Players and Managers Considerations (1 Viewer)

Bad Boy

I was just wondering if players and managers when a move to another club is on the table consider the local surroundings with regard to amenities, quality of schools for their children, nightlife, restaurants etc etc
Some parts of the country are more attractive to live in than others, fact.
Or is it just about a bigger salary and bonuses and the real chance of winning cups and medals that drives the decision?
What's your thoughts?

kg82

It’ll depend on the individual. Some players like staying in certain areas, some move about. Same with managers. Look at Curbishley. Settled back in London in his playing days and wouldn’t go anywhere else to manage, even though he was highly sort after. Then you’ve got others like Hodgson, who went all over the place! They’ll all consider everything about where they’re going. The main one will be for family.

SBAndy

Yes, but probably don’t put as much weight into it as a normal family would. As someone previously mentioned, it’s not uncommon for players to commute from a distance or rent locally during working time - Godden still lives in the South East if I’m not mistaken.

There’s always been an additional lure to move to London clubs for top-tier players, and it’s partially what got Sunderland into such a mess.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

There’s always been an additional lure to move to London clubs for top-tier players, and it’s partially what got Sunderland into such a mess.
I’m also convinced this is why I don’t think Celtic and Newcastle will be as successful as they think they will be with money.

you can pay players top Whack but ultimately the top players aren’t going to want to live in in Glasgow or up north.

edgy

Newcastle is a prime example of this. I watched a documentary a few years back which claimed Newcastle pay massively over the odds for players, manager and their salaries purely because they find it very hard to sell the actual place to them. They also have to target little known players from abroad more than other English clubs because of the same reasons.

Hobo

They dont have to actually live in Coventry though do they?
I would say a choice from Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. Maybe even Worcestershire.

That is a lot of choice if you are looking for a commute of an hour or less.

steve cooper

I would say a choice from Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. Maybe even Worcestershire.

What has Staffordshire done to upset you?

Bad Boy

Have you been to Stoke-on-Trent ?
I live just 10 miles north of Stoke duck in The Staffordshire Moorlands. It's an absolutely beautiful part of the country bordering onto The Peak District. Stoke on Trent and neighbouring Newcastle under Lyme itself......... there's some very nice parts, very desirable properties which would be an attraction for some players.
It's like Coventry, it has its nice bits and it has its not so nice bits.

slowpoke

I live just 10 miles north of Stoke duck in The Staffordshire Moorlands. It's an absolutely beautiful part of the country bordering onto The Peak District. Stoke on Trent and neighbouring Newcastle under Lyme itself......... there's some very nice parts, very desirable properties which would be an attraction for some players.
Actually I agree rural Staffordshire is up there with anywhere been often Stoke-on-Trent is an unfortunate part of it, bit like our near by Beduff and Treacle town

steve cooper

Yes, some of the villages around Stoke are lovely. Recently I was in Ipstones, a very nice location.

Bad Boy

Agree Hobo, neighbouring counties mentioned are lovely, I particularly like the Leicestershire/Northamptonshire border.
Personally think that living somewhere nice and being a shortish commute from doing something you really enjoy (like being a professional footballer) makes for a very pleasing and fortunate life choice.

SAJ

I was just wondering if players and managers when a move to another club is on the table consider the local surroundings with regard to amenities, quality of schools for their children, nightlife, restaurants etc etc
Or is it just about a bigger salary and bonuses and the real chance of winning cups and medals that drives the decision?
What's your thoughts?
Imagine most of the rent properties and keep a house in the area they gave their roots. When Mowbray was here he rented a nice place in Dunchurch. As a manager there is little point in buying mist don’t seem to be in a job for more than 2 years and many have been moved on far quicker than that.

Bad Boy

Newcastle is a prime example of this. I watched a documentary a few years back which claimed Newcastle pay massively over the odds for players, manager and their salaries purely because they find it very hard to sell the actual place to them. They also have to target little known players from abroad more than other English clubs because of the same reasons.
I have to say its not an area I know very well and in fairness I'm not attracted to. I'm sure it has its positives.

Bad Boy

Imagine most of the rent properties and keep a house in the area they gave their roots. When Mowbray was here he rented a nice place in Dunchurch. As a manager there is little point in buying mist don’t seem to be in a job for more than 2 years and many have been moved on far quicker than that.
Very true SAJ which is why I started the thread given that players and managers aren't in post for long. I wondered whether other members thought similar to me.

skybluegnome

It’ll depend on the individual. Some players like staying in certain areas, some move about. Same with managers. Look at Curbishley. Settled back in London in his playing days and wouldn’t go anywhere else to manage, even though he was highly sort after. Then you’ve got others like Hodgson, who went all over the place! They’ll all consider everything about where they’re going. The main one will be for family.
Back in the 90s I was living in Switzerland. At the time he was manager to Neuchatel Xamax

skybluegnome

Back in the 90s I was living in Switzerland. At the time he was manager to Neuchatel Xamax
Back in the 90s we were living in Switzerland. Roy Hodgson was the Manager of Neuchatel Xamax (which is were we lived). He then followed with taking on the role of the Swiss Manager and taking them to their first tournament in 28 years. Forever a Swiss hero. Highly Respected.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

What's your thoughts?

Most of the Cov players live in Lemington, I wonder why. 😕

Loughborough Sky Blue

Several players have lived in or near Loughborough in their time at city. Most recently Marko Marosi lived over my back fence, but he and I have both since moved house. Hucks lived here, and Gary McAllister lived in Quorn and was often seen in Loughborough. I’m sure there have been others, but they are the ones I know of for definite.

SkyBlueCharlie9

Dabo just moved in recently to house on the old Massey Ferguson site. Maybe he hoped he'd be near a stadium on Woodlands school site across the road!!!

Skyblueweeman

The thing is, no matter where players play, be it Cov, Celtic or Newcastle, there's always nicer areas and poorer areas. Players of course think of their families but I wouldn't say players wouldn't sign for a club because of where a club is (although there will be examples, but generally speaking).

Now if it was a choice between Coventry and Madrid, its a no brainer but for our level when the majority of our transfers are domestic, players will find nice areas to live in or as others have pointed out, will commute.

Users who are viewing this thread