Running (5 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Got 4.5 miles in before my nightshift

CrawleySkyBlue

6x 1km this evening with 2:30 rest periods of slow jogging:
3:32, 3:31, 3:34, 3:28, 3:27, 3:24
Seemed to get stronger as the session went on. Lovely run

Ccfcisparks

Back running 2 weeks ago after breaking my ankle, but suffering really badly from Shin splints at the moment. Never had it before. Tried shin scraping that was suggested online, but in a bit of pain today. Anyone know any good tips for recovering from shin splints

Adge

Back running 2 weeks ago after breaking my ankle, but suffering really badly from Shin splints at the moment. Never had it before. Tried shin scraping that was suggested online, but in a bit of pain today. Anyone know any good tips for recovering from shin splints
Yep-don’t run!

Travs

Unfortunately rest (or at least a severe reduction in mileage and intensity) is the only sure way to resolve it.

Travs

6x 1km this evening with 2:30 rest periods of slow jogging:
3:32, 3:31, 3:34, 3:28, 3:27, 3:24
Seemed to get stronger as the session went on. Lovely run

That is a decent session.... i'm hitting similar times for km reps (generally 3:23-3:30)..... although our sessions are slightly different, having 90secs static rest, and usually only 5 reps.

Last edited:

Travs

Club night.... 3 x 1 mile, with 2 minute rests.

5:54
5:51
5:48

Its quite amazing how much your perception of performance varies in your own head... have not felt on form particularly on the flat lately, and felt a bit stiff and laboured last night.

Yet compare to last time i did this session, when i felt like i was "flying"...

5:51
5:48
5:46

Only 3 seconds a mile!!

Yorkshire Three Peaks fell race on saturday.... as fell races go, its not one i'm particularly relishing... a lot of flat "trail running" and road sections between the climbs and descents.... but the sense of history and occasion of this race makes it one that has to be done.

CrawleySkyBlue

That is a decent session.... i'm hitting similar times for km reps (generally 3:23-3:30)..... although our sessions are slightly different, having 90secs static rest, and usually only 5 reps.
Going to decrease the rest period as I get out running more often. Weekly mileage still way down on where I was this time last year unfortunately.
How do you find the static rest period versus a slow jog?

Travs

Going to decrease the rest period as I get out running more often. Weekly mileage still way down on where I was this time last year unfortunately.
How do you find the static rest period versus a slow jog?

I think its personal preference. A lot of high quality athletes and coaches maintain that the rest should be a jog.

I prefer static rest, although admittedly i usually pace around to stay "loose".

Its amazing the difference between say 1 minute and 2 minute rest periods.... if you're fit a 2 minute rest period pretty much allows full recovery and you can bang the reps out hard. With one minute its much more of a test on endurance and being able to pace those early reps properly. On a 400mtr track session i'd knock out the reps in well under 80secs with two minute rests. But with one minute i'd be much more cautious and probably start off around 84secs.

Last edited:

robbiekeane

What’s everyone have to track their runs?
I have a garmin 645 music and it’s been dog shit ever since I bought it. Don’t even use the music function on it anymore because it’s terrible, and every 3 or 4 runs it fucks one up with a big hockey stick flying off the route where I clearly didn’t run anywhere near.

Absolute shite and I paid loads for it in 2020.

CrawleySkyBlue

I think its personal preference. A lot of high quality athletes and coaches maintain that the rest should be a jog.

I prefer static rest, although admittedly i usually pace around to stay "loose".

Its amazing the difference between say 1 minute and 2 minute rest periods.... if you're fit a 2 minute rest period pretty much allows full recovery and you can bang the reps out hard. With one minute its much more of a test on endurance and being able to pace those early reps properly. On a 400mtr track session i'd knock out the reps in well under 80secs with two minute rests. But with one minute i'd be much more cautious and probably start off around 84secs.

Agreed on the rest periods. Confidence building at the moment, so using the bigger rest period to help

I have a garmin 645 music and it’s been dog shit ever since I bought it. Don’t even use the music function on it anymore because it’s terrible, and every 3 or 4 runs it fucks one up with a big hockey stick flying off the route where I clearly didn’t run anywhere near.

Garmin forerunner 245 music. No issues here

Travs

Use a Suunto Ambit Run (i think.... it was given to me free 2nd hand) to measure my distances running.

But record everything on good old pen & paper.

robbiekeane

I'm shit at running but getting into it for a sponsorship thing ( Sponsorship for Samaritans (Money Please) )

Whenever I try road running my knees and lower back hurt, can anybody recommend what trainers and any particular supports that might help with the impact? -
Hate to give you the boring textbook answer mate but get yourself to an independent running shop and ask them that exact question. They will assess your feet, your gait, and tell you what’s best for you.

Aside from that, I also used to get a huge amount of back pain because it turns out I have really really inflexible hip flexors and hip mobility probably through years of never having to stretch etc.

Genuinely recommend some real beginners yoga AND doing a proper 5 minute stretch before your runs. Try the peloton app free trial for both beginner yoga and amazing pre and post run stretches

Nick

Administrator
Hate to give you the boring textbook answer mate but get yourself to an independent running shop and ask them that exact question. They will assess your feet, your gait, and tell you what’s best for you.

Aside from that, I also used to get a huge amount of back pain because it turns out I have really really inflexible hip flexors and hip mobility probably through years of never having to stretch etc.

Genuinely recommend some real beginners yoga AND doing a proper 5 minute stretch before your runs. Try the peloton app free trial for both beginner yoga and amazing pre and post run stretches

Thanks, I went to one years ago that I won't name but I reckon I will book in and go again.

Obviously trying to lose weight at the same time so that has an impact.

robbiekeane

Thanks, I went to one years ago that I won't name but I reckon I will book in and go again.

Obviously trying to lose weight at the same time so that has an impact.
Also, it’s fucking miserable first two or three weeks. Feels like no improvement and you hate every second of it and you feel shit at it. Then all of a sudden you see the improvement and you get the bug. Simple as that.

Do the stretches/yoga!!! Trust me

Nick

Administrator
Also, it’s fucking miserable first two or three weeks. Feels like no improvement and you hate every second of it and you feel shit at it. Then all of a sudden you see the improvement and you get the bug. Simple as that.

Do the stretches/yoga!!! Trust me

It's not ALL going to be road running but some of my mates are pricks and won't sponsor me. Some will be treadmill too.

I hate running though so it's why I'm doing it, would be pointless if I was doing something I loved.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I got another 4.5 miles in just can’t get the motivation to go further at the minute

Travs

Raced the Yorkshire Three Peaks fell race on saturday... its a very well-known fell walk/hike, and a very popular charity event (as much so as the National Three Peaks)

For a fell race, there's an awful lot of fast flat running and some decent sections of road... i'd heard many horror-stories of people going way too hard during the first half of the race, and paying for it on the two brutal climbs in the last couple of hours... so took it very steady up to Ribblehead Viaduct....

Then picked it up from halfway... over the 40 minute climb up Whernside i regained 30 of the 31 places i'd lost on the preceeding flat section... Picked up around another 20 places going up to Ingleborough, but then duly lost about 10 of those on the final 45 minute descent back to the finish as i tried to stave off the onset of cramp.

4hrs08, 107th overall, 32nd v40

Next up.... a track 3000mtrs in the Warks Champs at Pingles, then opening my account in the English Fell Champs (my main target for the year).

Sky_Blue_Daz

Did the swan challenge at Coombe abbey this morning , did 2 laps which equates to just over 6 miles furthest I’ve done since December

SBAndy

First ever road run. 5 miles in bang on an hour.

Issues pacing myself was I was leathering it, walking, then going fast again.

May need a knee support

That’s not bad for a first effort. Travs puts a lot of emphasis on running more slowly and for longer distances, concentrating less on pace. Helped me - hell, I couldn’t run round the block (just under a mile) without stopping 2 years ago. As you do more of it you’ll start to understand your pacing more.

Sick Boy

First ever road run. 5 miles in bang on an hour.

Issues pacing myself was I was leathering it, walking, then going fast again.

May need a knee support
You’re better off taking your time and building your stamina up, otherwise you’re risking an injury.

Travs

I've been suffering a massive hangover of the legs since racing the Yorkshire Three Peaks a fortnight ago.

Had to miss club training this week as there was just no way i could contemplate any form of hard session.

Although i did do a moderately tough treadmill session yesterday... 10 x (1.5mins hard, 2.5mins easy)

Not a problem if needing to recover from a race.... the big issue though is i've got a 3000mtr track race at Pingles tomorrow afternoon, and not done any preparation or specific work for it! Will be a decent race as its the Warks County Champs, and to make things fiercer, about 8 of the 17 runners will be my Godiva teammates!

I won't go down without a fight in any race (and particularly when club pride is at stake!)... but looking at the entry list i'm probably in the slowest three or four runners in terms of pb.... and i'm not anywhere near pb form anyway.... could be a tough afternoon.... quite frankly if someone offered me a time of under 11mins now i'd take it...!

robbiekeane

On 10.2 miles for the week and about to go out on a 5 miler.
Training for my first “official” half which is end of July.
Two short runs and a long run per week. This week if first time the long run gets longer!

Travs

3000mtrs track today at Pingles.

10:52.... 4th out of 7 Godiva runners. Think was 11th out of 15 overall.

Happy to go under 11mins, and finish in a higher than expected position, especially given the weather.... it was very unpleasant racing conditions!

Travs

Joined a different training group within Coventry Godiva, in an attempt to push on a bit...

Have gone from being one of the youngest (and quickest) in my group, to now being the oldest by a long way, and very much at the slower end, of the new group.

First session was on tuesday in the pouring rain on the grass at Warwick Uni...

5 x 1 minute
1 x 3 minutes
5 x 1 minute
5 x 60mtrs

This weekend opening my account in the English Fell Champs, attempting to pick up vet40 championship points (which will require a finishing position in the top 40)... i would say i'm very much on the borderline for picking up champs points, depending on how the individual race suits me.... must admit looking at the stacked entry list, i'll be absolutely ecstatic if i do sneak some points at this one...

Then on sunday i've got the misfortune to be running the steeplechase in the Midland Track League for Godiva....

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Daz

Doing Bedworth park run next week , anyone else done it ?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Anyone ever suffered from Achilles injury from running. ? I've been building up to a 10k over the last 3 months by running three times a week. I'd built up to 4 miles but then decided to just see far I could go about 3 weeks ago one Sunday. Did 7 miles and was absolutely chuffed with it but ever since my Achilles has been really sore. I managed about 1 mile a week ago and had to stop. It's now hurting just walking on it.
Is it a case of stopping completely. A mate of mine reckons these take a long time to heal.

Travs

Doing Bedworth park run next week , anyone else done it ?

Yes its a lot quieter than the Cov one.... perhaps 150-200people instead of 5-600.... although being three laps instead of two, you still get similar issues if you're lapping people.

There's a trail section on the two larger laps... down a grassy path and then through some trees, and a steep little climb back up... so unless you're very strong on hills then its probably not a "pb" course.

Overall i find it preferable to Coventry though.

Travs

Anyone ever suffered from Achilles injury from running. ? I've been building up to a 10k over the last 3 months by running three times a week. I'd built up to 4 miles but then decided to just see far I could go about 3 weeks ago one Sunday. Did 7 miles and was absolutely chuffed with it but ever since my Achilles has been really sore. I managed about 1 mile a week ago and had to stop. It's now hurting just walking on it.
Is it a case of stopping completely. A mate of mine reckons these take a long time to heal.

Best advice is to see a sports physio...

Unfortunately in my experience yes some form of rest is needed. When i really suffered with it, i was able to continue training by minimising running, and switching to cycling and cross-trainer.

A physio will advise best, but prevention is the best method... plenty of stretching the achilles... a google search will bring up one or two very good stretches.

Users who are viewing this thread