Matty James (1 Viewer)

Opinion on James

• Class. Should be signed if possible in the summer

Votes: 217 90.8%
  • Average. He flatters to decieve and we shouldn’t necessarily sign him in the summer

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Poor, stay away in the Summer

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

Danceswithhorses

I would not be surprised to see him turn up at Forest or Derby (providing they stay up). They can pay or get closer to his wages. Fits the type of player they usually go for
Sadly, i think that is probably the most likely thing that will happen.
I do think he'd like to play closer to home, which is why we were a good fit for him this season, and why he left Barnselona.
That said, the likes of Derby and Nottingham are good shouts, as they both have bigger budgets and are not too far from his family home.

Grendel

Doubt they'd be interested considering hes flattered to deceive for us

Why not? Given they’ve a history of splashing high wages on big name mediocre performers

Magwitch1

You’re aware they have wage bills 4 or 5 times ours? Plus Derby and Forest have sold plenty of players over the last couple of seasons...
I am for last season but I think next season could be a whole different ball game I’m certain there will be change, possible wage capping despite what the PFA say. there’s a number of championship clubs been paying over a 100% or very near of what their income is on wages alone and then bleated about their finances due to lock down.
As I said I’m sure there will be change and we might find out soon.

Frostie

This is a really good article & as James himself says, one of the reasons he was convinced we were the right club for him was the discussion that if it all went well there would be a permanent contract on offer for him. It'd be naïve to think we hadn't had a discussion about the type of package he'd require. I'm not saying it's a done deal but would definitely say we're in pole position.

TM8792

You said Maddison wouldn’t make it so I take your opinion on good footballers with a large grain of salt

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:😂😂😂😂

I've been on a few forums in my time and dealt with a lot of plonkers, but Grendel really takes the cake. He actually said that? Anyone with half a footballing brain cell could see Maddison was far too good for our level at the time.

Grendel

He said Maddison wasn't worth much.

What would he go for now, £50m? £60m? More?

Probably thinks he flatters to deceive.

Better take it up with other people before me

Gibbo

Last season we blew a lot on O'Hare's wages; this is a comparable scenario.

But does a central midfield duo of two from Kelly, James & Hamer cut the mustard? In a 3-4-1-2 formation, I'm not sure it does. One of the central pillars of 2019-2020 was Kelly in a defensive mode with Walsh injecting pace - the most extreme example being the winner against Rochdale, but the winner against Bristol Rovers away was another.

So if not Walsh (expense, availability, fitness are all against it) then somebody of his ilk would be my preference for midfield.

SlowerThanPlatt

But does a central midfield duo of two from Kelly, James & Hamer cut the mustard? In a 3-4-1-2 formation, I'm not sure it does. One of the central pillars of 2019-2020 was Kelly in a defensive mode with Walsh injecting pace - the most extreme example being the winner against Rochdale, but the winner against Bristol Rovers away was another.

So if not Walsh (expense, availability, fitness are all against it) then somebody of his ilk would be my preference for midfield.

Is Walsh fast? I remember him having good ball control but not particularly fast

Mucca Mad Boys

Is Walsh fast? I remember him having good ball control but not particularly fast
He injected pace, it's notb quite the same thing

Correct me if I’m wrong, I think Gibbo meant pace on the ball.

Something Walsh did brilliantly for us is picking the ball up in midfield and driving us forward. Someone who was a fast ball carrier without having absolute pace.

Spurs 'City Away Kit' Kit

Kelly, James & Hamer & Sheaf wouldn’t be bad. We have to accept that getting only half of a seasons games out of Kelly is a likely scenario and an alternative leader with composure (James) is vital.

We all know that the transfer and wage budget will still be one of the lowest in the Championship and to push on I would say that strengthening the CBs is the priority (over a Walsh type). Ideally Osti plus another is needed which will cost in terms of wages at the least. For stability and a platform to move forward we will need at least one of those to be a perm, especially with the Fadz contract position.

skybluetony176

Don’t know if class is the right word but he’s certainly contributed, he certainly has the right experience for championship football, he certainly brings much needed maturity to the squad and I think if we do sign him starting a season already settled in a team he’ll offer more than we’ve already seen from him so I’d absolutely sign him.

cc84cov

Kelly, James & Hamer & Sheaf wouldn’t be bad. We have to accept that getting only half of a seasons games out of Kelly is a likely scenario and an alternative leader with composure (James) is vital.

We all know that the transfer and wage budget will still be one of the lowest in the Championship and to push on I would say that strengthening the CBs is the priority (over a Walsh type). Ideally Osti plus another is needed which will cost in terms of wages at the least. For stability and a platform to move forward we will need at least one of those to be a perm, especially with the Fadz contract position.
If we can save 750k on sheaf and push Eccles on it makes sense their very similar

wingy

Do we take he's received a healthy settlement, meaning wages are less of an issue should a lower level club go in for him?

slowpoke

Earned over one and a half million this season plus any bonus for Leicester winning the FA cup and maybe a bit more if they make the champions league. Wether that influences his aspirations I wonder can’t see him chasing the dollar staying local he doesn’t have to move or uproot his family. I suppose it’s a question of how much we think he is worth to us.

skyblue1991

According to Salary Sport, Matty James was on £34k a week when at Barnsley

If that is what he is demanding to sign for us you can fuck off

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

slowpoke

According to Salary Sport, Matty James was on £34k a week when at Barnsley

If that is what he is demanding to sign for us you can fuck off

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk
His contract at Leicester was about £34k a week I suppose Barnsley paid part of that I’ve read on here £10k but don’t know if that is accurate.

Colin Steins Smile

You’re aware they have wage bills 4 or 5 times ours? Plus Derby and Forest have sold plenty of players over the last couple of seasons...
Given the failure of the recent takeover and the loss of the Keogh compensation case, which cost £2.6m And Derby being more closely scrutinised for FFP. Added to which, if they are hit with a 10 point deduction for next season, then any player moving there know they are in a relegation battle before a ball is kicked.
I would guess they’ll be attempting to drastically reduce their wage bill. Finally, would MJ like the idea of being coached by Wayne Rooney.....someone he’d observed during his development at Carrington training ground?

steve cooper

He is probably set up for life with the money he has earned, probably around £10m while at Leicester.
I doubt at age 30 his main driver is money.

Alkhen

Hoping he stays, grew into the team and can see him being crucial to our progression to a secure Championship team.

Like others have said I'd not break the bank, we just have to look at the likes of Derby to see where that gets you. I do have a good feeling we stand a chance due to us being close to home for him.

Would be a dream scenario If we can start next season with a rotatable midfield 4/5 of:
Kelly
Eccles
Sheaf
Hamer
James
O'hare
Walsh

People stress that is too many but we struggled with injuries all this season with not much chance to rest players

slowpoke

Hoping he stays, grew into the team and can see him being crucial to our progression to a secure Championship team.

Like others have said I'd not break the bank, we just have to look at the likes of Derby to see where that gets you. I do have a good feeling we stand a chance due to us being close to home for him.

Would be a dream scenario If we can start next season with a rotatable midfield 4/5 of:
Kelly
Eccles
Sheaf
Hamer
James
O'hare
Walsh

People stress that is too many but we struggled with injuries all this season with not much chance to rest players
If it’s still seven subs I would think there would be three midfield one thing I thought we struggled with this season is a lack of quality on the bench

Hertsccfc

Kelly
Eccles
Sheaf
Hamer
James
O'hare
Walsh

They're all good players but that's six players for the defensive midfield positions and one in the more forward position. The lack of a second effective forward midfielder this season was our biggest weakness and we were so lucky that O'Hare did so well.

Not sure we could keep all of the six happy. Next year fixtures won't be so compressed so depth of squad may not be so necessary.

Alkhen

They're all good players but that's six players for the defensive midfield positions and one in the more forward position. The lack of a second effective forward midfielder this season was our biggest weakness and we were so lucky that O'Hare did so well.

Not sure we could keep all of the six happy. Next year fixtures won't be so compressed so depth of squad may not be so necessary.

I get that but Eccles is still a Yong player and could be loaned out. I also feel Hamer could play in a more free role, might suit him

Users who are viewing this thread