Running (10 Viewers)

Travs

It was the Midland Road Relays yesterday at Sutton Park. Always a big event...

Womens:
Nuneaton Harriers 13th
Leamington 15th
Kenilworth 30th
Sphinx 41st
Masseys 43rd
Northbrook 48th

Mens:
Coventry Godiva 7th
Leamington 15th
Nuneaton 28th
Kenilworth 39th
Sphinx 57th
Masseys 61st
Northbrook 84th

I missed it as was racing on the fells in Snowdonia... comfortably in 3rd on the final summit but got a bit lost in the clouds coming down off Glyder Fawr and dropped to 5th by the end... a bit of a disappointing finish to what was otherwise a good run by my standards.

Travs

Club night at Godiva last night. Our group sees a shift in training now, moving away from the track-biased short reps, and winter training begins in earnest, building up the endurance for the tough cross-country season.

Last night was a 25 minute continuous effort up and down the shallow hill in Westwood Business Park. Knocked this out at a consistent pace of around 19:30/5km. Nothing spectacular, but pleasing to keep the effort very consistent, never veering more than a couple of seconds outside of that pace throughout.

10.5 miles on top of 5 miles AM, a solid day.

fernandopartridge

I had been out a few times recently but had quite bad lateral foot pain last week, it's gone away now.

Could this be due to running in my non gait fitted trainers? Or just running regularly again from a period of inactivity?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Travs

I had been out a few times recently but had quite bad lateral foot pain last week, it's gone away now.

Could this be due to running in my non gait fitted trainers? Or just running regularly again from a period of inactivity?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'd say its more likely the latter.

Everybody has got their own opinions, but my view is all this gait-analysis is a bit of a waste

(i await a flurry of posts in disagreement)

fernandopartridge

Everybody has got their own opinions, but my view is all this gait-analysis is a bit of a waste

Yea i did think it was more likely to be that - I did gait analysis a few years ago but i'd never actually had any problems at all prior with just wearing standard trainers, never had any injuries or joint pain

True gait analysis doesn’t really have much to do with trainer fitting. I had gait analysis by a physio a while back and there was so much in my style (gait) that I needed to change.
Gait analysis in a shoe shop is a bit of a myth to make you think you’re getting a special service (and to buy their special to you trainers)

Travs

Yesterday was the National Road Relays in Sutton Coldfield. Eagle-eyed viewers of the Commonwealth Games may recognise the venue, as it hosted the run section of the Triathlon earlier this year, but more well-known in running circles as the long-time host venue for the National Relays.

Unlike the Midlands champs a few weeks back, entry to the national is granted upon being in the top 25 teams in the respective regional champs (Midlands, North or South).

Womens:
1st Tonbridge (Kent)
2nd Salford Harriers
3rd Aldershot Farnham & District
46th Nuneaton Harriers

Mens:
1st Aldershot Farnham & District
2nd Leeds City
3rd Cambridge & Coleridge
27th Cov Godiva
57th Leamington AC
73rd Nuneaton Harriers

I wasn't present (i wouldn't be strong enough to run for Godiva at this event in any case), as i was in the Lake District for the final round of the English Fell Championships (which incidentally was won this year in a last day shoot-out by Matt Elkington who originally hails from Kenilworth.

Sky_Blue_Daz

My wife and her friend entered the Ballot for the London marathon, my wife got a place in it . She’s having a panic as the most she’s done is a half marathon and she’s only doing the couch to 5k at the minute . She’s had a look at the training plan and thinks she can do it though so good luck to her

Travs

Busy weekend coming up in the area.

Saturday is the British Masters Cross-Country Relays at Long Eaton, which usually has a decent showing from the local clubs.

Sunday i think is the Cov Half Marathon. Sunday afternoon also has the Warwick University Cross Country Relays, which is a more unofficial opener to the XC season, and again very popular.

British Masters for me, then spectating at the other two on sunday.

SkyBlueSoul

Very much fallen off the wagon with running, 2 weeks working abroad got me out of the habit. Playing 7 a side tonight so will try and use that as a catalyst to get back out there.

Travs

Edit on my above post: i don't think the Cov Half Marathon is on this weekend. I think the date i saw has been cancelled or updated.

Sick Boy

Unexpectedly ended up running 21.5 km yesterday without planning to - feeling it today though and running a 10km next Sunday, so maybe not the best idea haha.

Travs

First League weekend for the Birmingham Cross Country League yesterday. Probably the top competitive cross country league in the country.

Division 1 were at Crewe and a bumper turnout with Cov Godiva having 31 runners.

A good showing saw us 5th.... 1st Birmingham Uni, 2nd Loughboro Uni, 3rd BRAT, 4th Birchfield.

Personally i ran 55 secs quicker than last year and scored in the B team.

University Of Wariwck were just behind us in 6th. Kenilworth in 14th which is a relegation place, but still 3 fixtures to go.

In Division 2, Leamington were 2nd and look strong for a quick return to Div 1.

3rd Division results still to come, for Nuneaton, Massey, Sphinx, Northbrook..... i tip Nuneaton for a promotion challenge this year.

It’s about 20 weeks to A coventry way 40 miler, so I’ve started training now. 22 miles total this week. 8 mile training run on trails today. 5 times that and I’ll have the thing cracked 😄. I’m getting faster and fitter though. Onwards and upwards

bezzer

Did the Alton Towers 10k on Saturday, ran sub 55 which I was pleased with. An undulating course which winds it way around the park and the car parks. And of course followed by an afternoon in the park with no queue times greater than 20 minutes!

Travs

Nice one Sick Boy,

I raced on the Shropshire Fells today. 1:09:30 for 5 miles (a good indication of how tough the race was, as i'd be under 31mins for a 5 mile road race).

Only finished 9th which i was a little disappointed with... but it was a pb by 5 minutes so can;t really have any complaints, just got beaten by stronger runners on the day.

larry_david

Well, first reply from me in this thread for a while.

So in August ran the York 10k, did a decent enough time for 46 mins
Ran the York marathon relay leg of 8k at average 4.31k which I was delighted with and on Sunday gone just did the Bury 10 miler which was my longest distance in a public event. Christ was that hard, first 6k were up hill. I thought after 6 I was a goner and would have to stop, which was a real eye opener but I kept going and finished 57th in the event out of 333 which I'll take.

All 3 events were runforall and come with completion medals. I love the idea of medals and want more so I'm going to sign up to more events.

Brass monkey York half marathon in Jan is next. (No medal though)

Sick Boy

Ran the York marathon relay leg of 8k at average 4.31k which I was delighted with and on Sunday gone just did the Bury 10 miler which was my longest distance in a public event. Christ was that hard, first 6k were up hill. I thought after 6 I was a goner and would have to stop, which was a real eye opener but I kept going and finished 57th in the event out of 333 which I'll take.

All 3 events were runforall and come with completion medals. I love the idea of medals and want more so I'm going to sign up to more events.

Haha yeah me too, I signed up to a 10k in Trieste in January as well - need to remember I’m the wrong the side of 35 now!
They’re some really good times, well done!

Travs

If you want a quick 10 miler around this time of year, then head for the Brampton - Carlisle 10 Mile. it was actually held last sunday.

There was one Cov Godiva representative this year, who went a very impressive sub-58mins (smashing my time from last year of 64mins!)

A couple of hills, but overall a very slight nett downhill across the 10 miles, and reknowned as one of the quickest courses in the country. Quite an old-fashioned race though, no medals, just the satisfaction of your time.

Travs

After racing on the fells last sunday, was still feeling some quite intensive DOMS, but headed out to Godiva training last night.

3 x 2km reps on a circuit near the Phantom Coach.

I could only manage two reps...

7:52
7:44

Quite a way off my expected usual pace, but given the circumstances a decent evening's work and 9 more miles to the yearly total (currently averaging 68.8 miles per week, it will need a huge effort to top 70 mpw for the year)

Travs

Cross Country League last saturday.

We were in Wolverhampton for the Div1 race..... 7th on the day, 6th overall. Warwick University came out of nowhere with a great performance and might have an outside shot at a medal place if they keep that up. Kenilworth currently a little adrift and staring at relegation at the moment unless they pull something out of the bag, fingers crossed.

Div2 sees Leamington looking strong for a quick return to the top league.

DIv3 and Nuneaton are looking good for promotion, i think they would hold their own in Division2. Sphinx also in the promotion battle but might fall short. Masseys and Northbrook holding their own, but not in the mix.

Warwickshire County Champs next weekend at a new venue on a farm somewhere near Brinklow. Hopefully a good turnout from the local clubs... due to athletics being administered as per the "old" Warwickshire boundaries, Warwickshire includes large parts of Birmingham, so Godiva will do battle with Birchfield Harriers for the overall title. Fancy Nuneaton and Stratford to put up a medal challenge if they get strong teams out. Sphinx good also pull out a good result if all their best runners turn out, but they never seem to get a full squad out on the cross-country.

Travs

Unfortunately i'm not in such a strong position to comment on the women's leagues, as the mens/womens fixtures are separate.

Nuneaton Harriers are top women's team at the moment and holding their own well in the top divison. Have several really strong runners on road,cross-country and track.

Godiva have a strong squad but struggle to put out a regular strong team... for example last year won the Midlands Relays at a canter, but then couldn't even field a team for the National Relays where they'd have been amongst the contenders for a medal.... Godiva currently sit in the 2nd divison but were strong at the weekend and if put out teams for the remainder of the league they'll get promoted.

Afraid i know very little about the other women's local teams.

SkyBlueSoul

Very much fallen off the wagon with running, 2 weeks working abroad got me out of the habit. Playing 7 a side tonight so will try and use that as a catalyst to get back out there.
*Morgan Freeman narrator's voice* "But it was not the catalyst to get back out there he had hoped..."

Worked in Turkey all but 4 days in November. A diet of mostly chicken and bread, and nowhere to run near the hotel means I put on 9lbs in the process. Managed a 3km the other evening but can't see me getting much more in with the cold before I go away again on Monday.

Travs

Phantom Coach 1km reps for us last night.... cold, dark and icy.

Along the A45 from outside the pub, turn up Henry Parkes road at the roundabout, then left onto Charter at next roundabout, back to the rear of the pub.

As its the county champs on saturday we only did 3 reps, with a whopping 4minutes rest between each one.

3:29
3:22
3:19

Low 3:20's are when i know i'm running well. Below 3:20 is uncharted territory for me.... hopefully i can start seeing those kind of times on a more endurance based session, such as 5 x 1km with 2mins rest.

But when there's guys in the group flying past me doing close to 2:50, you know there's a long way to go :D

Travs

Warwickshire County Championships today on a very tough course at a new venue... Easenhall... out past Brinklow.

A good turnout from all the local clubs, good to see so many vests from the Cov clubs.

Women were first off at 1pm and Julie Emmerson of Cov Godiva took the honours, leading us home to a team gold as well.

Nuneaton Harriers 2nd.

In the over-35's, Leamington took the gold, Kenilworth 2nd, Northbrook 6th, Massey 7th, Sphinx 8th.

Was the men's turn at 2pm. Godiva narrowly taking the gold ahead of Birmingham based BRAT.

In the over-35's i was pleased to pick up a bronze team medal, narrowly edging out Nuneaton (4th). Kenilworth 5th, Northbrook 7th, Leamington 8th, Massey 10th.

The eagle-eyed may have noticed a strong Coventry and Birmngham presence in this Warwickshire champs..... this is because athletics is administered using the old county boundary

Sick Boy

I am due to run my first half marathon a month tomorrow but have had a nasty chest infection since Christmas and am only just recovering from it now. I haven't been able to run since Christmas Day (I did a half marathon early in the morning); this was the first and only time I have done the distance and I haven't been able to run since then due to being ill.
How badly impacted am I likely to be by 3 weeks of not running? I am also going to NY in a couple of weeks for a week so won't be able to run then...am I better off forgetting about it for now and doing it later in the year?

fernandopartridge

I am due to run my first half marathon a month tomorrow but have had a nasty chest infection since Christmas and am only just recovering from it now. I haven't been able to run since Christmas Day (I did a half marathon early in the morning); this was the first and only time I have done the distance and I haven't been able to run since then due to being ill.
How badly impacted am I likely to be by 3 weeks of not running? I am also going to NY in a couple of weeks for a week so won't be able to run then...am I better off forgetting about it for now and doing it later in the year?
Why don't you take your running stuff to NY? I did the other year, found it a buzz running through the streets of Manhattan into Central Park. CP is massive as well so you could get a decent run out of it.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I can't help you professionally on running those kind of distances, but I'm going to New York for work in about two weeks so if you fancy a jog round Central Park then I'm happy to sit on a bench whilst you do so.

Haven't you just been anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread