Match Thread Rotherham (3 Viewers)

NortonSkyBlue

I mean, if you look at that league table, the two teams goal difference, their games in hand and their recent form, and don't conclude that this is a must win game, not sure what to say to you.

We are very much in the shit if we lose and other results go against us. Of course we are not literally relegated if we do not win it, congratulations for pointing that out you clever man. Have 5 internet points
Thank you for the points, can I put them on our total? We are a point behind Derby, two behind Huddersfield having played a game less. It’s not the end should we lose, there are still games to be won.

PVA

I mean, if you look at that league table, the two teams goal difference, their games in hand and their recent form, and don't conclude that this is a must win game, not sure what to say to you.

We are very much in the shit if we lose and other results go against us. Of course we are not literally relegated if we do not win it

So it's not a must win game? You've just contradicted yourself.

A must win game is literally that - you must win or you go down/don't get promoted etc etc

We can stay up even if we lose, just as we can do down even if we win.

PVA

Osti can play RB as well. Could in theory have a flat back 4 of

Leo Fadz Dom Sam

If we're playing a flat 4 defence with no wingers, as we would be, then we need the full backs to provide the attacking width and that's not Osti's game.

So you'd either have to play Dacosta or, more likely IMO, stick with the wing backs.

For me:

Marosi

Eccles - Osti - Fadz - Hyam - McCallum

Hamer - James

O'Hare

Walker - Godden

Sky Blue Harry H

Don't want a flat back 4 (unless it works !!) Big pitch and I think we're likely to have less control without 3 centre backs.

robbiekeane

So it's not a must win game? You've just contradicted yourself.

A must win game is literally that - you must win or you go down/don't get promoted etc etc

We can stay up even if we lose, just as we can do down even if we win.
What a strange hill to die on. You're right. Technically the only "must win" game we will have is the one that by not winning we a mathematically relegated from. I must remember only to say things if it's true it it's most literal meaning from now on.

Let's play your game then shall we on a few of your recent posts:

No way.

Points on the board trump hypothetical points all day long.

Technically this isn't true "all day long". It may be the case that rotheram win all of their games in hand. Would the point on the board still then be better than the hypothetical points? I'd say no. Technically doesn't "trump" hypothetical points all day long. Naughty use of hyperbole there.

And how would we afford having a squad full of championship level players?

It's inevitable that when you get promoted you take some players up with you who are not at the required level.

Is it inevitable? Not sure it is. Think it's entirely possible that you could have a whole squad at the required level to survive, or you let them go mid season. Shouldn't throw such big words around.

But you can’t just look at games in isolation like that.

Just a week ago Rotherham got dicked at home by Wycombe.

Good grief, I won't even get started on this one. I most certainly hope they didn't get dicked .

Odd.

Magwitch1

Rotherham is going to be a bit of a strange game, I think both teams will be cautious and the longer it stays level the more cautious they will become obviously both teams want to win but a not lose for either isn’t too bad, better for us obviously, certainly going to be intriguing

clint van damme

Rotherham is going to be a bit of a strange game, I think both teams will be cautious and the longer it stays level the more cautious they will become obviously both teams want to win but a not lose for both isn’t that bad, better for us obviously, certainly going to be intriguing

2nd game in 3 days for them. We need to set a fast tempo.

Greggs

Do Rotheham play 3 or 4 at the back. Oggy came up with a nice stat before the Bristol City game - saying how good our record was against teams who line up with 3 at the back compared to a poor record vs 4.

PVA

@robbiekeane thats an awful lot of words and an awful use of your time to not say a lot.

Are we relegated if we don't win this game? No.

Is it therefore a must win game? No.

You can call it pedantic if you like but you said something that isn't true and you've been pulled up for it.

It's a very fucking nice to win. But not must win. We can still survive with a loss and we can still go down with a win.

stupot07

Do Rotheham play 3 or 4 at the back. Oggy came up with a nice stat before the Bristol City game - saying how good our record was against teams who line up with 3 at the back compared to a poor record vs 4.
Are you sure ita not the other way around? I'm sure he said our record was poor against teams that matched us with 3 at the back but better against 4?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

What a strange hill to die on. You're right. Technically the only "must win" game we will have is the one that by not winning we a mathematically relegated from. I must remember only to say things if it's true it it's most literal meaning from now on.

Let's play your game then shall we on a few of your recent posts:

Technically this isn't true "all day long". It may be the case that rotheram win all of their games in hand. Would the point on the board still then be better than the hypothetical points? I'd say no. Technically doesn't "trump" hypothetical points all day long. Naughty use of hyperbole there.

Is it inevitable? Not sure it is. Think it's entirely possible that you could have a whole squad at the required level to survive, or you let them go mid season. Shouldn't throw such big words around.

Good grief, I won't even get started on this one. I most certainly hope they didn't get dicked .

Odd.

I honestly wouldn't bother. He thinks our recruitment was good this season.

Hertsccfc

Yeah you have to start with the best two forwards we’ve got - they worked well against Bristol
Of course you go with your best players..... except if the're not fit enough. Few would argue against playing Godden if fit, but it's not clear that he is.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

That’s the way you’re framing the argument.

No, I am simply stating that the recruitment this season has not been particularly effective in making us stronger for the championship. If we are paying for players (even if they are for the development team), that still comes out of the budget. I'm not suggesting they won't be good enough, I am just stating that for this season I don't think the signings have been very good.

Users who are viewing this thread