Martyn Waghorn (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

Lack of composure throughout the side.

clint van damme

he's not been the same since he returned.
I remember Strachan saying something along the lines of how some player can be 75% fit and still contribute but some players need to be 95-100%, I think Waghorn, at best, falls into the latter category.

Finham

he's not been the same since he returned.
I remember Strachan saying something along the lines of how some player can be 75% fit and still contribute but some players need to be 95-100%, I think Waghorn, at best, falls into the latter category.
Roland, Wise, Hignett, Strachan himself...

CDK

Thought he was well rusty with early poor composure when he came on.viktor awesome today along with the rest of the starting line up.

Anyone else notice how he was off down the tunnel while all the other players were applauding the fans? Did the same at Middlesbrough as well. I think he did applaud but only on his way to the dressing room! Yet to be convinced by him.

stupot07

He was playing well before his injury, his link up play and movement is excellent. He should have scored 2 today, but he has only just come back from injury and being used as sub. Gyokeres seems to like playing with him, I think he just needs a run of games, and he scores those chances.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

SlowerThanPlatt

Got to laugh how he's our marquee signing. Shows how we are overachieving.

Wouldn't be in the top 30 highest paid players in the Championship

Don’t really think that’s the criteria, he’s an established Championship striker with a 1 in 4 record and apparently is/was the highest paid player at the club

pusbccfc

Don’t really think that’s the criteria, he’s an established Championship striker with a 1 in 4 record and apparently is/was the highest paid player at the club

No but generally he'd not be a marquee signing at another other club at this level other than possibly Peterborough.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

It’s hard to put a rational point across without going to extremes. I like him, I think he adds qualities. He should have scored one of those chances, simple as that. Someone on this thread calling him a dud who hails O’Hare as the second coming, a player I also rate highly but also understand his limitations, I’d imagine his average position on the pitch is similar to Cals and current return is better. Unpopular, but I’m gonna see how he gets on with a fully fit run in the squad rather than write him off on fairly stop/start introduction with us. Very harsh to judge any player negatively today. As a club, we did ourselves proud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Philosopher

I think the point that some are trying to make is that at 32 suggesting “he needs time” or some notion that he’s developing isn’t right. He was signed as an experienced player who should be able to cut it at this level.

He hasn’t cut it.

We won’t be able to shift him on for a fee.

It unlikely that anyone will take him off us and pay him what his contract (probably) is for us.

Therefore, we need to keep him or pay him off.

Therefore, he takes up a proportion of our playing budget.

Signing players in their 30’s is a different proposition. It’s unlikely you’ll get a fee so they need to have a particular set of attributes - guile or leadership (Doyle, Fadz, Wise). Waghorn was a signing that I didn’t understand at the getgo.

CCFC54321

This is strange. Myself and the people I went to the game with thought waghorn was excellent when he came on? I’m the first to lay in to a player but I’m not having that waghorn was shit. His hold up play and touch was excellent at times.

Yes should have scored that header but he wasn’t shit at all.

Respect anyones opinion but I though waghorn was good at times yesterday.

P.S. Walker unused sub for Pompey.

pusbccfc

Just watching the highlights and Waghorn played some great touches and his movement was great.

Unfortunately like the majority of our squad, he's panicking in good positions. I don't think it's something we can sort in training. It's a mental/mindset problem that has snowballed throughout the season.

letsallsingtogether

we thought he did well as well.
Just watched MOTD the amount of missed chances from players better then Waghorn is unreal.
So many 1 on 1s straight at the keeper, and shedloads of headers worse then his.

Nick

Administrator
The thing was he looks like he's been in the gym too much.

His hold up play and first touches to lay it off were excellent but we needed somebody to be up there with gyo rather than another centre mid.

His header at the end was the worst of the lot. Hopefully if he gets a lot of game time he will get sharper.

SBT

I find it bizarre that O’Hare - who has years of progress ahead of him, contributes all around the pitch, actually stays fit, and doesn’t even play as a striker - is routinely slated for missing one good chance a game.

Whereas our highest paid striker who’s barely played all season comes on and misses a string of great chances, and suddenly we need to just give him (even) more time?

Grendel

I find it bizarre that O’Hare - who has years of progress ahead of him, contributes all around the pitch, actually stays fit, and doesn’t even play as a striker - is routinely slated for missing one good chance a game.

Whereas our highest paid striker who’s barely played all season comes on and misses a string of great chances, and suddenly we need to just give him (even) more time?

To be honest we are stuck with him anyway and goals have never really been his game he’s a 1 in 4 or 5. He used to have more pace but that seems fine now as well

cooperskyblue

I think Waghorn adds something, (not in terms of scoring goals) but he fits into how we build up our attacks. He also clearly has a good partnership with Vik aswell. If Waghorn had scored one of those chances yesterday he'd have been a hero, sadly he didn't and we have gone out. But kthe last 4 performances have been top and continue that for and surely the goals and wins will come.

shmmeee

I like him as a player, he’s not a striker though, more of an AM/forward. He organised the press really well and has great touch and intelligence. We’ve got two 20 goal forwards, not everyone has to be.

Missed some fucking sitters yesterday though.

Brighton Sky Blue

I like him as a player, he’s not a striker though, more of an AM/forward. He organised the press really well and has great touch and intelligence. We’ve got two 20 goal forwards, not everyone has to be.

Missed some fucking sitters yesterday though.

I’d want him taking set pieces and long shots mind

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

O'Hare misses chance after chance every week, this is essentially Waghorn's 'first offence'.

The problem is we miss chances all over the pitch and if Waghorn carries on like he did yesterday it won't be long before people start getting frustrated with him too.

To be honest I don't care so much about putting a shift in, just put the ball in the bloody net.

Grendel

O'Hare misses chance after chance every week, this is essentially Waghorn's 'first offence'.

The problem is we miss chances all over the pitch and if Waghorn carries on like he did yesterday it won't be long before people start getting frustrated with him too.

To be honest I don't care so much about putting a shift in, just put the ball in the bloody net.

Waghorn missed a sitter against QPR after O Hare perfectly set him up

covcity4life

I don't really mind that he missed the chance more the fact he took the basic decision to just shoot instead of try lobbing or go round him etc. Just seemed like he didn't have confidence to try score just happy with a shot on target

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Waghorn missed a sitter against QPR after O Hare perfectly set him up

It isn't really a competition between who has missed the most chances. O'Hare is the biggest blunt instrument in our attack in that sense.

Sure, Waghorn might catch him up if he carries on like yesterday, but there isn't even a comparison at this point.

End point still stands. We are awful in front of goal.

Sick Boy

It isn't really a competition between who has missed the most chances. O'Hare is the biggest blunt instrument in our attack in that sense.

Sure, Waghorn might catch him up if he carries on like yesterday, but there isn't even a comparison at this point.

It’s feel more like a reluctance to shoot at times rather than being awful.

fernandopartridge

Ignoring Waghorn miss against QPR then

SBT

In terms of contribution this season it’s laughable to even put Waghorn in the same conversation as O’Hare.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Ignoring Waghorn miss against QPR then
In terms of contribution this season it’s laughable to even put Waghorn in the same conversation as O’Hare.

You are both missing the point.

Waghorn will get as much stick as O'Hare and probably more, if he misses chances like that every week. O'Hare is getting stick because he has missed these chances most games over and over again.

SBT

You are both missing the point.

Waghorn will get as much stick as O'Hare and probably more, if he misses chances like that every week. O'Hare is getting stick because he has missed these chances most games over and over again.

My point is that it’s irrelevant if O’Hare has missed more chances than Waghorn, because the former has been one of our best players this season while the latter has been stuck on the treatment table at great expense. The idea that it could ever be considered a wash between them, by any metric, is just silly.

Users who are viewing this thread