Match Thread MK Dons (Away) (2 Viewers)

SeaSeeEffCee

Don't think there is anything more tedious than the blokes that sit on here, not commenting on the football, but instead become Captain Hindsight at the end of the game and moan that people were criticising a poor performance in the thread specifically designed to discuss the game as it happens. We were pretty poor for 60 minutes today, then made a few subs and looked a lot better. Of course people are going to say the performance has been poor when the performance has been poor. There are some obvious examples of hyperbole, i.e. calling Giles a shit defender because he lost his man once after 2 minutes, but in the by and large most people are just commenting on the game as they see it at the time.

Like I said, poor performance for the most part today which really highlighted just how important Kelly (or a Kelly-like player) is to our side. Nothing that gave particularly cause for overarching concern as most of the poor play felt like rustiness and a slightly lax attitude as opposed to a genuine lack of quality. One real positive that shone through was our quality on the counter attack, mainly via O'Hare and Giles, which I thought was very encouraging, especially seeing as we're going to be having a lot less of the ball this season. Godden still far too isolated, but Walker looked very promising in his cameo and we really could have scored more on a good day, although we equally could have been 3-0 down at half time.

Evo1883

Don't think there is anything more tedious than the blokes that sit on here, not commenting on the football, but instead become Captain Hindsight at the end of the game and moan that people were criticising a poor performance in the thread specifically designed to discuss the game as it happens. We were pretty poor for 60 minutes today, then made a few subs and looked a lot better. Of course people are going to say the performance has been poor when the performance has been poor. There are some obvious examples of hyperbole, i.e. calling Giles a shit defender because he lost his man once after 2 minutes, but in the by and large most people are just commenting on the game as they see it at the time.

Like I said, poor performance for the most part today which really highlighted just how important Kelly (or a Kelly-like player) is to our side. Nothing that gave particularly cause for overarching concern as most of the poor play felt like rustiness and a slightly lax attitude as opposed to a genuine lack of quality. One real positive that shone through was our quality on the counter attack, mainly via O'Hare and Giles, which I thought was very encouraging, especially seeing as we're going to be having a lot less of the ball this season. Godden still far too isolated, but Walker looked very promising in his cameo and we really could have scored more on a good day, although we equally could have been 3-0 down at half time.

We were shite for much of today's games, wether we won or not that's a fact... A fact that people were discussing... Some people have serious problems when it comes to others critiquing a performance, its a little weird... It's what pundits do all day every day, its what people do at work, in the pub etc etc... . It's part of the game

steve101

This is how I would rate the team today:

Marosi 7 (would be higher if not for a couple of moments with the ball at his feet)
Pask 6
Drysdale 6
McFadzean 8
Hyam 7
Giles 8
Hamer 7
Shipley 5
Allen 6
O'Hare 8 MoM
Godden 6

Subs
Walker 7
Kelly 8
Baka 8

Grendel

it’s almost like a pre season friendly. Win or lose it’s not a big deal it’s more fitness levels and formation

it’s going to be interesting to see formation wise how we set up. If we go 3 at the back and one up front on Saturday it will be interesting especially if Kelly doesn’t start.

I think very early in he will have to change it and Marosi will have to adjust his distribution

Other than that it’s ok but next week is when it begins

Mucca Mad Boys

I don't think that is the case. He often praises him. He just doesn't think he should take risks when it's not needed - like today, which could have cost us.
Whenever I hear Oggy co-commentate I think he makes s lot of sense.

I don’t think Oggy dislikes Marosi at all.

He suggested he was MOTM (I agree), but on another day his lapses of concentration today could’ve cost us. Their first opportunity should been a goal, or at least have at least tested Marosi!

Mucca Mad Boys

it’s almost like a pre season friendly. Win or lose it’s not a big deal it’s more fitness levels and formation

it’s going to be interesting to see formation wise how we set up. If we go 3 at the back and one up front on Saturday it will be interesting especially if Kelly doesn’t start.

I think very early in he will have to change it and Marosi will have to adjust his distribution

What changes do you think he’ll make?

Personally, I think the 5 defenders is here to stay - a lot of teams in English football are adopting it.

Where I agree with you is that I think we’ll need to become more direct as a whole. For this reason, I can see us adopting 2 strikers in the current framework.

Grendel

What changes do you think he’ll make?

Personally, I think the 5 defenders is here to stay - a lot of teams in English football are adopting it.

Where I agree with you is that I think we’ll need to become more direct as a whole. For this reason, I can see us adopting 2 strikers in the current framework.

We will see how it develops. Without Dabo and McCallum in a higher division I think we could get stretched a lot

fernandopartridge

Like last season I feel like the confusion between Marosi and his defenders was more a lack of practice at the pace of the 'proper' game than anything else, and once they worked out what to do with a pressing team we were fine. As I said earlier in this thread the problems were compounded by Shipley in midfield who both sat very deep and offered no option at all for playing out from the back.

Grendel

Not a big deal????

Which other UK football team is undefeated at full time in every competitive games during the present decade?

As I say it’s irrelevant - Jersey Bulls by the way check them out

Mucca Mad Boys

We will see how it develops. Without Dabo and McCallum in a higher division I think we could get stretched a lot

I don’t disagree with that point.

Pask did not look convincing at RWB or RB today, despite showing some good last ditch defending. The sooner Dabo comes back, the better.

My concerns is that with a flat 4 in defence, McFadz is more vulnerable because he’s slower. Judging by today, he’s my second name on the team sheet. I maintain Kelly and McFadzean’s is too important to leave out the team at this moment.

Also, I don’t think we have the wingers to make a meaningful formation change. Jobello is still out, Jones also needs to eased in and Hilßner is not 100% either. All of the wingers we do have are also primarily right wingers (despite 2 being left footed).

This could change as Robins makes his last moves in the transfer market.

Hobo

Keepers are coached to distribute a lot differently to back in the day. A hoof to the halfway line or an occasional throw out wide to the full back - anything else was frowned upon.

In fairness to Oggy he accepts Marosi tries to play it short and that is the way City play. But he did say the way MK pressed you can't always play it short without putting defenders under pressure. It is about decision making and sometimes you need variation and go long to find the space.

The one time he did go long we won a throw in in their half. Lots of times we went short we conceded possession.

If people want a pop at Oggy fine, but lets be accurate on what he actually said. He said he made good saves, the penalty save was excellent and he was a contender for man of the match.

capel & collindridge

As I say it’s irrelevant - Jersey Bulls by the way check them out
No need, Check out the status of Jersey.

Jersey is not part of the United Kingdom,[15] and has an international identity separate from that of the UK,[16] but the UK is constitutionally responsible for the defence of Jersey.[17] The definition of United Kingdom in the British Nationality Act 1981 is interpreted as including the UK and the Islands together.[18] The European Commission confirmed in a written reply to the European Parliament in 2003[19] that Jersey was within the Union as a European Territory for whose external relationships the UK is responsible. Jersey was not fully part of the European Union but had a special relationship with it, notably being treated as within the European Community for the purposes of free trade in goods.

Grendel

No need, Check out the status of Jersey.

Jersey is not part of the United Kingdom,[15] and has an international identity separate from that of the UK,[16] but the UK is constitutionally responsible for the defence of Jersey.[17] The definition of United Kingdom in the British Nationality Act 1981 is interpreted as including the UK and the Islands together.[18] The European Commission confirmed in a written reply to the European Parliament in 2003[19] that Jersey was within the Union as a European Territory for whose external relationships the UK is responsible. Jersey was not fully part of the European Union but had a special relationship with it, notably being treated as within the European Community for the purposes of free trade in goods.

Oh dear

SkyBlueOz

Sorry but without having to be trawling back. What did Drysdale get the Red for and is there any footage of Marosi's penalty save? Ifollow wasnt on offer overseas for this game, so missed the lot.

robbiekeane

It's almost as if a comments made at different points were based on the facts as they stood rather than now
Agree, pisses me off too. Robins and the coaching staff will be sat on the bench saying what needs to be improved and talking to each other about the things we are doing poorly. Just like fans in the stands. Just like people in the pub, Oggy on the commentary, pundits on TV on other games, etc.
Pretty boring if the match thread, which is literally the place for live comments on the game, is only allowed to say positive stuff all the time 😂
It happens because it’s live emotional reactions and personal opinions because fans want our team to be as good as we know and think we can be....

Hindsight executioners have no credibility

Grendel

It gets worse. Even after winning 27 games on the trot, "It was later confirmed that the Combined Counties League had been abandoned with all results null and voided".

Which could have happened to us - are you feeling ok

Mucca Mad Boys

Agree, pisses me off too. Robins and the coaching staff will be sat on the bench saying what needs to be improved and talking to each other about the things we are doing poorly. Just like fans in the stands. Just like people in the pub, Oggy on the commentary, pundits on TV on other games, etc.
Pretty boring if the match thread, which is literally the place for live comments on the game, is only allowed to say positive stuff all the time 😂
It happens because it’s live emotional reactions and personal opinions because fans want our team to be as good as we know and think we can be....

Hindsight executioners have no credibility

Surely you’ve got the sense of humour to laugh when people have made comments, in the heat of the moment, that turn out to be utterly wrong?

usskyblue

It's almost as if a comments made at different points were based on the facts as they stood rather than now

It’s not personal, I’m just sick and tired of the negative energy that’s seemingly constant with some people ...even despite a promotion, cup wins and a league championship in recent years. Add the negativity regarding off the field matters and it all becomes fucking suffocating.

As far as match day threads; it’s important to separate opinion from slagging off players (which you didn’t do). A bad 10/15 minutes doesn’t make a professional football player garbage/crap...but if you post that it does, when their career spans years and the game is 90 minutes long, you’ve basically made a written invitation for hindsight. To be fair though, it wasn’t that bad today, just a bit of whiff here and there.

Last edited:

AFCCOVENTRY

People have to remember, players to come back from injury:

Dabo
DaCosta
Rose
Kelly
Jobello
Jones

Some ahead of others in game time and recovery.

Plus, potentially some new players to come that Robins is after. Of course Sheaf and Leo just come in.

A lot to look forward to.

Users who are viewing this thread