Realistic signings (3 Viewers)

Dions Dong

5 strikers Dion
Thatā€™s insane

Howā€™s that insane? Arguably the same amount as last season...you seriously donā€™t have a clue

we got rid of Hiwula, Ponti, and potentially Max if rumours are to be believed.

What if Godden gets injured again?...not sure I would be happy with Baka on his own, but yeah ok letā€™s assume they will play 40+ games without injury

This season is all about depth and the ability to go to a different system if needed (442).

So no itā€™s not insane
Ā 

KenilworthSkyBlue

Ideally would like to see 4/5 more come in although appreciate it will be dictated by the budget.

1x ...Sheaf/DM ,

I may be dreaming, but even if the rumours about Max arent true I could see us needing 3x strikers

1x a relatively experienced champ striker (most likely dependant on the Wilson cash)
1x young gem similar to Walker
1x prem loan in the Armstrong mold

With those and then Baka/Maxi and Godden that would give us sufficient depth in my opinion.

Although not a necessity , a CB as cover/ depth ideally with some champ experience would help the youngsters and provide more cover for McFad

(appreciate this area isnā€™t a particular priority)

I also wouldnā€™t rule out another winger so that Wes and Jodi can fully recover and be bedded back in.

We will never be in for players worth 2 million plus, however with frugal scouting there is no reason why this cannot be achieved with our budget.

You're definitely dreaming! Why would players come here to literally not play and sit on the bench?

I think Robins is looking at bringing in 2-3 more players. Not including any U23 signings. ST, CDM and potentially a versatile defender.
Ā 

DannyThomas_1981

...n the way it was glaringly obvious that Doyle was not up to League 1, but we had to go thro a process of finding out, the outcome of which was very predictable. Don't care how good they were in L 1. My money is that Godden, MacF and Kelly will be found wanting. At the very least Godden needs to be replaced - he'll be fine on the bench

Godden was brilliant in the final third of last season once he was over a niggling injury and back to full fitness. Dynamic all round game and a top class finisher. Playing up front alone is one of the hardest positions on the pitch. I don't see that he needs to be replaced and go onto the bench.

Kelly similarly - played much of last season with an injury for the good of the team. I'd like to see what he can do in the level above when he's back to full fitness; but I agree always good to have options as we can't afford to rely on him so much this time around and play every game.

McFadz; one of our key leaders. Always more confident when he's out there on the pitch to command the area. He'll play a big part this season.
Ā 

Dions Dong

You're definitely dreaming! Why would players come here to literally not play and sit on the bench?

I think Robins is potentially looking at bringing in 2-3 more players. Not including any U23 signings. ST, CDM and potentially a versatile defender.
Who says they would be on the bench, we need a full squad ideally with championship quality. At the moment we have literally one player who has played there and we are assuming people will make the step up
Ā 

Dions Dong

He's actually saying 6 strikers... All competing for 1 place in the team šŸ˜³

No Iā€™m not, itā€™s about options, and who says we will stick with one up top all season?

We had the following last year
Hiwula
Baka
Godden
Biamou
Ponti (although loaned out)

so that was 5 options, and no one complained.

I clearly said on my post dependant on the Wilson money we could get another, as my post clearly states.

Depth is key and at the moment we have none,

A strike force that bar Godden (whose goals are inflated somewhat by two hat tricks) is seriously lacking firepower.

I stress I rate Godden , but you cannot expect him to carry the team again in a higher league, he will need help.
Ā 

Frostie

No Iā€™m not, itā€™s about options, and who says we will stick with one up top all season?

We had the following last year
Hiwula
Baka
Godden
Biamou
Ponti (although loaned out)

so that was 5 options, and no one complained.

I clearly said on my post dependant on the Wilson money we could get another, as my post clearly states.

Depth is key and at the moment we have none,

A strike force that bar Godden (whose goals are inflated somewhat by two hat tricks) is seriously lacking firepower.

I stress I rate Godden , but you cannot expect him to carry the team again in a higher league, he will need help.

Ponti was out on loan & then injured, Hiwula played on the wing so we had 3 strikers for 1 starting role.

I think 4 strikers for our system is ample so as it stands we definitely need 1 more - which will give us the flexibility to play 2 up as required. Preferably he would be of a more proven quality of course but that might just be unrealistic with our budget.
If Max does move on then 1 signing plus 1 loanee would be fine - I think Baka & Godden could perform at Championship level but we'll see.
Ā 

cooperskyblue

Howā€™s that insane? Arguably the same amount as last season...you seriously donā€™t have a clue

we got rid of Hiwula, Ponti, and potentially Max if rumours are to be believed.

What if Godden gets injured again?...not sure I would be happy with Baka on his own, but yeah ok letā€™s assume they will play 40+ games without injury

This season is all about depth and the ability to go to a different system if needed (442).

So no itā€™s not insane
Depth isn't key, strength in depth is. I see what you are saying but 2 strikers coming in would be enough. Godden, Baka and 2 more of quality would be enough. (Assuming Biamou is leaving) 4 strikers is absolutely enough. 5 is overkill in my opinion when we have young Bapaga. It's about quality not quantity.

I'd even argue that last year we had 3 strikers (Godden, Baka, Max) as Hiwula played on the left in the 433 and then never got a look in when having 1 up top.
Ā 

KenilworthSkyBlue

Who says they would be on the bench, we need a full squad ideally with championship quality. At the moment we have literally one player who has played there and we are assuming people will make the step up

We use a system that features one striker. Before we even touch on the topic of budget, why would players come here knowing that they may not be guaranteed minutes due to having to compete with four other players in the same position and - because of this exact same reason - why would a player's parent club be willing to send him out on loan to a club that can't guarantee game time?

For all parties involved the notion of Robins bringing in three more strikers is both counterproductive and senseless.
Ā 

Dions Dong

I think Robins is looking at bringing in 2-3 more players. Not including any U23 signings. ST, CDM and potentially a versatile defender.
We use a system that features one striker. Before we even touch on the topic of budget, why would players come here knowing that they may not be guaranteed minutes due to having to compete with four other players in the same position and - because of this exact same reason - why would a player's parent club be willing to send him out on loan to a club that can't guarantee game time?

For all parties involved the notion of Robins bringing in three more strikers is both counterproductive and senseless.
So under your logic Players who are signed should just be guaranteed game time? Competition for places breeds a good work ethic and good results. I am fully aware of the system we prefer, alternatively we need a plan b, plan c otherwise we will get found out.

Not rocket science really.

As I said three strikers would depend on the Wilson money, but even if Biamou was to stay or leave it isnā€™t unrealistic if you factor in our yearly injuries etc (I mean we have had 2x ACL injuries for the past three seasons)

Itā€™s also laughable that people assume Biamou a striker who letā€™s not forget was playing non league football 4 years ago will automatically make it as a championship striker.

bakas goal scoring isnā€™t great either , but letā€™s gloss over that and assume itā€™s ok.
Ā 
Last edited:

Dions Dong

Depth isn't key, strength in depth is. I see what you are saying but 2 strikers coming in would be enough. Godden, Baka and 2 more of quality would be enough. (Assuming Biamou is leaving) 4 strikers is absolutely enough. 5 is overkill in my opinion when we have young Bapaga. It's about quality not quantity.

I'd even argue that last year we had 3 strikers (Godden, Baka, Max) as Hiwula played on the left in the 433 and then never got a look in when having 1 up top.
Sorry if I wasnā€™t clear Iā€™m not saying quantity over quality, I do mean strength in depth and in the striker department we simply donā€™t have it yet (in my opinion)

Two strikers could be sufficient but like I said, with the Wilson money (if it arrives) you could make a case for 3....I stress could.

Im not convinced Baka and Biamou are the answer but I wonā€™t write them off. We need to score more goals and cannot rely on 1-0 wins in a higher league where the standard and finishing is higher
Ā 

cc84cov

My worry with Godden is when we played blues he struggled physically & with speed in the champ they are all big strong & quick we have to bring someone in which I do think will happen
Ā 

Ccfcisparks

Sorry if I wasnā€™t clear Iā€™m not saying quantity over quality, I do mean strength in depth and in the striker department we simply donā€™t have it yet (in my opinion)

Two strikers could be sufficient but like I said, with the Wilson money (if it arrives) you could make a case for 3....I stress could.

Im not convinced Baka and Biamou are the answer but I wonā€™t write them off. We need to score more goals and cannot rely on 1-0 wins in a higher league where the standard and finishing is higher
Can you name me 4 strikers we could sign on our budget who would be better than what we have
Ā 

Sky Blue Harry H

No Iā€™m advocating having squad depth , not going gung ho and all out attack.

At the moment we have literally no striker depth at all , all our strikers are unproven.

Was Joking DD - I get your point, although I'm not concerned about a fit Godden who, given service, will score goals. Give me a Godden with Usain Bolt's pace and I''d stick a tenner on the play offs!
Ā 

TomRad85

I mentioned it much much earlier in this thread but I'd check with Brentford and see how much they'd let Marcus Forss go for.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Ā 

Sky Blue Harry H

Whoever we get as a new striker, I really hope they present a decent aerial threat. Looking at the crosses Giles (in particular) was getting in, we really could do with someone getting on the end of a few of them.
Ā 

cc84cov

Whoever we get as a new striker, I really hope they present a decent aerial threat. Looking at the crosses Giles (in particular) was getting in, we really could do with someone getting on the end of a few of them.
Would love Chris Martin getting on the end of them balls all gone quiet lately hoping we make some signings over the next 10 days
Ā 

shmmeee

Hoping itā€™s like last season and we bring our main goal scorer in late. Still over a month to go.
Ā 

Dions Dong

Can you name me 4 strikers we could sign on our budget who would be better than what we have
Itā€™s all subjective and cannot really be answered because we donā€™t know what the budget is?

I would argue (and itā€™s my opinion) that Tyler Walker would be a decent addition, heā€™s come from the champ has scored in multiple leagues consistently and in terms of pedigree is better than Baka and Biamou.

others who could be available and would be equally as good for differing reasons

Kayden Jackson
Cauley Woodrow
James Collins

The beauty about MR is that he tends to pick people that no one had heard of and more than likely they work. Even Chaplin wasnā€™t a complete disaster (we just didnā€™t play to a formation which worked for him) he proved that with Barnsley this year he was more than capable of 10-15 goals.

with our style of play we need multiple players getting 6-10 goals (ish) a season rather than relying on a sole 20 goal a season striker who not only cost the earth, but are a rare find cheaply.

I trust MR to bring in the right players regardless of whether they are ā€œa nameā€ or not
Ā 

Sky Blue Harry H

Hoping itā€™s like last season and we bring our main goal scorer in late. Still over a month to go.

I'm thinking the late signings are more likely to be any loan players, apart from those whose agents are angling for Ā£10k plus a week, before realising it's now a different world and dropping demands towards the end of the window!
Ā 

KenilworthSkyBlue

Not an unrealistic amount and I could see that but we need more thay i

So under your logic Players who are signed should just be guaranteed game time? Competition for places breeds a good work ethic and good results. I am fully aware of the system we prefer, alternatively we need a plan b, plan c otherwise we will get found out.

Not rocket science really.

As I said three strikers would depend on the Wilson money, but even if Biamou was to stay or leave it isnā€™t unrealistic if you factor in our yearly injuries etc (I mean we have had 2x ACL injuries for the past three seasons)

Itā€™s also laughable that people assume Biamou a striker who letā€™s not forget was playing non league football 4 years ago will automatically make it as a championship striker.

bakas goal scoring isnā€™t great either , but letā€™s gloss over that and assume itā€™s ok.

Unless they're being brought in primarily for the U23s, then yes. Otherwise what's the point in signing that many strikers? It's senseless for the reasons I've already previously stated.

Why don't you consider it unrealistic? It's five first-team players vying for one position. I certainly agree that competition for places is great for keeping players on their toes but I just can't fathom why you think as many as five first team strikers would be needed to achieve that.

Granted, Robins will inevitably have a 'Plan B' formation in mind, but I think he'll use either the same system or a slight modification of the same formation used at the beginning of last season - which once again features only the one striker. So, at most I can only envisage Robins bringing in a striker, and maybe a versatile forward who can fill in as a striker where necessary.

I highly doubt Robins is going to spend any potential funds received from the Wilson sell-on clause on strikers he doesn't need - and that's assuming any of it will be allocated to the playing budget in this window.
Ā 

Dions Dong

Unless they're being brought in primarily for the U23s, then yes. Otherwise what's the point in signing that many strikers? It's senseless for the reasons I've already previously stated.

Why don't you consider it unrealistic? It's five first-team players vying for one position. I certainly agree that competition for places is great for keeping players on their toes but I just can't fathom why you think as many as five first team strikers would be needed to achieve that.

Granted, Robins will inevitably have a 'Plan B' formation in mind, but I think he'll use either the same system or a slight modification of the same formation used at the beginning of last season - which once again features only the one striker. So, at most I can only envisage Robins bringing in a striker, and maybe a versatile forward who can fill in as a striker where necessary.

I highly doubt Robins is going to spend any potential funds received from the Wilson sell-on clause on strikers he doesn't need - and that's assuming any of it will be allocated to the playing budget in this window.
I understand your view but you canā€™t look at the strikers situation to narrowly. By saying itā€™s 5/6 players for one position is doing exactly that, Iā€™m saying we need squad depth, competition and the ability to have the strikers available to cover injuries, formation changes etc. At the moment we have no striker who has played at this Champ level
Ā 

shmmeee

I'm thinking the late signings are more likely to be any loan players, apart from those whose agents are angling for Ā£10k plus a week, before realising it's now a different world and dropping demands towards the end of the window!

Also clubs who manage to bag a signing and decide someone else can now leave.
Ā 

KenilworthSkyBlue

I understand your view but you canā€™t look at the strikers situation to narrowly. By saying itā€™s 5/6 players for one position is doing exactly that, Iā€™m saying we need squad depth, competition and the ability to have the strikers available to cover injuries, formation changes etc. At the moment we have no striker who has played at this Champ level

With respect, I don't think me looking at the striker situation narrowly is necessarily the issue here. You quite clearly communicated that we required 3 more strikers on top of the 3 we already have in order to improve depth. (Granted Biamou is probably set to be moved on). Fair enough, that's your opinion. But what I'm attempting to get across is that unless Robins is planning on playing musical chairs with the striking department or has had a premonition of an impending injury plague affecting only our strikers, then the fact remains it's highly unlikely he'll be be bringing as many as 3 through the door - even if he had the budget to do so.

Past evidence suggests we will probably have 3 first team strikers. Last season and the season before supports this. Not sure why Robins is therefore going to suddenly supplement the squad with strikers as the past two seasons prove this would be fairly uncharacteristic.

But no player in the entirety of the squad except McFadz has played in the Championship before. Hence why I'm struggling to understand why you're getting so hung up on just strikers specifically?
Ā 
Last edited:

shmmeee

With respect, I don't think me looking at the striker situation narrowly is necessarily the issue here. You quite clearly communicated that we required 3 more strikers on top of the 3 we already have in order to improve depth. (Granted Biamou is probably set to be moved on). Fair enough, that's your opinion. But what I'm attempting to get across is that unless Robins is planning on playing musical chairs with the striking department or has had a premonition of an impending injury plague affecting only our strikers, then the fact remains it's highly unlikely he'll be be bringing as many as 3 through the door - even if he had the budget to do so.

Past evidence suggests we will probably have 3 first team strikers. Last season and the season before that supports this. Not sure why Robins is therefore going to suddenly supplement the squad with strikers as the past two seasons prove this would be fairly uncharacteristic.

But no player in the entirety of the squad except McFadz has played in the Championship before. Hence why I'm struggling to understand why you're getting so hung up on just strikers specifically?

Allen too.
Ā 

Frostie

Being totally pedantic McFadz, Kelly, Allen, Godden, Wilson & O'Hare have all played in the Championship - limited appearances admittedly.
Brandon Mason has played in the Premier League.

But your point still stands, there's very limited Championship experience there but then a lot of players were unproven in League 1 too.
Ā 

Dions Dong

Past evidence suggests we will probably have 3 first team strikers. Last season and the season before that supports this. Not sure why Robins is therefore going to suddenly supplement the squad with strikers as the past two seasons prove this would be fairly uncharacteristic.

Iā€™m hung up on strikers specifically because looking at the rest of the squad in terms of depth I think we have sufficient quality to start the championship. The signings made to date are decent enough to give us options along with the players already on the books.

The strikers we have at present Leading us into the current campaign are not comparibly good enough (in my opinion) in terms of depth to make the step up which is why I am ā€œhung upā€ on strikers.

Or shall we just keep signing midfielders?
Ā 

Users who are viewing this thread