MCSHEFF: My future is here (1 Viewer)

Marty

Shame, done piss all for the first 1 and a half seasons back. Get rid.

The boy has been good on his day. Much better than some others that have been cack every match i.e. Bell.

He will be useful in League 1.

torchomatic

Nonsense. Who else would've scored the goals he got for us this season?

Shame, done piss all for the first 1 and a half seasons back. Get rid.

mattylad

form dropped off very badly in the last few games but over all has been one of the more consistent performers.

Nick

Administrator
form dropped off very badly in the last few games but over all has been one of the more consistent performers.

Can't say I agree.

Yes he gets goals which of course we can't deny, but the rest of the time he isn't very good at all. He can be shocking 89 minutes of the game but score a goal which is I think why he still gets a game.

Last season he had a few months when he was awful, the same this season.

ashbyjan

Just when things couldn't look any bleaker - he signed until 2015 season. Of course he's going no where, no other team is stupid enough to pay him the sort of money we have committed to - what next Bell and Baker pledge their undying loyalty. We are stuck with these wasters and their ridiculous wages will stop us getting the depth of squad we need to scrap in Div 1 - Bells 6.5K a week could pay for 3 or 4 Div 1 players for example.

torchomatic

I'm sure you know how the whole football thing works? More goals than the opposition, etc? Just checking.

Yes he gets goals which of course we can't deny,

Marty

Nonsense. Who else would've scored the goals he got for us this season?

So he wasn't absolute dog shite for us?? Yeah he scored a few, means fuck all though. still ended up with the same result.

torchomatic

Marty

We'll have to disagree on that.

Still playing in league one next season, his performances at the start of the season and the whole of last season were dreadful. Rewarded with a 3 year contract. no wonder this club has no future.

So he wasn't absolute dog shite for us?? Yeah he scored a few, means fuck all though. still ended up with the same result.

Correct he wasn't absolute dog shite for us (most of the time). If we had a few more players that could get goals like he has (including strikers) we might not be looking forwards to league 1 next season.

Nick

Administrator
They got promoted when he was there. He played 10 and got 1 goal (a sliced cross that ended up in the back of the net).

Man of Match on his debut.

But they told him they didn't want him?

He gets the odd goal which of course we need, but his performances are shocking otherwise. Can we afford the luxury of having a player who will do absolutely nothing for 5 games and then score a goal?

Against Doncaster last week he was abysmal, even more so after all of his talk in the CET. He looked disinterested.

He gets the odd goal which of course we need, but his performances are shocking otherwise. Can we afford the luxury of having a player who will do absolutely nothing for 5 games and then score a goal?

Against Doncaster last week he was abysmal, even more so after all of his talk in the CET. He looked disinterested.

that could be down to a lack of competition for starting places. I think if you are surrounded with enough shit, you'll eventually start looking like it yourself. He just needs a bit of quality around him to spur him on again.

For me he has done a solid job (not outstanding) most of the time, but has been shit occasionally. It's easy to forget solid performances and remember the poor ones.

ashbyjan

Why should we love Sheff just cos he's from Cov - Jon Gaunt is from Cov and he's a grade a tosser. Shef has underperformed in the majority of games yet before nearly every mathc he is the one self publicising - beating his breast, claiming he will sweat blood for his home team and invariably spends the game avoiding doing anything useful or positive. He's a very average player with a totally over inflated opinion of his own ability - he has no pace, cannot cross, cannot beat a man and doesn't track back ever. Gives away stupid free kicks constantly having inevitably miscontrolled the ball. His only saving grace is he does pop in a few goals and he's better than Bell - hardly grounds for a three year contract and the unquestioning devotion of the fans.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Can't say I agree.

Yes he gets goals which of course we can't deny, but the rest of the time he isn't very good at all. He can be shocking 89 minutes of the game but score a goal which is I think why he still gets a game.

Last season he had a few months when he was awful, the same this season.
I agree with this, I think his knack off being able to pop up with goals is a good reason to keep playing him though in a side with few goalscorers.

He should do well in league 1, I doubt many championship clubs will be interested in him anyway and not any with ambition.

Marty

Why should we love Sheff just cos he's from Cov - Jon Gaunt is from Cov and he's a grade a tosser. Shef has underperformed in the majority of games yet before nearly every mathc he is the one self publicising - beating his breast, claiming he will sweat blood for his home team and invariably spends the game avoiding doing anything useful or positive. He's a very average player with a totally over inflated opinion of his own ability - he has no pace, cannot cross, cannot beat a man and doesn't track back ever. Gives away stupid free kicks constantly having inevitably miscontrolled the ball. His only saving grace is he does pop in a few goals and he's better than Bell - hardly grounds for a three year contract and the unquestioning devotion of the fans.

His scoring record isn't all that either, 8 in 36, 2 of which were penalties (possibly one more?)

torchomatic

Now, I wouldn't say I'm in the Sheff fanclub or anything, but I don't see what you see. No, he's not had his best season, but I think he can cross and beat his man. After Juke left he was the only player who looked like scoring consistently. I do think fans are too harsh on him.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Wouldn't say he looked disinterested but he was poor capped off by a shocking miss.

In the second half of the season he was a lot more consistent than 1 in 5, more like a 1 in 3 in the second half of the season which warrants a place in the side. In a side that scores few we need a player that can get goals from a deeper midfield position.

Off the top of my head here's some of his goals since he's been back with us.

2010/2011
Doncaster (H) - diving header
Burnley (A) - beat 3 men and curled a chip into the far corner
Watford (H) - touch and low volley from an angle towards the far post

2011/2012
Reading (H) - Rocket from a massive angle not far from the byline into the top corner of the near post
Brighton (H) - Solo run from his own half and a 25 yard finish
Birmingham (H) - Planted a looping header from a static position over the keeper and into the far post

No doubt in my mind that he still has absolute quality. Consistent or not he can still be great and it's up to himself, AT, coaching staff & the players around him to get the best out of him. Would keep him in the Championship let alone League 1.

Astute

His scoring record isn't all that either, 8 in 36, 2 of which were penalties (possibly one more?)

Good return for a player not playing as a striker.

Please remind me how many goals in how many games our striker Platt scored?

We got relegated through lack of goals. Goals mean points. What is the use of having a striker that can't score goals setting up players that can't score goals. If all our players had scored as many goals as Sheffers, including our strikers, we would not have been relegated. Still, at least we have a scapegoat

torchomatic

theprince

If I was manager he would be one of the first on my list to get shut of, unfortunately he has over 3 years of contract to sit on probably on atleast £5k a week, when that is up he will be coming up 32 so all the way round it is dead money. Why would I get rid, not a team player IMO and plays for himself, always has done. A view shared amongst the dressing room I believe.

Astute

How many times did Sheffers beat his man on the wing to find out he had no target to aim at?

Looking forward to watching him play next season. Sheffers, a fit, uninjured Cody and hopefully a striker to go with Cody and wr will score lots of goals. We all know what Cody can do at Div 3 level.

Before anyone has a pop at me I am not happy to be in Div3. It is where we are though. It is also our best chance of competing with our academy lads coming through. If we go up next season we will have experienced youngsters ready to have a go at the Championship again.

Users who are viewing this thread