Realistic signings (2 Viewers)

Greggs

Lockdown caused a particular social circle to meet a little less, so less information I'm afraid.

I dont know anything anymore!
With Oggy at the Open Arms?

KenilworthSkyBlue

Alan Nixon (Sun journalist) has Tweeted that he's reporting on Coventry in the paper tomorrow. Could potentially be an update on Sheaf or perhaps another signing being revealed.

Gibbo

My problem with all the transfer speculation is that we seem to be assuming a team of 14 players. There are gaps - CDM and striker for instance - but nobody seems to want to drop players who were succcesful in L.1. Also we have quite a big squad, so actually have a number of fill ins in case of injury, bearing in mind these players are of necessity not top drawer and have some good youth players staking a claim. A good Championship player is not going to come to City to be a fill in. So talk of 5-6 or six signings is fanciful, we would just be buying no different from what we have already

If we are to make signings then they must be of a quality that improves the first choice eleven, or else why bother? That means some in the current most likly first team will no longer be top choice.

Assumimg we play 3-4-3 as last year, there are three probable weak links - in order of importance - Godden, MacF and Kelly. Sheaf is earmarked for Kelly surely. We need a man who can be lone striker, with Godden as the sub when going two up front. So no Chaplin types-please. This will probably take up most of the budget so Drysdale, Pask and Dacosta to cover MacF.

On the case of Kelly, whom we all like, we need that sort of player but not necessarily Kelly.

Magwitch

My problem with all the transfer speculation is that we seem to be assuming a team of 14 players. There are gaps - CDM and striker for instance - but nobody seems to want to drop players who were succcesful in L.1. Also we have quite a big squad, so actually have a number of fill ins in case of injury, bearing in mind these players are of necessity not top drawer and have some good youth players staking a claim. A good Championship player is not going to come to City to be a fill in. So talk of 5-6 or six signings is fanciful, we would just be buying no different from what we have already

If we are to make signings then they must be of a quality that improves the first choice eleven, or else why bother? That means some in the current most likly first team will no longer be top choice.

Assumimg we play 3-4-3 as last year, there are three probable weak links - in order of importance - Godden, MacF and Kelly. Sheaf is earmarked for Kelly surely. We need a man who can be lone striker, with Godden as the sub when going two up front. So no Chaplin types-please. This will probably take up most of the budget so Drysdale, Pask and Dacosta to cover MacF.

On the case of Kelly, whom we all like, we need that sort of player but not necessarily Kelly.
For some reason Liam Kelly keeps being labelled as a weak link yet on Saturday he came on second half and our defence which I thought first half was a bit ragged, improved. He is so underrated it’s not true.

cc84cov

For some reason Liam Kelly keeps being labelled as a weak link yet on Saturday he came on second half and our defence which I thought first half was a bit ragged, improved. He is so underrated it’s not true.
He’s not underrated mate we all know what he brings to the team the worry is lack of cover in the position Kelly always picks up knocks last season he was in need of a rest we had no1 to cover,we’ve replaced Walsh with hammer but again we haven’t got cover in the position

Magwitch

You are correct he was injured for the first few weeks of the season but once back I don’t remember him missing many if any league games and in most matches played the full 90 minutes.

cc84cov

You are correct he was injured for the first few weeks of the season but once back I don’t remember him missing many if any league games and in most matches played the full 90 minutes.
Yeah he was shattered tho towards the end in need of a break we just had no1 to step in

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I don't see Kelly as a weak link and he is instrumental in being a leader and organiser, but at the same time we can't be relying on him for the entire season. He has a habit of picking up knocks and by the end of the season will be in need of a rest. If at that point we're in a fight near the bottom it'll be difficult so we need someone who can step in at times to give him that rest, with one eye on finding his successor so we can have a steady transition. Sheaf may be that person with us prob keeping an eye of the situations of the Wolves lad and Walsh.

Godden could be OK if we can get a CAM to support him better so he's not so isolated. We weren't exactly free-scoring in L1 and that's only going to get more difficult now. I hope we can bring another decent striker in, even if it's an exciting prospect on loan. I think we're going to have to lose a couple of strikers to allow us to do that though.

Fadz is another who we like the experience and organisation but I think he could prove to be the weak link. He was exposed at times last year and another level up, another year older is not going to do him any favours. I'm hoping that the likes of Hyam and Rose will now have enough experience to begin taking over that leadership and I think Pask has the ability and athleticism to take over. Drysdale and Williams need more time to develop and a loan out to L2 ideally (certainly no lower than Conf)

SBT

Robins has made loads of signings every year he's been at the club, and has shown he doesn't mind being ruthless in terms of dropping loyal servants who've done well in seasons past. I don't see why he would stop now, especially now we've gone up a division.

Even with the decent amount of signings we've made already, our starting XI is essentially the same as it was against Ipswich in March. If Giles and Hamer aren't better than McCallum and Walsh then it might actually be worse. If we want to really move to another level, that needs to change, and I think it will between now and Sep 12.

Magwitch

Yeah he was shattered tho towards the end in need of a break we just had no1 to step in
Some players give that appearance remember Chris Waddle he looked shattered running out the tunnel to me Kelly is on of those players who obviously won’t win the 100 metre sprints but will be plodding on as fast at the end of a game as was at the beginning. Think he wins the shuttles though in training more often than not, that was on video recently.

fernandopartridge

I don't see Kelly as a weak link and he is instrumental in being a leader and organiser, but at the same time we can't be relying on him for the entire season. He has a habit of picking up knocks and by the end of the season will be in need of a rest. If at that point we're in a fight near the bottom it'll be difficult so we need someone who can step in at times to give him that rest, with one eye on finding his successor so we can have a steady transition. Sheaf may be that person with us prob keeping an eye of the situations of the Wolves lad and Walsh.

Godden could be OK if we can get a CAM to support him better so he's not so isolated. We weren't exactly free-scoring in L1 and that's only going to get more difficult now. I hope we can bring another decent striker in, even if it's an exciting prospect on loan. I think we're going to have to lose a couple of strikers to allow us to do that though.

Fadz is another who we like the experience and organisation but I think he could prove to be the weak link. He was exposed at times last year and another level up, another year older is not going to do him any favours. I'm hoping that the likes of Hyam and Rose will now have enough experience to begin taking over that leadership and I think Pask has the ability and athleticism to take over. Drysdale and Williams need more time to develop and a loan out to L2 ideally (certainly no lower than Conf)

Kelly and McFadzean were both crucial last season. McFadz was one of our most consistent performers post December.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Kelly and McFadzean were both crucial last season. McFadz was one of our most consistent performers post December.

This is a different level and the speed and pressing goes up a notch and Fadz with another year in the legs is going to be targeted by opposition managers IMO. I can't see us controlling games to the extent we did last year that IMO allowed Fadz to become that consistent performer because he wasn't being pressured as much as teams were scared of us by then.

Kelly I agree could be instrumental in the middle but we have to be mindful he tends to pick up the odd injury and so will need to have someone able to step in. Esp so if Hamer picks up yellow cards and suspensions as has been suggested he might.

KenilworthSkyBlue

This is a different level and the speed and pressing goes up a notch and Fadz with another year in the legs is going to be targeted by opposition managers IMO. I can't see us controlling games to the extent we did last year that IMO allowed Fadz to become that consistent performer because he wasn't being pressured as much as teams were scared of us by then.

Kelly I agree could be instrumental in the middle but we have to be mindful he tends to pick up the odd injury and so will need to have someone able to step in. Esp so if Hamer picks up yellow cards and suspensions as has been suggested he might.

I think that's probably why Robins is keen on recruiting another CDM. Kelly is clearly prone to picking up the odd injury - and I'm convinced at times over the past few seasons he's played a fair few games whilst carrying a niggle. So, by bringing in either Sheaf or Otasowie, the extra cover will only serve to benefit him as well as the team, as it will actually give Kelly time to recover properly and come back 100% fit.

cc84cov

I think that's probably why Robins is keen on recruiting another CDM. Kelly is clearly prone to picking up the odd injury - and I'm convinced at times over the past few seasons he's played a fair few games whilst carrying a niggle. So, by bringing in either Sheaf or Otasowie, the extra cover will only serve to benefit him as well as the team, as it will actually give Kelly time to recover properly and come back 100% fit.
Sheaf won’t be coming here to sit on the bench he’s coming here to play if he does come that is,Hamer & Kelly will have their work cut out to keep their place.

Gibbo

in which case why are people clamouring for a CDM? It can't be Hamer to go, sothat leaves Kelly.

Gibbo

He’s not underrated mate we all know what he brings to the team the worry is lack of cover in the position Kelly always picks up knocks last season he was in need of a rest we had no1 to cover,we’ve replaced Walsh with hammer but again we haven’t got cover in the position
we don't want cover, we want better

fernandopartridge

Listen to what the other players say about McFadz, he will start. He's one of few players in the squad who has even played at that level.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Sheaf won’t be coming here to sit on the bench he’s coming here to play if he does come that is,Hamer & Kelly will have their work cut out to keep their place.

I can't see Kelly playing second fiddle, not initially anyway. His experience and what he brings to the side is invaluable. Whoever is set to come in, they'll also need to prove that not only are they the better option in that particular position and good enough to take the shirt off the club captain who has pretty much been indispensable for us for the past two years, but they'll also need to show that they'll offer more for the team on the pitch. Kelly will obviously have to prove his worth. Robins has shown that in the past he isn't afraid to drop the usual starters if their form dips. But I find it difficult to believe Sheaf (or whoever) is being brought in to directly replace probably one of our most consistent players, before the season has even begun.

Also, both Sheaf and Otasowie can both play as a CDM and a CB, so given the likelihood of injuries, suspensions and the need for rotation, I doubt that whoever comes in, will be doing much bench sitting.

Last edited:

Gibbo

Listen to what the other players say about McFadz, he will start. He's one of few players in the squad who has even played at that level.
All of which takes me back to the question I started with. No point in signing squad players as we already have a lot, and nobody seems to want to replace the ones most likely to struggle in the Chamionship. In which case there is no case for new signings.....but we seem to want new signings.

Gibbo

My own bet is that by Christmas, Godden, MacF and Kelly will either be on the bench or about to be replaced in the January window (but then I saw Dabo at the Swindon friendly last year and thought he was a booking/sending off waiting to happen-so I know nothing....)

KenilworthSkyBlue

All of which takes me back to the question I started with. No point in signing squad players as we already have a lot, and nobody seems to want to replace the ones most likely to struggle in the Chamionship. In which case there is no case for new signings.....but we seem to want new signings.

Robins has reiterated that strength in depth will be vital in coping with the demands of the Championship this season. By signing Sheaf (or an alternative if we miss out), that provides depth to a position where we've long been thin. I personally wouldn't call that pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread