing the club 10 points – so it’s difficult to do business with someone who did that to the club.

Players
Calumn Wilson, Connor Thomas and Cyrus Christie are all in discussion on new deals. Hope to secure all of them.
Steven Pressley is still on 1 in 1 out rule. You’re allowed to do that a limited number of times and we essentially have 4 ‘credits’ left, although Pressley will only do it if it’s right. He’s happy at the moment.

With regard to players leaving in January, the club don’t need to sell. The value of promotion is at least £5m. So unless something silly comes in the club would rather take the risk of getting promotion, than letting someone go for not very much.

Academy
Higgs agreement is nearly done to get back to the Higgs. Hopefully sorted in the next 2 weeks.

Other
Tickets and Retail has been combined – this might be old news – and Stacey will now lead on SCG. They are about to open the new superstore at Gallagher Retail which will increase footfall. Some staff will work from there and they will have players visiting, sell tickets, etc.

I would add that he did confirm that if they ever did own the Ricoh or built a new stadium that it would be in a separate SISU company to CCFC.

Steve.B50

@Steve: Did you get a chance to ask/question anything?[/QUOTE]

No, am sure you know how it works, anything awkward gets dragged out and conversation is changed so we are discussing the weather.

Steve.B50

From what I heard they wanted the council to cancel the loan as part of the deal. Let's hope any new talks are serious on both parts. Holding out for £113m is no less ridiculous than asking to be paid £9m to take it off their hands.

@Steve: surely you've not been assimilated by the Borg as well? Did you get a chance to ask/question anything?

Was he asked about club debt, or the situation should Sisu sell up?

That was not brought up in the meeting, he discussed how things worked at Charlton and then something about the set up at Sheffield Utd.

italiahorse

Really? So you have evidence we are building a new 12,000 seater stadium? Sensational news. Please tell us where this will be?

TF said "like Rotherham" and yesterday said it will cost £20M
Rotherham is a 12,000 seater that cost £20M (Familiar?)
TF said it will be expanded as necessary.
Rotherhams can be expand in steps to 16,000 then 20,000.

You make an educated guess !!

kingharvest

It kind of annoys me that some people on here think those on the SCG are so naive.

I have only ever reported what was said in the meeting and left you all to discuss it and form opinions. I have an opinion which is probably the same as most that a stadium won't be built and that the only real solution is to be back at the Ricoh.

That said everyone thought they were bluffing with Northampton so I'm careful not to underestimate.

I don't think we are used as pawns - we should be there to talk about things we can actually influence but at the moment we can't possibly talk about anything other than the mess we find ourselves in.

People do challenge and question in the meetings and I think Steve does himself a disservice as he is excellent at pushing Tim Fisher on difficult topics.

At the moment, the SCG are one of the only lines of communication into the club from the fans and we only have a limited amount of time at meetings. We'll ask questions and can only report what were told.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

TF said "like Rotherham" and yesterday said it will cost £20M
Rotherham is a 12,000 seater that cost £20M (Familiar?)
TF said it will be expanded as necessary.
Rotherhams can be expand in steps to 16,000 then 20,000.

You make an educated guess !!

Tim Fisher said:
Around 18,000, and I will argue that 18,000 is enough. Then if things go well over time, it grows.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread