Matty James

Opinion on James

• Class. Should be signed if possible in the summer

Votes: 158 90.3%
  • Average. He flatters to decieve and we shouldn’t necessarily sign him in the summer

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • Poor, stay away in the Summer

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

Danceswithhorses

Mar 26, 2011
Coventry
I would not be surprised to see him turn up at Forest or Derby (providing they stay up). They can pay or get closer to his wages. Fits the type of player they usually go for
Sadly, i think that is probably the most likely thing that will happen.
I do think he'd like to play closer to home, which is why we were a good fit for him this season, and why he left Barnselona.
That said, the likes of Derby and Nottingham are good shouts, as they both have bigger budgets and are not too far from his family home.

Magwitch1

Feb 28, 2021
You’re aware they have wage bills 4 or 5 times ours? Plus Derby and Forest have sold plenty of players over the last couple of seasons...
I am for last season but I think next season could be a whole different ball game I’m certain there will be change, possible wage capping despite what the PFA say. there’s a number of championship clubs been paying over a 100% or very near of what their income is on wages alone and then bleated about their finances due to lock down.
As I said I’m sure there will be change and we might find out soon.

Frostie

Jan 31, 2011
This is a really good article & as James himself says, one of the reasons he was convinced we were the right club for him was the discussion that if it all went well there would be a permanent contract on offer for him. It'd be naïve to think we hadn't had a discussion about the type of package he'd require. I'm not saying it's a done deal but would definitely say we're in pole position.

TM8792

Dec 7, 2020
You said Maddison wouldn’t make it so I take your opinion on good footballers with a large grain of salt
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:😂😂😂😂

I've been on a few forums in my time and dealt with a lot of plonkers, but Grendel really takes the cake. He actually said that? Anyone with half a footballing brain cell could see Maddison was far too good for our level at the time.

PVA

Apr 22, 2011
He said Maddison wasn't worth much.

What would he go for now, £50m? £60m? More?

Probably thinks he flatters to deceive.

Grendel

Sep 19, 2011
He said Maddison wasn't worth much.

What would he go for now, £50m? £60m? More?

Probably thinks he flatters to deceive.

Better take it up with other people before me

Gibbo

May 26, 2011
Last season we blew a lot on O'Hare's wages; this is a comparable scenario.

But does a central midfield duo of two from Kelly, James & Hamer cut the mustard? In a 3-4-1-2 formation, I'm not sure it does. One of the central pillars of 2019-2020 was Kelly in a defensive mode with Walsh injecting pace - the most extreme example being the winner against Rochdale, but the winner against Bristol Rovers away was another.

So if not Walsh (expense, availability, fitness are all against it) then somebody of his ilk would be my preference for midfield.

SlowerThanPlatt

Dec 16, 2011
Herefordshire/Coventry
Last season we blew a lot on O'Hare's wages; this is a comparable scenario.

But does a central midfield duo of two from Kelly, James & Hamer cut the mustard? In a 3-4-1-2 formation, I'm not sure it does. One of the central pillars of 2019-2020 was Kelly in a defensive mode with Walsh injecting pace - the most extreme example being the winner against Rochdale, but the winner against Bristol Rovers away was another.

So if not Walsh (expense, availability, fitness are all against it) then somebody of his ilk would be my preference for midfield.
Is Walsh fast? I remember him having good ball control but not particularly fast

Mucca Mad Boys

Jul 26, 2012
Coventry
Is Walsh fast? I remember him having good ball control but not particularly fast
He injected pace, it's notb quite the same thing
Correct me if I’m wrong, I think Gibbo meant pace on the ball.

Something Walsh did brilliantly for us is picking the ball up in midfield and driving us forward. Someone who was a fast ball carrier without having absolute pace.