New Stadium Announcement!!!!!! (8 Viewers)

Happy_Martian

Is this your first time reading a Tory councillors response to literally any development anywhere their voters live?

Maybe I’ve been primed being in the Finham FB Group the last couple of years.

At least I'm not alone in thinking that group has all extremes in it :) But there are enough regular folks to balance them out.

Esoterica

Absolutely, but when was the last time we heard from Tim? We need to draw a line under what happened before and see what happens with this, if it is a smokescreen and utter bollocks then we should all shout from the rooftops about it but personally I feel there has been a major shift in the last couple of years in the way that sisu have run things and as such I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt until proven one way or the other.

As we all know the world is proper fucked at the moment so we need to have patience with everything from this to signings to the shirt etc and judge on actions not on the past
Why do we need to draw a line under what has happened and just see what happens though? It sounds very passive.

If we were playing at the Ricoh on a short to medium term rent deal then we could afford a more laid-back approach to the new stadium. However, given our short term route back to the city is at a seemingly irremovable impasse and we only have a confirmed place to play, in another city, for 2 of the 5 years this proposed new stadium will take to be ready, then we should be demanding more details from our owners to prove it's not a smokescreen, not just giving them the benefit of the doubt until we know for sure either way.

mr_monkey

Why do we need to draw a line under what has happened and just see what happens though? It sounds very passive.

If we were playing at the Ricoh on a short to medium term rent deal then we could afford a more laid-back approach to the new stadium. However, given our short term route back to the city is at a seemingly irremovable impasse and we only have a confirmed place to play, in another city, for 2 of the 5 years this proposed new stadium will take to be ready, then we should be demanding more details from our owners to prove it's not a smokescreen, not just giving them the benefit of the doubt until we know for sure either way.

And I'm sure once they have more details to give they will give them, they are stuck between a rock and a hard place as before they gave more details when they weren't ready to and look where that got us

I understand the foaming at sisu as it's a situation that is in part obviously of their making but have patience especially with the way the world is at the moment.

The fact that the uni gave a joint statement (rather than before which was just tim et al blowing out of their arses) shows we are in a stronger position than before as what is in it for the uni to make a joint statement if there isn't anything really there

We aren't in cov this season due to wasps/the 3rd party so we need to draw a line under that and get behind this new stadium as due to the actions of others that appears to be our only route back

Magwitch

[QUOTE="mr_monkey, post: 2059956, member:We aren't in cov this season due to wasps/the 3rd party so we need to draw a line under that and get behind this new stadium as due to the actions of others that appears to be our only route back
[/QUOTE]

Not sure if that’s the only reason from the sisu point of view while we are playing behind closed doors then a likely reduced capacity being said about 17% which is just under 5000 what’s the rush especially if going back to the Ricoh was the dearer option. By the time crowds open up again hopefully this EU decision will have happened so we know then where we stand.

Esoterica

And I'm sure once they have more details to give they will give them, they are stuck between a rock and a hard place as before they gave more details when they weren't ready to and look where that got us

I understand the foaming at sisu as it's a situation that is in part obviously of their making but have patience especially with the way the world is at the moment.

The fact that the uni gave a joint statement (rather than before which was just tim et al blowing out of their arses) shows we are in a stronger position than before as what is in it for the uni to make a joint statement if there isn't anything really there

We aren't in cov this season due to wasps/the 3rd party so we need to draw a line under that and get behind this new stadium as due to the actions of others that appears to be our only route back
2 questions flipped:

If the club pull out/fail to commit to the new stadium, for any reason, what do the Uni have to lose from the initial announcement that they were planning for a partnership with the club?

And, how long are you prepared to wait for more details/information?

mr_monkey

2 questions flipped:

If the club pull out/fail to commit to the new stadium, for any reason, what do the Uni have to lose from the initial announcement that they were planning for a partnership with the club?

I'm willing to wait for as long as it takes, according to another poster on here (@chiefdave I think) there is some consultation planned for October time (covid permitting of course) so if that happens then we are on the right track

I guess for the uni it would be embarrassing if sisu pulled out as they would be another in the list of Coventry ventures fucked over by sisu

Sky Blue Pete

2 questions flipped:

Nothing

and

3 months tops

Esoterica

I'm willing to wait for as long as it takes, according to another poster on here (@chiefdave I think) there is some consultation planned for October time (covid permitting of course) so if that happens then we are on the right track

I guess for the uni it would be embarrassing if sisu pulled out as they would be another in the list of Coventry ventures fucked over by sisu
Fair enough but i think you are at one end of an extreme spectrum by being willing to take that leap of faith! :)

I don't think it would be at all embarrassing for the Uni. If anything they can actually claim the moral highground of having been prepared to allow their land to be used to get CCFC back home. Not like they're going to lose potential students because of the reputational impact of the partnership falling through.

NorthernWisdom

Fair enough but i think you are at one end of an extreme spectrum by being willing to take that leap of faith! :)

I don't think it would be at all embarrassing for the Uni. If anything they can actually claim the moral highground of having been prepared to allow their land to be used to get CCFC back home. Not like they're going to lose potential students because of the reputational impact of the partnership falling through.
I got told (I have no idea how accurate! Take chat down t'pub or, nowadays, on Teams! with the proverbial pinch of salt) they were planning a sports stadium of sorts for national university football competitions, anyway. If true and then we back out, any site could revert to that easily enough, couldn't it, without much hassle from the university at all.

Robinsboy

With what Boris has said about planning permission and people can go to the government rather than local council, will it he!p the City's cause?

Esoterica

CCC are agitated already about the announcement as we have seen.
I would prefer them to be kept in the dark as long as possible.
As long as we can see that meetings are taking place, I'm happy for the site to remain under wraps for a while.
Any idea of the general chronology of these types of builds and what steps along the way do require formal requests/submission to WDC?
I would have thought that could give us a rough idea of the sort of time CCC or the fans could be kept in the dark for? Or perhaps I'm being naive and there are too many variables involved to map that.

I've seen several people quote the 'spade in the ground' as the trigger point for believing but how far down the process could SISU go with a minimum outlay to keep up the facade? At what point does serious money have to be parted with?

NorthernWisdom

Any idea of the general chronology of these types of builds and what steps along the way do require formal requests/submission to WDC?
I would have thought that could give us a rough idea of the sort of time CCC or the fans could be kept in the dark for? Or perhaps I'm being naive and there are too many variables involved to map that.

I've seen several people quote the 'spade in the ground' as the trigger point for believing but how far down the process could SISU go with a minimum outlay to keep up the facade? At what point does serious money have to be parted with?
Even spade in the ground can, as I said above, still be reverted, if all you're doing is clearance and foundations.

it would, however, be progress wouldn't it. As would actual planning permission requests. Roll on the public consultation, if it's actually going to happen!

Ultimately, planning follows a process and CCC, WDC can't do anything to stop it if the process is right, and there are no grounds for refusal. As Brighton showed, when a council objects it slows the process but, ultimately, if there's weight on their side (and let's not forget, planning officers recommended *refusal* of the appeal when Hazel Blears allowed Falmer the go ahead) it will happen.

What CCC, WDC can't do is do anything to delay or frustrate however, when there's nothing to delay or frustrate! I'd feel a lot more sympathetic to claims of negative interference, if our owners gave us something that was able to be interfered *with*!

fernandopartridge

There will be a decent cost (not sure what we consider as significant) to the process of obtaining outline and full planning consent. Now I'd imagine a SPV will be set up between the UW and CCFC, probably a limited liability partnership which will be the developing company. I'm not sure who would bear the costs or how they're shared, there is a lot of detail to go through which in some respects allows us to give them the benefit of the doubt for a period.

mr_monkey

From their previous postings and their attempts to generalise, I suspect the former is equally true!

It's just having patience with it all, we all want info on it but that was one of the major issues last time in that Tim was flapping his gums saying things he shouldn't have been (seen how quiet he has been lately, almost a direct correlation with things improving and him not being a figure head)

I won't apologize for not being boo sisu and glass dry about it all, let's give them a chance to show their hand and go from there. If they don't and it's all another smokescreen I'll be front of the queue (as I was in the Northampton farce) saying that they have to leave but right now (and with the way the world is) we have to have patience with it all.

With it being wdc and both sisu and the uni's relationship with CCC not exactly being Rosey I imagine there is a lot of planning that has to be done to ensure it can't be stopped so instead of instantly going on what happened in the past what is wrong with a bit of optimism and they are only guilty of it not happening if it doesn't happen

mr_monkey

Because that's how long we've been claiming we're all set to build a new stadium, honest. It's not a hard thing to work out.

Yes but surely even you can see that circumstances have changed since then as have most of the people involved with the football club.

Why not see how it plays out now there are different people in charge of running it, who tbf over the last few years have a pretty good record

Esoterica

There's a Czech documentary movie called 'Czech Dream' that was made 18 years ago now. Sometimes I'm reminded of the whole stadium debacle. A couple of Czech guys wanted to demonstrate the post-communist growth of marketing, consumerism and greed in the country, so they built the front of a hypermarket in the middle of nowhere, had tv adverts, 1000s of flyers, radio jingles and reverse psychology adverts like 'Don't come here' and 'Don't spend your money'. In the end 3000+ people turned up to the ground opening, rushing in through the doors after the ribbon was cut, to find out there was literally nothing behind it all!

It's a pretty good film actually.

NorthernWisdom

TBH I wouldn't give credence to a threat from Fisher in a meeting
I think the point is, we've seen plenty to avoid giving credence to any statement they make about the thing.

The only way they'll prove different is by doing. It's a true mentalist who reads some words and thinks oh that's nice, after the repetitive, oh so repetitive tedious cycles of the past. No doubt it's the same type of mentalist who was rabidly excited at SISU coming in, decided anybody who wasn't entirely anti them during Northampton was a SISU rent boy, and swings more often than a pampas grass fanatic.

I reckon I should announce I'm going into partnership to build a 90,000 seat stadium for Coventry Sphynx somewhere near my back garden, site to be confirmed, and I'm getting it out there because I'd like some investors.

Interested? I'll let you in cheap as an early adoptor.

mr_monkey

Because that's how long we've been claiming we're all set to build a new stadium, honest (tbf, from @oldskyblue58 's post I'm wrong, and I should be quoting eight years). It's not a hard thing to work out.

You're a bullshitting owner's wet dream.

Or I actually take stock of the situation and base an opinion based on logic and the facts in front of me rather than holding onto old grudges which are based on people who aren't actively involved anymore

NorthernWisdom

Or I actually take stock of the situation and base an opinion based on logic and the facts in front of me rather than holding onto old grudges which are based on people who aren't actively involved anymore
Well you clearly don't. As the facts are there is no progress on a stadium, and the patterns are repeated ones from the past.

You really are a little bit simple.

steve cooper

It's probably been mentioned somewhere in this post but outline planning consent should be in process already, especially considering the urgency. This should be published following application, so it should be obvious very soon if this is likely to happen or not.

mark82

So

Of course not and it hasn’t come to that, yet. But we are now in the championship what happens if we do a Sheffield United ?
Another concern is an EFL me member (club) could complain forcing the EFL hand on this issue.

It would have to be a breach of rules for them to take action. It's not.

Also, I'm not sure any other club would be complaining about something that's putting us at a competitive disadvantage.

NorthernWisdom

God, I hope we get some actual, tangible progress for once.

Of course, the morons will decide that's proof they were right because they'll be too simple to work out the message, which is the pay-off, but you can't get everything in life.

Users who are viewing this thread