Match Thread MK Dons (Away) (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I don't think that is the case. He often praises him. He just doesn't think he should take risks when it's not needed - like today, which could have cost us.
Whenever I hear Oggy co-commentate I think he makes s lot of sense.

On the whole I agree about Oggy making sense, but you can tell he isn't a fan of keepers with the ball at their feet.

It's the thing about ex-pros offering their 'expert' advice. They offer insight into how things might be in training, dressing rooms etc but tactically it depends on how long they've not been playing/coaching.

Take Bennett when he's on. It's always "get the ball down the wing, get to the byline and cors it for someone to get their head on". That's a very old fashioned view of how to play and if it were Dave from the pub rather than Dave the ex-pro (but probably still in the pub) you'd dismiss his opinions as out of date.

Oggy only left the club a year or two ago so is still reasonably up to date with goings on, but as time goes on his insight won't be as instructive. Given squad turnover he's not going to know many of the players etc.

If you asked many of the most famous industrialists over time their opinions on how to run industry today they'd offer very little indeed because their ideas and practices are massively outdated now.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It’s not personal, I’m just sick and tired of the negative energy that’s seemingly constant with some people ...even despite a promotion, cup wins and a league championship in recent years. Add the negativity regarding off the field matters and it all becomes fucking suffocating.

As far as match day threads; it’s important to separate opinion from slagging off players (which you didn’t do). A bad 10/15 minutes doesn’t make a professional football player garbage/crap...but if you post that it does, when their career spans years and the game is 90 minutes long, you’ve basically made a written invitation for hindsight. To be fair though, it wasn’t that bad today, just a bit of whiff here and there.

People watching/listening to games will be nervous and anxious due to the uncertainty of what will happen. This leads to a natural inclination to think negatively. If somethings going bad, you expect it to get worse. If it's going well you're waiting for the wheels to fall off. And as Cov fans we've more reason than most over history to have that mindset.

NortonSkyBlue

People watching/listening to games will be nervous and anxious due to the uncertainty of what will happen. This leads to a natural inclination to think negatively. If somethings going bad, you expect it to get worse. If it's going well you're waiting for the wheels to fall off. And as Cov fans we've more reason than most over history to have that mindset.
I hear you but you are over analysing it. It’s fools looking for perfection in an imperfect game. We do alright.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

On the whole I agree about Oggy making sense, but you can tell he isn't a fan of keepers with the ball at their feet.

It's the thing about ex-pros offering their 'expert' advice. They offer insight into how things might be in training, dressing rooms etc but tactically it depends on how long they've not been playing/coaching.

Take Bennett when he's on. It's always "get the ball down the wing, get to the byline and cors it for someone to get their head on". That's a very old fashioned view of how to play and if it were Dave from the pub rather than Dave the ex-pro (but probably still in the pub) you'd dismiss his opinions as out of date.

Oggy only left the club a year or two ago so is still reasonably up to date with goings on, but as time goes on his insight won't be as instructive. Given squad turnover he's not going to know many of the players etc.

If you asked many of the most famous industrialists over time their opinions on how to run industry today they'd offer very little indeed because their ideas and practices are massively outdated now.

Oggy wasn't any good with the ball at his feet, ie Wembley ect.

Esoterica

Cant constantly praise players when they don't play well though. Just being honest instead of blowing false smoke up their arses.
You've never praised him when he has played well though so that's a bit of a disingenuous point. 2 seasons of being scathing about him and then oddly silent last season.

mrtrench

No keepers were in his day. Just boot it upfield was the default

I never understood that. If you didn't have a Dion who won the ball in the air most of the time you are just handing the ball to the opposition to attack you. Our kick offs also frustrated me. For years it seemed that we just kicked a diagonal ball for a winger to chase, which conceded possession 80% of the time.

mrtrench

Another thought about passing around at the back from a goal kick. I like the idea in principle but I think we can improve upon it with some extra rules. When teams press us and we get into trouble we just need to boot the ball out. Defenders would do that all the time when they are attacking us and consider it essential or even good play - it's not a very different situation.

What we actually do is try to get the ball back to the keeper who is then pressed and we concede a few goals that way. That has to be outlawed unless the path is very clear and there is nobody close to the keeper. The keeper should never fanny about when pressed - just boot it anywhere.

We also need a plan B for when teams are pressing us that way for every goal kick. If their forwards are pressing that must create more space further up the field and kicking may yield better than 50% possession retention.

Bugsy

Take the ball, pass the ball, doing it the Mark Mr sky blue Robins way... PUSB

Frostie

Another thought about passing around at the back from a goal kick. I like the idea in principle but I think we can improve upon it with some extra rules. When teams press us and we get into trouble we just need to boot the ball out. Defenders would do that all the time when they are attacking us and consider it essential or even good play - it's not a very different situation.

What we actually do is try to get the ball back to the keeper who is then pressed and we concede a few goals that way. That has to be outlawed unless the path is very clear and there is nobody close to the keeper. The keeper should never fanny about when pressed - just boot it anywhere.

We also need a plan B for when teams are pressing us that way for every goal kick. If their forwards are pressing that must create more space further up the field and kicking may yield better than 50% possession retention.

There is always a Plan B in our system which is to clip it to the wing backs who should be high & wide. Our problems come when we take too long to make that decision.

Sky Blue Pete

Professional players should very rarely just boot it out. I’m happy that plan b would be to go long or longer but not an aimless boot. When teams press is when it works best, it’s not the wrong tactic it’s having players confident and competent enough to make it work

Nick

Administrator
On the subject of people getting annoyed about people being negative during the game: I think it's fine to express the emotion you feel at the moment you feel it. We all know that feeling when a player is pissing you off with shit passes or missed tackles etc and then they score a screamer and you're going wild. It's ok to resend someone's previos comment and we should all be willing to laugh at ourselves in this situation! I've spent whole matches moaning about some idiot in Sky Blue and then chanting their name when they score the winner, it's part of the theatre of sport I think

People do that all the time.

I often get pissed off watching a game and rant, if we end up winning 2-1 it doesn't mean that in the 9th minute went we went one-nil down because of a howler I shouldn't be annoyed.

People then come on later on after only seeing the result and having no idea what the rant was about and quote it to try and act smug.

mrtrench

Professional players should very rarely just boot it out. I’m happy that plan b would be to go long or longer but not an aimless boot. When teams press is when it works best, it’s not the wrong tactic it’s having players confident and competent enough to make it work

I agree - but I'd sooner see us boot it out than pass back to the keeper when he is under pressure.

SeaSeeEffCee

I often get pissed off watching a game and rant, if we end up winning 2-1 it doesn't mean that in the 9th minute went we went one-nil down because of a howler I shouldn't be annoyed.

People then come on later on after only seeing the result and having no idea what the rant was about and quote it to try and act smug.
It's mainly people who I'm fairly sure didn't even watch the game and never comment on how we played/how the game went etc.

NortonSkyBlue

It is different to watch the ebb and flow of a game and give it a Ffs than to get out your phone and write a rant about an error goal conceded or a simple chance fluffed. Personally I don’t have an issue with rational criticism but saying a player is shit isn’t supportive or an immediate emotional response, it’s a petulant outburst IMO.
We all see the game differently as the MK game showed. Shipley was awful for some and MOM for others.

Grendel

Grendel

Planet support your team, you should try it. I thought you would be the first to respond in support of your love child.

Have you ever been to a game - when have you Ever heard;

“Oh bravo Mr Kyle well done for missing your fifth chance of the game - oh now you’ve been sent off but bravo again for a jolly good effort”

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Planet support your team, you should try it.

Isn't that exactly what the govt are asking for?

"It doesn't matter we're making a pigs ear of things. The fact is you're British so should support the British govts actions regardless of whether they're of an acceptable standard. If you don't you're clearly not a true Brit"

Justified criticism is part and parcel of it. If you tell people they're doing great even when they're a pile of dogshit isn't going to make them a better player. You tell it like it is. If they're shit you can say so. If they're good you can cheer and sing their name til you're hoarse.

There are a few who will just give dogs abuse to a particular player regardless of what they do. Similarly there are others who will treat a player like a hero even if they're playing as if they've never seen a football before. But on the whole it's pretty even handed, with merit, critcism and opinions on improving dished out when they're warranted

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That's true SBD but once they picked it up they'd bounce it a couple of times then drop kick out of their hands upfield ;)

Because they had no need to be taught how to have the ball at their feet, so they'd be shit at it. Hence the hoof and the propensity for all CF and CB to be huge lummoxes with a short nippy player running in behind in case of a flick on.

If they had played it short and got pressed it'd just be passed back to the keeper and they'd have picked it up again. Pointless CB's then weren't taught to pass much either - just get it back to the keeper or kick it out if under pressure. So you can say it's just as much the fault of technically deficient defenders.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I don't think it is as binary as some make out. I.e. scathing negativity and deluded positivism. A match thread is exactly what it is, a live update of what's going on. It's great when twenty people post stuff and go mental when we score a goal, it makes up for not being able to go to the games a bit more. Equally when someone scores an own goal or gets sent off, I actually find it comical watching the Samaritans switch board light up.

One of my funniest posts last season was getting frustrated with Walsh being unable to shoot. He then skinned about 7 players and hammered the ball into the roof of the net, which made me look like a right bellend as it was about ten seconds after I submitted the post. Would we really want to stop seeing that shit? It was hilarious.

I think everyone needs to chill a bit and enjoy the upcoming football. There will be highs and there will be lows, lets enjoy it together.

shmmeee

It is different to watch the ebb and flow of a game and give it a Ffs than to get out your phone and write a rant about an error goal conceded or a simple chance fluffed. Personally I don’t have an issue with rational criticism but saying a player is shit isn’t supportive or an immediate emotional response, it’s a petulant outburst IMO.
We all see the game differently as the MK game showed. Shipley was awful for some and MOM for others.

Disagree. Match threads on here are for live discussion as the game is going on, same as in the pub or at a match. I have my phone out while I watch the game and drop random comments in. It’s no different to turning to the person I’m with when I’m at the match and saying the same.

Ring Of Steel

Isn't that exactly what the govt are asking for?

"It doesn't matter we're making a pigs ear of things. The fact is you're British so should support the British govts actions regardless of whether they're of an acceptable standard. If you don't you're clearly not a true Brit"

Justified criticism is part and parcel of it. If you tell people they're doing great even when they're a pile of dogshit isn't going to make them a better player. You tell it like it is. If they're shit you can say so. If they're good you can cheer and sing their name til you're hoarse.

There are a few who will just give dogs abuse to a particular player regardless of what they do. Similarly there are others who will treat a player like a hero even if they're playing as if they've never seen a football before. But on the whole it's pretty even handed, with merit, critcism and opinions on improving dished out when they're warranted

So what you're saying is that we're making a pigs ear of things but expecting unwavering support? Cause last time I looked we hadn't lost a competitive game in over 8 months, just got promoted as Champions & had the best season most- if not all- of us can ever remember. Not sure what more they are supposed to do tbh, I guess we just have some very, very critical & fickle people supporting us.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

So what you're saying is that we're making a pigs ear of things but expecting unwavering support? Cause last time I looked we hadn't lost a competitive game in over 8 months, just got promoted as Champions & had the best season most- if not all- of us can ever remember. Not sure what more they are supposed to do tbh, I guess we just have some very, very critical & fickle people supporting us.

I wasn't a reflection of our current situation, just an example of what I thought the person was expecting if we were making a pigs ear of it - unwavering support and no allowance of any criticism or frustration. That's not realistic. I don't believe in singling out individuals for abuse at all but to not expect some sort of negative reaction to things not going well isn't living in reality.

For clarification I think the last two to three years have been really good (on the pitch) and 2020 has been superb. I hope it continues.

usskyblue

Disagree. Match threads on here are for live discussion as the game is going on, same as in the pub or at a match. I have my phone out while I watch the game and drop random comments in. It’s no different to turning to the person I’m with when I’m at the match and saying the same.

I don’t think anyone’s saying they don’t understand the mood rollercoaster of the game. I’ll ‘For ‘Fuck Sake’ countless times during a game and observe who’s playing well and who’s having an off day. However, I also understand they’re human fucking beings and a bad game or a mistake is going to happen every now and then. It certainly doesn’t make them ‘shit’ or ‘garbage’. I wouldn’t call them that at a game, let alone log-on and type it out. There’s nothing wrong with a considered opinion but calling players ‘shit’ is just nonsense. We are lucky to have a brilliant manager and I trust him to make the necessary adjustments at a time that he sees fit...but he’s human too.

Hindsight is always 20/20...but it’s less of a bitch if what you did or said was done with good intention

Users who are viewing this thread