Realistic signings (3 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

All of which takes me back to the question I started with. No point in signing squad players as we already have a lot, and nobody seems to want to replace the ones most likely to struggle in the Chamionship. In which case there is no case for new signings.....but we seem to want new signings.

That's working on the assumption that signing a 22 year old is just for the sake of a single season

SlowerThanPlatt

Game management .
Huge for the last couple of seasons .
Shut down the first half
Nick it in the second.

Yes but now we’re going up to a level where you expect clean sheets to be a rarity as one of the weakest sides so we need more goals to win games

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Listen to what the other players say about McFadz, he will start. He's one of few players in the squad who has even played at that level.

Doesn't matter. If he's being exploited by the opposition you can't afford that weak link regardless of what the players think or the help he provides them. Doyle helped the players through with his leadership but ended up having to be dropped because he just wasn't up to L1 pace.

He may have played Championship but it was a few seasons ago and his team ended up getting relegated.

fernandopartridge

Doesn't matter. If he's being exploited by the opposition you can't afford that weak link regardless of what the players think or the help he provides them. Doyle helped the players through with his leadership but ended up having to be dropped because he just wasn't up to L1 pace.

He may have played Championship but it was a few seasons ago and his team ended up getting relegated.
No evidence he's a weak link, he made a few mistakes early season, don't recall him being done for pace due to his positioning. It makes me laugh that he's cited as a weak link yet Hyam nor Rose have even played at that level, and pace wise Hyam got destroyed v Yeovil that time (Hyam has improved a lot since then).

Frostie

No evidence he's a weak link, he made a few mistakes early season, don't recall him being done for pace due to his positioning. It makes me laugh that he's cited as a weak link yet Hyam nor Rose have even played at that level, and pace wise Hyam got destroyed v Yeovil that time (Hyam has improved a lot since then).

Correct.

Playing the back 3 offers each of them a level of protection, particularly McFadz as the centre of the 3. He has more time on the ball & his lack of pace can be covered for. On a related note it's why I think Pask would be great in the 3 with that extra turn of pace to help cover.

Remember that before McFadz one of our biggest complaints for years was that we were consistently dominated physically, particularly in the air. That changed last season because of him.

no_loyalty

Nico Williams on loan from Liverpool, could do with another RB if Da Costa is out long term, as Pask doesn't look comfortable playing there.

junglej13

It seems Ike Ugbo is on his way out of Chelsea on loan to Belgian club Cercle Brugge. Apparently with an option to buy him for £4.5m.

skylark37

A name popped into my head the other day when I was wondering 'what if we miss out on Sheaf'...Trevoh Chalobah. What's annoying is I've just read he's about to sign on loan for Lorient in Ligue 1.

Only just turned 21
6 foot 3 defensive midfielder / defender
Chelsea academy player (so surely some links there with AV)
Championship experience, 2018-19 with Ipswich (relegated), 2019-20 with Huddersfield (in a relegation scrap)
Has represented England from Under 16 - under 21 level...

Would surely have ticked a lot of boxes.

skylark37

...I meant for a loan deal rather than a permanent.

There's got to be a fair few Chelsea youngsters who would want Championship experience. I wonder how many of them would have clauses in contracts for a certain number of appearances though. Wasn't Dujon Sterling rumoured to have this during his loan to us?

cc84cov

A name popped into my head the other day when I was wondering 'what if we miss out on Sheaf'...Trevoh Chalobah. What's annoying is I've just read he's about to sign on loan for Lorient in Ligue 1.

Only just turned 21
6 foot 3 defensive midfielder / defender
Chelsea academy player (so surely some links there with AV)
Championship experience, 2018-19 with Ipswich (relegated), 2019-20 with Huddersfield (in a relegation scrap)
Has represented England from Under 16 - under 21 level...

Would surely have ticked a lot of boxes.
Problem is can we afford these lads ? Robins was promised the McCallum Money we’ve spent that on Hamer,I don’t think their is much in the pot to go out and sign players

skylark37

Problem is can we afford these lads ? Robins was promised the McCallum Money we’ve spent that on Hamer,I don’t think their is much in the pot to go out and sign players

True, but would a couple of loans from premier league academies be all that expensive? Yes some of them will be on ridiculous money for their age but you'd think there would be some that weren't. Also I wonder if we could play some kind of "We can't afford to pay his wages but he'll be joining a footballing side oh go on Frank there's been a pandemic, be nice" card?

skylark37

Oliver Skipp has gone to Norwich on loan from Spurs for a loan fee believed to be £1m. That’s about as much as we can spend on a permanent player

Yes but Skipp actually broke through into the spurs first team. There will be Chelsea players who have been out to Holland a la Fankaty and want/need first team experience in England. Also Spurs would have known Norwich could afford to pay the 1m.

SlowerThanPlatt

Yes but Skipp actually broke through into the spurs first team. There will be Chelsea players who have been out to Holland a la Fankaty and want/need first team experience in England. Also Spurs would have known Norwich could afford to pay the 1m.

I looked through the players they had out on loan and can’t see anyone that is realistic/would be good enough. I’m not sure there is much of a link with Chelsea anyway, we’ve had one loan signing in 2 and a half years. Seems to be more with Wolves

mr_monkey

I looked through the players they had out on loan and can’t see anyone that is realistic/would be good enough. I’m not sure there is much of a link with Chelsea anyway, we’ve had one loan signing in 2 and a half years. Seems to be more with Wolves

Wasn't Wakefield from Chelsea as well

BornSlippySkyBlue

Oliver Skipp has gone to Norwich on loan from Spurs for a loan fee believed to be £1m. That’s about as much as we can spend on a permanent player
How much do we think Skipp’s wages would be? Because that’s £40k+ a week. In the championship. For a loan player. Incredible. And shows what we are up against this season.

fernandopartridge

There is no link with Chelsea, there is a bit of knowledge in Viveash of players Chelsea have had I think

Gibbo

Robins has reiterated that strength in depth will be vital in coping with the demands of the Championship this season. By signing Sheaf (or an alternative if we miss out), that provides depth to a position where we've long been thin. I personally wouldn't call that pointless.
It's others who don't want favourite players to be replaced, not me. I think we need better quality than Kelly (Sheaf?) MacF & Godden

AFCCOVENTRY

Like every year signing a striker will come at the back end of the transfer window. As will the better loan players. You have to remember the Premiership season only finished a few weeks back now, as well as the championship. What we need are some experienced Championship players. Obviously they won’t be current regular first team players but ones on the fringes looking for game time.

We need another quality CB, CDM, Striker at least.

Mucca Mad Boys

There you go we’re competing with teams we can’t get close to financially.

Competing in what sense though? Whilst we're in the same league, we're not going to be competing with them for league position...

The goal for us is to establish ourselves as a Championship team and build year-on-year and the budget will grow alongside that (hopefully).

KenilworthSkyBlue

It's others who don't want favourite players to be replaced, not me. I think we need better quality than Kelly (Sheaf?) MacF & Godden

Every fan always wants better players, and in an idealistic world it would obviously be great to bring in better than what we currently have. But that inevitably comes at a significant cost in wages and/or transfer fees, and given the limited budget we have at our disposal, don't you think that's perhaps a tad unrealistic? Also, why would Robins seek to replace our best players last season? Don't you think the immediate priority is to bridge that gaps left from departures last season and to build a more well-rounded squad to compliment the talent we already have?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread