Realistic signings (6 Viewers)

KenilworthSkyBlue

Being totally pedantic McFadz, Kelly, Allen, Godden, Wilson & O'Hare have all played in the Championship - limited appearances admittedly.
Brandon Mason has played in the Premier League.

But your point still stands, there's very limited Championship experience there but then a lot of players were unproven in League 1 too.

Fair enough I probably should've done my research before making that comment! Apart from Allen (whose time at Burton slipped my mind admittedly) and McFadz, limited appearances like you said.

shmmeee

Unless we sell Godden to a L1 side for a couple of mill, or Wilson goes for £30m and not the £15m rumoured, I can’t see us getting anyone better in for that role TBH. Would Walker fit the one up role? Not sure.

I honestly think our system and style of play doesn’t lend itself to strikers scoring loads. I’d rather we got a solid CB in and someone like Sheaf if there’s money to spend. I’m more worried the defence won’t hold up.

KenilworthSkyBlue

I’m hung up on strikers specifically because looking at the rest of the squad in terms of depth I think we have sufficient quality to start the championship. The signings made to date are decent enough to give us options along with the players already on the books.

The strikers we have at present Leading us into the current campaign are not comparibly good enough (in my opinion) in terms of depth to make the step up which is why I am “hung up” on strikers.

Or shall we just keep signing midfielders?

By your logic yes if we need 5 players competing per position!

Skybluefaz

Unless we sell Godden to a L1 side for a couple of mill, or Wilson goes for £30m and not the £15m rumoured, I can’t see us getting anyone better in for that role TBH. Would Walker fit the one up role? Not sure.

I honestly think our system and style of play doesn’t lend itself to strikers scoring loads. I’d rather we got a solid CB in and someone like Sheaf if there’s money to spend. I’m more worried the defence won’t hold up.
No doubt we are in a weird position. Great to be in the Championship but we can't pay the silly money that the top end clubs do for the likes of Jordan Rhodes for example. It'd be great to snag someone on loan with a track record of sorts, I don't know where Jack Marriott sits in the pecking order at Derby but him on loan would be great. Other than that I think we need to try and pick a diamond from the rough. A Jobello type signing that may pay off big.

shmmeee

No doubt we are in a weird position. Great to be in the Championship but we can't pay the silly money that the top end clubs do for the likes of Jordan Rhodes for example. It'd be great to snag someone on loan with a track record of sorts, I don't know where Jack Marriott sits in the pecking order at Derby but him on loan would be great. Other than that I think we need to try and pick a diamond from the rough. A Jobello type signing that may pay off big.

Someone like Ugbo might have been good, but you’re still probably talking millions in loan fees and wages.

I’d like to see us bring someone in don’t get me wrong. I just don’t expect them to be a massive upgrade out the box.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Agreed. Pask and Drysdale are exciting prospects, but I'd be hesitant to put faith in them to perform week in, week out at this level if we were unfortunate enough to suffer long term injuries to our starting CB's.

Sheaf can obviously play as a makeshift CB if necessary. But I also feel that we need further cover.

cc84cov

I’m hung up on strikers specifically because looking at the rest of the squad in terms of depth I think we have sufficient quality to start the championship. The signings made to date are decent enough to give us options along with the players already on the books.

The strikers we have at present Leading us into the current campaign are not comparibly good enough (in my opinion) in terms of depth to make the step up which is why I am “hung up” on strikers.

Or shall we just keep signing midfielders?
We need more wingers & attacking midfielders mate

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Agreed. Pask and Drysdale are exciting prospects, but I'd be hesitant to put faith in them to perform week in, week out at this level if we were unfortunate enough to suffer long term injuries to our starting CB's.

Sheaf can obviously play as a makeshift CB if necessary. But I also feel that we need further cover.

Pask would've been a lot more involved last season if it weren't for injuries. He's much further ahead in his development than Drysdale. Drysdale is U23 squad, Pask most definitely first team squad. Certainly have him playing in his natural position over Sheaf playing slightly out of position every day. Sheaf himself is still inexperienced despite his loan last year.

Magwitch

Looks that way I don’t see us spending anymore
This close season has gone almost exactly the same as last a number of early signings then lots of rumours and with the new season on us Robins brought three Godden, O’Hare and Walsh all main players. Six weeks until the transfer window closes on October 5th and I’m certain he will be active transfer/signing wise right up to that point lets remember apart from Kasteneer all were positive signings and the return of Jones and Lobello are like two new signings, have patience and faith.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Pask would've been a lot more involved last season if it weren't for injuries. He's much further ahead in his development than Drysdale. Drysdale is U23 squad, Pask most definitely first team squad. Certainly have him playing in his natural position over Sheaf playing slightly out of position every day. Sheaf himself is still inexperienced despite his loan last year.

Yeah I agree that Pask would probably have to be used over Sheaf (or whoever) given that CB is his natural position. But I think regardless of who starts over who, you can appreciate that collectively the experience just isn't there yet.

Therefore, the point remains really. I still think ideally we could do with further cover defensively, as in my opinion the numbers are still slightly on the thin side even with a versatile CDM/CB potentially coming in.

I can potentially see Drysdale and/or Williams being loaned out to gain first-team experience as well. I'm not sure how much of a benefit playing the majority of the season in the U23s would be for their development at this stage of their careers.

Last edited:

Legia Sky Blue

Regarding the various comments about needing more experienced extra defensive cover, I honestly don't see the point unless it is a player expected to be a regular starter. We have Pask, Drysdale, Williams and even Thompson already at the club as back up and if you take the viewpoint that we can't play these because of their inexperience to its logical conclusion you get to realise that view is nonsensical. Until young players are given their chance as 1st teamers we will never learn if they are good enough. If MR believes they are ready and good enough then that's fine by me. Every player has to start somewhere!

TomRad85

Here's one... Macauly Bonne from Charlton. Had a good season and they'll probably be needing to sell.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Harry H

Here's one... Macauly Bonne from Charlton. Had a good season and they'll probably be needing to sell.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Haven't seen a lot of him, but bagged a few iirc? Not a bad shout. I'm still keen on the MK forward (who's that good his name's gone out of my head😂)

Winny the Bish

Came across this on Twitter:

Recommends a striker from Romania called Gabriel Iancu: 6'2, good link-up play, can drop deep and scored 20 goals in 31 games this season. Anyone have Badlan's email? 👀

Dions Dong

I thought the main reason he went to Lincoln was because he wanted to play with his best mate Jorge Grant?

either way would prefer a permanent deal, but a good addition if it comes off on loan or otherwisw

Users who are viewing this thread