Martyn Waghorn (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

You are both missing the point.

Waghorn will get as much stick as O'Hare and probably more, if he misses chances like that every week. O'Hare is getting stick because he has missed these chances most games over and over again.
He doesn't miss gilt edged chances every game at all

Grendel

You are both missing the point.

Waghorn will get as much stick as O'Hare and probably more, if he misses chances like that every week. O'Hare is getting stick because he has missed these chances most games over and over again.

O hare is one of the best footballers we’ve signed since relegation from the premiership

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

My point is that it’s irrelevant if O’Hare has missed more chances than Waghorn, because the former has been one of our best players this season while the latter has been stuck on the treatment table at great expense. The idea that it could ever be considered a wash between them, by any metric, is just silly.

Sure, but that isn't what I was talking about here. Maybe you quoted me by accident.

Grendel

Of course it is relevant.

The poster in question was asking why O'Hare gets more stick than Waghorn.

He doesn’t from people who understand football and his contribution

SBT

Sure, but that isn't what I was talking about here. Maybe you quoted me by accident.

No, it was quite deliberate

We all know O’Hare has trouble finishing. But given the huge contributions he makes elsewhere, to single him out for it seems like a…..choice.

Waghorn, by contrast, is supposedly here to score goals. Maybe if he contributed elsewhere I’d be a bit kinder to him, but he doesn’t, so I’m not. No-one should have to wait and see if he deserves the same criticism/praise as Callum O’Hare, one of our best players, because he plainly doesn’t.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

No, it was quite deliberate

We all know O’Hare has trouble finishing. But given the huge contributions he makes elsewhere, to single him out for it seems like a…..choice.

Waghorn, by contrast, is supposedly here to score goals. Maybe if he contributed elsewhere I’d be a bit kinder to him, but he doesn’t, so I’m not. No-one should have to wait and see if he deserves the same criticism/praise as Callum O’Hare, one of our best players, because he plainly doesn’t.

The team as a whole has an issue missing chances. O'Hare is one of the most guilty. If you are asking why Waghorn doesn't get more stick then you must realise that the amount of games each player has played this season isn't comparable and is therefore the biggest reason.

Fans have had all season to see O'Hare miss chances and fail to provide a decent enough level of final product. This has caused frustration. No one is suggesting he doesn't do more on the pitch than Waghorn, but Waghorn had hardly played. If Waghorn misses chances like yesterday for the next few weeks he will get more stick than O'Hare inevitably.

Grendel

No one is suggesting he doesn't do more on the pitch than Waghorn, but Waghorn had hardly played.

So the only reason he does more is he’s played more? This is a senseless discussion

rob9872

Such result orientated hyperbollocks on here. If he pops that in he's a hero and it's 10s all round. Look at his contribution even in the build up to the big chance he missed. He should've scored, but he didn't, move on.

SBT

The team as a whole has an issue missing chances. O'Hare is one of the most guilty. If you are asking why Waghorn doesn't get more stick then you must realise that the amount of games each player has played this season isn't comparable and is therefore the biggest reason.

Fans have had all season to see O'Hare miss chances and fail to provide a decent enough level of final product. This has caused frustration. No one is suggesting he doesn't do more on the pitch than Waghorn, but Waghorn had hardly played. If Waghorn misses chances like yesterday for the next few weeks he will get more stick than O'Hare inevitably.

It’s an unfortunate fact for him, and I’m not saying he deserves stick for it, but one of the main reasons we don’t have many alternative options going forward is because Waghorn has spent most of the year injured, and the rest of the year not doing a great deal. Considering the amount of resources he’s sucked up this season, he doesn’t get anything like the amount of scrutiny he deserves.

It’s very generous of you to say a 32 year-old, highly paid journeyman like Waghorn deserves more time - I’m just doubtful he has much more to offer, and I only wish that other, younger, better players were afforded the same patience.

rob9872

It’s an unfortunate fact for him, and I’m not saying he deserves stick for it, but one of the main reasons we don’t have many alternative options going forward is because Waghorn has spent most of the year injured, and the rest of the year not doing a great deal. Considering the amount of resources he’s sucked up this season, he doesn’t get anything like the amount of scrutiny he deserves.

It’s very generous of you to say a 32 year-old, highly paid journeyman like Waghorn deserves more time - I’m just doubtful he has much more to offer, and I only wish that other, younger, better players were afforded the same patience.
Could also argue he's geen around long enough to know what we were getting. If you don't perceive that to be value and you're entitled to that opinion, then your criticism should be of Robins and the recruitment team, not of how much budget he's sucking up.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Where did I say he deserves more time?

I'm really not sure what you are trying to argue with me about. I'm generally agreeing with you.

PVA

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape when someone criticises O'Hare's finishing.

It's possible to think he's one of our best players but is a terrible finisher.

Because someone says his finishing is crap does not mean they are saying he's shit. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

clint van damme

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape when someone criticises O'Hare's finishing.

It's possible to think he's one of our best players but is a terrible finisher.

Because someone says his finishing is crap does not mean they are saying he's shit. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

Unfortunately there are people who do exactly that but don't acknowledge his attributes.
I've not seen anyone try and defend his finishing just point out that despite how poor he is in front of goal he brings a lot to the team.

Tommo1993

O’Hare one of my favourites. But a player in his position really should be chipping in with goals. Surely it’s not unfair to expect at least 5-10 goals from him across a 46+ game period.

clint van damme

O’Hare one of my favourites. But a player in his position really should be chipping in with goals. Surely it’s not unfair to expect at least 5-10 goals from him across a 46+ game period.

Nothing wrong with expecting that from him, though I don't think you'll get your wish unfortunately.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Looks off the pace and carrying extra timber

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread