Running (2 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Had a lovely run this afternoon 4.55 miles in 49 mins . I’m not bothered about the The daughter starts her Alevels tomorrow and my wife’s been on nights so just glad to be out of the house

Travs

Tough weekend.

Ran in English Fell Champs at Tebay on saturday.... had a good run by my standards, finishing well ahead of people i wouldn't usually expect, including one or two who i can't usually beat in the cross-country leagues.... yet could still only manage 50th, 10 places and 4 minutes off a point-scoring position.

Then sunday ran the 2km steeplechase at Godiva track in the Midlands League. As soon as i tried to accelerate away from the first water-jump i realised how fatigued i was from saturday, and had to settle for a steady run in 8:22 (although mainly i was just happy to still be able to get over all the hurdles without a) using my hands and b) hospitalising myself.

Next saturday is the famous Welsh 1000 Metres Fell Race, starting at the north coast and taking in all summits above 1000 metres, finishing on Snowdon summit.... actually i'm doing the "short race" this year which is only about 12 miles, starting at the A5 and traversing the Glyder range before going up Snowdon.... hoping for a good result here... with only one major descent on the race and two huge climbs, i'm hoping to play to my strengths as a climber.

TomS91

Ran the Hackney Half yesterday. Brilliant event but a disappointing time for me. Signed up 3 weeks before so didn't get enough chance to train properly. Gearing up for London Marathon training which I'll start in about 3 weeks.

Rich

Ran a 23:37 at Kingsbury on Saturday. That’s my second fastest parkrun so I’m pretty happy with that given the weight I’m carrying.

Travs

Raced the Welsh 1000 Metre Peaks race in Snowdonia on saturday.... this starts at the sea nr Aber Falls, and goes over all 5 tops in Wales which are over 1000 metres in altitude....

Actually, i ran the "short" race this year, which starts on the A5 at lake Ogwen, and only goes over the three tops in the Glyders and SNowdon range.... but still a big outing.

2hrs07, 1st v40, 4th overall.... very pleased with that.

For an idea of the effort up Snowdon, for those who've been up there.... we ascended the Pyg Track from Pen Y Pass.... i reached the finger stone below Snowdon in 48mins from Pen Y Pass (we then had to turn away fro SNowdon and ascend Carnedd Ugain prior to the final climb up onto Snowdon).

One of the "novelties" of this race is finishing on top of Snowdon, which then requires getting down after.... i can confirm that this is far from pleasant after a couple of hours of hard racing, sunburnt, and out of water!

Sky_Blue_Daz

Got another 5 miles done after a weekend of over indulgence

Nick

Administrator
Screenshot_2022-05-31-19-32-30-515_com.huawei.health.jpg

My final run in may for charity. Not the fastest, knee hurts, raining, hip clicking but got there in the end

I still have no clue how to set a pace so end up sprinting then power walking etc.

Last edited:

Travs

club night last night with the new group...

5 x 1 mins
1 x 3mins
5 x 1mins

all off 2 minute rests.
10.5 miles.

Another club session to come on thursday.... will be my first time on the track with the new group, and no let up in the pace, as it will be 10 x 300mtrs

Travs

View attachment 24909

My final run in may for charity. Not the fastest, knee hurts, raining, hip clicking but got there in the end

I still have no clue how to set a pace so end up sprinting then power walking etc.

Start off at a pace that you think is a little too slow and you could easily maintain..... and then "change down another gear"...... will feel very easy to start, but will enable you to gauge the correct pace.

If you want to be more technical about it, then run a 3km/2 mile effort as fast as you can. Record the time and work out your average pace. Your "easy" pace for most of your general running should be around 60-70% of this pace. (if you struggle to run 3km without blowing up half way and having to walk, then this pretty much knocks this method out the window for a bit, and best to stick to the first one!)

Nick

Administrator
Yeah by the end of that I was not much faster than walking pace but obviously jogging.

I found that the issue was more my joints hurting than actually blowing out of my arse when I took my time.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Decided last night I’m going to do the Coventry half this year. Did a 7 mile run today to get started . Really enjoyed it first tine I’ve done 7 miles since before Christmas

Travs

I ran in the track league for Godiva today at Abingdon.

10:46 for 3000mtrs

Strange at these short distances where the margins are small... i'd have been ecstatic with 10:40 or quicker, but unhappy with 10:50.... and i was only 5 seconds off either of them!

Back to familiar territory next weekend and 23 miles 7500ft fell race,

Rich

Sphinx 5miler last night in the memorial park. It was blinking warm and that park’s definitely not flat.
Did a short warmup and knew it wouldn’t be a quick one for me.

Moderate effort and came in around 41:10. I can see that being a pb course though, the hills are gradual and the declines are fast. I had trouble increasing speed and cadence on the downhills so definitely something to work on.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Did 3 and a bit laps round memorial park this evening worked out to be 5.69 miles

Really nice

Travs

quite chaotic few days running-wise.

Bashed my elbow up whilst "looking after" my two nephews on thursday, was in total agony and supposed to have a 23 mile fell race today. Went out and did a 10 mile "test run" last night on the fells and decided i would do the race, but not be able to push it hard due to the pain, and risk of falling on it whilst descending at speed.

Then the race was cancelled due to below-zero windchill and 55mph winds up on the tops.... so went out and did a 29 mile/7850ft training run instead.

robbiekeane

Up to 11.5km/7.2 miles today for half marathon training.
Half marathon is about 6 weeks away. Should be sound I reckon.

Getting to the stage where I need a nap after a run now 😂

Hertsccfc

quite chaotic few days running-wise.

Bashed my elbow up whilst "looking after" my two nephews on thursday, was in total agony and supposed to have a 23 mile fell race today. Went out and did a 10 mile "test run" last night on the fells and decided i would do the race, but not be able to push it hard due to the pain, and risk of falling on it whilst descending at speed.

Then the race was cancelled due to below-zero windchill and 55mph winds up on the tops.... so went out and did a 29 mile/7850ft training run instead.
A 29 mile training run?? When feeling in pain? Wow

Travs

Knocked out another 8 miles/2700ft on the fells this morning. As i started i noticed a very fit/fast looking runner climbing the ridge a couple of minutes behind me.... held him off for a couple of miles before he caught me... turned out to be one of the top fellrunners from Cumbria, and his brother plays for Wasps.

Felt surprisingly good considering the mileage i did yesterday. Need to sharpen up this week now as got another track 3000m race next sunday.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Had lovely 6 mile run this evening had a bit of a change of route

Sandpits Lane , through the back of coundon park out to the white lion left onto pikers lane along there left onto hawks Mill lane past the white lion around part of the park into St Thomas church and home

Terry Gibson's perm

Out on an hours walk tonight as I am still struggling to run after my back issues and who was walking straight at me Dave Bennett I had my end of Highfield Road shirt on we exchanged smiles and moved on.

Travs

Raced in the Midlands Athletics Champs at Pingles Stadium today.

3000 metres.

I knew i was in trouble as half the field were sub-9min runners, and my pb is 10:32....!

But you can only go out and do your best.... in the end it was a fairly pleasing 10:35.... having ran 10:52 about a month ago, and 10:46 a fortnight ago, its showing good progression, and a sign that i'm in good shape.

Back to familiar territory next week with an uphill race on Snowdon on friday night, and potentially another fell race nr Holyhead on the Saturday.

SkyBlueSoul

Went for my first "run" since doing my ankle in January about 2 weeks ago, gentle 1km in 5:20. No issues (apart from lack of fitness!) so built up confidence with a few more similar runs before my first 5k in 5 months in 4:44/km. Feels amazing to be back at it, my mental health suffered massively without it.

Will do a bleep test in the next week, partly to gauge my fitness, but also to gradually put more weight through the ankle at the end of each shuttle.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Done a couple of 7 miles and one 4.5 mile run this week

Hertsccfc

I had covid last week. Fortunately it seemed relatively mild, with a couple of days of headaches and a bit of a cough. Feel I am more or less over it now, although I do seem more tired than usual, especially after finishing work.

I thought I had heard that it is not good to do too much exercise too soon after covid. I have done a couple of decent length walks this week without any problems but would welcome any advice especially from anyone who has returned to running or other exercise after covid.

TomS91

I've started training for the London Marathon the last couple of weeks. Easing into it after picking up a knee injury doing the Hackney Half. In pain for the first few hundred metres each run then it subsides. Strange one.

If anybody fancies chucking a few quid towards my charity for the marathon I would appreciate it! Tom's London Marathon Fundraising Page

Travs

13th (4th v40) in the Snowdon Uphill race this evening, from Llanberis to the summit via the main railway path.

53mins49secs. pb by nearly 6mins so very pleased... another race tomorrow round the coast path and rough terrain outside Holyhead.

Travs

Did the Holyhead Mountain Race yesterday.

Was tough on legs that had raced only 18hrs previously.... held it together for most of the race though, and was in a pitched battle for 3rd/4th/5th right up until the final climb...

But on the final climb my usual strong climbing wasn't there... i'd usually be looking to pull away and create a gap to see me down the descent... but i couldn't shake off the determined runners behind me, and i dropped to 7th down the final descent.

A surprisingly tough and technical race on what is fairly low elevation for a fell race... basically being on a coast path for 90% of the race.

Stunning views though, when you get a rare chance to look up.

Sick Boy

There's been a major heatwave here for the last month, so been avoiding it, managed 8km at 5am this morning - it was already 24c, so tough going!

1ccfc

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for the following please? I started running in January this year and all is going well. I've sorted my blister problem thanks to advice from you guys. I've noticed this last couple of weeks that I've started to really struggle with leg fatigue. The cardio is fine, but there is nothing in the legs. Is there anything I can do for this? Also, do any of you take supplements for running. Thanks in advance.

Travs

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for the following please? I started running in January this year and all is going well. I've sorted my blister problem thanks to advice from you guys. I've noticed this last couple of weeks that I've started to really struggle with leg fatigue. The cardio is fine, but there is nothing in the legs. Is there anything I can do for this? Also, do any of you take supplements for running. Thanks in advance.

How much running are you doing per week? Are you doing any fast sessions/races/parkruns/etc which might be accumulating fatigue?

Fatigue can certainly catch up... i'm currently in the middle of an "easy" week after a heavy racing and training schedule recently. Simply needing to go easy for a few days before ramping up again for the next lot of races.

As to supplements, i just take standard multi-vitamins as i have done for years, and a bit of protein.

Rich

Also depends which part of the leg you’re struggling with. Is it heavy legs in the thighs or calf/Achilles aching?

1ccfc

Thanks for the replies. It's mainly heavy legs in the thighs. I'm currently running 3 - 4 times a week with distances ranging from 3 - 6 miles. One session a week is more speed work which alternates with hill work on a weekly basis. I did go from couch straight in, and have been fairly constant with this routine since January.

Users who are viewing this thread