Running (9 Viewers)

Skyblueweeman

I am due to run my first half marathon a month tomorrow but have had a nasty chest infection since Christmas and am only just recovering from it now. I haven't been able to run since Christmas Day (I did a half marathon early in the morning); this was the first and only time I have done the distance and I haven't been able to run since then due to being ill.
How badly impacted am I likely to be by 3 weeks of not running? I am also going to NY in a couple of weeks for a week so won't be able to run then...am I better off forgetting about it for now and doing it later in the year?

Sorry to hear you've been ill mate. I had it before Xmas - flu for a couple of weeks and then a chest infection for a couple of weeks with a shitty cough. I therefore had a month off from the gym, football, sea swimming etc and was worried when I went back last week to the gym.

I went to the gym 4 times last week and was quickly back into the routine with my cardio and pretty much back to where I was towards the back end of November/early Dec.

I've also given up booze, chocolate, biscuits, takeaways etc for Jan and feel great already.

Whilst not road running, I reckon your muscle memory and aerobic capacity would be back to normal after a few runs. If you do it and tank though, at least you've got an excuse ;-)

Travs

I guess it depends whether you're looking to "complete" or "compete"....

I'm pretty sure you can still get round respectably. But if you have got a time target then it might be worth reconsidering.

shmmeee

Starting this up again next week once I’m over my cold. My last pair of trainers have a hole in them so need to buy some new ones.

I’ll just be starting couch to 5k again and going out for walks on off days, long term want to build up to 5k a day in the mornings but that’s a way off.

Was thinking about going to Coventry Runner and getting some proper running shoes and a gait analysis. Is this overkill? Will I find it easier/injure myself less with some proper running shoes or should I just buy any old trainers for now and not worry about it until I’m one of the Lycra’d elite?

Sick Boy

Why don't you take your running stuff to NY? I did the other year, found it a buzz running through the streets of Manhattan into Central Park. CP is massive as well so you could get a decent run out of it.
I had thought about that so will try and give it a go...if the beer doesn’t get too much in the way.
Starting this up again next week once I’m over my cold. My last pair of trainers have a hole in them so need to buy some new ones.

I’ll just be starting couch to 5k again and going out for walks on off days, long term want to build up to 5k a day in the mornings but that’s a way off.

Was thinking about going to Coventry Runner and getting some proper running shoes and a gait analysis. Is this overkill? Will I find it easier/injure myself less with some proper running shoes or should I just buy any old trainers for now and not worry about it until I’m one of the Lycra’d elite?
Personally, I’d just concentrate on doing it regularly at first with some more basic runners. That’s what I did and then got some Hoka for around €100 - I used my old ones for way too long and by the end was in pain after most runs…they definitely make a big difference.

Sick Boy

I can't help you professionally on running those kind of distances, but I'm going to New York for work in about two weeks so if you fancy a jog round Central Park then I'm happy to sit on a bench whilst you do so.

Haven't you just been anyway?
I’m heading over there for a week a week on Sunday..we only went in September but didn’t do everything we wanted so going back over while it’s relatively cheaper with flights and hotels etc.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Did me first run since the 21st of December today . 4 miles but I enjoyed it

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Personally, would 100% recommend going and getting proper trainers. I did a marathon about 6 or so years ago, and when I first started getting beyond 10k in training, I found myself getting little niggly injuries. My older sister kept going on about gait analysis etc and proper trainers and I thought she was being a running snob. I went, and it was a game changer. Everything felt better, and injuries disappeared. I didn't know but I slightly overpronate and getting the right shoe stopped it. Since, whenever I do too many miles in my shoes before replacing I can feel injuries coming back on. Last summer, ruined my back running in shoes that were too worn and got some new ones and I once I recovered, I was back to it, injury-free. Doing 7K a day in January to try and get back into some level of shape having spent a good few months eating and drinking too much.

fernandopartridge

I had thought about that so will try and give it a go...if the beer doesn’t get too much in the way.

Personally, I’d just concentrate on doing it regularly at first with some more basic runners. That’s what I did and then got some Hoka for around €100 - I used my old ones for way too long and by the end was in pain after most runs…they definitely make a big difference.
I did it all with a hangover , it's a nice running environment because the air is pretty dry, it was cold though (end of November). Lots of other runners about as well.

stay_up_skyblues

I got back in the gym toward the end of October. By week before Christmas I was up to 5k in around 25 minutes on the treadmill which was good progress for me and my moobs. Then on my last session, chest pain. Naturally I convinced myself it was a tumour, then angina 🤣 eases off Christmas week so I get back to it on 3rd of January.

End of first session back and my chest is killing me. Got in at docs same day (I know!) and I’ve damaged a chest muscle linked to the diaphragm. Likely those monster bench presses (15kg 🤣). Doc says no weights or running for a month, apparently being out of breath is stopping it healing as much as the weights.

Wounded as I was on a roll. Huel 2x a day, no junk during the week plus weight sessions and 5k on treadmill four times a week and I’d shifted best part of a stone over November. On the plus side I can’t wait to get back and so seem to have the bug again.

Travs

Personally i'm not a fan of gait-analysis etc.... i tend towards the view that by building up mileage slowly and steadily, you "proof" your body against injury, far more than relying on a pair of trainers to do it for you.

But i guess that's easy for me to say with a few years of heavy mileage behind me.

But i'd certainly recommend at the very least, getting some proper running trainers. Going out in apair of £30 slazenger off the shelf from Sports Direct is going to be very unpleasant.

As to training, we did 12 x 420mtr reps last night, with 1 minute rest periods. Round one of the pond/lakes on the UOW campus. Grim session, but i was pleased to knock them out consistently at around 3:17/km pace. But seeing training partners knocking the out at under 2:40/km pace always brings one back down to earth...!

ProfessorbyGrace

You guys are all too fit, stop it.

I’ve tried running at various junctures in my life, but uh, I think I have naturally undeveloped lungs or something. Was always decent at the sprinting events (I actually took third in my whole year group at secondary school) but beyond a lap I was a snotting, heaving mess.

I tried again in the summer, which was a mistake. Nearly had to crawl back to the car.

shmmeee

Personally i'm not a fan of gait-analysis etc.... i tend towards the view that by building up mileage slowly and steadily, you "proof" your body against injury, far more than relying on a pair of trainers to do it for you.

But i guess that's easy for me to say with a few years of heavy mileage behind me.

But i'd certainly recommend at the very least, getting some proper running trainers. Going out in apair of £30 slazenger off the shelf from Sports Direct is going to be very unpleasant.

As to training, we did 12 x 420mtr reps last night, with 1 minute rest periods. Round one of the pond/lakes on the UOW campus. Grim session, but i was pleased to knock them out consistently at around 3:17/km pace. But seeing training partners knocking the out at under 2:40/km pace always brings one back down to earth...!

This is why I was thinking about heading to Coventry Runner the gait analysis is free if you buy a pair of trainers and last time out it was a pair of £10 Tesco own brand I was using 😂 Plus I’m a data geek so always interested in any analysis of myself. Was thinking of dropping say £100 on something and could do with a bit of advice as I have no idea what I’m looking for.

TomS91

This is why I was thinking about heading to Coventry Runner the gait analysis is free if you buy a pair of trainers and last time out it was a pair of £10 Tesco own brand I was using 😂 Plus I’m a data geek so always interested in any analysis of myself. Was thinking of dropping say £100 on something and could do with a bit of advice as I have no idea what I’m looking for.
Defo get proper running trainers. I stopped picking up niggly injuries when I bought my first proper pair.

Sick Boy

You guys are all too fit, stop it.

I’ve tried running at various junctures in my life, but uh, I think I have naturally undeveloped lungs or something. Was always decent at the sprinting events (I actually took third in my whole year group at secondary school) but beyond a lap I was a snotting, heaving mess.

I tried again in the summer, which was a mistake. Nearly had to crawl back to the car.
I always used to dislike it too but managed to get into it - If you start aiming to do a 5K you’d be surprised how quickly you can increase the distance. A lot of it is definitely psychological though.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Got another 4 miles done today , had a few 5 mile walks too .Felt it in my ankle a bit today it gets really sore in the winter

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

The only 'downside' i can think of if you do the above is you'll pay more for the trainers than you would online. If you are willing to spend £100 they'll almost certainly be able to recommend something that range id think.

Ive always got on fine with Nike stuff and usually pay around £70 by waiting for promotions. Travs advice to build distance slowly is also really sound, 10% is roughly where i have troed to pitch it and wprls for me. For context i dont run for a club, just aim for 3 a week and do half-marathons as and when i can for the training into work commitments etc.

shmmeee

The only 'downside' i can think of if you do the above is you'll pay more for the trainers than you would online. If you are willing to spend £100 they'll almost certainly be able to recommend something that range id think.

Ive always got on fine with Nike stuff and usually pay around £70 by waiting for promotions. Travs advice to build distance slowly is also really sound, 10% is roughly where i have troed to pitch it and wprls for me. For context i dont run for a club, just aim for 3 a week and do half-marathons as and when i can for the training into work commitments etc.

Thing is I have no idea at all what I’m looking for so would appreciate the advice so while I might pay 20-30 more I get to try a few on and get the advice the first time. Once I know what I’m after I can look for cheaper ones is my thinking.

Skybluefaz

Done a couple of park runs now. It's not a bad place to start @shmmeee very supportive environment. I walked the first one, mixed in some running yesterday. Plus you've got some gamification involved which you might appreciate I find it a motivation to go back and improve on my stats.

shmmeee

Done a couple of park runs now. It's not a bad place to start @shmmeee very supportive environment. I walked the first one, mixed in some running yesterday. Plus you've got some gamification involved which you might appreciate I find it a motivation to go back and improve on my stats.

Maybe. I very much like to fail in private at first though 😂

LastGarrison

It is a very inclusive environment and as Faz says as it is timed you can look at improvements each week.

When I was a lot fitter a few years ago I joined a running class and they ran a group where the overall aim was to get everyone up to the stage to run a 5k and my Missus Mum did it and she’d never ran in her life and was 60 at the time!

I get the hesitance at this early stage but I’d definitely use it as a target to aim for.

Skybluefaz

But you succeed by just turning up
Steve Harvey Cringe GIF by ABC Network

Yeah, but for real you do.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Thing is I have no idea at all what I’m looking for so would appreciate the advice so while I might pay 20-30 more I get to try a few on and get the advice the first time. Once I know what I’m after I can look for cheaper ones is my thinking.
Yeah i think its a good idea, you're basically paid a bit for their advice and time but it should be money well spent.

Sick Boy

Did the York Brass Monkey half marathon today. Flat course which is nice, 1hr 43 which I'll absolutely take! Headphones were banned so had to run for the first time without music and it actually wasn't bad

Got a quality shirt for it too and a nice medal!
Congrats - that's a decent time!

Travs

Cross country league yesterday at a very tough Warley Woods course in Smethwick.

38.14 for what was supposedly 10km (although i expect it was anything up to half a mile short of 10km.

175th. Standard is ridiculous.

Cov Godiva stand 7th in Division 1 of the league (which is widely regarded to be the strongest league in the country). Our B team (of which i usually find myself in) stand 4th. Our Masters (over 35) team (of which i also score for) had a bad day yesterday and dropped to 7th.

larry_david

Another 12k in the pocket yesterday. Signed up for Sheffield and Leeds half marathons. Must be mad as Sheffield apparently is vertical

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I failed on my 7k a day through January with what I am assuming is achilles tendinitis. Disappointed to be honest. Body failing rather than mind. Not sure how long to rest it for either really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Daz

Got a steady 4 miles in again today, just enough at the minute

Travs

Midlands Cross Country Championships at Newbold Comyn (Leamington) tomorrow.

Can't see past the usual main contenders of Notts AC and Bristol & West, but BRAT (Birmingham) and Western Tempo (Cheltenham) might pull a shock. We have a reasonably strong team out so hopefully push towards the top end of our perennial 5th-8th place.

Aside from Northbrook, doesn't seem to be many runners from the other Coventry clubs... bit of a shame as its so local and one of the highlights of the year in the Midlands.

rob9872

Midlands Cross Country Championships at Newbold Comyn (Leamington) tomorrow.

Can't see past the usual main contenders of Notts AC and Bristol & West, but BRAT (Birmingham) and Western Tempo (Cheltenham) might pull a shock. We have a reasonably strong team out so hopefully push towards the top end of our perennial 5th-8th place.

Aside from Northbrook, doesn't seem to be many runners from the other Coventry clubs... bit of a shame as its so local and one of the highlights of the year in the Midlands.
Still have nightmares of that place. Football training our gaffer used to make us run up that short steep hill around the light beacon again and again. Hated it used to feel physically sick after.

Travs

Good day at the MIdlands Cross Country Champs.

Ladies up first, and GB runner and former European Champion Gemma Steel (Charnwood) took the win, followed closely by Cov Godiva's very own Julie Emmerson, 12 seconds behind.

A similar story in the team event, with Charnwood pipping Godiva to the gold by a matter of only 4 pts. Leamington 7th, Kenilworth 8th, Sphinx 20th, Northbrook 21st. Nuneaton with an incomplete team, a shame as they could easily have pushed for top 6 on full strength.

In the men's

Bristol & West 1st
Notts AC 2nd
Cov Godiva 5th
Leamington 7th
Kenilworth 11th
Nuneaton 16th
Northbrook 18th
Masseys & Sphinx with incomplete teams.

Four weeks to the National Cross Country Champs, one of the great English sporting events, at a new venue somewhere between Wrexham/Crewe/Chester.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Loving the slightly longer evenings , did another 4 miles just now . Aiming to up or to 6 for March April time

Users who are viewing this thread