Running (8 Viewers)

Travs

Is it realistic to go from running a comfortable 10km to a half marathon in a year?

Yes, easily.

If you are "comfortably" running a 10km then you've just got to run more often and for longer.... some longer specific training runs as well.

If you're already running regularly then i'd say you can probably turn it round within 3 months.

robbiekeane

So
Yes, easily.

If you are "comfortably" running a 10km then you've just got to run more often and for longer.... some longer specific training runs as well.

If you're already running regularly then i'd say you can probably turn it round within 3 months.
Sorry just saw this

Travs

Ran in the North Wales Fell champs on sunday (interestingly the race registration was in England, the start/finish in Wales, and i believe the route crossed the border a couple of times)

Was a hot day so i started conservatively and was surprised to find myself leading most of the way up the first climb. Dropped to 2nd by the summit, and 3rd on the subsequent descent.

The second climb and descent was the crux of the race with people taking a multitude of different lines off the mountain... i was astounded to make it to the road and be told i was in the lead, with just one guy close behind.

Knew i had to try and break the guy behind on the long final climb (easier said than done as he is a 16min/5km runner as well as a better fellrunner than me)..... i turned the screw and he was making some horrible noises, but hung on to me and i reached the final summit only about 5 seconds in front.

Final descent was only 4 or 5 minutes and he nipped in front of me about 1/3rd of the way down, and pulled out another 20 secs on me by the finish.

But very pleased with 2nd, was my best performance of the year. Unfortunately i ripped the skin off my heel and have put my chances of starting the English Champs race in the Peak District this weekend in severe jeopardy.... was supposed to be racing at Pingles tomorrow night as well but that one's gone, as i can still hardly walk on it.

SkyBlueSoul

2nd comeback of the year, first from the ankle and now after getting covid at the start of July. Nice lunchtime 5k, 4:40/km

Travs

Managed to recover in time for the English Champs at the weekend.... then promptly had a nightmare as i was badly affected by the heat, having to sit down three times.... i did manage to finish, but well down on where i should be.

Last night was Godiva club night and we did 9 x 1 minute reps. Rest period starting at 2 minutes and decreasing by 15 seconds each rep.

Last few reps were pretty grim on minimal rest.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Had a nice 4 mile run this afternoon really enjoyed it

speedie87

Anyone know if you can pay to use track at Godiva as non member?

Looking to do do some intervals and being able to do a track would be good

Travs

I'm pretty sure you can. As long as its not at times booked out to Godiva (tuesday and thursday evening), or any other group bookings they might have.

There is a timetable/booking thing somewhere on the University Of Warwick website where you can do it online.

However you should be able to turn up with cash and chance your luck.

You can also definitely book at pingles Nuneaton online, just google "pingles stadium"

Rich

If that’s the one at Warwick Uni then it’s definitely pay as you play. We’ve been a few times as Northbrook

Travs

Woke up at 4am thanks to the joys of insomnia and just got back from a 14km run - feel like I need a nap already.

Having done a couple of ultras which start early morning, i can comiserate.

When you've been running a few hours already, start feeling the first strains of severe tiredness, look at your watch and its still not even 7am, and realise you've still got 12hrs+ to go....!!!

Travs

Track session at Godiva last night.

3 x 500mtrs (98, 97, 97)
1 x mile (5:44)
3 x 500mtrs (99, 98, 97)

First set of 500s were about par... very pleased with the mile, and doubly pleased with holding performance on the 2nd set of 500s (albeit a massive struggle to do so).

10.5 miles for the evening, 5 miles easy in the morning. A solid day.

Now on holiday til after bank holiday weekend so looking to bang in a lot of miles in the Lake District.

SkyBlueSoul

Needed some new running trainers so went and had a gait analysis yesterday, then tested a few out on the treadmill before I bought some. Was interesting going through the footage, he could even tell me which muscles I need to stretch more. Well worth it in my opinion.

Can't wait to take them for a proper run later.

Travs

I've had Hoka before, both road and trail shoes.

My personal view is that while yes they are incredibly cushioned, they are not so much more comfortable then say a standard pair of Nike Pegasus. If money is no barrier then it may well be worth giving them a try to see how you get on.

If i recall correctly, i was "true to size" in Hoka road shoes, and needed half a size up in their trail shoes.

Rich

Nike Pegs in black are on sale at £60 at the moment. That is a deal not to be sniffed at if you’re looking for new runners atm.

Sky_Blue_Daz

really lost my mojo regarding running at the moment i was happily doing 5/6 miles 3x a week month to just doing a 3 mile run 3 times a week.

It just seems a bit of a drag at the minute , i think its because ive been doing a lot of different shifts at work

Travs

Raced in the Stretton Skyline Fell Race last sunday... a 19mile loop of the Skyline surrounding Church Stretton in the Long Mynd in Shropshire.. one of my main target races for the year.... the target being to go sub 3-hrs for the first time ever...

Despite coming 8th overall and 1st v40, i missed out on the 3hrs by a mere 45 seconds.... coming off the last summit i had 16mins to get down, along the valley, and into the park where the race finished... on fresh legs this would be very comfortable.... but after nearly 3hrs running i just couldn't push any harder, and the 3hrs ticked by as i was running down the alley into the park.

But no time to dwell.... back into Godiva training this week, with a 4 mile cross-country effort on thursday night, at around 6:30/mile pace.

The main struggle this year is when you target the fell champs, the races come thick and fast, and such a great variation... the races have varied between less than 5 miles, up to 23 miles, with just about everything in between.

Next year i may look to target a smaller number of races and try to put in big performances in them... perhaps Yorkshire 3 Peaks April, Snowdon International July, and perhaps an autumn road marathon (Frankfurt?)

Rich

Nice little run round Nuneaton 10k this morning. Ran within myself but tried to get everything back into race mentality. Kept calm, smooth controlled the pace and the hr and feel really chuffed with the run. I’ve been struggling in the last few months with dropping off once it starts to get the slightest bit tough.

Result was 52minutes but I fell like I could head straight back out for another 10k and repeat the time so mission accomplished for today.

Travs

Well done Rich, good to see you...

I must admit you caught me on the hop a bit... after you disappeared round the arches, i wondered how you had managed to recognise me!

Rich

Well done Rich, good to see you...

I must admit you caught me on the hop a bit... after you disappeared round the arches, i wondered how you had managed to recognise me!
You show up in enough places and report it on here so I figured it must be you. If it wasn’t you, that guy would’ve thought that was weird and moved on so nothing to lose.

Rich

Balsall Common 10k today. Nice 2 lap course. Really good atmosphere as it’s also a 5k fun run.
Nice and steady like last week with a 53:30 (course was 10.2km). Really getting my mojo back and may shoot for a sub 50 sometime in October as I think the mentality is starting to come back enabling me to give it some.
Built the miles up to a reasonable level over the last few weeks and it feels good to be back at it.
315miles all year and 52 of them have been the last three weeks. E2975ECC-BA96-47A6-9835-83283E838DCC.jpeg

Travs

I was in action in the Black Mountains/Brecon Beacons yesterday, for the final race in this year's British Fell Champs.

30th (15th v40). Likely to be the highest i ever finish in a major champs race... i benefitted from knowing the course very well from previous years, and a lower turnout than usual (the north of England being the "powerhouse" of fellrunning, it was about as far south as you can get for real fellrunning).

Didn't feel like i ran particularly well, but was a pb by nearly 25mins, so i guess i paced it right.... didn't drop any places from the top of the 2nd summit (approx 1hr30 in) until the finish (3hrs18)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Had a few nice 3 mile runs this week going to try 4 on Monday

Users who are viewing this thread