Match Thread Reading (5 Viewers)

Londonccfcfan

So looking at the seating .. yea I'm confident the attendance will be 17000 with walk up
I'd be impressed with 16000 home fans. That would be a great sign going forward.

Think it will be sub 16000 total. Which still is very decent.

cc84cov

does that mean there's no place for Jake Clarke-Salter??

giphy.gif

Gibbo

Wow a couple weeks ago it was doom and gloom on this forum, we were destined for a relegation scrap. Now winning a league game1-0 wouldn’t be good enough?
Reading are poor. If we want a) mid table b) less stress for fans - 2-0 would be nice
I am by nature one of the more gloomy at pre-match forecasting, so this is bold for me

slowpoke

Game by game we will get better not sure if Robins will stick with Tuesdays box formation or not it certainly worked first half but it did tail off in the second, early goals needed.

SeaSeeEffCee

This does feel like one of those classic games we always balls up. Home game against a poor side after a good away win, everyone full of confidence and predicting comfortable wins. Destined to be 1-0 Reading via a pen with someone sent off!

Seriously though, I think we should win today, especially if we play like we did on Tuesday, we just have to tighten up at the back a bit. Not sure what I’d do team wise as I don’t really know how Reading set up and I think you only want to play the box vs certain teams so could see Waghorn coming back in. 2-0 City, Hamer and Waghorn to score.

ReadingFan1871

Interesting to read through this thread, including the vitriolic comments about the club 😭😂

Unfortunately you appear to be right on quite a number of things. We never travel well to away games. I think it's just the fact the club historically has been a lower league one and the culture of it being a football-orientated place just isn't there. The only time we would travel well if it's a London club, Bristol City or maybe Portsmouth/Southampton for some reason. On that basis, I would imagine an away attendance of around 1000 fans.

The past 7-8 years have been really poor for the club generally. We've had some really serious ownership issues and also issues in the club, which led to us (rightly) receiving sanctions from the EFL. That has seriously screwed us up. Many fans are concerned about the future of the club and possible relegation, with continuing financial problems. Other issues include a really poor director of football that really damaged the internal workings of the club before he was basically forced out.

All of these things are reflected in attendances. Go back about 6-7 years and we were getting about 18-20k at home (good for us) which was all Championship games. It dwindled and dropped to 15/14/13 and now about 12k at times. A lot of this is due to several years of just miserable football, boring, uninspiring games, wasted days out, an increasingly poor matchday experience. The list goes on.

I know we're not unique in all of these things and in fact are very fortunate to still be in the Championship which is a league I absolutely love. But any fan base will suffer when all of these things are thrown at them.

On to the game

We lost to Stoke
We won at home against Preston (they were abysmal)
We lost to Bristol City
We've just signed Junior Hoilett which is an amazing thing for us - firstly it's a player, an actual player which we've been struggling to get due to the restrictions and wage issues. He also looks a good signing for us.

We have numerous key individuals missing, Ejaria who is one of the best players I've seen at the club for years. Joao who has been fairly good.

Someone on here said "Keep swift quiet and we have nothing to worry about". I hope your manager hasn't noticed that too as I think it's spot on. Swift has been brilliant in all opening games and our saving grace. If you do keep him quiet, double mark we'll be entirely void of any ideas.

I'm not sure what the result will be. I would say you're the favourites, you seem to be on an upwards trajectory, especially now you're back at the home ground. I'm going to remain positive and say 1-2 to us.

Reading FC Video

Please do me a favour, stop posting that horrible video. I am still having night terrors about it.

Btw, I vague remember that the person singing was friends of the owner at the time - no previous association with the club. She just thought of herself as a singer and made up this son.

I first heard about it when they played it on the big screen in the ground. I nearly choked on my flat bread prawn sandwich, thankfully I had a smoothie there to recover.

Enjoy the game y'all

Saddlebrains

Interesting to read through this thread, including the vitriolic comments about the club 😭😂

Unfortunately you appear to be right on quite a number of things. We never travel well to away games. I think it's just the fact the club historically has been a lower league one and the culture of it being a football-orientated place just isn't there. The only time we would travel well if it's a London club, Bristol City or maybe Portsmouth/Southampton for some reason. On that basis, I would imagine an away attendance of around 1000 fans.

The past 7-8 years have been really poor for the club generally. We've had some really serious ownership issues and also issues in the club, which led to us (rightly) receiving sanctions from the EFL. That has seriously screwed us up. Many fans are concerned about the future of the club and possible relegation, with continuing financial problems.

This is reflected in attendances. Go back about 6-7 years and we were getting about 18-20k at home (good for us) which was all Championship games. It dwindled and dropped to 15/14/13 and now about 12k at times. A lot of this is due to several years of just miserable football, boring, uninspiring games, wasted days out, an increasingly poor matchday experience. The list goes on.

I know we're not unique in all of these things, but any fan base will suffer when all of these things are thrown at them.

On to the game

We lost to Stoke
We lost to Bristol City
We've just signed Junior Hoilett which is an amazing thing for us - firstly it's a player, an actual player which we've been struggling to get due to the restrictions and wage issues. He also looks a good signing for us.

We have numerous key individuals missing, Ejaria who is one of the best players I've seen at the club for years. Joao who has been fairly good.

Someone on here said "Keep swift quiet and we have nothing to worry about". I hope your manager hasn't noticed that too as I think it's spot on. Swift has been brilliant in all opening games and our saving grace. If you do keep him quiet, double mark we'll be entirely void of any ideas.

I'm not sure what the result will be. I would say you're the favourites, you seem to be on an upwards trajectory, especially now you're back at the home ground. I'm going to remain positive and say 1-2 to us.

Reading FC Video

Please do me a favour, stop posting that horrible video. I am still having night terrors about it.

Btw, I vague remember that the person singing was friends of the owner at the time - no previous association with the club. She just thought of herself as a singer and made up this son.

I first heard about it when they played it on the big screen in the ground. I nearly choked on my flat bread prawn sandwich, thankfully I had a smoothie there to recover.

Enjoy the game y'all

Everything you've said makes sense fair play.

Bar the attendance comment, we've been down to the arse of League 2 in the last few years and were still taking almost 2k a week to shitholes like forest green and Morecambe. On top of not having a ground for 4 seasons out of the last 9.

As i say you seem quite decent, i just dont agree with the attendance quote, we've been through way worse the last 10 years and still sold out away allocations in the arse end of nowhere

ccfcmad1

Really looking foward to it today hopefully another cracking atmosphere,
2-0 City ohare gyokeres 16850

theferret

Bar the attendance comment, we've been down to the arse of League 2 in the last few years and were still taking almost 2k a week to shitholes like forest green and Morecambe. On top of not having a ground for 4 seasons out of the last 9.

As i say you seem quite decent, i just dont agree with the attendance quote, we've been through way worse the last 10 years and still sold out away allocations in the arse end of nowhere

Tbf, he didn't have a pop at us, and it is true that when you spend years in a division treading water away followings do dwindle as people get fed up of making the same trips. It'll happen to us if we stay in this division for an extended period.

That said, should be bringing more than 1K today.

Liquid Gold

The past 7-8 years have been really poor for the club generally. We've had some really serious ownership issues and also issues in the club, which led to us (rightly) receiving sanctions from the EFL. That has seriously screwed us up. Many fans are concerned about the future of the club and possible relegation, with continuing financial problems. Other issues include a really poor director of football that really damaged the internal workings of the club before he was basically forced out.

All of these things are reflected in attendances. Go back about 6-7 years and we were getting about 18-20k at home (good for us) which was all Championship games. It dwindled and dropped to 15/14/13 and now about 12k at times. A lot of this is due to several years of just miserable football, boring, uninspiring games, wasted days out, an increasingly poor matchday experience. The list goes on.

I know we're not unique in all of these things and in fact are very fortunate to still be in the Championship which is a league I absolutely love. But any fan base will suffer when all of these things are thrown at them.

On to the game

We lost to Stoke
We lost to Bristol City

Reading FC Video

Enjoy the game y'all
The past 7-8 years must have been awful being a championship regular and reaching a playoff final for the PL.

So glad we haven’t had to go through that.

ReadingFan1871

The past 7-8 years must have been awful being a championship regular and reaching a playoff final for the PL.

So glad we haven’t had to go through that.

I had thought through the tone of my original post that I wasn't saying anything of the sort. In fact I was going to address the PL final. I also did say how great the Championship is and how much I enjoy it, how fortunate it is to be there as other clubs have it far worse. I guess you didn't read that.

The Jaap Stam period was really odd. I really wanted him to succeed as it was a big name manager, with lots of connections, probably could attract good players, etc. It was under his management that we played some of the WORST football I have seen in years. It was horrendous. It led to Leeds fans chanting "boring boring Reading" everytime we played them for a little while (which was very accurate).

The Play Off year was weird. Every game was boring, mostly 1-0 wins. It didn't feel like we finished 3rd, it felt like we just coasted through it. I think we've had 4x Play Off Finals and lost every one. That particular one was the worst too, we played 120 minutes against Huddersfield ending in a 0-0 and then lost on penalties.

Stam got sacked soon after. We then had a succession of uninspiring managers including Paul Clement who I really did not like.

Liquid Gold

I had thought through the tone of my original post that I wasn't saying anything of the sort. In fact I was going to address the PL final. I also did say how great the Championship is and how much I enjoy it, how fortunate it is to be there as other clubs have it far worse. I guess you didn't read that.

The Jaap Stam period was really odd. I really wanted him to succeed as it was a big name manager, with lots of connections, probably could attract good players, etc. It was under his management that we played some of the WORST football I have seen in years. It was horrendous. It led to Leeds fans chanting "boring boring Reading" everytime we played them for a little while (which was very accurate).

The Play Off year was weird. Every game was boring, mostly 1-0 wins. It didn't feel like we finished 3rd, it felt like we just coasted through it. I think we've had 4x Play Off Finals and lost every one. That particular one was the worst too, we played 120 minutes against Huddersfield ending in a 0-0 and then lost on penalties.

Stam got sacked soon after. We then had a succession of uninspiring managers including Paul Clement who I really did not like.
I work with a reading fan so know what you’ve been up to.

Just made some really poor managerial appointments and baffling transfers. Giving us £1.2m for McNulty then letting us have Hyam for nothing being a perfect example.

ReadingFan1871

Can't argue with that. Everything I said was mainly relative to us. There are some clubs that could get relegated to the conference and still travel well and attract a crowd.

Like I said we've historically been a very small club in the lower divisions. After about 140 years we reached the top flight for the first time ever. So that hard core fan base was small. In our old ground (Elm Park) we would get about 6-8k on average. So we've grown as a club but we'll never be a big club with a huge fanbase who travel well. No issues with that from me - some clubs are big, some aren't.

slowpoke

Reading are one of a few clubs in the championship with big issues and problems and could get worse covid impact hasn’t really hit yet but a positive so far for them this season is they are scoring goals, which makes them dangerous opposition we’re not tight enough defensively yet still think we will beat them need early goal.

ReadingFan1871

I work with a reading fan so know what you’ve been up to.

Just made some really poor managerial appointments and baffling transfers. Giving us £1.2m for McNulty then letting us have Hyam for nothing being a perfect example.

Yea you're spot on there! Lots of examples of that. Great players going for free due to contract screw ups, or being sold too cheap. We also gave away some great younger players who went on to be really good for premier league teams or Championship players.

shmmeee

I’m a strong believer in form returning to the mean, I don’t think they’ll keep losing and I think when we’re getting confident it’s a sign we won’t win.

1-1 or 1-2 loss O’Hare to finally break his duck. Waghorn in for Allen cos the box only works against L1 sides.

theferret

Can't argue with that. Everything I said was mainly relative to us. There are some clubs that could get relegated to the conference and still travel well and attract a crowd.

Like I said we've historically been a very small club in the lower divisions. After about 140 years we reached the top flight for the first time ever. So that hard core fan base was small. In our old ground (Elm Park) we would get about 6-8k on average. So we've grown as a club but we'll never be a big club with a huge fanbase who travel well. No issues with that from me - some clubs are big, some aren't.

Will always remeber that Simod Cup semi at Elm Park. Was only a youngster but remeber being devastated.

Liquid Gold

I’m a strong believer in form returning to the mean, I don’t think they’ll keep losing and I think when we’re getting confident it’s a sign we won’t win.

1-1 or 1-2 loss O’Hare to finally break his duck. Waghorn in for Allen cos the box only works against L1 sides.
We’re still underperforming our xG so if they improve we should still give them a game if we can finish.

shmmeee

Whatever happens I’ll probably be watching it in 5FPS as I’m in Devon at a holiday camp trying to set up my daughters iPad on a VPN to watch over 4g.

Great_Expectations

Confidence on the rise, performances improving and key players steeping up - it’s all set up for us to fail today!

I think he’ll keep the box as we were very impressive on Tuesday, with the flexibility to bring Waghorn on and put two up front.

If we play with the same high tempo style and on the front foot we’ll cause some real issues.

Interested to see how JCS plays today after a shaky start. Hopefully a few more days with the squad and a full 90 minutes under his belt, the rustiness will be gone and he’ll be more comfortable with our style.

Still don’t understand some of the criticisms or comments re out left side on Tuesday - JCS was poor, but I was really impressed with Maasten, he doesn’t look a weak link to me at all.

3-1, Gyokeres (2), Hyam.

Users who are viewing this thread