Running (3 Viewers)

Travs

All i could really recommend is take an easier week with perhaps two or three slow runs, give your body a bit of a break.

See if that works.

SkyBlueSoul

It's looking like the enforced 5 month break did my legs the world of good, 5k in 4:33/km yesterday. Was generally running 4:50-5:00/km before I got crocked. Either my fitness has come back quickly or the sheer joy of being back is pushing me through

Travs

Went over to Warwick Racecourse this morning for a bash at the Parkrun, after not feeling sufficiently fresh to do any club sessions this week.

18:59 in pretty windy conditions.

To be honest i'd hoped for a little better, but was my fastest time at Warwick by a good margin, and indeed quickest parkrun time anywhere for nearly a year, so quite pleasing.

Certainly capable of better, after recording 10:35 for 3km on the track a couple of weeks back... should be able to give 18mins a run for its money, but might have to be a track attempt to reach that kind of time.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I'm in Mallorca at the moment and have managed to get out for a run this morning, so that's 3 in the last 10 days. Only been two or three kilometers which is a bit pony, but I am pretty pleased with myself. I already have a gym here so do weight training most days, but the cardio side has been really in need of some progression.

Apart from these niggling shin splints I feel fucking great this morning now.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Did a 6.5 mile run on Monday doing another this evening

Travs

Fell race yesterday on the "quiet" part of the Brecon Beacons, well away from the busy area of Pen Y Fan.

Took a big gamble and tried to attack the pre-race favourite from the start, thinking my only chance to beat him would be to stick on him for the first hour and hope he blows up before me in the heat!

Went fairly predictably really, he reached the first summit 90secs before me, and stretched the gap to 2 and a half minutes at the 2nd summit (roughly halfway)..... then on the real tough 2nd half of the course he pulled away as i suffered for my early pace...

3rd place was getting dangerously close to me on the huge final climb, but thankfully the top came and was able to redeem myself on the way down to the finish with joint-fastest descent of the day, and hold on to 2nd (1st v40).

Today i had a little jog round spectating the Northbrook 10km, again in tough conditions. Well done anyone on here who ran today (Rich?)

Rich

Fell race yesterday on the "quiet" part of the Brecon Beacons, well away from the busy area of Pen Y Fan.

Took a big gamble and tried to attack the pre-race favourite from the start, thinking my only chance to beat him would be to stick on him for the first hour and hope he blows up before me in the heat!

Went fairly predictably really, he reached the first summit 90secs before me, and stretched the gap to 2 and a half minutes at the 2nd summit (roughly halfway)..... then on the real tough 2nd half of the course he pulled away as i suffered for my early pace...

3rd place was getting dangerously close to me on the huge final climb, but thankfully the top came and was able to redeem myself on the way down to the finish with joint-fastest descent of the day, and hold on to 2nd (1st v40).

Today i had a little jog round spectating the Northbrook 10km, again in tough conditions. Well done anyone on here who ran today (Rich?)
Couldn’t make it today for what would’ve been my first Northbrook 10k. Sad to have missed it but that heat wow.

Sick Boy

Couldn’t make it today for what would’ve been my first Northbrook 10k. Sad to have missed it but that heat wow.
I tend to run around 5-7am and it's usually in the lower 20s by then - most people seem to run late afternoon when it's around 35-38c - no idea how they manage it.

Travs

10 miles yesterday in 1hr24. Ready for half marathon in two weeks I think. Tapering from now

Obviously i don't know anything about your training history, so please feel free to ignore this comment.... but two weeks is an absolutely massive taper!!

robbiekeane

Obviously i don't know anything about your training history, so please feel free to ignore this comment.... but two weeks is an absolutely massive taper!!
You reckon? Only going by runners world, marathon handbook, and actually on second glance every site on the first page of a google search lol

Attachments

• 3FC7DF0B-BF9A-412C-A7E6-295314E9D9F4.png
    3FC7DF0B-BF9A-412C-A7E6-295314E9D9F4.png
    554.1 KB · Views: 12
  • D1BBBF0C-1CFA-4F7A-A5D1-5BDE1851884B.jpeg
    D1BBBF0C-1CFA-4F7A-A5D1-5BDE1851884B.jpeg
    297.3 KB · Views: 14
  • CB47FFAE-F5FB-4F4F-830A-8FA6D7C1459A.png
    CB47FFAE-F5FB-4F4F-830A-8FA6D7C1459A.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • B693C9A4-F15B-4231-BF74-AC2AEAFA847C.png
    B693C9A4-F15B-4231-BF74-AC2AEAFA847C.png
    541.8 KB · Views: 11

Travs

Well its just opinion...

Personally my mileage won't decrease during a taper, but i'll drop out the intense training a few days early, and replace with easy runs, then the day before perhaps do something like 3-5 miles very easy.

Its very personal... a lot of my clubmates also find they get too "lethargic" and "stale" off an extended taper.

On a slight tangent.... i've been doing a lot of track races, and when i've got an afternoon race, i've been experimenting with a very short morning run, 2--3 miles, very slow, but with a handful of 20-30sec relaxed sprints thrown in, to warm the legs up for the day.

Last edited:

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

I'm in Mallorca at the moment and have managed to get out for a run this morning, so that's 3 in the last 10 days. Only been two or three kilometers which is a bit pony, but I am pretty pleased with myself. I already have a gym here so do weight training most days, but the cardio side has been really in need of some progression.

I had shin splints and resting didn't seem to be sorting them for any prolonged period, i then went to a physio who gave me a massage and acupuncture and it was sorted after 2 visits. Might be worth a go if you can't shift them.

Travs

I had shin splints and resting didn't seem to be sorting them for any prolonged period, i then went to a physio who gave me a massage and acupuncture and it was sorted after 2 visits. Might be worth a go if you can't shift them.

This is interesting....

I've got what i think is very mild shin splints at the moment, and have an appointment booked to look at it next week.

However i've also got some mild bursitis in my elbow and have been prescribed anti-infammatories... which have had the secondary effect of making any pain in my shins subside...

Nice to know that even without symptons the physio can possibly do something about my shin with massage etc.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

This is interesting....

I've got what i think is very mild shin splints at the moment, and have an appointment booked to look at it next week.

However i've also got some mild bursitis in my elbow and have been prescribed anti-infammatories... which have had the secondary effect of making any pain in my shins subside...

Nice to know that even without symptons the physio can possibly do something about my shin with massage etc.

I was really quite surprised by how effective the two sessions were, it wasn't going away properly after periods of rest (say a week or two weeks of no running). I can't say if it was the massage or acupuncture that fixed it (or if you need both) but it really did work. It was the physio on Barker Butts Lane in case of interest to anyone.

Travs

Busy week... tuesday was a grass session,
1 x 3mins
2 x 2mins
3 x 1 mins
5 x 60mtrs

Thursday was track session...
5 x 200mtrs
1 x 500mtrs
5 x 200mtrs

Tomorrow is the Midlands Track League over at Telford, where i have the misfortune to be running in both the 2000mtr Steeplechase and the 5000mtrs (although the 5km is possibly going to be reduced to 3km if it is as hot as expected).

Sick Boy

I used to lift weights around 4-5 times a week but since taking up running i much prefer it and have stopped lifting so often. It’s great for clearing the mental and helping with the old mental health.
The post-run buzz is something else too.

robbiekeane

Where are you doing your half?

I’m signed up for Solihull in August, but I’m not sure if I’m going to bother with it.
Melbourne mate, looking forward to it. Supposed to be a pretty flat route.

Attachments

• 20A86E4B-63AE-49F1-AFA9-4E7A47301647.jpeg
    20A86E4B-63AE-49F1-AFA9-4E7A47301647.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 11

Travs

Track League yesterday on a very warm afternoon in Telford...

First up for me was the 2km steeplechase, which i negotiated in a pb of 7:57.... not without its hairy moments though... i'd made an absolute hash on the barrier in the warmup which somewhat dented confidence, and although i got over all barriers safely, it was a close run thing... will probably call time on my steeplechase career now and let somebody else step up for the club.

A couple of hours later was the 3000mtrs. Managed 11:20 which isn't bad in the heat and 2nd race of the day... but it was slow... ran 45secs quicker just four weeks ago on fresh legs.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Not a patch on some of you lot but after watching the Women's match I went out the door and did a quick 3k. Felt very good and I can definitely feel myself getting fitter over the last two weeks now. Would have gone for longer but didn't want to agitate the shin splints. Can feel it a little bit but hopefully be fine by tomorrow.

Feel absolutely buzzing now as well.

robbiekeane

Not a patch on some of you lot but after watching the Women's match I went out the door and did a quick 3k. Felt very good and I can definitely feel myself getting fitter over the last two weeks now. Would have gone for longer but didn't want to agitate the shin splints. Can feel it a little bit but hopefully be fine by tomorrow.

Feel absolutely buzzing now as well.
If you sit on your knees and try and sit back onto your heels (with your toes pointed) it’s a really good way to “stretch” the muscles running up your shins. I had terrible shin splints from 5 a side but that helped a lot

robbiekeane

Half marathon today in 1 hr 53.

Not what I wanted…was trying for 1hr 45 which is my record but honestly, I had a terrible cold all weekend (not covid) with a cough and needed a poo after 30 minutes and the toilets were very few and far between and poorly signposted. Found one at 10k lol and definitely cost me 3 minutes.

Body is fucked I forgot how hard it hits you, had to go for a 2 hour nap and I can’t stop eating!

TomS91

I’m a few weeks in to marathon training for London first weekend in October. First 6 weeks have been disrupted with Covid and a dodgy knee so I feel quite behind. Got an 18k long run in yday though which was painful but hopefully will do me some good.

Travs

I ran in the English Fell Champs yesterday in the Northern Lake District. Was comfortably in the points positions (top 40 v40's) for most of the race, but fell apart spectacularly in the final hour. And crashed completely on the final descent and down the final mile of road back to the finish, dropping 10 places and ending up 45th v40.

Was a very tough race, 4hrs48. That's possibly my chances of champs points over for the year.... got the next round in three weeks in the Peak District, but its a "short" race and i'll really have my work cut out there to make the points.... but will be training specifically for it from now, so will go into it well prepared.

Sky_Blue_Daz

On nightshifts for the rest of week so did a 6 mile run Today and plan another Friday morning

Users who are viewing this thread