Matty Godden (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

Haaland gets away with it to be fair , part of our problem is the deliveries to the CF are neither to feet or any good in general .. today you saw allen give 2 balls to goddens feet in the box and he scores

And btw ,godden works tirelessly , another myth that he contributes nothing

I’m not questioning his work rate, just the impact that work has on the opposition. He is almost criminally slow, if we aren’t sat in the final third he’s next to useless. I think he presses better than Simms who IMO needs to step up a lot, but the rest of his game just isn’t as dangerous.

Ask me to pick a player to save my life by getting a shot off in the box and it’s Godden every time, but if we aren’t making it to the box he’s less effective. And that’s not a slight at him, Langstaff from what I can tell would have similar issues.

That said Simms goal record is so poor he’s got the opposite issue.

Londonccfcfan

Sure , but he has the best goalscoring record from the strikers
Evo we get it! We know what he brings to the table and what he doesn't!

Imo no matter how much I respect Godden. Simms is the future and better all round striker, no contest, there is a time and place for Godden too.

fernandopartridge

If you look at some of his goals before he came here he looked fairly calm in front of goal. Currently it's the one major failing of our management team being unable to get that out of him.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I wouldn't blame the management team, it's just his price tag weighing heavy on his own conscience

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Evo1883

I’m not questioning his work rate, just the impact that work has on the opposition. He is almost criminally slow, if we aren’t sat in the final third he’s next to useless. I think he presses better than Simms who IMO needs to step up a lot, but the rest of his game just isn’t as dangerous.

Ask me to pick a player to save my life by getting a shot off in the box and it’s Godden every time, but if we aren’t making it to the box he’s less effective. And that’s not a slight at him, Langstaff from what I can tell would have similar issues.

That said Simms goal record is so poor he’s got the opposite issue.

I think and still maintain , even with Simms that we don't involve the CFs enough in build up play and don't get the ball to feet enough in and around the box ..

I think it was slightly better today with palmer and o hare playing as it's more intricate and silky pass and move as opposed to the direct nature of haji wright .. but pur centre forwards need the balls to feet in and around the box, it matters not how often they head a ball down the wing or flick a ball on , that's the cold hard truth

Evo1883

Imo no matter how much I respect Godden. Simms is the future and better all round striker, no contest, there is a time and place for Godden too.

You can't be a better All round striker if you don't score goals , that's like saying Kevin kyle was a better all round striker than Michael chopra

Hertsccfc

In what way is he better? I just don't see it. He is faster than Godden of course, but he's not very fast, and Godden's movement is much better. I also think Godden's control is better. And of course Godden's goalscoring is vastly superior and that is the most important thing.

Londonccfcfan

You can't be a better All round striker if you don't score goals , that's like saying Kevin kyle was a better all round striker than Michael chopra
He scored 7/8 for Sunderland this time last year. Not quite happened for him yet. But it will do. He's been there or there abouts.

shmmeee

I think and still maintain , even with Simms that we don't involve the CFs enough in build up play and don't get the ball to feet enough in and around the box ..

I think it was slightly better today with palmer and o hare playing as it's more intricate and silky pass and move as opposed to the direct nature of haji wright .. but pur centre forwards need the balls to feet in and around the box, it matters not how often they head a ball down the wing or flick a ball on , that's the cold hard truth

He's faster and stronger .. that's it

Can't shoot straight yet

Hit shot power would be several points above Goddens, his finishing several points below.

Godden couldn’t have set up our second today, that’s the ultimate difference. But equally Simms often looks like he can’t shoot straight or trap a bag of sand. The hope is we can train that into him, unless we give Godden wheels he ain’t getting any faster.

shmmeee

People really need to stop leaning on Simms Sunderland record though. It means nothing to have one purple patch. He’s still got to prove himself.

Evo1883

Yes he's stronger, bigger and much quicker. He's handfull.

It's been painfull watching Godden offering nothing up front literally a passenger in recent months.

You will be bitterly disspointed with langstaff , seems you can't see past a cart horse now

Evo1883

I'm 100% opposed to Langstaff...no fucking way in hell is a 26 year old lower league journeyman even ready fir championship football.

So you just don't like goalscorers ? What is it ?

You definitely said Stern John was shit and adebola was amazing didn't you ?

covcity4life

Are lots of different types of strikers in this game. Is a need for target men types just as much as poacher types even if goal tally's are not the same

Hertsccfc

People really need to stop leaning on Simms Sunderland record though. It means nothing to have one purple patch. He’s still got to prove himself.
7 in 17 is hardly a purple patch anyway. OK it is compared to 3 in 28, but the way people go on about it you'd think he was like Haaland there. And he had Diallo on the wing.

clint van damme

I'm joking mate , I hope Simms comes good , still too early to fully make an opinion, there is a concern with his goal return but let's see what happens

He's a real enigma, his contribution to the 2nd goal was reminiscent of Vik, but he's often underwhelming, I'm doubling, nay, trebling down in saying he'll come good.

Users who are viewing this thread