Matty James (1 Viewer)

Opinion on James

• Class. Should be signed if possible in the summer

Votes: 217 90.8%
  • Average. He flatters to decieve and we shouldn’t necessarily sign him in the summer

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Poor, stay away in the Summer

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

In my opinion all budgets could be similar this season I’m certain once this season is over there will be changes to how things have been done in all the EFL divisions wage capping despite what the PFA say I’m sure will happen, gone a bit quiet now but under the surface government involvement will look for change most EFL clubs are still up to their eyeballs with debt. Just an opinion.

Wage-capping will be a long and protracted court case and would likely lead to not only the best foreign players not coming here but also an exodus of the better homegrown talent abroad, which would have advantages and disadvantages.

I still think some sort of cap based on income is the way to go - preventing overspending but not hampering retention of talent. I'd much rather see a squad cap of 40-odd players on pro-contracts per team and to bring someone in you have to release or sell someone else when you reach that limit. That inclues U23's. More young talent would filter down the leagues allowing those teams to benefit not just from their talent but financially as the player will be their asset, thus improving the overall quality rather than sitting in a top clubs U23's or going out on loan.

Offhegoes

I would be happy if he signed, then again I wouldn't be bothered if he didn't. His injury record worries me, and we are sure to be blowing a lot of the budget to bring him in.

James was very good for us last season, but I think without him, Kelly, Sheaf, Eccles are more than capable, and then picking up a young rough diamond from League 1/2. I think it's a case of that Central Midfield is the one position where we are quite strong.

Greggs

I would be happy if he signed, then again I wouldn't be bothered if he didn't. His injury record worries me, and we are sure to be blowing a lot of the budget to bring him in.

James was very good for us last season, but I think without him, Kelly, Sheaf, Eccles are more than capable, and then picking up a young rough diamond from League 1/2. I think it's a case of that Central Midfield is the one position where we are quite strong.
So, when Kelly gets injured, do you promise not to freak out when Eccles and Sheaf have to carry the midfield?

Colin Steins Smile

In my opinion all budgets could be similar this season I’m certain once this season is over there will be changes to how things have been done in all the EFL divisions wage capping despite what the PFA say I’m sure will happen, gone a bit quiet now but under the surface government involvement will look for change most EFL clubs are still up to their eyeballs with debt. Just an opinion.
Whilst they'll be a lot of bluster and posturing from government regarding governance of football in England, I don't expect much to change....especially on the running of privately owned clubs. I can't see them legislating on the level of debt the company owning a football club chooses to operate ....assuming it can service that debt.
Any move in that direction goes against their principles of the free market.

fernandopartridge

100%
Nothing new here really - good player attracts interest from other clubs - it'd be a surprise if he didn't. If not for his injuries, he'd be a Premier League player.

We discussed the possibility of him joining us permanently when taking him on loan, he's settled in the area & enjoyed his time here so he knows the lay of the land.
Other clubs will offer more money & maybe a shot at the playoffs & he'd be foolish not to explore all his options.

I'm relaxed either way - would love to get him but, if not, we move on to other targets.

It'll be interesting though to see whether beyond the manager's interest, other clubs are willing to offer high wages for a player with his injury record. Undoubtedly their ceiling is higher than ours but it may not be much higher.

fernandopartridge

If you completely ignore all the clubs in receipt of parachute payments of course

slowpoke

It'll be interesting though to see whether beyond the manager's interest, other clubs are willing to offer high wages for a player with his injury record. Undoubtedly their ceiling is higher than ours but it may not be much higher.
I would expect any negotiating will have been done a while ago Robins will know exactly what James wants wage wise so it will be down to one if he wants him obviously and two if James wants a higher wage. His agent talking to other clubs would always happen.

Users who are viewing this thread