Realistic signings (3 Viewers)

Magwitch

I still think Robins has a number of irons in the fire he obviously had a wish list but things have changed lots of players been released many championship players so he may be re-looking at his list.

Frostie

Every fan always wants better players, and in an idealistic world it would obviously be great to bring in better than what we currently have. But that inevitably comes at a significant cost in wages and/or transfer fees, and given the limited budget we have at our disposal, don't you think that's perhaps a tad unrealistic? Also, why would Robins seek to replace our best players last season? Don't you think the immediate priority is to bridge that gaps left from departures last season and to build a more well-rounded squad to compliment the talent we already have?

I'm sorry but there's no place here for a reasoned, sensible & logical approach!

giphy.gif

Sky Blue Harry H

As we've drawn MK Dons, was just having a look at their 'news' and had forgotten about their forward, Rhys Healey - he was in fantastic form towards the end of last season and is only 25. I think he might be a good one to get hold of if we could?

cc84cov

As we've drawn MK Dons, was just having a look at their 'news' and had forgotten about their forward, Rhys Healey - he was in fantastic form towards the end of last season and is only 25. I think he might be a good one to get hold of if we could?
Is he any better than we already have ?

SlowerThanPlatt

Norwich apparently signing a left back from Villarreal & McCallum out on loan:

Quintilla is reportedly a long-term target for the Canaries and was linked with a move to Carrow Road in January.

City are understood to be in the market for a left-back, with the club already fielding numerous loan enquiries for McCallum.

Gibbo

Every fan always wants better players, and in an idealistic world it would obviously be great to bring in better than what we currently have. But that inevitably comes at a significant cost in wages and/or transfer fees, and given the limited budget we have at our disposal, don't you think that's perhaps a tad unrealistic? Also, why would Robins seek to replace our best players last season? Don't you think the immediate priority is to bridge that gaps left from departures last season and to build a more well-rounded squad to compliment the talent we already have?
In theory, but people on here also seem to not want drop any players as well, hence my initial comment about wanting a team of 14 players!! All I know is
1. The budget is limited - one (poss two) signings. One more loan
2. We have a relatively big squad of lesser players who will do the injury fill ins
3. We are short of quality in three key places, for one of which an option has been identified (Sheaf?). We can make do with the central defence assuming Rose is there, but the biggest problem is a striker.
4. A striker could take all the budget that remains
5. We could be playing behind closed doors - no money.

SeaSeeEffCee

Could definitely do with bringing 3 or 4 more in ASAP. Doesn't really feel like we've strengthen the first XI much from last years which, when we're making the leap from League One to Champ, is probably going to be necessary.

KenilworthSkyBlue

In theory, but people on here also seem to not want drop any players as well, hence my initial comment about wanting a team of 14 players!! All I know is
1. The budget is limited - one (poss two) signings. One more loan
2. We have a relatively big squad of lesser players who will do the injury fill ins
3. We are short of quality in three key places, for one of which an option has been identified (Sheaf?). We can make do with the central defence assuming Rose is there, but the biggest problem is a striker.
4. A striker could take all the budget that remains
5. We could be playing behind closed doors - no money.

From my standpoint I think it's more that they're suggesting it's slightly premature to drop players before the season has even started. At the end of the day no one in the squad has played in the Championship bar McFadz so it's a bit of a lottery to how they're going to perform, that's a given. But taking into account their efforts and performances last season, both Robins and the fans surely owe them the chance to prove they have what it takes to make the step up. We don't have the budget for experienced Championship players so like it or not the squad as it is (not including the new additions likely to come in), is all Robins will have to work from this season. So it's really up to players to show that they deserve to be in the division we're in. The fight they demonstrated time and again in games last season though shows that we certainly won't be a pushover next campaign.

To be fair Robins is quoted in the CT saying that he's actively looking to supplement the striker department and considering we've been linked with strikers throughout the summer it's a safe bet that we'll bring one in. I trust Robins and the scouting department to identify the right target, but we have to respect that on our limited budget his options are obviously relatively limited.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

Could definitely do with bringing 3 or 4 more in ASAP. Doesn't really feel like we've strengthen the first XI much from last years which, when we're making the leap from League One to Champ, is probably going to be necessary.

I'm with Gibbo on this - it'll only be 2 at the most (or at a push 2, plus a loanee). The negative cash flow must be frightening at the moment - I'm sitting here wanting to chuck some money at the club. Hoping they will give me / us the opportunity asap. I see Pompey are selling flexi season tickets, which means fans will be let in on a rota basis (e.g. If crowd is limited to 33% capacity - assuming they sell all tickets) then you would get to see 1 in 3 games!!)

Sky Blue Harry H

I see Wycombe have signed that big lump Ikpeazu from Hearts - formerly Cambridge Utd. A revisit to Akinfenwa tactics!

Cov kid 55

It looks as if Norwich are now about to shell out £5m on a striker from West Ham. A Jordan Hugill, who I’ve never heard of. We’re a way off being able to compete financially with the stronger clubs in the Championship. Still, if this season is about survival, then perhaps we don’t have to compete financially with the Norwich’s of the division?

SlowerThanPlatt

West Ham must be the worst run club in the country in terms of transfers, they spent double that on him and he’s played 22 minutes for them

Cov kid 55

I see that, just read it on Wiki. It also looks as if he might have attitude issues, and a lack of any loyalty? Quick to put in transfer requests. How you can pay £10m for a player (Moyes) and then play him for 22 mins (Moyes), is beyond belief.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I see that, just read it on Wiki. It also looks as if he might have attitude issues, and a lack of any loyalty? Quick to put in transfer requests. How you can pay £10m for a player (Moyes) and then play him for 22 mins (Moyes), is beyond belief.

We are assuming that Moyes (or indeed all managers) have control of signings. To the average fan it seems obvious that the person in charge of the team should be choosing who they want to sign but that isn't necessarily the case.

Sky Blue Harry H

Slightly off piste, St Mirren, 5th in the Scottish PL, have said they are delighted with the capture of proven goalscorer 30yo Kristian Dennis, who has left Notts County, Can you imagine the uproar on here if that's who we'd gone for. Also, without revisiting the old chestnut of the standard of the Scottish PL, outside of the two (main) Glasgow clubs !

Gibbo

From my standpoint I think it's more that they're suggesting it's slightly premature to drop players before the season has even started. At the end of the day no one in the squad has played in the Championship bar McFadz so it's a bit of a lottery to how they're going to perform, that's a given. But taking into account their efforts and performances last season, both Robins and the fans surely owe them the chance to prove they have what it takes to make the step up. We don't have the budget for experienced Championship players so like it or not the squad as it is (not including the new additions likely to come in), is all Robins will have to work from this season. So it's really up to players to show that they deserve to be in the division we're in. The fight they demonstrated time and again in games last season though shows that we certainly won't be a pushover next campaign.

To be fair Robins is quoted in the CT saying that he's actively looking to supplement the striker department and considering we've been linked with strikers throughout the summer it's a safe bet that we'll bring one in. I trust Robins and the scouting department to identify the right target, but we have to respect that on our limited budget his options are obviously relatively limited.
...n the way it was glaringly obvious that Doyle was not up to League 1, but we had to go thro a process of finding out, the outcome of which was very predictable. Don't care how good they were in L 1. My money is that Godden, MacF and Kelly will be found wanting. At the very least Godden needs to be replaced - he'll be fine on the bench

Skybluedownunder

Bristol have signed Joe Williams from Wigan today. Wonder if that means Walsh will drop down the pecking order.

One can only dream but just looked it up and doubt it, they have similar quantities in midfield to what we have... would have been nice though

“He comes in as a ready made replacement to former captain Korey Smith, who departed Ashton Gate last week to join Swansea City, and will add bite and tenacity to the midfield alongside the likes of Adam Nagy, Han-Noah Massengo, Liam Walsh and Joe Morrell.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Not that it’ll happen, but do you reckon we could play Hamer and Walsh or are they too similar?

Dions Dong

Ideally would like to see 4/5 more come in although appreciate it will be dictated by the budget.

1x ...Sheaf/DM ,

I may be dreaming, but even if the rumours about Max arent true I could see us needing 3x strikers

1x a relatively experienced champ striker (most likely dependant on the Wilson cash)
1x young gem similar to Walker
1x prem loan in the Armstrong mold

With those and then Baka/Maxi and Godden that would give us sufficient depth in my opinion.

Although not a necessity , a CB as cover/ depth ideally with some champ experience would help the youngsters and provide more cover for McFad

(appreciate this area isn’t a particular priority)

I also wouldn’t rule out another winger so that Wes and Jodi can fully recover and be bedded back in.

We will never be in for players worth 2 million plus, however with frugal scouting there is no reason why this cannot be achieved with our budget.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I don't see why they couldn't. Both love a tackle, spray the ball around, and can progress it up the pitch - all the qualities you want in a DM.

Only potential downside would be they'd both be very short. But I think I could put up with that as they'd add a lot more. One thing I would say is you'd hope one of them could become the leader. I always think it's important to have a CDM as an organiser. That is where Kelly really shows his value to the team.

Liquid Gold

Ideally would like to see 4/5 more come in although appreciate it will be dictated by the budget.

1x ...Sheaf/DM ,

I may be dreaming, but even if the rumours about Max arent true I could see us needing 3x strikers

1x a relatively experienced champ striker (most likely dependant on the Wilson cash)
1x young gem similar to Walker
1x prem loan in the Armstrong mold

With those and then Baka/Maxi and Godden that would give us sufficient depth in my opinion.

Although not a necessity , a CB as cover/ depth ideally with some champ experience would help the youngsters and provide more cover for McFad

(appreciate this area isn’t a particular priority)

I also wouldn’t rule out another winger so that Wes and Jodi can fully recover and be bedded back in.

We will never be in for players worth 2 million plus, however with frugal scouting there is no reason why this cannot be achieved with our budget.
5 strikers Dion
That’s insane

KenilworthSkyBlue

...n the way it was glaringly obvious that Doyle was not up to League 1, but we had to go thro a process of finding out, the outcome of which was very predictable. Don't care how good they were in L 1. My money is that Godden, MacF and Kelly will be found wanting. At the very least Godden needs to be replaced - he'll be fine on the bench

I mean it's all a game of opinions. But by saying all of the above won't be up to the task next season, I once again go back to my initial point of what's the alternative? Unless he unearths a gem, Robins will struggle to bring in 'better' (on paper anyway) without forking out a significant amount in wages and/or transfer fees - which we quite clearly can't do.

I do appreciate that more depth is going to be needed to supplement the positions of the above mentioned though. I doubt Robins will be bringing them in to sit on the bench so if it turns out Godden, McFadz or Kelly aren't up the task, as shown with Doyle, he won't have any hesitation in dropping them and giving others an opportunity to shine.

Users who are viewing this thread