MCSHEFF: My future is here (1 Viewer)

Marty

Good return for a player not playing as a striker.

Please remind me how many goals in how many games our striker Platt scored?

We got relegated through lack of goals. Goals mean points. What is the use of having a striker that can't score goals setting up players that can't score goals. If all our players had scored as many goals as Sheffers, including our strikers, we would not have been relegated. Still, at least we have a scapegoat

Scapegoat?? don't make me laugh, when have I ever made him out to be that?? just saying he isn't good enough and wasn't for the past 1 and a half seasons up to Christmas, and his goal record is very poor, 6 goals from open play for a player like that is awful, If we want to progress as a club, we need to cut the likes of McSheffrey who is extremely inconsistent and replace with 3 or 4 good quality league one players.

Astute

How about sorting out strikers that can score first.

torchomatic

So, if he's so crap who going to get his crappy goals instead? Nimley, Platt, McDonald? Come on give us answers rather than just slagging him off!

Thank God we had Mcsheffrey or we would have been down months ago.

Scapegoat?? don't make me laugh, when have I ever made him out to be that?? just saying he isn't good enough and wasn't for the past 1 and a half seasons up to Christmas, and his goal record is very poor, 6 goals from open play for a player like that is awful, If we want to progress as a club, we need to cut the likes of McSheffrey who is extremely inconsistent and replace with 3 or 4 good quality league one players.

Marty

So, if he's so crap who going to get his crappy goals instead? Nimley, Platt, McDonald? Come on give us answers rather than just slagging him off!

Thank God we had Mcsheffrey or we would have been down months ago.

Get rid of McSheffrey must be on close to 8k a week?, you can bring in 2 or 3 solid league one players, Cody scores goals in that division, you could bring in another goal scorer to play off him. Then a goal scoring midfielder or another winger.

Don't get me wrong, I'd get rid of the whole squad if I could and only keep the youth players, my posts have been aimed at McSheffrey as this is a thread about him.

torchomatic

So how do you KNOW that McSheffrey won't flourish in L1?

Can't say I agree.

Yes he gets goals which of course we can't deny, but the rest of the time he isn't very good at all. He can be shocking 89 minutes of the game but score a goal which is I think why he still gets a game.

Last season he had a few months when he was awful, the same this season.

Isn't that a description of a top class striker "He can be shocking 89 minutes of the game but score a goal", which in League 1 he will be. You certainly cant question his effort.

Marty

So how do you KNOW that McSheffrey won't flourish in L1?

so how do you know that McSheffrey won't get injured in his first game and miss most of the season?

We need to get the most bang for our buck, Selling McSheffrey and brining in 3, means we have 2 more player to rely on, thus solving the depth issue (only ever so slightly) but I feel it would be a step in the right direction.

Astute

So when you mention a lack of goals from a non striker, but we are not supposed to mention a lack of goals from our strikers?

So you think he is on 8k a week? I suppose a clause was not put in for a reduction in wages if relegation happened? We can only guess what he was on and what he will be on next season. SISU were reducing wages on all signings. I think he will be on less than that myself. We will also need players like him next season if we are going to have a chance of going up.

Delboycov

I actually think McSheffrey gets more stick and a lot of it unjustified...because he's from Coventry. He's doing what we all would love to do...fulfilling our dreams of playing for the club we love and hasn't been the 'Roy of the Rovers' that we would all obviously be. One of our better players 2nd half of the season and potentially one of the most talented players in the whole of League 1.

Marty

So when you mention a lack of goals from a non striker, but we are not supposed to mention a lack of goals from our strikers?

So you think he is on 8k a week? I suppose a clause was not put in for a reduction in wages if relegation happened? We can only guess what he was on and what he will be on next season. SISU were reducing wages on all signings. I think he will be on less than that myself. We will also need players like him next season if we are going to have a chance of going up.

We wont be going up, not with this squad, it needs major over hauling and correct me if i'm wrong but i haven't said anything about other forwards??

I will now if you want me to:- Platt & Nimley are simply not good enough, I wouldn't keep Platt (I have said this many times this season). Nimley is going back to man city and I wouldn't have him back. Cody hasn't had a long run out over 15-20 games yet, but looks promising and was happy when he signed.

Baker, Bell, McPake & Deegan - Always injured, move on.

As said earlier, we need to most from our money, no point having people here who can only do 10-15 games at most.

Nick

Administrator
I actually think McSheffrey gets more stick and a lot of it unjustified...because he's from Coventry. He's doing what we all would love to do...fulfilling our dreams of playing for the club we love and hasn't been the 'Roy of the Rovers' that we would all obviously be. One of our better players 2nd half of the season and potentially one of the most talented players in the whole of League 1.

I don't give him stick because he doesn't score enough or because he is coventry. It is the whole "I am from coventry, I love the club, this is killing me seeing us in the position" and then goes out and is shocking. Against Doncaster he was diabolical for somebody who was wanting to help save his club from relegation.

Would he really be one of the most talented players in league one? I wouldn't have him in the top 10.

covcity4life

Isn't that a description of a top class striker "He can be shocking 89 minutes of the game but score a goal", which in League 1 he will be. You certainly cant question his effort.

thats the thing..YOU CAN question it,when he chickens out of every 50/50 and every contested header

Nick

Administrator

I guess so when it comes to players like Berbatov, but when they are kicking the ball out of play, overhits crosses, flaps it from challenges, doesn't track back with his man, gets easily beaten and gives away silly fouls it isn't quite the same.

He doesn't have to go into the CET and say about how he loves the club, how he would do anything blah blah. I think if 99% of city fans on here got given a game they would literally take a kick in the face to stop a goal, chase every dead ball down and literally run until they had a heart attack not stroll around like he is walking his dog.

yes he has scored some goals but hes been anonymous in plenty of games too which hasnt helped

hes not half the player he was when he signed for blues back in 06

too many fans still think he is

We wont be going up, not with this squad, it needs major over hauling and correct me if i'm wrong but i haven't said anything about other forwards??

I will now if you want me to:- Platt & Nimley are simply not good enough, I wouldn't keep Platt (I have said this many times this season). Nimley is going back to man city and I wouldn't have him back. Cody hasn't had a long run out over 15-20 games yet, but looks promising and was happy when he signed.

Baker, Bell, McPake & Deegan - Always injured, move on.

As said earlier, we need to most from our money, no point having people here who can only do 10-15 games at most.

In our position it is not a case of being not good enough so get rid. We also need to increase the squad numbers. Using your logic we would lose Mcsheffrey, Nimely, Platt, Baker, Bell, Mcpake & Deegan. That means we would need 7 new players to just break even on numbers and also need signings to provide us with the cover we have so desperately been lacking this season. Giving a total of about 10-12 new signings. Not going to happen. Believe it or not, we would need most of what we have now for next season plus additions.

Last year, everyone was happy when we got rid of the likes of Mcindoe & O'Halloran (last years equivalents of the list you have named), but in hindsight would we have been satisfied if we had them as back up over this last year? Probably.

Astute

What I am saying though is there are players we need to shift and replace before Sheffers. We lost out bad this season by selling Juke and keeping strikers that can't strike.

Any player that did OK this season should do better next season. The ones that didn't help the cause should be shipped out. Lets not get rid of goalscoring players without replacing them first, otherwise we will struggle again.

What I am saying though is there are players we need to shift and replace before Sheffers. We lost out bad this season by selling Juke and keeping strikers that can't strike.

Any player that did OK this season should do better next season. The ones that didn't help the cause should be shipped out. Lets not get rid of goalscoring players without replacing them first, otherwise we will struggle again.

who would you get rid off mate ?

torchomatic

But, I would imagine he's not contacting the CT saying "please let me give another interview...puuullleeaaassee". I guess it's a case of they go to him, ask him questions and then print what he says. Hardly his fault.

Still reckon we would be a poorer team without him. No one has come close to his goal tally.

He doesn't have to go into the CET and say about how he loves the club, how he would do anything blah blah. I think if 99% of city fans on here got given a game they would literally take a kick in the face to stop a goal, chase every dead ball down and literally run until they had a heart attack not stroll around like he is walking his dog.

Nick

Administrator
No I realise he doesn't phone them, but I don't think he has to spout the shite? The same as when Thorn was speaking before Doncaster about having the team fired up blah blah and then 11 wet fish come out who couldn't be bothered.

torchomatic

But no one can see into the future. No player or manager expects their team to play crap. They all go out there expecting to win. Doesn't always happen.

No I realise he doesn't phone them, but I don't think he has to spout the shite? The same as when Thorn was speaking before Doncaster about having the team fired up blah blah and then 11 wet fish come out who couldn't be bothered.

Can't say I agree.

Yes he gets goals which of course we can't deny, but the rest of the time he isn't very good at all. He can be shocking 89 minutes of the game but score a goal which is I think why he still gets a game.

Last season he had a few months when he was awful, the same this season.

That coming from a guy who has Clingan as his avatar!!! LOL :facepalm::D

Nick

Administrator
But no one can see into the future. No player or manager expects their team to play crap. They all go out there expecting to win. Doesn't always happen.

Yes, we still may get beaten by a better team which is of course acceptable.

I understand they don't go out to play badly, but they certainly didn't go out to give 110% and get stuck in and fight to keep us in the Championship.

As a city fan I would have wanted to see him busting a gut, chasing everything down, not giving defenders time to think, tracking back, going in for every challenge to win the ball.

On Saturday we didn't have any winners in the team!

but we expect in a relegation battle to show fight just bristol city did

on april 6th we were out the bottom 3 and all on here said wed stay up because we had a easier run in

bristol city showed how it was done we didnt

Marty

In our position it is not a case of being not good enough so get rid. We also need to increase the squad numbers. Using your logic we would lose Mcsheffrey, Nimely, Platt, Baker, Bell, Mcpake & Deegan. That means we would need 7 new players to just break even on numbers and also need signings to provide us with the cover we have so desperately been lacking this season. Giving a total of about 10-12 new signings. Not going to happen. Believe it or not, we would need most of what we have now for next season plus additions.

Last year, everyone was happy when we got rid of the likes of Mcindoe & O'Halloran (last years equivalents of the list you have named), but in hindsight would we have been satisfied if we had them as back up over this last year? Probably.

Baker, Bell, McPake & Deegan are always injuried, It's no good keeping players who aren't useful to the club, They will be earning championship wages, probably still be earning twice as much as a good solid league one player, get rid of those 4.

We need the most from our money, having players on the treatment table offers us nothing in return, we need to trim the needless waste, injury prone players fall in to that category. I suspect we need to ship out players before we can bring in.

Sisu_Cockroaches

You say that with some conviction, but he wasn't sold last season. And no-one has been rumoured to have been sniffing around him.

Of course he will be sold, anyone who is worth anything will be sold. I doubt if he would have moved to another championship club while we were in that league but now were in league one and he will probably want to move to another club in the championship. i dont even think he is a city fan anyway, he's just from Coventry. If he was so much of a fan he would have been more vocal in what is happening to the club, but no.

Strikers that can't score.
Players that don't play

Once that part is sorted we would need enough players for a full team. We could then have a decent squad

so who would you put in that bracket?

because the players that do i cant see anyone coming for them mate , thats the worry

flammablepiss

Facebook User
Personally I think he is exactly the kind of player we will need next season. Someone that cares about the club and can give a little push to some of the other players.
Sure he has made a lot of mistakes this season but who hasn't? Its not one individual players fault we have been crap, i'm sure it rubs off on each other! I certainly rate him above almost all of the other crap we have in that area of the pitch... Bell, Baker, Clingan! He is a good player that we can likely keep so to throw him away in the position we are now wouldn't be constructive.

Hugh Jarse

Will he be another Craig "I won't leave this club if they get relegated" Bellamy?

If he's classed as one of the best we've got, if he don't leave, he'll be sold. In fact, if any of us happen to be strolling round the stadium on a Saturday afternoon, don't be surprised to be offered a game!

Astute

so who would you put in that bracket?

because the players that do i cant see anyone coming for them mate , thats the worry

I know this is the case with most of them. It is who I put into the get rid of bracket though. Out of contract is all we can sort out. Platt is past it as well as not a goalscorer. 1 game a week is not good enough when you only have a small squad.

Users who are viewing this thread