Project Big Picture... (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

Lots of good stuff then the kicker of handing over all power to the big six and the dodgy promotion from the Championship.

I’d scrap the cups and parachute payments tomorrow. The rest can fuck off.

Agree - sprat to catch a mackerel from the big 6. Complete shysters

tisza

Puts the power in the hand of 6 clubs. Other 3 mentioned are just a token to try and get their support in initial vote.
A short hop to getting rid of promotion/relegation - no surprise 2 American owners pushing it.
Trying to exploit the financial difficulties caused by COVID. B teams will be back on the table soon probably.
Just a cynical power grab by a few clubs and you'd hope rest of PL would have the sense to vote it down.
Time for Rick Parry to go as well

chiefdave

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport condemned what it called a "backroom deal".

"We are surprised and disappointed that at a time of crisis when we have urged the top tiers of professional football to come together and finalise a deal to help lower league clubs, there appear to be backroom deals being cooked up that would create a closed shop at the very top of the game," a DCMS spokesperson said.

"Sustainability, integrity and fair competition are absolutely paramount and anything that may undermine them is deeply troubling. Fans must be front of all our minds, and this shows why our fan led review of football governance will be so critical."
Spot on from the DCMS but lets hope they stick with it and apply pressure on this.

I think any football fan in the country would tell you change is needed but the change required is essentially a move back towards how things worked pre-Premier League. Better distribution of funds throughout the game, no parachute payments and no sweeping up every kid who shows promise to either stagnate in youth football or be loaned out as a money making exercise.

I'd make the League Cup just for EFL teams. There's some big teams in the EFL and a realistic chance at some silverware and a trip to Wembley would be a bonus.

Can also see a case for less teams in the Prem. However the 'too many games' argument is completely undermined when the big clubs send their teams overseas to play in money spinning, meaningless, tournaments whenever there's a couple of days off.

Trying to push this through when lower league clubs are in trouble thanks to covid is abhorrent. Also anything that deviates from 1 club 1 vote should be dismissed immediately.

SkyBlueZack

Surely Rick Parry will have to go, You would assume most of the EFL teams have lost what little faith they have in him.

The former Chief executive of Liverpool and prem does not have the interest of the EFL.

His association with Liverpool needs calling out. He’s hardly unbiased. Liverpool and Manchester United hate each other apart from when it comes to screwing over smaller clubs. Personally I’d let the ‘big six’ piss off and carry on with the rest of the teams. They’re just angling for more tv money and a European super league, how that closes the gap parry talks about, I have no idea 🤷🏼‍♂️🤯

Winny the Bish

Surely Rick Parry will have to go, You would assume most of the EFL teams have lost what little faith they have in him.

The former Chief executive of Liverpool and prem does not have the interest of the EFL.
Judging by the Posh chairman's comments on talkSPORT right now...you are VERY wrong. Because there's no alternative option at the moment.

chiefdave

His association with Liverpool needs calling out. He’s hardly unbiased. Liverpool and Manchester United hate each other apart from when it comes to screwing over smaller clubs. Personally I’d let the ‘big six’ piss off and carry on with the rest of the teams. They’re just angling for more tv money and a European super league, how that closes the gap parry talks about, I have no idea 🤷🏼‍♂️🤯
The laughable thing about the big six is that none of them have managed to finish every PL season in the top 6. Some of them haven't even managed to be in the PL every season.

That's before you even consider the pre-PL years which many people seem to think have been erased from history.

If they split off and change the rules so their votes override everyone else what's to stop them having another vote a few months in to stop the new payments to the EFL?

Think its obvious to everyone that at some point the Champions League with become a full time European Super League, or will be replaced with one. If that's the end game just get on and do that. The debate then should be if it is a closed competition or should there be promotion and relegation.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It doesn't surprise me seeing the list of people supporting this disgraceful idea. Gary Neville being top of the pile. That bloke just sums up exactly what I hate about football. Someone who lasted five minutes as a manager doing all the commentary on Sky Sports whilst simultaneously rubbing one out over Man Utd.

I cannot stand what money has done and the way the big clubs behave, and I am forever having to tolerate 'fans' of glory clubs who have no idea what the sport is really about and cannot relate to the rest of us. I try not to get bitter and annoyed but when shit like this comes out it is hard not to.

'I'm a Liverpool fan.'

No you c**t, you are from Leamington Spa. Fuck off.

Liquid Gold

The laughable thing about the big six is that none of them have managed to finish every PL season in the top 6. Some of them haven't even managed to be in the PL every season.

That's before you even consider the pre-PL years which many people seem to think have been erased from history.

If they split off and change the rules so their votes override everyone else what's to stop them having another vote a few months in to stop the new payments to the EFL?

Think its obvious to everyone that at some point the Champions League with become a full time European Super League, or will be replaced with one. If that's the end game just get on and do that. The debate then should be if it is a closed competition or should there be promotion and relegation.
I'd love for them to do a ESL without promotion and relegation and no participation in the national leagues. It would show how laughable the whole thing is, if a club had a few shit years you can imagine the outcry of the glory hunter fans, switching teams, revenues dropping. They are the big clubs now because they have the financial muscle to beat up on the rest of the league, just wouldn't happen once they finally piss off.

tisza

Give it until the next TV contract and the big 6 can rewrite how PL Tv revenues are shared amongst PL clubs. Want to guess how that's going to work out.:)
Curious about how EFL thinks it can find an equitable way to distribute future PL money amongst league clubs.
Plan has many good elements but putting control of all of football's finances in the hands of 6 clubs is just wrong.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Spot on from the DCMS but lets hope they stick with it and apply pressure on this.

I think any football fan in the country would tell you change is needed but the change required is essentially a move back towards how things worked pre-Premier League. Better distribution of funds throughout the game, no parachute payments and no sweeping up every kid who shows promise to either stagnate in youth football or be loaned out as a money making exercise.

I'd make the League Cup just for EFL teams. There's some big teams in the EFL and a realistic chance at some silverware and a trip to Wembley would be a bonus.

Can also see a case for less teams in the Prem. However the 'too many games' argument is completely undermined when the big clubs send their teams overseas to play in money spinning, meaningless, tournaments whenever there's a couple of days off.

Trying to push this through when lower league clubs are in trouble thanks to covid is abhorrent. Also anything that deviates from 1 club 1 vote should be dismissed immediately.

Agree with pretty much all of this.

Squad caps, no hoarding of young talent, no parachute payments giving an unfair advatange to get back up and making clubs have to be more conscious of the costs of the long term contracts handed out. U21/B teams can fuck off. However I wouldn't be averse to allowing clubs to do their own TV rights etc.

League Cup I would either make EFL instead of Checkatrade, or just take out those clubs in Europe.

If there's a case for reducing numbers in the PL, why not the other leagues too? Clubs with fewer resources to provide training/monitoring/physios etc having to play more games seems ludicrous. Bodies don't have enough of a rest close season and we're seeing more injuries. For me a 30-game season with the cups and a mid-winter break would be enough. So 16 clubs per league with 6 leagues = 96 clubs. Of course has been mentioned the complaints of 'too many games' comes from those teams that swan off for pre and post season exhibition games and tournaments so their argument is pretty weak.

Although I know it adds a bit of excitement but I still find the play-offs grossly unfair, highlighted very much by Wycombe's promotion. With a 16-club, 6 league set-up I'd have four promoted, four relegated, so a quarter of the PL would change each year and half of the other leagues. Some would say that's too many so maybe 2 or 3 in each direction.

These are the kind of things that will help football long term, not what's being proposed which is just a closed competition run by a few of the teams for the benefit of themselves. Althouogh sadly it seems there are far too many who seem to think those teams ARE football.

Terry Gibson's perm

As people have said let’s see how interesting a European league is when you are at the bottom of it all the time, all of the teams that dream of it are used to winning their own leagues and they all can’t do that.

On project big club or whatever it’s called I like some of the ideas but would go further on the relegation two down and up and the next four in the prem play off with the highest four left in the champ one off games winner takes all

Frostie

B teams will be back on the table soon probably.

I'm certain they already are in a fashion under this concept of increased loans to single clubs.
The 'big 6' will come to an arrangement with numerous lower league clubs forcing them to take 4 players each & ensuring they play every week.

The whole thing stinks, EFL literally selling it's soul to the devil.

fernandopartridge

I'm certain they already are in a fashion under this concept of increased loans to single clubs.
The 'big 6' will come to an arrangement with numerous lower league clubs forcing them to take 4 players each & ensuring they play every week.

The whole thing stinks, EFL literally selling it's soul to the devil.

Well, EFL now run by long time Liverpool FC CEO and Liverpool fan Rick Parry

fernandopartridge

Parry is right in many respects, clubs do need to bring costs under control. However, how do you address that with the trickle down effect on wage demands without a corresponding trickle down in funding? Or, as I think Parry wants to do, do you just remove the problem all together by eventually making the PL a closed competition.

Brighton Sky Blue

As people have said let’s see how interesting a European league is when you are at the bottom of it all the time, all of the teams that dream of it are used to winning their own leagues and they all can’t do that.

On project big club or whatever it’s called I like some of the ideas but would go further on the relegation two down and up and the next four in the prem play off with the highest four left in the champ one off games winner takes all

As part of the project I’d like a ‘no tycoon’ rule to see Pep work his magic

Tartan Specials

I agree with you re the 'Champions' League. Let it become an actual league (hopefully with relegation and promotion). As an aside, a 24 team league is crazy. Nobody else in Europe has it, which is always a good indicator.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'd love to see a realistic salary cap and salary floor along with a limit on squad sizes that made the PL far more competitive. Its basically the same handful of clubs winning everything and the rest of the teams scrapping to stay up to keep a share of the money.

I’ve wanted an absolute cap rather than a % cap for ages but they will never go for it. They just want a cheque war

chiefdave

I’ve wanted an absolute cap rather than a % cap for ages but they will never go for it. They just want a cheque war
Think its counterproductive. You reach a point where people get bored of watching the same team(s) win everything. There was talk that the FA were having talks about exactly that problem and how it would impact future deals when Leicester came along and it all seemed to be forgotten about. It becomes the SPL with Rangers and Celtic winning every year and nobody else getting a look in.

Hobo

Every TV deal should have a percentage trickle down through the professional leagues, to help benefit all.

EFL Cup should continue but without Prem teams.

Every team should have squad restrictions at the various levels and age groups. This might allow Champ and Nat 1 teams a better chance of getting hands on local talent.

Undecided on parachute payments? Can see both sides. What is needed is stricter control on what clubs can spend in relation to income and not spiral into debt.

If Premier League Clubs loan players out they should be responsible for the wage bill - to help get young talent competitive football.

shmmeee

Every TV deal should have a percentage trickle down through the professional leagues, to help benefit all.

EFL Cup should continue but without Prem teams.

Every team should have squad restrictions at the various levels and age groups. This might allow Champ and Nat 1 teams a better chance of getting hands on local talent.

Undecided on parachute payments? Can see both sides. What is needed is stricter control on what clubs can spend in relation to income and not spiral into debt.

If Premier League Clubs loan players out they should be responsible for the wage bill - to help get young talent competitive football.

Agree with all of that, for parachute payments I can accept some level of support for existing contracts. Maybe with a clause that they have to put players up for transfer (no idea how that would work in reality) to avoid clubs just keeping everyone on. But giving clubs a massive transfer kitty to come straight back up is bullshit.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I've been wondering if a squad cap were put in of, say, 40 pro players could we then have a draft system like the US where any player coming out of an academy or U23 that hasn't been included in a squad is basically available to be drafted at the end of the transfer window, with the team that finished bottom of the pile given first pick up to the PL champions given last. You can take as many picks as you want up to the point you reach 40 pro players (you can take less to leave space for other signings if you prefer).

Each player will receive a set minimum wage regardless of who picks them. Term of contract would be a year with an option of one more so decent kids can't just leave after a year and gives clubs either the chance to offer an extended contract or get a fee for them (although due to age they should get a small development fee regardless)

Would make youngsters (and hopefully teams) far more selective over who they choose to join, knowing if you're at Man U but could end up in L2 on min wage if they don't keep you on whereas joing a L1 club earlier is more likely to get a contract on better terms.

Reckon it'd be as exciting as transfer deadline day and Sky could go into orgasm mode over it. They do in America.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Agree with all of that, for parachute payments I can accept some level of support for existing contracts. Maybe with a clause that they have to put players up for transfer (no idea how that would work in reality) to avoid clubs just keeping everyone on. But giving clubs a massive transfer kitty to come straight back up is bullshit.

Should standardise contracts. 50% increase if promoted, 50% decrease if relegated. Of course some of the more ridiculous PL contracts of 100k+ a week would still be unaffordable, but if you've done that then you're going to have to sell them, even a bit on the cheap. Teach you to not offer ridulous unsustainable wages.

Users who are viewing this thread