Project Big Picture... (1 Viewer)

Ian1779

The big clubs know what they are doing - force their through now of all times knowing EFL clubs and the FA are skint.

Should be rejected outright, but then again if the vote went to all 92 clubs and you are a middling L2 club who is never going to ever hope to reach the PL what have you got to lose if it guarantees the future of your club.

samccov1987

Not sure what to make of this.

On the one hand sooner or later the Prem were going to reduce teams for increased Champions League and likewise I could well foresee the Championship leaving the EFL as so many big clubs fall from grace. Self interest as always.

On the good side I read parachute payments would end. Personally wouldn’t mind an end to the efl cup either - could make the FA Cup special again?

That said even less chance of us getting back to the top flight although the longer we’ve been gone the less I’ve missed it. Championship is a decent product - teams well matched and competitive.

Liquid Gold

The big clubs know what they are doing - force their through now of all times knowing EFL clubs and the FA are skint.

Should be rejected outright, but then again if the vote went to all 92 clubs and you are a middling L2 club who is never going to ever hope to reach the PL what have you got to lose if it guarantees the future of your club.
EFL rules means it needs to be approved by a majority of clubs AND a majority of Championship clubs.

To be honest I’d rather they dropped the bullshit and just went away for their super league.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Every crisis is an opportunity for some fecker. They’ve been looking for a way to do this for years and the bastards choose now when the entire country’s on its arse. Fuck ‘em, although its going to be tough to turn down for those clubs about to go pop.

Limey

Seen worst proposals to be honest. Still have promotion and relegation, which I am sure a lot of American owners would rather scrap.

Ideally: scrap the EFL cup. Limit use of parachute payments to support players contracts who are still in force at time of relegation (i.e not a massive transfer pot).

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Blatant power grab from the big clubs to have control over everyone, using the current situation as leverage because some are so close to the edge they'd almost have to accept anything to keep going, even though in 10 years they'll be in the same situation. Bit like the King offering the peasants a shilling as long as they do stuff that will earn them a pound.

This has got nothing to do with the big picture or what's best for the future of the game. It's all to do with the small picture of what benefits them.

shmmeee

Lots of good stuff then the kicker of handing over all power to the big six and the dodgy promotion from the Championship.

I’d scrap the cups and parachute payments tomorrow. The rest can fuck off.

Bugsy

ccfc1234

Rick Parry is an ex Liverpool employee. Would imagine if this power grab gets accepted, there will be something in it for him. The EFL statement reads like an apology for doing over its members.

Ring Of Steel

Not sure what to make of this.

On the one hand sooner or later the Prem were going to reduce teams for increased Champions League and likewise I could well foresee the Championship leaving the EFL as so many big clubs fall from grace. Self interest as always.

On the good side I read parachute payments would end. Personally wouldn’t mind an end to the efl cup either - could make the FA Cup special again?

That said even less chance of us getting back to the top flight although the longer we’ve been gone the less I’ve missed it. Championship is a decent product - teams well matched and competitive.

I’m very sure what to make of it.

Currently 14 votes needed from 20 to pass any kind of change or rule. This would mean only 6 from 18 needed, and Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea & Man City setting themselves up as the “elite” group of clubs.

Those 6 teams thus run English football in its entirety, and within a couple of years you have individual PPV tickets for those 6, with a European League replacing the Premier League as the main competition.

It’s probably inevitable but another little shift towards football ‘as we knew it’ ceasing to exist, and unless some billionaire swoops in even less chance of us ever being able to get back near the top.

Liquid Gold

I’m very sure what to make of it.

Currently 14 votes needed from 20 to pass any kind of change or rule. This would mean only 6 from 18 needed, and Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea & Man City setting themselves up as the “elite” group of clubs.

Those 6 teams thus run English football in its entirety, and within a couple of years you have individual PPV tickets for those 6, with a European League replacing the Premier League as the main competition.

It’s probably inevitable but another little shift towards football ‘as we knew it’ ceasing to exist, and unless some billionaire swoops in even less chance of us ever being able to get back near the top.
Even if a billionaire turned up the big six could just stop them buying us.

Magwitch

Let’s be honest the community shield is just one game ffs! League cup could be kept for EFL clubs only. I would be in favour of cutting the Premier loose and the EFL be a stand alone competition and the champions qualify for the champions league and places for other European competitions, negotiate their own TV deals. It would be interesting to say the least.

lordy_87

I really don't see the point in scrapping the charity shield? What's their gripe with it?

D

Deleted member 2477

The big 5 have been trying to set up a break away league for years originally wanted to include arangers and Celtic.

if this happens its a nail in the coffin for the majority of clubs and football as we know it.

lets not pretend otherwise this is all about money. The top six and champions league want to monopolise football at the expense of everyone else

Magwitch

But at the end of the day the big teams can only field eleven players yes they can pay thousands a week but eventually they will have lots of gruntled players most being from over seas and someone will be top and someone bottom, if you look at the Premier now it’s a competition of the biggest foreign wallets, I’m not sure the English/British fans will ultimately accept that long term. If the EFL went UDI with another tv deal other than Sky how many footie fans across the country would cancel their Sky package, I’d think a lot. Lot of water to go under this bridge yet.

robbiekeane

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport condemned what it called a "backroom deal".

"We are surprised and disappointed that at a time of crisis when we have urged the top tiers of professional football to come together and finalise a deal to help lower league clubs, there appear to be backroom deals being cooked up that would create a closed shop at the very top of the game," a DCMS spokesperson said.

"Sustainability, integrity and fair competition are absolutely paramount and anything that may undermine them is deeply troubling. Fans must be front of all our minds, and this shows why our fan led review of football governance will be so critical."

Magwitch

Like I said earlier let the “big” six have their way, cut them adrift, no FA Cup, no League Cup, let them scrap the Community Sheild, why ? do our own tv deal, tell Sky to do one. It would have Government backing and more I’m certain fan backing and while we are at it get rid of Rick Parry long overdue imo, anyone who remotely sees this as progress for our football future is no use.

Brighton Sky Blue

Like I said earlier let the “big” six have their way, cut them adrift, no FA Cup, no League Cup, let them scrap the Community Sheild, why ? do our own tv deal, tell Sky to do one. It would have Government backing and more I’m certain fan backing and while we are at it get rid of Rick Parry long overdue imo, anyone who remotely sees this as progress for our football future is no use.

Scrapping parachute payments is something I would actively welcome to be fair

Users who are viewing this thread