Project Big Picture... (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

Bet it's not abandoned -just back behind closed doors until they sniff another opportunity
Exactly. They just saw an opportunity with EFL clubs struggling to force it through. They won't just give up.

Parry has to go now you'd think.

Reactions: AOM

Colin Steins Smile

The big television revenues are currently with the Premier League, which gives our clubs bigger budgets than most clubs across Europe.
Why would you give up that advantage by entering into a super league that would increase the revenues to some of your competitors?

Hutch11

How to help out the whole of the football pyramid

1% levy on all transfer fees, agents fees and signing on inducements.

Passed down to the EFL and grass roots .

tisza

Thought this was interesting:

Comes as no surprise. It shows that (as suspected) the whole thing was a self-serving coup from a handful of greedy clubs.
Don't think the other members of the big 6 had actually worked out how big an advantage Utd and Liverpool would have on the individually sold games.
Was always obvious that the 25% was going to be of a diminished pot over a period of time.
Possible that the viewing figures of the few freetoair games encouraged big 6 of bigger streaming market out there.

tisza

Eye watering differences in revenue per game there. You can see why this isn’t going to go away.
The selling point of PL is that it is the most competitive League because mid & lower table sides get enough money to be relatively competitive. Start to reduce that level of competition and they end up with a Bundesliga,lá liga situation where income is heavily weighted to just 2 or 3 clubs and so less competitive and ultimately less appealing to a global market and so smaller TV contracts.
It's a continuation of the FFP situation and the impact of Champions League money across many European leagues where only 1 or 2 clubs are in contention every season due to their significant financial advantage that these 2 factors ensure every year.

shmmeee

The selling point of PL is that it is the most competitive League because mid & lower table sides get enough money to be relatively competitive. Start to reduce that level of competition and they end up with a Bundesliga,lá liga situation where income is heavily weighted to just 2 or 3 clubs and so less competitive and ultimately less appealing to a global market and so smaller TV contracts.
It's a continuation of the FFP situation and the impact of Champions League money across many European leagues where only 1 or 2 clubs are in contention every season due to their significant financial advantage that these 2 factors ensure every year.

I think someone has to step up with some bollocks and tell the big clubs to get back in their box. Pool TV money and distribute it more fairly across the leagues. Champions League money, merchandise, pre season tours, and of course fuck off big stadiums with massive corporate sections can still give those clubs an advantage, there’s just a base level that ensures sensible competition and a viable pyramid.

But we’ve got the FA/EFL/PL so that ain’t gonna happen.

fernandopartridge

Like I have said previously I have felt for a long time that the Champions League is the shadow European Super League, I mean there is a core of teams that qualify every year and essentially orient their season around it.

fernandopartridge

I think someone has to step up with some bollocks and tell the big clubs to get back in their box. Pool TV money and distribute it more fairly across the leagues. Champions League money, merchandise, pre season tours, and of course fuck off big stadiums with massive corporate sections can still give those clubs an advantage, there’s just a base level that ensures sensible competition and a viable pyramid.

But we’ve got the FA/EFL/PL so that ain’t gonna happen.
The type of people who own all of these clubs are not in it for the good of the competition, so even without a supine set of governing bodies it'd be difficult to get any agreement on it. You can't help but feel a split is inevitable, with teams like Liverpool and United ending up as some touring franchise playing games all over the world against other major teams.

shmmeee

The type of people who own all of these clubs are not in it for the good of the competition, so even without a supine set of governing bodies it'd be difficult to get any agreement on it. You can't help but feel a split is inevitable, with teams like Liverpool and United ending up as some touring franchise playing games all over the world against other major teams.

If that’s the case and they want to become Harlem Globe Trotters of football let them go quite frankly. Everton and Man City would likely see a resurgence. I don’t think they’ll have the pull outside of a competitive division. Without British crowds behind them either.

That’s what I mean by some bollocks. I genuinely don’t think their actual fans would go for it and without them the product is a lot less attractive. I don’t think players would want to become performing monkeys for money either. You’d end up with a Chinese/MLS situation where ageing stars and never have been a sign for the cash but serious players won’t touch them. It’d basically be International football as well and we all know that’s garbage.

tisza

Of course the time freed up by fewer fixtures would be filled with these lucrative overseas friendlies. These clubs complain of tiredness then still whip players off to Australia/far east at the end of the season for cash games.

chiefdave

Love how Sky describe it as a bombshell plot when in reality its something pretty much every football fan assumes will happen at some point.

SBAndy

If they join it then surely they aren't then allowed in any English Competitions at all.

Let them all fuck off and maybe English Football can be sorted out a bit better without them.

Can’t imagine they give the shiniest of shits about not playing in the FA Cup.

I do agree though, if they leave we can look to have honest reform. Shut down the Premier League model and absorb it back into the Football League.

chiefdave

How lucrative would this really be? Quick google shows that apart from things like the final which they show free across multiple platforms including YouTube the viewing figures for Champions League on BT are pretty dismal, as low as 200K.

By comparison 2.7m watched Villa v Sheff Utd on Sky, hardly what you'd call one of the big games.

Let them go, and don't let them in other competitions like the FA Cup.

Liquid Gold

I would piss myself if it meant they couldn't play in the domestic game because one of them is going to finish bottom and become a laughing stock.

Skyblueweeman

If this happens, it will again be a showcase of how football is about giving money to the biggest clubs and screwing the rest.

If those big teams do it and it leads to the long term uncertainty for the rest of the teams/leagues they leave behind, they should be ashamed (although I'm sure they won't give a damn).

chiefdave

Seems to be a league to run alongside existing domestic leagues, albeit with up to 30 matches for each participant.

Can't play in two full time leagues surely? They moan like hell there's too many fixtures now.

Skyblueweeman

Can't play in two full time leagues surely? They moan like hell there's too many fixtures now.

30 games (min) in this new league, 38 games in the EPL plus somewhere between 2-10 games in cups?

Ain't gonna happen.

They'd have to leave their member associations.

Reminds me of when Utd sacked off the FA Cup a few years back to play in the World Club Championship thing. The disdain for them then was huge. Imagine the average football fans reactions if 6 clubs say 'see ya, we're off for a large pay packet'?!

jordan210

Oh well let them leave the prem. If it goes tits up they have to start at the bottom of the football league and earn was back to the prem.

Malaka

Fuck them, what they don't realise is that it's too expensive for away fans to follow. It will be shit having too few away fans.

Paul Anthony

This has been floated around for so long, it's felt inevitable for years. Looks like Project Big Picture was certain clubs just testing the water.

stay_up_skyblues

Realistically though, would the standard even be that great? Outside of Barca, Real, Atheltico and Bayern there would be a load of shite making up the numbers. As seen in the Champions League season in season out.

chiefdave

Fuck them, what they don't realise is that it's too expensive for away fans to follow. It will be shit having too few away fans.
Won't be a second thought for fans if they think they can make money. But it will impact on atmosphere which will ultimately impact the product on TV.

Look at some US sports where the distance & cost means away fans don't travel and the amount of work they have to do pumping music in, cheerleaders etc to try and get any atmosphere going.

Users who are viewing this thread