Matty James (3 Viewers)

Opinion on James

• Class. Should be signed if possible in the summer

Votes: 217 90.8%
  • Average. He flatters to decieve and we shouldn’t necessarily sign him in the summer

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Poor, stay away in the Summer

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It’s the owners inability or lack of desire to try and fund some form of competitive budget as their only desire is fund recovery and investor payback

So you think the club shouldn't be responsible and live within it's means or attempt to increase budget through improved performance and should instead get handouts from those in charge to fund more than it can afford?

Hobo

No in the lower leagues but the owners have zero interest in taking the club to another level and as you all know Mr Robins whatever anyone thinks of him worships at the Sisu temple

I will await your Taxi For Sisu Thread next season then.

procdoc

No in the lower leagues but the owners have zero interest in taking the club to another level and as you all know Mr Robins whatever anyone thinks of him worships at the Sisu temple
So you’d prefer a manager that didn’t get on with the owners? If that was the case he wouldn’t be managing us would he

Sky Blue Pete

Who do you think is covering the costs this season and last slowpoke? How much money do you think will have been lost in the last 18 months? Maybe a bit of balance would be in order

CDK

Robins works with what he's got and looks to get on with joy and Dave boddy in a good way and I'm thankful he does .people trying to stir shit with anti Sisu and trying to rewind the clock for whatever the reasons .
We all are aware for a new owner but since mark robins and boddy coming in to the club ,I think joy has been an ok owner .
Think from next season we have a long term plan and we should get behind the club from top to bottom and would love to see the moaners who spout off in the arena stay away.

Marty

Who do you think is covering the costs this season and last slowpoke? How much money do you think will have been lost in the last 18 months? Maybe a bit of balance would be in order

Aren't we about square over the past 18 months? Sale of McCallum then the huge bump in TV money?

Sky Blue Pete

Aren't we about square over the past 18 months? Sale of McCallum then the huge bump in TV money?
Doubt it. Maybe if the season had finished and we’d got some big crowds winning the league we’d have come close. I would think we had a 6 figure loss season we won league one and who can guess this last season. Not dismissing the Northampton move that was outrageous but the Birmingham one was different and we are back hopefully with fully open grounds

slowpoke

A lot of lost income pre-covid was self inflected and avoidable. Once covid kicked in we were pissing in the same pot with all clubs.

Grendel

So you think the club shouldn't be responsible and live within it's means or attempt to increase budget through improved performance and should instead get handouts from those in charge to fund more than it can afford?

Its nothing to do with the club being responsible its to do with the owners.

Have these owners by your definition been responsible in the last two seasons? Without COVID we would have had significant revenue reduction anyway and that is a deliberate strategy decision (a stupid one by a fairly hapless fund manager)

The term handouts is absurd. Not every club blows millions and also not every club tries (and in our case repeatedly fails) to remain cash neutral. The strategy is selling assets to fund annual losses and when that fails get loans to pay back with some hefty interest rates. Its hardly shrewd management.

This owner has no interest in the club other than paying back interest and capital to its fund owners. It has no care what division we are in and will just adjust accordingly to try and achieve that aim

It has a management team that seem to work within this better than they have done anywhere else so it certainly works for both parties but long term we would be far better having owners with a targeted vision for the club - not a means to pay back some anonymous investors.

chiefdave

Aren't we about square over the past 18 months?
This tends to change with what argument people are having.

If anyone says SISU have done well to bring the club near to self sufficiency when we were losing millions a year its dismissed as incorrect but if anyone suggests SISU are keeping the club going by covering losses that's also dismissed as we're self sufficient!

Frostie

Have these owners by your definition been responsible in the last two seasons? Without COVID we would have had significant revenue reduction anyway and that is a deliberate strategy decision (a stupid one by a fairly hapless fund manager)

The term handouts is absurd. Not every club blows millions and also not every club tries (and in our case repeatedly fails) to remain cash neutral. The strategy is selling assets to fund annual losses and when that fails get loans to pay back with some hefty interest rates. Its hardly shrewd management.

This owner has no interest in the club other than paying back interest and capital to its fund owners. It has no care what division we are in and will just adjust accordingly to try and achieve that aim

It has a management team that seem to work within this better than they have done anywhere else so it certainly works for both parties but long term we would be far better having owners with a targeted vision for the club - not a means to pay back some anonymous investors.

Can't disagree with any of that but can't see anyone falling over themselves to buy a club in our situation either.

Grendel

Can't disagree with any of that but can't see anyone falling over themselves to buy a club in our situation either.

Unfortunately nor do I. I cannot see any change for a few years they are settled with the strategy but lets forget the notion the woman who controls the funds has any interest in the club other than investment recovery.

procdoc

Unfortunately nor do I. I cannot see any change for a few years they are settled with the strategy but lets forget the notion the woman who controls the funds has any interest in the club other than investment recovery.
I agree with that. I still prefer a manager to not be at loggerheads with the owners though. Robins knows the situation and is acutely aware of the limitations he has to work with. If he kicked off with the owners and left we could end up with another Russel Slade

Frostie

I don't imagine there's many that do actually have that notion G.

I just think we should be appreciating a manager that can work in the constraints that the model imposes but has also managed to negotiate a position where he has as much control as he does over the recruitment side etc. rather than criticising him for it.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

To be honest I'm largely with you on this. We're not self-sustaining as people seem to be suckered into believing but neither are they investing to improve us.

Although I'm sure lots of people won't thank me for this the point was comparing what you want here to how you've advocated the country being run. Not investing to improve but instead reducing investment, cutting costs and focus on debt (austerity). Selling assets to fund losses (privatisation) .

Take some of your own lines and apply them to your own political ideals and they're the complete opposite.

"This owner has no interest in the club other than paying back interest and capital to its fund owners." This has been Tory economic strategy since they took over.

"We would be far better having owners with a targeted vision for the club - not a means to pay back some anonymous investors." Again, the Tories have no targeted vision - they're focused on repaying debt and the return to anonymous investors. Those with a targeted vision you deride as being head-in-the-clouds idealistic idiots.

Like a lot of people who follow your line of economic thinking, it's fine until it's something that they're involved in. Then all of sudden it goes out of the window.

Sky Blue Pete

I wonder if that’s true. I wouldn’t be that certain. Have you spoken to them and asked about the vision and aims or are you making a calculated guess based on the little you know?

letsallsingtogether

I wonder if that’s true. I wouldn’t be that certain. Have you spoken to them and asked about the vision and aims or are you making a calculated guess based on the little you know?
Depends if you believe anything they say I dont have lied for years why would they change now.
Their vision Oh that new ground is it finished yet?

Terry Gibson's perm

Believe it or not money isn’t the only thing a player considers when making a move. If he can come here and earn 7.5k, without having to move house, uproot his family and leave where he has been for the last 10 years to join a club where he is a guaranteed starter. I’m sure he’d much rather do that than join someone like Middlesbrough on 13k a week where he will have to completely uproot and isn’t guaranteed to play.

Some players will take less money to stay in the area, if you listen to Steve Froggatt’s interview on bbc he says he turned more money down from Middlesbrough to stay in the same house as his wife was pregnant at the time to sign for us.

Grendel

Its what I know from their actions rather than mealy mouth words. I've met some of this hapless bunch and they are very underwhelming in my view. Many like Garlick have been taken in and made to look rather foolish. Sepalla is the the Hedge Fund equivalent of Basil Fawlty in the hotelier world. Why not tell her that the next time she's spouting utter bollocks when you meet her

Sky Blue Pete

Depends if you believe anything they say I dont have lied for years why would they change now.
Their vision Oh that new ground is it finished yet?
I think the way the club has been run in the last 10 years has been chalk and cheese. The first 6 years was disastrous and the last 4 not at all

Sky Blue Pete

Its what I know from their actions rather than mealy mouth words. I've met some of this hapless bunch and they are very underwhelming in my view. Many like Garlick have been taken in and made to look rather foolish. Sepalla is the the Hedge Fund equivalent of Basil Fawlty in the hotelier world. Why not tell her that the next time she's spouting utter bollocks when you meet her
Why is she basil fawlty is she not successful? She seems relatively successful in terms of profit and position. In any case the football club is all I am interested in not Sisu and not joy really although she’s pretty lovely on a purely personal level

How have people been taken in? The new stadium? Believing she cares about the football club? Can you be specific?

letsallsingtogether

Why is she basil fawlty is she not successful? She seems relatively successful in terms of profit and position. In any case the football club is all I am interested in not Sisu and not joy really although she’s pretty lovely on a purely personal level

How have people been taken in? The new stadium? Believing she cares about the football club? Can you be specific?
BTW both of the options you have given.
So where are we on the new stadium? the first one should have been open years ago. When I met her "we were choosing between 2 preferred sites, we couldnt survive at the Ricoh and had moved on". Her words not mine.
Posters on here cry about our supporters not going to games and only going to Wembley does that sound familiar, well our owner is one, she has shown me nothing to suggest she cares.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread