Project Big Picture... (1 Viewer)

capel & collindridge

Should have voted to stay in Europe if we didn't want a European Super League. Those who voted Brexit may have succeeded in ruining all our truly British football traditions!

Odd isn't it!

I'm sure other opinions are available. ;-)

Flying Fokker

Oh dear... If Joy had any plan to become a Prem club/ yo-yo exit. it has now been watered down. No parachute payments and The prospect of running away is now less attractive. If this happens of course.

D

Deleted member 2477

So if this goes ahead does anyone think this is the end of football as a working mans sport enjoyed by fans of all backgrounds ?
the shift now seems to be towards a few big clubs money driven with a common objective of an elite group of clubs across Europe Competing in a league run by the elite

bawtryneal

So if this goes ahead does anyone think this is the end of football as a working mans sport enjoyed by fans of all backgrounds ?
the shift now seems to be towards a few big clubs money driven with a common objective of an elite group of clubs across Europe Competing in a league run by the elite

Hasn`t it been like that for the last 5 years or so ?

shmmeee

Nah just the end of small clubs. The working man will just watch in the pub.

tisza

Judging by the Posh chairman's comments on talkSPORT right now...you are VERY wrong. Because there's no alternative option at the moment.
because clubs are over a barrel atm.
How attractive would the proposal be if there was no COVID?
Been on the offing apparently since 2017 but no appetite for it.
How good will it seem when there is a return to normality and there's no way back?
It's like us ending up with SISU because there were basically 2 choices - them or nothing.

Whole thing just too shady when it turns out big 6 reps and Parry been meeting on the quiet for a period of time

David O'Day

because clubs are over a barrel atm.
How attractive would the proposal be if there was no COVID?
Been on the offing apparently since 2017 but no appetite for it.
How good will it seem when there is a return to normality and there's no way back?
It's like us ending up with SISU because there were basically 2 choices - them or nothing.

Whole thing just too shady when it turns out big 6 reps and Parry been meeting on the quiet for a period of time

But there is Covid and we are looking at 5 to 6 weeks before teams start to go bust so you can see we it is seen as the only deal in town for a lot of clubs.

Ring Of Steel

Are you for real?

Football ceased being a "working mans sport" in about 1997

Not that there is anything inherently wrong in that, all this nostalgia about the 'old days' in football is well over the top, its just that its gone too far now.

skyblue025

It looks unlikely to happen as most of the rest of the premier league think it's shit. Talksport saying the big six could even veto new owners of other clubs. So when the next multi billionaire comes along it will be thanks but no thanks we don't want you breaking into the top 6 and upsetting the apple cart.

Travs

It's encouraging that a number of the more mainstream outlets and pundits seem to be publicly speaking up against it... i heard both Micah Richards and Chris Sutton (both usually spout drivel on all subjects) giving it a real slating last night on the Radio.

It's usually rare to hear pundits in cushy positions speaking out about anything (blatant cheating/diving for example).

I'm also pretty flabbergasted at what right the "big 6" think they have to describe themselves as such. I wonder what teams like Leicester think, having won the Premier League, having someone like Spurs trying to walk all over them.

There was an American guy, i think in UEFA, who was making a noise about the Champions League going down similar lines a few years ago... said something along the lines of "we don't switch on the Champions League to watch Gent vs Wolfsburg... we want to watch Man United" despite them being nowhere near good enough to qualify that year.... which pretty much sums up the attitude Americans have to sport in general (and seemingly those running the top Premier League teams, and the EFL).

jimmyhillsfanclub

m also pretty flabbergasted at what right the "big 6" think they have to describe themselves as such. I wonder what teams like Leicester think, having won the Premier League, having someone like Spurs trying to walk all over them.

Yep....the arrogance is astounding. Spurs have won precisely fuck all of note this century and haven't won the title since black & white telly.
Man City have spent less seasons in the premier league than Everton, Villa, West Ham & even that other pretend big club Newcastle.

Fucking joke.

chiefdave

There was an American guy, i think in UEFA, who was making a noise about the Champions League going down similar lines a few years ago... said something along the lines of "we don't switch on the Champions League to watch Gent vs Wolfsburg... we want to watch Man United" despite them being nowhere near good enough to qualify that year.... which pretty much sums up the attitude Americans have to sport in general (and seemingly those running the top Premier League teams, and the EFL).
Its Americans behind this as well isn't it? They clearly don't understand football fans and are trying to make it the same as in the US. A closed off league with clubs treated more as brands than sporting entities.

Look at teams like the Raiders and Yankees, marketing & merchandising takes priority over on the field performance. Big TV deals and corporate clients take priority over genuine supporters.

Would love to see FIFA and UEFA grow a pair and tell these clubs, and similar clubs in Europe, to get in line or they are out of the Champions League and their players are ineligible to represent their countries at the World Cup, Euros etc. Needs something strong or they'll just chip away until they eventually get what they want.

Liquid Gold

Its Americans behind this as well isn't it? They clearly don't understand football fans and are trying to make it the same as in the US. A closed off league with clubs treated more as brands than sporting entities.

Look at teams like the Raiders and Yankees, marketing & merchandising takes priority over on the field performance. Big TV deals and corporate clients take priority over genuine supporters.

Would love to see FIFA and UEFA grow a pair and tell these clubs, and similar clubs in Europe, to get in line or they are out of the Champions League and their players are ineligible to represent their countries at the World Cup, Euros etc. Needs something strong or they'll just chip away until they eventually get what they want.
They may not understand traditional fans but at what point to become outweighed, in revenue contribution at least, by plastics from Beijing.

chiefdave

They may not understand traditional fans but at what point to become outweighed, in revenue contribution at least, by plastics from Beijing.
Thats exactly their thinking but is that sustainable long term?

The gap between is pretty big in the Prem League already, this plan would see the 'big 6' get stronger and stronger. Eventually interest in watching anything but games between 2 of those teams will drop off so you end up with only 30 meaningful games in a season. That's roughly one a week. How many broadcasters will keep paying out for games nobody is interested in?

And then how many fans of the non big 6 clubs want to watch their club getting annihilated every time they play one of them. Its short term gain for the current owners at the expense of the long term future of the game.

Magwitch

Eight years ago Manchester City would not have been part of any big 6. They would have been treated as a run of the mill outfit, but now they have gone from that run of the mill outfit to being able to buy any player in the World and, our big two Man United and Liverpool don’t like that and will be concerned that another run of the mill outfit could emerge from anywhere if someone buys them with massively deep pockets, could have happened recently had those Saudis had got the nod to buy Newcastle.
This all smacks of Americanism to me both United & Liverpool have big hard nosed American business men owners, they won’t give flying f””k about any other club including the other members of this so-called big 6.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But there is Covid and we are looking at 5 to 6 weeks before teams start to go bust so you can see we it is seen as the only deal in town for a lot of clubs.

IMO it's like being told by a doctor there's a risk you might die imminently, or you can take this drug that will make sure you don't, but that drug will definitely kill you in a few years.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Thats exactly their thinking but is that sustainable long term?

The gap between is pretty big in the Prem League already, this plan would see the 'big 6' get stronger and stronger. Eventually interest in watching anything but games between 2 of those teams will drop off so you end up with only 30 meaningful games in a season. That's roughly one a week. How many broadcasters will keep paying out for games nobody is interested in?

And then how many fans of the non big 6 clubs want to watch their club getting annihilated every time they play one of them. Its short term gain for the current owners at the expense of the long term future of the game.

I think you may have hit on something there. One game between the big six a week. They'll engineer the fixture to ensure they're not playing each other in the same week so they can monopolise the TV market, make their own TV deals, demand falls out of the other clubs TV revenues and the discrepancy between those six and the rest becomes staggering.

Plus as those TV deals become worth less, less money is available to then flow down the pyramid.

However with the Yanks involved it'd be funny when one of them said "why do we have so many big teams in a small area? Let's move Man City to the Midlands or the South West.

That's where it's going. I reckon we might see a few mergers over the next few years, starting lower down the pyramid.

Colin Steins Smile

The disparity in revenues between the various levels in English football has led to very risky practices, as clubs try to reach the "promised land" of the Premier league.

IMO - There are some positive aspects to this proposal, including getting rid of the parachute payments and increasing payments to the EFL.

HOWEVER, the prospects of 6 clubs dictating the future direction of the PL is scary. I half expect them to propose no relegation & prioritising a new European Super League, so playing a mix of first team and squad players in the PL.

Such a move would surely lead to reducing the value of TV contracts for the PL.....and in hit the EFL revenues.
Clubs need to be careful as to what they wish for.....although many may not exist in a few months time unless something changes.

So far the PL has been very quiet about whether they are prepared to help the wider football pyramid. At least this proposal has raised the stakes and has made the issues higher priority.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

If this goes through I will probably rethink my obsession with football and how much I watch going forwards. Without trying to sound dramatic, this for me something I have worried about for a long time.

I have some friends who support Man Utd and Liverpool etc, and they are forever banging on about how it is a business and they are happy to pay £100 to go and watch them once a year. If it was up to me, they can have their own super league for all the plastics. The real supporters can have their football league.

Some of the chairmen of certain football clubs in the lower leagues are backing this proposal as well. Fucking imbeciles.

MalcSB

I think you may have hit on something there. One game between the big six a week. They'll engineer the fixture to ensure they're not playing each other in the same week so they can monopolise the TV market, make their own TV deals, demand falls out of the other clubs TV revenues and the discrepancy between those six and the rest becomes staggering.

Plus as those TV deals become worth less, less money is available to then flow down the pyramid.

However with the Yanks involved it'd be funny when one of them said "why do we have so many big teams in a small area? Let's move Man City to the Midlands or the South West.

That's where it's going. I reckon we might see a few mergers over the next few years, starting lower down the pyramid.
Wasps are looking for sporting tenants!

SBAndy

The real supporters can have their football league.

Some of the chairmen of certain football clubs in the lower leagues are backing this proposal as well. Fucking imbeciles.

Couple of quick points:

1. Could it not be that these owners/chairmen you refer to would rather not delay the inevitable so that the elite piss off to their super league and they get the football league?
2. It’s difficult to blame owners/chairmen of clubs who are weeks away from going bust and are potentially being given a lifeline. Would you rather fold now or continue, albeit potentially on life support, for a further 5-10 years and see what happens?

Liquid Gold

Couple of quick points:

1. Could it not be that these owners/chairmen you refer to would rather not delay the inevitable so that the elite piss off to their super league and they get the football league?
2. It’s difficult to blame owners/chairmen of clubs who are weeks away from going bust and are potentially being given a lifeline. Would you rather fold now or continue, albeit potentially on life support, for a further 5-10 years and see what happens?
I think it's a case of Accrington, Morecambe etc. never having an ambitions on the PL so not giving a shit what the big 6 do. Short term thinking in my view as they could just decide the rest of the pyramid get 0 income after a year if they wanted.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Couple of quick points:

On your second point, maybe so. But they shouldn't try and pretend that it is this brilliant and fantastic idea, and that it isn't a power grab. It's a bit embarrassing really.

Legia Sky Blue

I've often thought that the big 3, 4, 5, 6 or whatever they are in any given year should be encouraged to join a Euro Super League, but knowing that if they do that there is no fallback position for them in the English League. As pointed out elsewhere the supporters of all the likely teams in a Euro League expect to win week in week out, so for some it would be a rude awakening and test the support of their plastic fans.

While it might take a while for English football to reshape without the big 6, a more even contest could galvanize domestic football and retain a global interest whereby it could still hold its own. If it were to ever pan out this way I'd envisage it wouldn't be long before a few of those big 6 were begging to come back into the English League.

What I definitely don't want to see are the big 6 maintaining a foothold in both camps by playing teams in a European League & our domestic league. The remaining football clubs will need to stand strong against that ever happening.

Evo1883

My favourite part is they can vote for or against if a club can be taken over so effectively nobody else can ever challenge them at the top, I mean what fucking right do a rival club have to decide your financial future?

Evo1883

I've often thought that the big 3, 4, 5, 6 or whatever they are in any given year should be encouraged to join a Euro Super League, but knowing that if they do that there is no fallback position for them in the English League. As pointed out elsewhere the supporters of all the likely teams in a Euro League expect to win week in week out, so for some it would be a rude awakening and test the support of their plastic fans.

While it might take a while for English football to reshape without the big 6, a more even contest could galvanize domestic football and retain a global interest whereby it could still hold its own. If it were to ever pan out this way I'd envisage it wouldn't be long before a few of those big 6 were begging to come back into the English League.

What I definitely don't want to see are the big 6 maintaining a foothold in both camps by playing teams in a European League & our domestic league. The remaining football clubs will need to stand strong against that ever happening.
They do... It's called the champions league

capel & collindridge

I think there might be a vacant stadium somewhere in the Midlands where they might welcome the Manchester Sky Blues. Then watch Wasps suggest they don't need an inappropriate place-name in their title. They'll say it worked for them!

I can't wait for cricket to finish the same journey. Then we'll see the Bears away to the Eagles in Glasgow, eager to keep their one-game winning streak alive following their home win last week in Leicester.

Liquid Gold

Any local glory hunter would switch to the most local super team doing well and international ones would pick whoever is doing well at the time. I can see a few of them becoming a laughing stock with no fans, losing every week and only bringing in TV money.

Honestly, let them go. It may take us time to adjust and for wages to level out but we'll have an actual competition.

Users who are viewing this thread